Tevin Mack live stream | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack live stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The potential positive here is that he chose VCU... because Jones already verbally committed to UConn.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
He's an idiot!

:cool:

Reaction Score
The potential positive here is that he chose VCU... because Jones already verbally committed to UConn.
The more I think about it, this wouldn't shock me. All along, Jones and his camp was steadfast in a spring time announcement. A sudden, shocking bump makes no sense. UNLV would still be there this spring...........just sayin.

Reaction Score
Oh well. That was a letdown. It's Jones or bust. Hopefully Jones picks UConn tomorrow and the Mack thing turns out to be UConn telling Mack that Jones pulled the trigger for them before he did. Maybe wishful thinking. For any VCU fans that might come here, I'm not implying that this is the case due to some UConn superiority complex. It's more wishful thinking on my part that UConn doesn't end up striking out on all their targeted wings, which might turn out to be the case.

If that ends up happening, then that IMO is a huge disappointment coming off an NC and the unveiling of our new hoops practice facility. It certainly looked like KO was killing it on the recruiting circuit this past summer. If we end up landing Jones and/or Stone, then I'd say KO murdered it on the recruiting front. Let's see what happens next.

With all this said. This is pretty much how it's always been even under JC. Lots of swings and misses. The signing of a few under-the-radar recruits who turn out to be better than many of the plan-A, B and even C recruits. And then they go about their business of winning National Championships beating the snot out of teams that are laden with a slew of burger-AAs. I can live with that. It would be nice though to see us win more of these Plan-A recruiting battles.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, this wouldn't shock me. All along, Jones and his camp was steadfast in a spring time announcement. A sudden, shocking bump makes no sense. UNLV would still be there this spring......just sayin.

So will UConn. Jones is our last wing target.

Reaction Score
So, do VCU fans give the staff credit for landing Mack, or do they pat themselves on the back for a job well done with their Twitter outreach?

Reaction Score
So will UConn. Jones is our last wing target.
Not if UConn forced Jones's hand. You can say that now, but we both have no idea what happened to have Jones make such a drastic switch in his stance. Maybe UConn wasn't going to be there in the spring.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So, do VCU fans give the staff credit for landing Mack, or do they pat themselves on the back for a job well done with their Twitter outreach?
Fans. Always the fans.

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
[rolls eyes] Yeah. That must be it.

Afraid is a poor choice of words. But Hamilton's presence was a significant deterrent, from my understanding. Larrier is much more likely to play the 4 at VCU than Hamilton is here.

Reaction Score
Not if UConn forced Jones's hand. You can say that now, but we both have no idea what happened to have Jones make such a drastic switch in his stance. Maybe UConn wasn't going to be there in the spring.

It's just as likely that UNLV told him they were looking elsewhere if he didn't commit in the fall. Who is this mystery wing we're recruiting that would have taken Jones spot?

Incidentally, Tim Fontenault (sports guy at the DC) insists that the staff told him they only have one more open scholarship for next year, which seems weird, since it would mean that they've already guaranteed a scholarship to Amilo for next season.

Reaction Score
Did his 10 year brother make that highlight video? Maybe windows movie maker is the height of technology in South Carolina.

Reaction Score
It's just as likely that UNLV told him they were looking elsewhere if he didn't commit in the fall. Who is this mystery wing we're recruiting that would have taken Jones spot?

Incidentally, Tim Fontenault (sports guy at the DC) insists that the staff told him they only have one more open scholarship for next year, which seems weird, since it would mean that they've already guaranteed a scholarship to Amilo for next season.
He's wrong.

Reaction Score
With all this said. This is pretty much how it's always been even under JC. Lots of swings and misses. The signing of a few under-the-radar recruits who turn out to be better than many of the plan-A, B and even C recruits. And then they go about their business of winning National Championships beating the snot out of teams that are laden with a slew of burger-AAs. I can live with that. It would be nice though to see us win more of these Plan-A recruiting battles.

I don't know, was it "always" the case that Calhoun was losing kids to mid-majors when they were in the Big East? He was losing them to Duke, or Kentucky, but schools like VCU? And was Mack even a plan-A?

Reaction Score
I don't know, was it "always" the case that Calhoun was losing kids to mid-majors when they were in the Big East? He was losing them to Duke, or Kentucky, but schools like VCU? And was Mack even a plan-A?
There's a (un?)happy medium: not going to lose our minds because of the recruiting loss, but also a little concerned that a 4x National Championship school is losing recruits to a 1x Final Four school.

Reaction Score
There's a (un?)happy medium: not going to lose our minds because of the recruiting loss, but also a little concerned that a 4x National Championship school is losing recruits to a 1x Final Four school.

Fresh off a national championship; young, charismatic coach who is universally adored and has deep, deep, NBA bloodlines; brand new $35 million practice facility . . . and they're coming up short against Virginia Commonwealth University. I'm not going to go crazy over this because it's just basketball and one way or another UConn will be okay, but anyone who isn't a bit concerned is ignoring reality. All the "too much competition here" or "we backed off" or "he wasn't a priority" is just spin and nonsense.

Reaction Score
tzznandrew said:

In a bubble, sure, But he plays Hamilton's position and Hamilton is a) better than he is and b) a freshman. Plus we already have a back up here for his first year (Calhoun). It was an uphill battle to get a wing in this class one year after Hamilton, but KO was wise in trying, just to be prepared for any contingency. Just a tough sell.

As of now, we're doing well getting a top 25 kid in every recruiting cycle (Purvis, Hamilton, Adams) and a quality second-tier kid (Facey, Cassell, Enoch) with them. Brimah and Samuel have been good finds as diamonds in the rough to put in supplemental roles (Lubin remains to be seen if he falls in that category). That's a pretty good formula of bringing in consistent quality, if not getting a "monster" class. Hoping for Stone, but we'll be ok next year either way (and since he's likely a one and done, we'd have the same need for bigs in 2016 anyway).

One year, our recruiting class consisted of Uri Cohen-Mintz, and another year it was Donnell Beverly. When you are pretty deep with young talent at every position, it can be tough to recruit just for depth/insurance.

Reaction Score
Or maybe remembering our history.
Again, when we've lost recruiting battles, it has generally been to UK (Knight), KU (Selby), UNC (everyone in the 2006 recruiting class) and been okay because we've been able to pick up the kids like Tevin Mack.

I'm not going to worry too much--especially if we get Stone--and if we lost Mack to a high quality P5 school, I wouldn't at all.

But, as much as I genuinely respect what VCU has done, they aren't in our league.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But, as much as I genuinely respect what VCU has done, they aren't in our league.
Of course they're not, but perhaps Mack isn't either.

Reaction Score
Of course they're not, but perhaps Mack isn't either.
Fair enough. I wish him well, so I hope he has a good enough career (sans NCs, since I want all of them). And there's a lot of time to make this up.

And, getting Stone would change everything. Adams and Enoch is a very good class as it is, but it's those other players that would take it from very good to great. Stone, Adams, and Enoch is a killer class.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I wish him well, so I hope he has a good enough career (sans NCs, since I want all of them). And there's a lot of time to make this up.

And, getting Stone would change everything. Adams and Enoch is a very good class as it is, but it's those other players that would take it from very good to great. Stone, Adams, and Enoch is a killer class.

Agreed. Landing Stone puts all of this talk to bed.

Reaction Score
Sorry but this kid doesn't seem to bright.
Such a big decision and he embarasses himself with not even knowing the correct name of the commuter school he chose.
Kid could have gone to a Top 20 National Public University and he chose UVCU? Kid is a dull blade afraid of the big stage and bright lights.

On the bright side, Gramamma knows how to make an entrance. She's not afraid of the spotlight and attention. Too bad it didn't rub off on the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom