Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC?

Reaction Score
You don't need to worry about the LHN.

ESPN offered Texas the LHN (and $15 million annually) to keep it away from joining the PAC (and FOX TV) back in 2010; mission accomplished. Texas joining the SEC now is a huge win for ESPN.

LHN would be dissolved altogether; ESPN is losing money on that deal for sure. Texas gains more (revenue) by joining the SEC than by remaining in the Big 12 with the LHN revenue.

In other words, neither Texas nor ESPN will fight to keep LHN alive.

The only possible concession I could see the SEC making for Texas and Oklahoma would be providing them 100% the same revenue as existing conference members in year one; typically, new member schools earn less than 100% equal revenue the first few years before becoming "equal" revenue partners.
I think all SEC additions have gotten a full share from Day 1.

TV markets still matter but not nearly as much as they did 10 years ago when everything that happened was about cable carriage fees.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm for the move, but I get the concern and I understand it from both views. IMO, the SEC has to act fast and that will factor into this decision. Superconferences are coming whether we like it or not and somebody has to gain leverage by making the first move. I'm sure the SEC wants to be the catalyst and not the one reacting. I think that's important here. If superconferences are coming then the SEC wants to be the one having their teams already picked and watching the fallout. The SEC has a history of playing chess while everybody else is playing checkers and always being at a position of strength.. and I doubt it changes anytime soon.

There are currently five major conferences - SEC, PAC, B1G, ACC, Big12.. and of the 5, only 4 are likely to exist when superconferences become a thing. The ACC and Big 12 are ripe for the pickings when it comes to establishing superconferences, so one of these leagues will not exist in it's current state when superconferences come and I think the Big 12 is the most likely to full on collapse. I think there are plenty of us that would much rather see the SEC expand into NC and VA, but I really can't see the ACC letting NC State and VT get away from them and if I'm being honest, the ACC is doing quite well financially and athletically as a league right now. They are stable.

On the other hand, the Big 12 is not. In recent years, they've already lost Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M and the conference is on shaky ground with other members oftentimes threatening to bolt and no major TV network holding them together. Gaining schools is one thing, but it's sign of distress when there's a wave of schools leaving your conference.

If the ACC isn't an option for the SEC in order to get to 16 then your only other option is the Big 12.. and the best fits in that league are Texas and OU.

The SEC betta keep their greasy paws off of the ACC... or else.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The SEC betta keep their greasy paws off of the ACC... or else.
A few years ago there were whispers about the SEC and NC State and the Wolfpack were definitely interested. Tobacco Road shut that down real quick though. ACC is a tough nut to crack.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A few years ago there were whispers about the SEC and NC State and the Wolfpack were definitely interested. Tobacco Road shut that down real quick though. ACC is a tough nut to crack.

I'm sure their fanbase was interested.... they are like TAMU ... I can't see their administration being behind a move... not like it would ever happen.

Reaction Score
I remember when the there was a possibility to the Texas and Oklahoma joining the Pac 12 AND and what put the kabash on the deal was Oklahoma did not want to go without Oklahoma St and the Pac 12 just wanted Texas and Oklahoma. I guess they changed their minds. This will kill the league so that what will be left is only four majors. Will make it convenent for them to create their own national playoffs and eliminate the NCAA entirely. The NCAA brought this on themselves.

Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong SEC guy and I still don't like that Missouri is in the league. A&M with it's location in Texas and history seems to be a better fit if the conference was expanding. Of course it took me almost a decade to get accustomed to Arkansas and SC in the SEC (and that was the football fan in me).

Frankly if the SEC were to expand I would hope for OK and OK State. If TX wants to leave I see them more B10 or PAC. I get the attractiveness of the $$ Texas would bring but they also bring a lot of ego and attitude. From what I could interpret A&M wanted to be in the league to get away from TX and has proven they are a good match.

I do think the Power 5 becomes Power 4 at some point and this could be the start of that. I feel for the Big 12 as they are the one most likely to get squeezed out.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong SEC guy and I still don't like that Missouri is in the league. A&M with it's location in Texas and history seems to be a better fit if the conference was expanding. Of course it took me almost a decade to get accustomed to Arkansas and SC in the SEC (and that was the football fan in me).

Frankly if the SEC were to expand I would hope for OK and OK State. If TX wants to leave I see them more B10 or PAC. I get the attractiveness of the $$ Texas would bring but they also bring a lot of ego and attitude. From what I could interpret A&M wanted to be in the league to get away from TX and has proven they are a good match.

I do think the Power 5 becomes Power 4 at some point and this could be the start of that. I feel for the Big 12 as they are the one most likely to get squeezed out.
A&M decided to leave the Big 12 after ESPN offered Texas the Longhorn Network and $15 million annual revenue for 20 years; this offer was made to keep Texas from joining the PAC and FOX. A&M knew they could not stand pat and fall behind Texas by that much revenue each year; that would mean falling behind in athletic facilities; and then falling behind in recruiting.

I have no issue with A&M making the best financial decision they could 10 years ago or so; it made perfect sense to me.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the other conferences are looking to expand like they did in 2014. I know the Big 10 may be interested in Kansas but who will the other team be.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

A minimum of 6 months? The poor Aggies.

tenor-11.gif

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I wonder if the other conferences are looking to expand like they did in 2014. I know the Big 10 may be interested in Kansas but who will the other team be.
There just aren't a lot of schools open to leaving their current conference who would add significant financial revenue to a conference like the B1G. Adding new members won't happen if the prospective candidates lower the current annual payout each school is receiving.

Kansas and Iowa State are AAU members; so, they meet the B1G's academic criteria. But, don't think either would increase the B1G's financial revenue enough.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
When would this take effect? The article says current media agreements expire in 2025, "however, that does not mean the move will not happen sooner." So potentially 2022-20223? Or even as soon as this fall?
I doubt it will be this fall. I can see a 2022-23 start if approved by the SEC.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
At the earliest, for the 2023-24 season. So, at least 2 years away IMO.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good move by Coach Mulkey getting out when she did.
I heard that that was one of the factors for the OU/UT move.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Ok. Well, at least we don't have to play Alabama every single year in football. Kim and Vic are gonna dominate the West while the East is gonna probably be Tennessee and South Carolina with SC ahead of UT by a step. Conference gets stronger in softball, but I don't it makes any difference in baseball.

West

Oklahoma
Texas
A&M
Missouri
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU

East

Florida
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky
Alabama
Auburn

Reaction Score
When would this take effect? The article says current media agreements expire in 2025, "however, that does not mean the move will not happen sooner." So potentially 2022-20223? Or even as soon as this fall?
Absolutely not this fall
Subsequent years before 25 would mean exit fees

Reaction Score
Ok. Well, at least we don't have to play Alabama every single year in football. Kim and Vic are gonna dominate the West while the East is gonna probably be Tennessee and South Carolina with SC ahead of UT by a step. Conference gets stronger in softball, but I don't it makes any difference in baseball.

West

Oklahoma
Texas
A&M
Missouri
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU

East

Florida
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Georgia
Kentucky
Alabama
Auburn
No divisions in basketball. Hopefully, they'll start scheduling the best matchups twice rather than being all fair about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom