Texas A&M @ South Carolina - 12/31/17 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas A&M @ South Carolina - 12/31/17

Reaction Score
this isn't like her first game ever... if she never played with a shot clock I'd understand but she's a big girl she should understand the clock especially as a facilitator

she should of but she hasn't played on the big stage before and most of all she's human..................

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she should of but she hasn't played on the big stage before and most of all she's human...
exactly... I wonder if its been called in the W this past season?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If anyone is not sure how good the Aggies of Texas A&M are this year, this game should serve as a clue. They came within 2 points of winning a road game that they should have won against the #4 USC Gamecocks. There were several plays down the stretch that proved costly for the Aggies.

Plays that included a couple of timely calls against the Aggies (11-4, 0-1 SEC) -- a 10-second, timeline violation on one possession and a double-dribble call on Danni Williams as she tried to gather in the ball for a breakaway layup with 5 seconds left and the game tied at 59-all. I would not count on lightning striking twice for USC if they meet again in the SEC Conference tournament later this year.

[Story]

Carnac

Reaction Score
Did she visit SC officially? She attended Texas' summer camp prior to her senior season, but it was right after Chasity Patterson had just verbally committed to Texas; she never visited Texas officially. I recall her taking official visits to Kansas and A&M, but that was it.

KU women’s basketball to host two top-10 recruits at Late Night

Strange that I never saw these videos where she had Texas in her final 5, and I follow Texas recruiting very closely.

Chennedy Carter is OFF the Recruiting Board!

I see a common thread in Chennedy Carter that I can also see in Dangerfield and Moriah Jefferson. All 3 are quick, have a ton of moxie, possess an excellent handle, have a class A driver's license (with a passenger endorsement, as they take opponents to the hole) and can break ankles, or cause serious damage to someone's knees. :eek:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
this isn't like her first game ever... if she never played with a shot clock I'd understand but she's a big girl she should understand the clock especially as a facilitator
It's not the shot clock that was the problem. It was the ten second clock which was in effect all of her high school years so she should know better. I think she got a little too cool with the ball knowing that she had a chance to win the game on a last second shot. She is really good but she has a little too much hot dog in her game, imo. However, I don't see how the closest official could miss that one play when she was fouled on the wrist on a shot late in the game. That was very obvious. But she should have gotten up and hustled back on defense instead of complaining.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If anyone is not sure how good the Aggies of Texas A&M are this year, this game should serve as a clue. They came within 2 points of winning a road game that they should have won against the #4 USC Gamecocks. There were several plays down the stretch that proved costly for the Aggies.

Plays that included a couple of timely calls against the Aggies (11-4, 0-1 SEC) -- a 10-second, timeline violation on one possession and a double-dribble call on Danni Williams as she tried to gather in the ball for a breakaway layup with 5 seconds left and the game tied at 59-all. I would not count on lightning striking twice for USC if they meet again in the SEC Conference tournament later this year.

[Story]

Mississippi State said that after their 1st of 3 losses to USC last year, too.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Mississippi State said that after their 1st of 3 losses to USC last year, too.

I acknowledge your comment. But please understand that Texas A&M did not make this statement, I did. All I'm suggesting is that we keep an eye on the Aggies. If they can take #4 South Carolina to the brink of defeat with 12 seconds left (on the road) and lose by 2 on a last second shot, they are not a joke. I'll bet USC was not laughing when they were down 9 (49-41) to begin the 4th quarter Sunday. Just as the Tennessee Volunteers (13-0) are no joke this year. They too must be taken seriously. Think not? Ask the 13 teams they've defeated thus far, or simply ask "ya girl Margo". Three of their four losses have come to top 10 teams. #10 Oregon twice (once at home and once in Las Vegas), and #4 USC in Columbia.

T A&M has the potential of beating most teams if they continue to play like this. Because anyone will not have A'ja Wilson (25 pts/15 reb). No one is predicting a FF for them, a deep run into the tournament, or anything of that nature. Just keep an eye on them. They may fade as the season goes on, and they may not, we'll see. Things could get real interesting if Carter learns how to play under control, and learn to trust her teammates.

Speaking of Mississippi State, they're doing just fine. While their OCC schedule does not rival UConn's, it's decent. Other than a 3 point win @ Oklahoma State, they were not challenged in any of their other pre-conference games. You'll see the Bulldogs at their place on Feb 5, a nationally televised affair on ESPN2 BIG Monday.
We can compare notes after the game. Good luck. :cool:

Edited - content corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I acknowledge your comment. But please understand that Texas A&M did not make this statement, I did. All I'm suggesting is that we keep an eye on the Aggies. If they can take #4 South Carolina to the brink of defeat with 12 seconds left (on the road) and lose by 2 on a last second shot, they are not a joke. I'll bet USC was not laughing when they were down 9 (49-41) to begin the 4th quarter Sunday. Just as the Tennessee Volunteers (13-0) are no joke this year. They too must be taken seriously. Think not? Ask the 13 teams they've defeated thus far, or simply ask "ya girl Margo". All 3 of their losses have come to top 10 teams. #10 Oregon twice and #4 USC, the last two defeats coming on the road.

Texas A&M also lost at home to West Virginia. Four losses in all.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
T A&M has the potential of beating anyone if they continue to play like this. Because anyone will not have A'ja Wilson (25 pts/15 reb). No one is predicting a FF for them, a deep run into the tournament, or anything of that nature. Just keep an eye on them. They may fade as the season goes on, and they may not, we'll see. Things could get real interesting if Carter learns how to play under control, and learn to trust her teammates.
:cool:
UConn would swat them like flies. Carter has never seen defense like Kia or Gabby. Plus Geno and CD are masters at preparing for games like this. TAM is not a threat to UConn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I acknowledge your comment. But please understand that Texas A&M did not make this statement, I did. All I'm suggesting is that we keep an eye on the Aggies. If they can take #4 South Carolina to the brink of defeat with 12 seconds left (on the road) and lose by 2 on a last second shot, they are not a joke. I'll bet USC was not laughing when they were down 9 (49-41) to begin the 4th quarter Sunday. Just as the Tennessee Volunteers (13-0) are no joke this year. They too must be taken seriously. Think not? Ask the 13 teams they've defeated thus far, or simply ask "ya girl Margo". Three of their four losses have come to top 10 teams. #10 Oregon twice (once at home and once in Las Vegas), and #4 USC in Columbia.

T A&M has the potential of beating most teams if they continue to play like this. Because anyone will not have A'ja Wilson (25 pts/15 reb). No one is predicting a FF for them, a deep run into the tournament, or anything of that nature. Just keep an eye on them. They may fade as the season goes on, and they may not, we'll see. Things could get real interesting if Carter learns how to play under control, and learn to trust her teammates.

Speaking of Mississippi State, they're doing just fine. While their OCC schedule does not rival UConn's, it's decent. Other than a 3 point win @ Oklahoma State, they were not challenged in any of their other pre-conference games. You'll see the Bulldogs at their place on Feb 5, a nationally televised affair on ESPN2 BIG Monday.
We can compare notes after the game. Good luck. :cool:

Coming into this season most people that follow SECWBB closely enough knew that A&M and a few others would be improved. The SEC will be tighter this year and I’m not expecting there to be any unblemished conference records this year.

Originally, I thought that South Carolina would have a few losses because of vast improvements across the board but now I’m rethinking that.. while some teams in the SEC did get better, a lot of them are playing about where they are used to, or even worse. Now, I’m not so sure the conference is better overall.. instead, it’s just beginning to become obvious that the talent gap that South Carolina had over its peers is quickly shrinking, which can be expected when you lose 4 first rounders and several very good key role players over a two year period (while the roster spots were replaced mostly, the overall talent wasn’t replaced IMHO).. and it doesn’t help that Tennessee is recruiting lights out and others, like A&M, Georgia, Miss State, Kentucky are getting more talent now as well.. so tighter games will become the norm. I wouldn’t be surprised if SC wins the SEC this year.. but they won’t make it look as easy as it has the last 2/3 years. There is no overwhelmingly more talented team in conference.. and that won’t change next season either.

After this season, SC loses Wilson and Miss State loses Vivians, Schaefer and William. Tennessee loses Russell and Nared. All three teams will lose BIG pieces. SC will return Harris/Jennings/Cliney/Cuevas/Cooper.. a strong enough core to continue being a top 3 team. Miss State will return McCowan (likely next year’s SEC POY and no doubt the best post in conf) and the steady Roshunda Johnson. Tennessee will return it’s stellar freshman class that will now be battle tested and very good and will bolster their team with another very strong freshman class. And for the sake of brevity, I won’t go into detail about what other teams will lose and return (Cunningham will be back for example).. but all of this to say one thing, the days of SC beating down the SEC and always having the most talented individual player (SEC POY) are likely over after Wilson leaves. She’s a transcendent talent within this conference.

And I’m not saying that SC will suddenly slide to the lower half of the conderence (we won’t, in case you’re wondering).. we’ll still be a top 3 or 4 team in conference but just expect more games like the SC/A&M game going forward..

As far as A&M this season.. yes, Chennedy Carter is very good. She has ELITE scoring ability, easily the best in her class (most of us knew this before the season even began).. but A&M will live and die with her scoring. They will play up to teams in big games and lay down for teams in others. They are not a particularly strong team overall.. Carter just has an elite ability to elevate and play hero ball.. and some nights that’s going to work but most nights it won’t. The losses will gather once teams get more tape on her and she begins coming down from the clouds..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coming into this season most people that follow SECWBB closely enough knew that A&M and a few others would be improved. The SEC will be tighter this year and I’m not expecting there to be any unblemished conference records this year.

Originally, I thought that South Carolina would have a few losses because of vast improvements across the board but now I’m rethinking that.. while some teams in the SEC did get better, a lot of them are playing about where they are used to, or even worse. Now, I’m not so sure the conference is better overall.. instead, it’s just beginning to become obvious that the talent gap that South Carolina had over its peers is quickly shrinking, which can be expected when you lose 4 first rounders and several very good key role players over a two year period (while the roster spots were replaced mostly, the overall talent wasn’t replaced IMHO).. and it doesn’t help that Tennessee is recruiting lights out and others, like A&M, Georgia, Miss State, Kentucky are getting more talent now as well.. so tighter games will become the norm. I wouldn’t be surprised if SC wins the SEC this year.. but they won’t make it look as easy as it has the last 2/3 years. There is no overwhelmingly more talented team in conference.. and that won’t change next season either.

After this season, SC loses Wilson and Miss State loses Vivians, Schaefer and William. Tennessee loses Russell and Nared. All three teams will lose BIG pieces. SC will return Harris/Jennings/Cliney/Cuevas/Cooper.. a strong enough core to continue being a top 3 team. Miss State will return McCowan (likely next year’s SEC POY and no doubt the best post in conf) and the steady Roshunda Johnson. Tennessee will return it’s stellar freshman class that will now be battle tested and very good and will bolster their team with another very strong freshman class. And for the sake of brevity, I won’t go into detail about what other teams will lose and return (Cunningham will be back for example).. but all of this to say one thing, the days of SC beating down the SEC and always having the most talented individual player (SEC POY) are likely over after Wilson leaves. She’s a transcendent talent within this conference.

And I’m not saying that SC will suddenly slide to the lower half of the conderence (we won’t, in case you’re wondering).. we’ll still be a top 3 or 4 team in conference but just expect more games like the SC/A&M game going forward..

As far as A&M this season.. yes, Chennedy Carter is very good. She has ELITE scoring ability, easily the best in her class (most of us knew this before the season even began).. but A&M will live and die with her scoring. They will play up to teams in big games and lay down for teams in others. They are not a particularly strong team overall.. Carter just has an elite ability to elevate and play hero ball.. and some nights that’s going to work but most nights it won’t. The losses will gather once teams get more tape on her and she begins coming down from the clouds..

Miss. State is set up pretty well.. have two 6'5 freshmen (both 4 or 5-star, top 50 players) coming in next year and they have a 5-star PG who is probably going to redshirt this year bc they have good depth at the position this season.

Reaction Score
She's was tired oldude. She took 37 shots during the game. The rest of the entire team only took 32. She was 15 of 37. It looks like Gary Blair has handed the keys to the "Aggie Schooner" over to her. She's his point guard, and runs the offense. No doubt she had to "ice" her shooting arm after the game. Can you imagine a player, any player on Geno's team taking 37 shots? :eek:

Here's a line about the game from an article on ESPN:
Texas A&M - The Aggies have relied on Carter to make things happen this season. She pushed the issue early, forcing several missed shots as she tried to penetrate South Carolina's tall, long defenders. Carter was 6 of 18 in the opening half. She had an Aggies record 46 points against Southern Cal, finished with 36. The freshman will need to play under control if Texas A&M wants to compete in the SEC this season.

South Carolina - The Gamecocks are a different team with Wilson on the bench. South Carolina was in control and cruising, ahead 25-13 with Wilson dominating underneath. Once she picked up her second foul midway through the second quarter, the Gamecocks offense went with her. South Carolina managed just two points in the last eight minutes before the half.

We had Wilson, Harris and Jennings on the bench for a long stretch of that second quarter with foul trouble.

Cliney was really not effective in the first half and then was surprisingly effective down the stretch.

Carolina needs Spann back. The freshmen doesn't look ready to take many shots in conference play.

I guess if I am Staley I would not have had so much of the starting lineup off the floor for so long in the second Q, but credit the adjustment to full court pressure for totally changing the dynamic of the game and probably helping wear Chennedy down. It also sped her up and encouraged her to take ill advised shots, which was part of the run. Good moves there.

USC has played several games this year where they came out on fire and tanked the middle two quarters. Disconcerting.

Reaction Score
As far as a rematch with TAMU goes, I would hope that USC would do a better job on Carter the second time around and maybe would be closer to full strength in the backcourt. USC also had a ton of turnovers during TAMU's dominant period which you would hope would be corrected.

But Carter is good enough to scare anyone.

Carnac

Reaction Score

It's going to be fun watching things play out in the SEC the next few years. Evolution is a strange thing. I remember like it was yesterday how Breanna Stewart took A'ja Wilson to school during their match-up Wilson's freshman year. If anyone needs a refresher, here's the game. Fast forward to today. Wilson is the leading candidate for POY. She's possibly the most dominating player in Division 1. She's been tabbed by some WNBA coaches and GM's to be the first pick (Las Vegas Aces) in this year's draft. No one is dictating to her on the court this year. I see the same thing happening to McCowan. Last year she was raw. This year she's a lot better, and will continue to improve with age, experience and coaching. Once she gets the confidence that Wilson (if she hasn't already) has, and realizes there's no dominant post player in Division 1 that can shut her down 1 on 1, she's going to be a nightmare to defend. At 6'7", she can do just about anything she wants to on the court. All she has to do is learn how to stay on the floor and out of foul trouble.

# 3 Mississippi State (12-0) and #5 USCe (12-1) in the USA today coach's poll have arrived. They are legitimate elite teams that are constantly ranked in the top 10. Neither is going away anytime soon. After their run to the FF last year, MS is now firmly on the map. They're on the national landscape of elite programs. Top 25 recruits know who they are, and they know who Vic Schaefer is. MS can now go after the same blue chip recruits that the top 7 programs go after and expect some positive results.

As you suggested, there is a renewed push by other teams in the SEC for conference supremacy. USC had things pretty much their way the last few years. That ship has sailed. Mississippi State, Tennessee and T A&M have recruited well, and have improved the talent on their rosters, and along with USC, all have their eyes on the conference championship. None of them are going away quietly. I think the conference champion and runner-up will come from these 4 schools, as they are (IMO) the class of the SEC.

Personally, I wish UConn were in the SEC (or ACC). That would be the best two months of basketball to be found anywhere in the country. A competitive game every night. :cool:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's going to be fun watching things play out in the SEC the next few years. Evolution is a strange thing. I remember like it was yesterday how Breanna Stewart took A'ja Wilson to school during their match-up Wilson's freshman year. If anyone needs a refresher, here's the game. Fast forward to today. Wilson is the leading candidate for POY. She's possibly the most dominating player in Division 1. She's been tabbed by some WNBA coaches and GM's to be the first pick (Las Vegas Aces) in this year's draft. No one is dictating to her on the court this year. I see the same thing happening to McCowan. Last year she was raw. This year she's a lot better, and will continue to improve with age, experience and coaching. Once she gets the confidence that Wilson (if she hasn't already) has, and realizes there's no dominant post player in Division 1 that can shut her down 1 on 1, she's going to be a nightmare to defend. At 6'7", she can do just about anything she wants to on the court. All she has to do is learn how to stay on the floor and out of foul trouble.

# 3 Mississippi State (12-0) and #5 USCe (12-1) in the USA today coach's poll have arrived. They are legitimate elite teams that are constantly ranked in the top 10. Neither is going away anytime soon. After their run to the FF last year, MS is now firmly on the map. They're on the national landscape of elite programs. Top 25 recruits know who they are, and they know who Vic Schaefer is. MS can now go after the same blue chip recruits that the top 7 programs go after and expect some positive results.

As you suggested, there is a renewed push by other teams in the SEC for conference supremacy. USC had things pretty much their way the last few years. That ship has sailed. Mississippi State, Tennessee and T A&M have recruited well, and have improved the talent on their rosters, and along with USC, all have their eyes on the conference championship. None of them are going away quietly. I think the conference champion and runner-up will come from these 4 schools, as they are (IMO) the class of the SEC.

Personally, I wish UConn were in the SEC (or ACC). That would be the best two months of basketball to be found anywhere in the country. A competitive game every night. :cool:

We're just plain USC, thank you, the 4 time defending SEC regular season champs ond the 3 time defending SEC Tournament champs. If you think your thinly veiled condescension isn't evident, I've got news for you.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As far as a rematch with TAMU goes, I would hope that USC would do a better job on Carter the second time around and maybe would be closer to full strength in the backcourt. USC also had a ton of turnovers during TAMU's dominant period which you would hope would be corrected.

But Carter is good enough to scare anyone.
To be honest, I am a bit shocked that she did that much damage to South Carolina. It's one thing to go off on Southern Cal, but I really thought Dawn could devise a defense to limit one player's hero ball.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I am a bit shocked that she did that much damage to South Carolina. It's one thing to go off on Southern Cal, but I really thought Dawn could devise a defense to limit one player's hero ball.

I'm surprised as well but she's very tough in the half court one on one as well as getting pass the high ball screen hedge. That was Blair's plan and something Debbie Antonelli spoke about. Don't let Blair become the PG of his team in a half court offense.

I felt that we should have pressed them from the jump and get Carter tired. She's a dynamic scorer but has conditioning issues and I felt we could have used that to our advantage.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We're just plain USC, thank you, the 4 time defending SEC regular season champs and the 3 time defending SEC Tournament champs. If you think your thinly veiled condescension isn't evident, I've got news for you.

There was no condescension intended, thinly or other wise. We've gone over this before. Whether you choose to recognize/accept it or not, there are two USC's. You and I are on two opposite ends of the country. In South Carolina, "USC" means University of South Carolina. I understand and respect that fact! However, out here in the west coast region, "USC" means University of Southern California. It has for well over 100 years. I can only speak for what I know in reference to the USC in Southern California. As long as I've been alive (over half a century +) and became aware of the existence of Southern Cal, It's been referred to as USC. We're not going to argue this point. It's not that serious, at least not to me.

I understand and recognize that South Carolina was founded first in 1801, and Southern Cal in 1879. Yes, South Carolina opened it's doors 78 years before Southern Cal did, but that fact has nothing to do with your assertion, regardless of who was here first. USC is the acronym that the news and sports media uses. I've seen Southern Cal referenced as "USC" on ESPN, Fox Sports 1 and the NFL Network. Most news media outlets (electronic and print) in this region use "USC" in reference to Southern Cal. To save space in their articles, USC is easier to use than spell out University of Southern California.

We have a lot of people from all over the country that log on to the Boneyard. Everyday, we get new readers (lurkers) that may not know that there are two USC's or when USC is used, which school is being referenced. That is why I used the "USCe" reference that I did, so as not to confuse them (or anyone else). I didn't use it to demean, degrade or disrespect South Carolina. I don't have a beef with Gamecock Nation.

I've also seen other posters use this acronym to describe either of these two institutions they were referencing. If you were to use "USC" in reference to South Carolina, it would not offend me one bit. It's your post, your choice. My brother got his master's degree from Southern Cal in 1980, so you could say that I'm part of the Trojan family in a left handed sort of way. I've been a fan of USC football since Mike Garrett was in their backfield. I've attended at least 50 + games at the coliseum since then. Fight on!

I don't understand why you're offended at my use of it. If that offends you, there's nothing I can do about it. You need to complain to the news outlets that regularly use that acronym when referring to Southern Cal.
I understand and respect your pride in your school, but the fact remains there are two schools in the USA that use and are referenced by that acronym.

I've got news for you too - Here's the kicker. I'll end my response on this note. Google the 3 letters "USC", and see what comes up.
Keep in mind that Google is a global search engine. I rest my case. Happy new year. :)

Addendum - To further support this narrative, I've included a link to newspaper articles from the 1930's that used the acronym "USC" in reference to the University of Southern California, and not South Carolina for your perusal and consideration. [LINK]

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
T

I don't understand why you're offended at my use of it. If that offends you, there's nothing I can do about it. You need to complain to the news outlets that regularly use that acronym when referring to those two schools. I understand your pride in your school, but the fact remains there are two schools in the USA that use that acronym. Here's the kicker. I've got news for you too. I'll end this response on this note. Google the 3 letters "USC", and see what comes up. I rest my case. Happy new year. :)

To lessen any confusion from now on.. just say Little Carolina.... Lesser Carolina, or Lower Carolina. :p

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I actually don’t mind USCe at all. It clears confusion and still allows for the use of USC in a setting where it may not be immediately assumed.

I hate the “SCAR” thing. It’s dumb and curse whoever birthed it into existence.

IMO, this is not something worth arguing over. Plenty of acronyms have multiple meanings ... for example, the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) or the SEC (Southeastern Conference).. if you’re having trouble with context clues to determine which is being referenced then instead of replying with some stupid “there’s only one USC” quip.. just ask. Too many people make use of every opportunity to be condescending.

..But that’s just me. Some people do consider it to be something worth arguing over. More power to them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom