Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So are we a firm 'no' on North Texas?
Yeah, well I left out Rice and Sam Houston too. I thought my other choices were funnier.

The best way the non TX schools can beat back the UH issue is to have Fox dump on them the bad financial news regarding the value of their tv deal in 2026 in a 5 TX school scenario.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise at all but WTF: Big 12 deal may be brewing between UT, Houston | Hookem.comw

>>Supporters of the University of Houston have indicated they would consider dropping their opposition to the University of Texas’ expansion in Houston in exchange for a deal that allows the Cougars to join the Big 12 Conference, the American-Statesman has learned.<<

Reaction Score
I can't see Houston getting in unless they take 4 teams. The Texas Gov and Lt Gov can say all they want..there are 6 schools in the B-12 that aren't in the state of TX and there for aren't accountable to those 2.

What if Texas is accountable to them? Those other schools might quickly develop a change of heart toward UH.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The positive is 14 is where B12 should be at. All other P5s have 14 except for PAC-12, which will probably look to add two more soon. With 14, UCONN, Houston, Cincy, and BYU would be good adds. I would question the sanity of adding another Texas school, but if that's the only way to get the expansion done so be it. I suspect adding Houston would really piss off other existing B12 schools. A conference with 5 Texas schools is just way too unbalanced.

I'm in Dallas and I can see where the Big 12 is a little concerned about the #5 metro area (Houston) slipping away to the SEC. A&M is big in Houston, and the Big 12 will not tolerate losing that chunk of Texas to the SEC. With the political pressure, Houston's improving FB, and their new stadium, I think Houston may be a done deal.

But from what I've read, they're adding four. Let's say BYU and Cincinnati are ahead of us (even though that is far from certain), that means we just have to beat out Memphis and Colorado State. I don't think they'll take a Florida directional school.

Even in the convoluted world of realignment, I have to think we're better than CSU and Memphis. Right?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Baylor and TCU are private institutions. Are they in the b12 because of Texas politics? I don't know the history.

Baylor is in the Big 12 because Governor Ann Richards forced that to happen when the Big 12 formed.

TCU was just a hot football team when the Big 12 lost several schools. Politics was not involved.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need to disregard anyone mentioning Memphis or Tulane.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's nice...

Greg Abbott@GregAbbott_TX 24 mins ago
I'm also working to help the University of Houston be elite off the field by attracting top researchers. @UHouston
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...ott-brings-brain-power-to-uh-other-texas.html

Jayzus. Texas good ol' boy politics.

Someone tell someone in Texas that Governor Malloy just threw down $1.5 BILLION (with a B) for UConn recently for research expansion projects. That does not include the hundreds of millions spent prior to that on general campus expansions and our FBS upgrade.

$1.5B > $34M. You need evidence of a complete and through backing from a school inside its home market? That right there is it. Fund another $1.496 BILLION (with a B) to Houston and then we can talk about how much backing Houston really has.

This kind of stuff drives me absolutely nuts. Either the Governor is p1ssed because he threw away $34M to a garbage school under the guise that is what was needed to get Houston into the Big 12, hence all of these hogwash comments. Or, this is his way of acting like the Texas father disciplining his eldest (and favorite) son to play nice his youngest brothers. "Y'all play nice now, Gregory. There'll be plenty o'succotash for all y'all boys after football practice." Maybe both.

Reaction Score
I can't see Houston getting in unless they take 4 teams. The Texas Gov and Lt Gov can say all they want..there are 6 schools in the B-12 that aren't in the state of TX and there for aren't accountable to those 2.

The positive in this scenario is that with 4 teams and one of them (Houston) having political clout there might be a fairer deal coming down the pike with less of a reduction needed to satisfy current members. Go for 4 please!!!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So in your mind, it would be BYU, UH, UC and UConn. I don't see BYU fitting in well. But who knows.

I'm sure we'll see a thousand different projections of this:

North ... UConn, WVU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, BYU

South ... Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

It will be an odd duck no matter what we do.

Reaction Score
Adding Houston means B12 has to go to 14. If they just add Cincy and Houston, it would look like crap to most fans. It also added no major markets or anything. If they added UCONN, BYU, Cincy, and Houston, at least it will hide the Houston addition since UCONN and BYU would make up for the lackluster Houston addition.

Let's hope B12 goes to 14 like every other P5 conference. With 14, we are almost guarantee to be in.

Reaction Score
I'm sure we'll see a thousand different projections of this:

North ... UConn, WVU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, BYU

South ... Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

It will be an odd duck no matter what we do.
I meant BYU being added as a football-only school. 15 in other sports doesn't sound comfortable to work with.

Reaction Score
Texas hasn't elected a decent statewide politician since the 1990 election but it's really not surprising because most Texans are idiots. I'm a proud, native Texan and even I hate other Texans. It seems like everywhere in the world I go, the biggest idiot in the room is always another Texan.

I could tell stories. Oh well. That's my cross to bear.

That said, THIS is why the Big 12 has to take four.
Let me get this straight. Texas economy is among the most healthy in the USA>. Our economy is in the tank.It's population is growing our is shrinking. Yet "most Texans are idiots"?
What we really need to seal our fate is for Blumenthal to sue the Big 12. That did the trick with the ACC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Adding Houston means B12 has to go to 14. If they just add Cincy and Houston, it would look like crap to most fans. It also added no major markets or anything. If they added UCONN, BYU, Cincy, and Houston, at least it will hide the Houston addition since UCONN and BYU would make up for the lackluster Houston addition.

Let's hope B12 goes to 14 like every other P5 conference. With 14, we are almost guarantee to be in.
#PrayFor4

Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter 13m13 minutes ago Oklahoma, USA
Texas Tech issues statement on Houston:
CoAEPI6VIAE8W0n.jpg:large

Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter 13m13 minutes ago Oklahoma, USA
Texas Tech issues statement on Houston:
CoAEPI6VIAE8W0n.jpg:large

Public statements of support like this seem forced to me. Maybe TT really wants Houston, or maybe they are just publicly saying they do so that they won't get to much push back when Houston is not selected.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The Big 12 has said travel distances are not a factor. They're looking for the four best schools. None of the candidates are perfect, but I have to believe there are two groups:

1) UConn, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston
2) Memphis, Colorado State, UCF, USF

The only problem I see for them is if BYU has some issue holding them back (they can be difficult). Then the Big 12 would have to dip down into the second group.

Reaction Score
I said this this spring before the earlier meeting. This is the same garbage that happened when UVA forced the ACC to take VA Tech

Houston has a strong story though in terms of market, access to NBA and NFL facilities for larger games, large enrollment and investing in facilities

I am very cautious on UConn's chances based 70% on location, 10% on UConn's relatively lousy football product and 20% on the poor recruiting in CT and New England

The market is somewhat attractive if you believe a) anyone in the Northeast cares about college football, which is a huge question mark, b) they have any plans to consider a network at some point

If I was the B12 and I took UConn I'd basically require they play at least 1 game a year in either Yankee stadium or Met Life

UT or OU @ met Life and in other years 1 @ Yankee stadium

Would suck, but part of the marketing of B12 to NYC. I would also do the same for hoops, 1-2 UConn home games @ MSG or Barclays.

Reaction Score
Utah Governor makes a funny:

Gov. Gary Herbert ‏@GovHerbert · 23h23 hours ago
I think you meant to say @BYU Governor.

Gov. Gary Herbert Retweeted Greg Abbott

Greg Abbott
‏@GregAbbott_TX
Big 12 expansion is a non-starter unless it includes University of Houston. @UHouston

Gov. Gary Herbert
@GovHerbert

Proudly serving as the 17th governor of the great state of Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members