Texas A&M @ South Carolina - 12/31/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas A&M @ South Carolina - 12/31/17

Reaction Score
Tied at 59-59, A&M blew a breakaway steal for a layup with a double dribble w/ 6.7 seconds left. Dawn called TO to advance the ball. A'ja scores with 1.1 left to take the lead. A&M can't score, SC wins 61-59

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson game-winning buzzer beater

61-59 SC final

Can't shoot a buzzer beater with 1.1 left. Texas got the last shot and missed. Not a good look. They looked exhausted.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Two massive mistakes by A&M at the end. The 10-second violation was a mental mistake likely caused by fatigue.

Reaction Score
What a squander. Blair clearly has lost his edge. He allowed his guards to routinely slow-walk the ball up to the center line possession after possession late in forth quarter. That is to openly invite the very 10-second violation that lost them this game.

Reaction Score
Well this is exactly why I'm upset that Dawn missed out on Chennedy Carter! She single handedly nearly lead her team to a huge victory! I'm very impressed with her. As for SC, this win did not look good at all. A lot of players were timid especially Harris who surprisingly went 5-7 and 1-1 from 3 and had 7 assists. Good game by Cliney, her energy and tenacity in the 3rd was outstanding. She started our run to get back in the game. A'ja was her usual self. But if we don't find balance from perimeter and the post then we are going to take a loss very soon. Happy for the win but have a TON of things to work on!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Felt Bad for Carter as she was slow walking the ball up the court when the 10 Second Violation occurred. Obviously she lost track of time. However, where were the Coaches, they should have called a Timeout at the 7 or 8 second and never let the clock get to 10 seconds. Most coaches would have called a time out to set up a play and bring the ball up to their side of the court. If they had done that, no 10 second violation. POOR Coaching by Blair and his assistants. South Carolina got a gift, but they are the better team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well this is exactly why I'm upset that Dawn missed out on Chennedy Carter! She single handedly nearly lead her team to a huge victory! I'm very impressed with her. As for SC, this win did not look good at all. A lot of players were timid especially Harris who surprisingly went 5-7 and 1-1 from 3 and had 7 assists. Good game by Cliney, her energy and tenacity in the 3rd was outstanding. She started our run to get back in the game. A'ja was her usual self. But if we don't find balance from perimeter and the post then we are going to take a loss very soon. Happy for the win but have a TON of things to work on!

Carter probably said to herself "If I go to SC, that annoying HOF point guard coach will try to modify my game" :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carter probably said to herself "If I go the SC, that annoying HOF point guard coach will try to modify my game" :confused:

LOL! Gary Blair wasn't a bad decision so I'm happy for her! She seems to me more of a SG rather then a PG, Imagine if she had other players setting her up she would truly be unstoppable! Both teams will learn a lot from this game.

Reaction Score
Carter is a major talent but Blair really needs to keep her under control...............Dani Williams needs the ball more to keep teams honest...............no reason to blame Carter for being tired after playing the entire game, what freshman is in good enough shape to do that? Wilson drives to her left and banks in a five foot winner...........where was the defense making her go right?

Reaction Score
Carter is a major talent but Blair really needs to keep her under control.....Dani Williams needs the ball more to keep teams honest.....no reason to blame Carter for being tired after playing the entire game, what freshman is in good enough shape to do that? Wilson drives to her left and banks in a five foot winner......where was the defense making her go right?

But the 10 sec violation and double dribble is what cost them. And Carter had the 10 sec violation.

Reaction Score
But the 10 sec violation and double dribble is what cost them. And Carter had the 10 sec violation.

that's what freshmen do...........but consider that A&M probably wouldn't have been within twenty points of SC without her............

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
SC seems a tad overrated at #3. I suspect a handful of losses this year.

Wow! This had better not be the team that expects to beat UCONN. Four players score all but 3 of the team's 61 points while shooting 40% against Texas A&M. The starting five played 85% of the minutes (162). If they have to play 85% of the minutes against UCONN, don't look for any amazing 12-0 runs by them in the 4th quarter. More like UCONN on a 20+ - 0 run while the gassed Gamecocks walk up and down the court. Yikes! Oh! And 10-18 from the charity stripe just won't do. I was expecting more from the Gamecocks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So Carter scored 32 points before I turned on the game, and since I turned on the game, I’ve seen her force shots and dog it on the court. Seems to me she’s not in condition to play 40 minutes.

She's was tired oldude. She took 37 shots during the game. The rest of the entire team only took 32. She was 15 of 37. It looks like Gary Blair has handed the keys to the "Aggie Schooner" over to her. She's his point guard, and runs the offense. No doubt she had to "ice" her shooting arm after the game. Can you imagine a player, any player on Geno's team taking 37 shots? :eek:

Here's a line about the game from an article on ESPN:
Texas A&M - The Aggies have relied on Carter to make things happen this season. She pushed the issue early, forcing several missed shots as she tried to penetrate South Carolina's tall, long defenders. Carter was 6 of 18 in the opening half. She had an Aggies record 46 points against Southern Cal, finished with 36. The freshman will need to play under control if Texas A&M wants to compete in the SEC this season.

South Carolina - The Gamecocks are a different team with Wilson on the bench. South Carolina was in control and cruising, ahead 25-13 with Wilson dominating underneath. Once she picked up her second foul midway through the second quarter, the Gamecocks offense went with her. South Carolina managed just two points in the last eight minutes before the half.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Did she visit SC officially? She attended Texas' summer camp prior to her senior season, but it was right after Chasity Patterson had just verbally committed to Texas; she never visited Texas officially. I recall her taking official visits to Kansas and A&M, but that was it.

KU women’s basketball to host two top-10 recruits at Late Night

Strange that I never saw these videos where she had Texas in her final 5, and I follow Texas recruiting very closely.

Chennedy Carter is OFF the Recruiting Board!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Carter is clearly a tremendously talented freshman, but as good as she is, her game lacks discipline. She forces shots while missing lots of open teammates. She doesn’t always hustle and takes defensive possessions off.

I am reminded of Geno’s comments about playing freshmen even when they don’t listen and play the way you want them to. Basically, once you give in, you can never coach them again.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Carter is a major talent but Blair really needs to keep her under control.....Dani Williams needs the ball more to keep teams honest.....no reason to blame Carter for being tired after playing the entire game, what freshman is in good enough shape to do that? Wilson drives to her left and banks in a five foot winner......where was the defense making her go right?
To be fair, Williams has been in a shooting slump, and when she's not hitting and when Hillsman doesn't have a mismatch inside, they don't have any good scorers left. Howard is an outstanding rebounder but not a great scorer other than on putbacks.

And this is how A&M beat USC, just let Carter play hero ball. She was 17 of 28 against USC and that included the game-winner. And it's easy to criticize her for taking 37 shots today, but her teammates were 9 of 31. That's less than 30%. Williams was 5 of 15.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carter is clearly a tremendously talented freshman, but as good as she is, her game lacks discipline. She forces shots while missing lots of open teammates. She doesn’t always hustle and takes defensive possessions off.
I am reminded of Geno’s comments about playing freshmen even when they don’t listen and play the way you want them to. Basically, once you give in, you can never coach them again.
Chennedy has a pretty good former National Championship coach in Gary Blair. I'm pretty sure Blair has not given in to Chennedy and he will continue to coach her in all aspects of the game. There are probably only a handful of freshmen whose game did not lack discipline -even at UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Chennedy has a pretty good former National Championship coach in Gary Blair. I'm pretty sure Blair has not given in to Chennedy and he will continue to coach her in all aspects of the game. There are probably only a handful of freshmen whose game did not lack discipline -even at UCONN.
I hope you’re right. Much of Carter’s play in the 4th qtr today was cringeworthy. I can’t imagine Geno ever allowing a player to remain on the court under the same circumstances.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. Much of Carter’s play in the 4th qtr today was cringeworthy. I can’t imagine Geno ever allowing a player to remain on the court under the same circumstances.
I mean, it's an unusual situation. It's not like Blair had any other viable options. Carter was the only reason that A&M was even in that game, and her shooting percentage was actually pretty good until the 4th quarter. She clearly got tired and frustrated with some calls, and this is something she'll take a valuable lesson from, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Did she visit SC officially? She attended Texas' summer camp prior to her senior season, but it was right after Chasity Patterson had just verbally committed to Texas; she never visited Texas officially. I recall her taking official visits to Kansas and A&M, but that was it.

KU women’s basketball to host two top-10 recruits at Late Night

Strange that I never saw these videos where she had Texas in her final 5, and I follow Texas recruiting very closely.

Chennedy Carter is OFF the Recruiting Board!

She unofficially Visited SC for the 2016 UCONN game and up until the last month before she committed she was considering both SC and Louisville along with TAMU and Kansas. She never visited officially but the interest was strong on both sides.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wilson is outstanding, but without Bianca-Cuevas & Spann, SC really doesn’t have anyone who can shoot the ball from the perimeter.

Spann played a few minutes today, but she's not yet 100%. Hopefully she'll be 100% before the game at Mizzou next Sunday. Ole Miss won't be a problem on Thursday.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
that's what freshmen do......but consider that A&M probably wouldn't have been within twenty points of SC without her..
this isn't like her first game ever... if she never played with a shot clock I'd understand but she's a big girl she should understand the clock especially as a facilitator

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom