Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 59 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If my sources are correct, Connecticut is slightly closer to Georgia than Texas, so we have that going for us.

Reaction Score
Cheif saw Mack at McDonald's last night, and when he went to the fountain drink dispenser he selected blue Powerade. Definitely in his head.
Heard from someone at the carwash that Mack was getting his Beemer detailed. You figure it out

Reaction Score
@30piecemack is no longer an active twitter handle. Tevin either changed his twitter handle or has deactivated his account. Seems like he doesn't want any outside influence or public "encouragement" to attend any one particular school..

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
@30piecemack is no longer an active twitter handle. Tevin either changed his twitter handle or has deactivated his account. Seems like he doesn't want any outside influence or public "encouragement" to attend any one particular school..
He changed it. It's @sl0wbucks

https://twitter.com/sl0wbucks

Reaction Score
If they thought he was a viable option at SF a couple months back, I would think they'd feel that way today. It's a long shot that Hamilton will be around for more than a year, so having his potential replacement on the roster next year is ideal.

But I've been mystified at the staff's recruiting strategy all year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get involved.
Great point. Why wouldn't they get involved now, what changed? DHam is a short timer here.

Reaction Score
Staff seems to think they add a four and bank two schollies. I wish they were grinding a little harder.

I don't understand how a knock down outside shooter isnt a glaring need!
Wait, they're not pursuing any guard options from the graduate transfers??

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm not going to claim any insight into our actual recruiting strategy, but I'd venture to guess that if we are not getting back involved with Mack there is a pretty good reason. And banking a scholarship is not a good reason.

Reaction Score
http://www.gogamecocks.com/2015/04/14/699223/drehers-mack-released-from-vcu.html

“He’ll have a plethora of options and I’m sure that South Carolina will be one of the teams that are vying for his services,” Rich said. “Any school would certainly have to be the right fit for both parties.”

Mack’s mother said that any other choices beside Texas haven’t been picked. (lol)

“We hadn’t really discussed that yet,” she said. “He wants to see what his options are and work from there.”

Reaction Score
I'm not going to claim any insight into our actual recruiting strategy, but I'd venture to guess that if we are not getting back involved with Mack there is a pretty good reason. And banking a scholarship is not a good reason.
I hope it's not they are butt-hurt he didn't choose us first!!! Hope u r right! I'm quite concerned as I think with two pieces (quality 4 and shooter with some ball handling) this team could be really great! It doesn't seem like staff is chasing any of these 5th year guards.

Reaction Score
There is no evidence whatsoever of us moving on or re-engaging him. If I remember correctly the staff was down in South Carolina a lot in Sept, Oct & Nov right before he picked VCU. They seemed to be aggressively going after him. I'd think we would still want him badly. There are so few options left they'd be fools not to make a run at him.

Reaction Score
How would we even know, just hours after his release was announced, what Ollie and company are doing? Is someone tapping the staff phones?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hope it's not they are butt-hurt he didn't choose us first!!! Hope u r right! I'm quite concerned as I think with two pieces (quality 4 and shooter with some ball handling) this team could be really great! It doesn't seem like staff is chasing any of these 5th year guards.
I see it as three pieces: (1) quality 4 who can rebound; (2) reliable ball handler; and (3) wing, i.e., D-Ham insurance, in that order.

They are clearly chasing a quality 4 and fingers are crossed that it's Miller and he commits this weekend. I don't know where we are re the ball handler or wing prospects, but re Mack specifically I trust KO's judgment whatever we're doing or not doing there. I have no idea how things were left with Mack, how delicate the D-Ham situation may be in the aftermath of his reported concerns immediately following the season, or whatever else may be in play here. But if they've determined that getting involved with Mack again is a wasted effort for whatever reason, I have no problem with it. I'd like to see more efficient and effective efforts, not just more efforts.

Personally, I'm less impressed with us being mentioned in connection with top recruits than I am with us actually signing them. I think that the fact that we were on so many top recruit lists for recruits whom we failed to close has caused more frustration than anything else with respect to recruiting. I hope we get better at identifying those with the best potential fit for us and spending our efforts closing them.

Reaction Score
I see it as three pieces: (1) quality 4 who can rebound; (2) reliable ball handler; and (3) wing, i.e., D-Ham insurance, in that order.

Personally, I'm less impressed with us being mentioned in connection with top recruits than I am with us actually signing them. I think that the fact that we were on so many top recruit lists for recruits whom we failed to close has caused more frustration than anything else with respect to recruiting. I hope we get better at identifying those with the best potential fit for us and spending our efforts closing them.

Agree wholeheartedly on all points. I really want a wing but agree it's 3rd in line. I would add a quality 4 that can allow us to play 5 on 5 and have offensive game. Miller and Harris fit that.

Reaction Score
Of course. All of Ollie's successes can be directly attributed to advice given/demands made by members of the BY.

I've wondered if there's someone on staff reading this site. On one hand, there is some really stupid stuff posted on here, but it also serves as an aggregator for UConn-relevant news.

Reaction Score
I've wondered if there's someone on staff reading this site. On one hand, there is some really stupid stuff posted on here, but it also serves as an aggregator for UConn-relevant news.
Certainly have thought about this! Hope they take our suggestions (4-man and knock down shooter - can't stand to watch another year of such an offensively-challenged squad!!) , lol!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I believe that there may be someone from PR/marketing lurking on the FB board - there were some issues that posters brought up with the gameday experience that were taken care of a couple of games later. Although I don't know whether or not any 'Yarders took it into their own hands and sent out emails.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I have no idea how things were left with Mack, how delicate the D-Ham situation may be in the aftermath of his reported concerns immediately following the season, or whatever else may be in play here.
What D-Ham situation?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I hope we at least reach out to Mack again. I'd prefer to have someone outside of a freshman to replace DHam. I don't think you can just recruit Mario Kegler and assume he can handle 25-30 minutes per game at the 3.

Mack developing behind DHam for a year would likely be good for him, and I don't think he'd see much difference in playing time between CT and TX. I get him really buying into Shaka, but I don't really understand just giving up and not getting involved at all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What D-Ham situation?
It was suggested by a few people here, apparently based on good sources, that he was considering transferring immediately following the season and that KO needed to reassure him to stay. His mom quickly put the kabosh on that, but it was clearly a difficult time for him considering his grandmother's death, how far he is from home, and the way our season turned out.

I don't think it ultimately made an ounce of sense, given that he would have to sit out a year; and I don't think he'd come anywhere close to realizing his potential in the draft if he considered declaring after this season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
but I don't really understand just giving up and not getting involved at all.

I don't really understand how anyone can believe this would be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom