Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC? | The Boneyard

Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe my memory is shot, but didnt Texas A & M and Missouri leave the Big 12, for the SEC, because Texas started the Longhorn Network. I dont remember all of the details? Now Texas might join the SEC? Will they have to drop the Longhorn Network vs ESPN/SEC partnership?

Reaction Score

No thanks. The driving force is additional markets for broadcasting. We want a school from Virginia (UVA or VA Tech) and North Carolina (UNC or NC State). The latter in each state probably fits the best.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Looks like it's happening.

Geoff Ketchum and Anwar Richardson
Staff report

Orangebloods publisher Geoff Ketchum and I have checked in with multiple sources on Wednesday and asked about Texas’ desire to leave the Big 12 and join the SEC.

Texas and Oklahoma are ready to make that move.

A high-level university official informed Orangebloods the expectation is that Texas and Oklahoma would inform the Big 12 as early as next week that both schools intend to decline on extending the existing set of media rights. The contract expires in 2025.

"That should start the dominos," the source told Orangebloods.

That major piece of news Orangebloods learned coincides with an earlier report on Wednesday.

Houston Chronicle’s Brent Zwerneman was the first to report Texas and Oklahoma reached out to the SEC about joining that conference. Zwerneman also said, “An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first national super-conference.”

In addition, Orangebloods was told a move to the SEC would signal the end of the LHN and that the school has come to terms with this. Another source told me he would not be surprised if LHN simply folded into the SEC Network (both are owned by ESPN).

The most interesting Texas-OU development centers around what has not occurred on Wednesday.
Texas officials routinely dismiss stories they believe are inaccurate. Not one media outlet in Austin cited an anonymous Texas source that disputed the reported league change.

In fact, our sources did not want to directly address the rumor.

I previously reported a high-level Texas official’s response to me was “nothing to say” when I inquired about departing the SEC. A few hours later, the same source told me “When I can talk, you know I will.”

Of course, Texas officials believe Texas A&M leaked the story to make it harder for the Longhorns to switch conferences. Texas officials believe the leak creates friction for Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 and SEC.

Austin American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls reported Texas A&M and Missouri would vote against adding Texas and Oklahoma. Bohls said only two more votes against the Longhorns and Sooners would be necessary to prevent those teams from switching conferences.
However, a source told Orangebloods, “This will take some time but the interest by both sides is there.”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"Of course, Texas officials believe Texas A&M leaked the story to make it harder for the Longhorns to switch conferences. Texas officials believe the leak creates friction for Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 and SEC."

Reaction Score
This needs to happen. It would only help grow the women’s game if Vic, Dawn, Kim, Gary, Joni, etc. are coaching against each other. Also from a football/revenue perspective Texas and OU can bring in a ton more money, especially Texas. I think it’ll divide all sports programs with a 8 team regional for Western teams and Eastern teams but it’ll be better for teams like Missouri( who plays in the SEC East) to now stay more regional versus always traveling far for games. I think it’ll be very good to build teams in a Super Conference mode versus keeping them under 12 to 14 teams. The move would likely cause an end to the Big 12 though… I could see WVU joining the ACC or Big 10 and Iowa St, Kansas, and Kansas St going to the Big 10. Not sure what the other Texas schools will do.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This needs to happen. It would only help grow the women’s game if Vic, Dawn, Kim, Gary, Joni, etc. are coaching against each other. Also from a football/revenue perspective Texas and OU can bring in a ton more money, especially Texas. I think it’ll divide all sports programs with a 8 team regional for Western teams and Eastern teams but it’ll be better for teams like Missouri( who plays in the SEC East) to now stay more regional versus always traveling far for games. I think it’ll be very good to build teams in a Super Conference mode versus keeping them under 12 to 14 teams. The move would likely cause an end to the Big 12 though… I could see WVU joining the ACC or Big 10 and Iowa St, Kansas, and Kansas St going to the Big 10. Not sure what the other Texas schools will do.
There definitely will be collateral damage amongh the remaining Big 12 schools.

ACC has 15 members, and will hold out for Notre Dame until eternity. So, not an option for West Virginia, IMO.

Both Iowa State and Kansas are AAU members, so they have the academic requirements the B1G covets. But, the B1G recent additions have been all about adding TV sets. They already have Iowa, so ISU adds nothing. Kansas has a huge men's basketball presence; they are the most realistic option to gain an invite from the B1G.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech almost joined the PAC back in 2010; but, that was when Texas and Oklahoma were part of the deal.

PAC 12 does not want to add any schools with religious affiliations (which is why BYU never got an invite). So, that rules out TCU and Baylor.

So, Big 12 (other than Kansas) would be best served to remain a conference, but invite some new members like Central Florida, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc.

Reaction Score
Vic back in the SEC would be interesting.

Getting the Texas media markets (Dallas-FW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio would be huge. That's why the Big 10 wanted Maryland and Rutgers so bad even though they are poor football programs. Washington-Baltimore-New York media markets.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Vic back in the SEC would be interesting.

Getting the Texas media markets (Dallas-FW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio would be huge. That's why the Big 10 wanted Maryland and Rutgers so bad even though they are poor football programs. Washington-Baltimore-New York media markets.

I always thought the B1G would try to get Texas in order to gain entrance into the Texas TV markets (SEC already had some of that with Texas A&M).

But, I think the B1G wanted Kansas and Texas, but Texas didn't want to break ties with Oklahoma (who is not an AAU member).

Geographically and culturally, the SEC is the best fit for Texas; perhaps also for OU.

Reaction Score
SEC would easily be the premiere athletic conference if this happens. They may already be there now, but this would surely put them over the top.

Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of having Texas in the SEC. I feel like they would try to bully their way to the top. I would love to have Vic back in conference but I feel like Texas would try to get unique perks (such as LHN) to try and posture themselves as the premiere SEC team. I think Texas would break the unity we have as a conference. I would rather bring in Oklahoma and another team.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I don't like the idea of having Texas in the SEC. I feel like they would try to bully their way to the top. I would love to have Vic back in conference but I feel like Texas would try to get unique perks (such as LHN) to try and posture themselves as the premiere SEC team. I think Texas would break the unity we have as a conference. I would rather bring in Oklahoma and another team.
You don't need to worry about the LHN.

ESPN offered Texas the LHN (and $15 million annually) to keep it away from joining the PAC (and FOX TV) back in 2010; mission accomplished. Texas joining the SEC now is a huge win for ESPN.

LHN would be dissolved altogether; ESPN is losing money on that deal for sure. Texas gains more (revenue) by joining the SEC than by remaining in the Big 12 with the LHN revenue.

In other words, neither Texas nor ESPN will fight to keep LHN alive.

The only possible concession I could see the SEC making for Texas and Oklahoma would be providing them 100% the same revenue as existing conference members in year one; typically, new member schools earn less than 100% equal revenue the first few years before becoming "equal" revenue partners.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Texas has a hold over lesser teams in Texas. That is where their power was. The SEC is not Texas. The SEC is a power within itself. No team can rule such strong schools in that group. Not, Alabama or Texas. It's just too many heavy hands in there.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Big 12 would be done if that happened

I would enjoy Texas getting taken to the shed during football season tho.
I think the Big 12 is done regardless. Texas will jump at any chance.. SEC or not. They will eventually leave that league and when they do = DONEZO.

Reaction Score
while the media sports fans, and message boards take everything at face value, a Reminder: people/companies/universities behave strategically.

Are TX OU actually interested in the SEC or are they enhancing their leverage with the B12?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
while the media sports fans, and message boards take everything at face value, a Reminder: people/companies/universities behave strategically.

Are TX OU actually interested in the SEC or are they enhancing their leverage with the B12?
There's nothing to leverage. A few months ago, FOX and ESPN declined to begin discussing future TV contracts (current contracts end in 2025) with the Big 12 conference.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm for the move, but I get the concern and I understand it from both views. IMO, the SEC has to act fast and that will factor into this decision. Superconferences are coming whether we like it or not and somebody has to gain leverage by making the first move. I'm sure the SEC wants to be the catalyst and not the one reacting. I think that's important here. If superconferences are coming then the SEC wants to be the one having their teams already picked and watching the fallout. The SEC has a history of playing chess while everybody else is playing checkers and always being at a position of strength.. and I doubt it changes anytime soon.

There are currently five major conferences - SEC, PAC, B1G, ACC, Big12.. and of the 5, only 4 are likely to exist when superconferences become a thing. The ACC and Big 12 are ripe for the pickings when it comes to establishing superconferences, so one of these leagues will not exist in it's current state when superconferences come and I think the Big 12 is the most likely to full on collapse. I think there are plenty of us that would much rather see the SEC expand into NC and VA, but I really can't see the ACC letting NC State and VT get away from them and if I'm being honest, the ACC is doing quite well financially and athletically as a league right now. They are stable.

On the other hand, the Big 12 is not. In recent years, they've already lost Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M and the conference is on shaky ground with other members oftentimes threatening to bolt and no major TV network holding them together. Gaining schools is one thing, but it's sign of distress when there's a wave of schools leaving your conference.

If the ACC isn't an option for the SEC in order to get to 16 then your only other option is the Big 12.. and the best fits in that league are Texas and OU.

Reaction Score
There's nothing to leverage. A few months ago, FOX and ESPN declined to begin discussing future TV contracts (current contracts end in 2025) with the Big 12 conference.
There's always something to negotiate.

FOX doesn't want to begin discussion? Well how does Fox feel about a B12 contract without Texas & OU, and with a super SEC that ESPN has rights to?
And whatever the current B12 per-school revenue split is, it could always be tilted more in OU & UT's favor.

As I said, there's always something to negotiate.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Interesting how this news came during SEC media days for football.

Reaction Score
I won't miss the LHN. It seemed that a lot of the wbb games were on tape delay.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I won't miss the LHN. It seemed that a lot of the wbb games were on tape delay.
I don't recall that at all. Just about every women's hoops game was aired LIVE on LHN; afterwards, they were later replayed numerous times.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There's always something to negotiate.

FOX doesn't want to begin discussion? Well how does Fox feel about a B12 contract without Texas & OU, and with a super SEC that ESPN has rights to?
And whatever the current B12 per-school revenue split is, it could always be tilted more in OU & UT's favor.

As I said, there's always something to negotiate.
Since Texas and OU did not attend today's conference call, that tells me they are not in the mood to listen to anything the rest of the Big 12 schools have to say . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom