Tevin Mack live stream | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack live stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Sorry but this kid doesn't seem to bright.
Such a big decision and he embarasses himself with not even knowing the correct name of the commuter school he chose.
Kid could have gone to a Top 20 National Public University and he chose UVCU? Kid is a dull blade afraid of the big stage and bright lights.

On the bright side, Gramamma knows how to make an entrance. She's not afraid of the spotlight and attention. Too bad it didn't rub off on the kid.

My take, he wore South Carolina colors to make people think he was choosing USC, he said "I will be attending the University of..........." so we would think he was going to select UCONN and then he surprised folks by saying VCU. Seemed pretty cleverly planned out and relatively entertaining to me.

Reaction Score
So I suppose I can lump you in the spin crowd. Our history of losing kids to mid-majors?

You can't look at the current college basketball landscape and label teams like UNLV and VCU "mid-majors" as the term used to be understood a decade ago. We've lost out on plenty of kids to programs that were below the current level of those two.

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
Fresh off a national championship; young, charismatic coach who is universally adored and has deep, deep, NBA bloodlines; brand new $35 million practice facility . . . and they're coming up short against Virginia Commonwealth University. I'm not going to go crazy over this because it's just basketball and one way or another UConn will be okay, but anyone who isn't a bit concerned is ignoring reality. All the "too much competition here" or "we backed off" or "he wasn't a priority" is just spin and nonsense.

Daniel Hamilton already here playing his position isn't spin. It's reality. I would have been surprised if we landed any of these wing targets a year after getting a top 25 wing. Can't blame KO for trying and being prepared for any contingency - he could have said we're set at the wing for two years with Hamilton/Calhoun and not even tried for a wing in this class and none of us would have batted an eye for a second. But he obviously wanted a little more depth/insurance in case we lose someone early, so he recruited a few wings from a position of weakness (even with a new practice facility). When you recruit for depth/insurance, you can't get bent out of shape when you lose out. It's a want, more than a need.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I suppose I can lump you in the spin crowd. Our history of losing kids to mid-majors?
Lump me anywhere you want. It's your world. I follow the rule they teach in the preschool my kids attended: You get what you get and you don't get upset.

Admittedly I stopped following recruiting for the most part years ago because I got sick of this nonsense, but the history I was referring to is our history of doing pretty well irrespective of who we get. I guess I'm in the camp that simply trusts our coach and roots for the kids we have, instead of worrying about who we don't. I have no idea who our priorities were and where we invested most of our time. Until I hear from a source who knows, I'm inclined to believe that Mack was not a top priority for us. I know that he was for UVCU, and I'm pretty sure he knew that, too.

Reaction Score
You can't look at the current college basketball landscape and label teams like UNLV and VCU "mid-majors" as the term used to be understood a decade ago. We've lost out on plenty of kids to programs that were below the current level of those two.

UNLV's been to one sweet sixteen since Larry Johnson was there and they play in the Mountain West. Not sure what level you think they're on but I'm pretty content with calling them a mid-major. If they're not a mid-major then there's no such thing.

Look, you're perfectly entitled to tell yourself that coming up short against VCU is the same as coming up short against Kentucky and Duke based on the "current college basketball landscape." And it's my prerogative to think that just sounds insane.

Reaction Score
Honest question, since I may not really remember: who? Who below VCU or UNLV have we lost a recruit to recently?

I mean, I can go back to Camby to UMass, but that was pre-1999. After our first title, who have we lost someone to below the level of UNLV or VCU?

Reaction Score
UNLV's been to one sweet sixteen since Larry Johnson was there and they play in the Mountain West. Not sure what level you think they're on but I'm pretty content with calling them a mid-major. If they're not a mid-major then there's no such thing.

Look, you're perfectly entitled to tell yourself that coming up short against VCU is the same as coming up short against Kentucky and Duke based on the "current college basketball landscape." And it's my prerogative to think that just sounds insane.

All the things you said about UNLV are correct, but that hasn't had any impact on their recruiting. Khem Birch, Roscoe Smith, Chase Stanback, Mike Moser, all highly regarded kids that have transferred in. Rashad Vaughn, Anthony Bennett, Kaitin Rhinehardt(since transferred out), AO's cousin Goodluck, soon to be Derrick Jones, Josh Jackson in 2016. UNLV has had very little issues bringing in elite talent despite their lack of success, limited TV exposure, and playing in the MWC, which is still a good conference and quality of basketball wise I would rather watch than the SEC for example. This isn't college football, I don't know what Dave Rice and staff are doing because their product on the court is garbage and on the surface dude doesn't come off as dynamic, but its been shown time and time again in CBB that you get the right coach you can set up shop and attract talent anywhere outside of the power conference structure.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Honest question, since I may not really remember: who? Who below VCU or UNLV have we lost a recruit to recently?

I mean, I can go back to Camby to UMass, but that was pre-1999. After our first title, who have we lost someone to below the level of UNLV or VCU?
Abu to North Carolina State. State is below current VCU but above UNLV. Vegas is above Raleigh although Raleigh is nice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
All the "too much competition here" ... is just spin and nonsense.

How do you reconcile this with Mack's own statement that his decision was primarily based on his research of each team's roster, incoming recruits and offers, and his desire to be the focus of the offense from day one? To me, that suggests that he thought there was too much competition here, at least as compared to UVCU, and that he was essentially promised a starting position by Smart.

I mean, maybe you're right and KO really sucks at recruiting, but I don't see how you conclude that from this decision. We were the last school to pursue him and lost out to the first school to pursue him, and one at which he has said he believes he will have the best chance to be the focus of the offense from the time he steps on the campus.

Reaction Score

That's right, I don't think the term is useful to describe college basketball teams in any meaningful way anymore. Not with the success of Butler, VCU, Wichita State of late. That point can be argued, but what can't be argued is the term mid-major is of zero use as a recruiting standard if you're going to apply it to UNLV, which has been pulling outstanding classes lately.

I didn't say that coming up short against VCU is the same as coming up short against Kentucky and Duke. I said it is the same as (or in some cases better than) coming up short against plenty of other non blue blood programs we've lost recruits to over the years. How many recruits have we lost over the years to Florida State alone? How many Sweet Sixteens do they have in the past 20 years? There seems to be this implication that back in the day after the bluebloods got theirs we had our pick of the remaining kids. That's not how I remember it.

As far as insanity goes, what I find insane is the never-ending freakout about recruiting losses on this board. Even though our results on the court consistently prove it wasn't worth all the fuss and we should have had more faith.

Reaction Score
Abu to North Carolina State. State is below current VCU but above UNLV. Vegas is above Raleigh although Raleigh is nice.
I guess we'll disagree if you think a P5 school with some actual history is below VCU.

Reaction Score

Didn't we lose Terrell to URI?

Reaction Score
Sorry but this kid doesn't seem to bright.
Such a big decision and he embarasses himself with not even knowing the correct name of the commuter school he chose.
Kid could have gone to a Top 20 National Public University and he chose UVCU? Kid is a dull blade afraid of the big stage and bright lights.

On the bright side, Gramamma knows how to make an entrance. She's not afraid of the spotlight and attention. Too bad it didn't rub off on the kid.

Taliek Brown, in a similar moment, committed to "the University of UConn."
I wouldn't start calling people names because they made an error in speech. It reflects poorly on you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ike Diogu to Arizona State, Isaiah Swann and Alexander Johnson to FSU, Durand Scott to Miami, Jamal Sampson to Cal, Eric Hicks to Cincy, a couple decommits like Melvin to Depaul and Harkless to SJU. I'm sure there are more.

I think VCU is a stronger program right now than any of the above when they beat us for recruits, with the possible exception of Cincy and Hicks.

Reaction Score
I don't think we recruited him.

I seem to recall being in his final four, but maybe it was a scenario where we offered him but were not actively recruiting him. Or I could be thinking of a completely different player. Was he the kid that was a rumored package with Abu? Maybe his offer was contingent on Abu signing.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall being in his final four, but maybe it was a scenario where we offered him but were not actively recruiting him. Or I could be thinking of a completely different player. Was he the kid that was a rumored package with Abu? Maybe his offer was contingent on Abu signing.
Borges said UConn wasn't actively recruiting him, remember they had already pulled in Purvis and Hamilton in the spring and Abu/Terrell didn't decide until I believe the late summer in Sept. The staff was only at his AAU games because him and Abu played on the same team.

Reaction Score
Borges said UConn wasn't actively recruiting him, remember they had already pulled in Purvis and Hamilton in the spring and Abu/Terrell didn't decide until I believe the late summer in Sept. The staff was only at his AAU games because him and Abu played on the same team.

That makes sense, but Terrell seemed to be interested until the end. Perhaps he just listed UConn to generate hype for the announcement.

Reaction Score
Exactly, he kept us in his final 4 for name recognition. We stopped recruiting him early on.

Reaction Score
Ike Diogu to Arizona State, Isaiah Swann and Alexander Johnson to FSU, Durand Scott to Miami, Jamal Sampson to Cal, Eric Hicks to Cincy, a couple decommits like Melvin to Depaul and Harkless to SJU. I'm sure there are more.

I think VCU is a stronger program right now than any of the above when they beat us for recruits, with the possible exception of Cincy and Hicks.
None of those schools were mid-majors when it happened. All of them were BCS conference schools.

Reaction Score
None of those schools were mid-majors when it happened. All of them were BCS conference schools.

VCU is in a better position to win than all of those schools. You guys are applying college football sensibilites to college basketball, what was Arizona State when Diogu went there? VCU is a better program than what AZ State was then and has a better coach. UNLV has grabbed 4 & 5 star players from coast to coast and from Canada, this midmajor stuff just doesn't apply. This BCS/major stuff is not really relevant, this isn't Boise State trying to compete with major conference programs for recruits in CFB, the lines are less blurred in college basketball. Get the right coach and staff and they can pull recruits anywhere, its been shown time and time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom