Texas @ Baylor - 1/25/18 | The Boneyard

Texas @ Baylor - 1/25/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
This oughta be good - thanks for the reminder!

Old sheriff vs. new sheriff in a jacket throwin', heal stompin' Big 12 smackown!

upload_2018-1-25_1-19-24.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If TX plays as well as they played against UConn they may keep it within single digits but that is a big if. TX is not consistent and Baylor generally has their number. Baylor wins by 15 imho. Whatever people think about their weak OOC schedule, Baylor is FF level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think TX controls the game with their guard play and superior team depth.

Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Who's stopping Brown and Cox? Joyner Holmes where are you?
I would love to see Texas win but I do not think they have an answer for Kalani Brown.
Also @ Baylor makes it all the more unlikely.
While Baylor appears to have an advantage up front, TX has a couple physical 6’4” players who can at least put bodies on Brown & Cox. IMO, the biggest difference in this game will be at G/W where TX has 4 solid players, while only Wallace has been consistently solid for Baylor all season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
On one hand, I think Brown and Cox will have a lot of fun, until Joyner Holmes realizes she's allowed to play basketball again.

On the other hand, Wallace fills a lot of roles for Coach Kim and Texas has a number of players to throw at her in the backcourt.

Still, height and home make me think Bears in this one.

Reaction Score
Baylor only has 10 players listed on the roster, but she uses them all. The lowest average minutes is 9. The rest have double digit minutes with the starters ranging from 25.6 - 28.0 mpg. Those starter minutes may go up playing against Texas, but so far it looks like Mulkey has kept her team fresh. Will it pay off in the long in the long run?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have a bad feeling about this game. Texas played exceptionally well against UCONN and completely destroyed TTU in their last outing.

The key to this game, IMO, is Alexis Morris. How much does Mulkey keep her on the court? Natalie Chou is not fast enough to keep up with the Texas guards and if Mulkey keeps Chou on the court instead of Morris, Baylor may be in trouble.

Cohen also must step up for Baylor. She provides a big body guarding the 3 position and is ultra athletic. She should present trouble for UT on the perimeter.

Brown and Cox should dominate in the paint.

However, the Texas guards are fast, faster and fastest. Their transition offense may be too much for Baylor to keep up with. If Baylor doesn't shoot a good percentage from the floor it could turn into a speed contest. Baylor cannot fall in love with the three point shot because long range misses result in fast break opportunities.

It pains me to say it, but I think Texas wins this one. Texas has been playing well and Baylor, although winning by about 30 points per game, has not looked as sharp as they did earlier in the season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My heart says Texas. My gut says Baylor. :cool:

Reaction Score
IDK....I want BU and I think they have the advantage, but it's Texas and they are good. Finally playing closer to their true potential.
Parts of me think this team at times is stronger than last years team, but having only 4 reserves with Texas is hard. Cohen played a lot of minutes last year due to foul trouble. I think Lauren and Kalani are much improved this year.

I have to miss the game for a work event. So I am recording it and if they win I'll watch tonight and if they lose can't promise I will watch.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
This will be a fight until the end. This game will depend on which Texas team shows up. If the team that played UConn shows up, Baylor can lose this one. Baylor only has 9 players available, so the fast pace of Texas could wear them out. Baylor will need everyone playing great defense as I expect both teams will score quite a bit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I like Texas in this match-up despite it being at Baylor as I think they have turned the corner on needing to be consistent. They have played a significantly tougher schedule than Baylor so the fact Kim plays 10 was irrelevant to me. Baylor lost to UCLA who has an athletic inside game and very good guard play. Yes, I know Cox didn't play and Mulkey was not there due to a sad family issue but still Baylor struggled. Texas has front line depth and while Brown is the best player on the floor it's not by much (Atkins, McCarty, Higgs) and she is still susceptible to foul trouble. I was impressed with Caron-Goudreau's defense and with Jatari White's physical play so there is size to combat the twin towers of BU. I think Texas can run Baylor into exhaustion with their superior guard play. Mulkey will need to avoid a melt-down on her team (she always get a tad nutty when playing Texas) and if she does it should be close.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As ETT said/alluded to, Baylor has the advantage in the post (Brown/Cox), but Texas has the advantage with guard play. If the Texas guards stink up the joint like they did vs. Tennessee, then Baylor wins handily IMHO. However, if the Texas guards can control the game (after all, guards have the ball in their hands most of the time), and Texas plays like they did against UCONN and TTU, then Texas wins.

Reaction Score
Check out the Baylor stats against Kansas St
baylorkansaaststats.jpg

19 rebounds each for Brown and Cox. How often do you see something like that? On top of that, Cox registers a team high 5 assists and 2 blks. She'd have to keep this trajectory going, but I'm adding Cox to my early call for 2020 lottery picks along with Ionescu.

Reaction Score
This is the one matchup that I’ve waited all season for other than the UConn - Louisville matchup. I’m so excited about this game because Baylor is my second favorite team other than UConn. This matchup could literally go either way. The only consistent player on either team all season has been Kalani Brown (who Texas has no answer for; other than foul trouble) and maybe Lauren Cox. Brown was the leading scorer in both games last year: 24 in Waco, 35 in Austin so it will be interesting to see how they guard her now that she’s a year older. Dekeiya Cohen and Alexis Morris can provide big sparks for Baylor. Kristy Wallace may or may not have a good game. Texas guards Atkins, McCarty, and Higgs have all been progressing as the season goes on, but you really don’t know who’s gonna show up tonight. Jatarie White has been better than I expected her to be and Caron-Goudreau has been providing good minutes all season. Interested to see what Joyner Holmes will do; Aston hasn’t been consistent in player rotation so you never know many minutes she will get. The other guards for both teams Landrum (Baylor) and Sutton (Texas) can provide good minutes as well. I’m all over the place with my commentary lol, but blame my excitement. I also really hope Baylor finally gets over the hump and make it to the final four this year.

Reaction Score
This is the one matchup that I’ve waited all season for other than the UConn - Louisville matchup. I’m so excited about this game because Baylor is my second favorite team other than UConn. This matchup could literally go either way. The only consistent player on either team all season has been Kalani Brown (who Texas has no answer for; other than foul trouble) and maybe Lauren Cox. Brown was the leading scorer in both games last year: 24 in Waco, 35 in Austin so it will be interesting to see how they guard her now that she’s a year older. Dekeiya Cohen and Alexis Morris can provide big sparks for Baylor. Kristy Wallace may or may not have a good game. Texas guards Atkins, McCarty, and Higgs have all been progressing as the season goes on, but you really don’t know who’s gonna show up tonight. Jatarie White has been better than I expected her to be and Caron-Goudreau has been providing good minutes all season. Interested to see what Joyner Holmes will do; Aston hasn’t been consistent in player rotation so you never know many minutes she will get. The other guards for both teams Landrum (Baylor) and Sutton (Texas) can provide good minutes as well. I’m all over the place with my commentary lol, but blame my excitement. I also really hope Baylor finally gets over the hump and make it to the final four this year.

That is how I feel! Morris may actually be the quickest on the floor or tied with the Guards of TX Higgs and McCarty. However, I think the Cohen/Atkins matchup is good. Morris on McCarty will be a good one too. This game can truly go either way. Also, if Natalie is hitting shots and out of her slump it may be a lot for Texas to stop her and the post duo.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I will have the popcorn in hand. Got a feeling it will turn green during the game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Just because Texas played us tough doesn't mean they will be the same with Baylor. But we'll see. Hoping for a close exciting game!

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I went with Texas, but mostly cause I really want them to win ... we'll see

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No dog in this fight, so I'll sit back and enjoy what I hope is a real dog fight in which Kim (Baylor right or wrong) Mulkey gets T'd up and throws things.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I would like to see Baylor win but my head says Texas wins this thing going away...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom