Terry Larrier VCU Game Film | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier VCU Game Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[Regardless, I think Larrier has the potential to take over the point-forward role that Hamilton made for himself this past year (if Hamilton leaves after this season), in addition to playing a stretch-4 in certain sets.[/QUOTE]

^ This.

Reaction Score
Year of practicing against a really good team, working out and learning from a better staff for his game and he'll be closer to Rudy Gay than he will Donny or Scotty. Not saying as good or anything just comparison.

See more DD than anything else in his game. Certainly not Scotty nor Donny. Has the frame of a RG.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Vcus offense is painful to watch... he will be used much better and grow as a player here with ollie and uconn... he has a nice handle and nice form shooting, kid should be a star

Reaction Score
He's super long and can do more than I expected with the ball in his hands. Far better than all of our wings other than hamilton. Im excited to have him. Id love to say that one year red shirt will definitely clear up his basketball deficiencies but then look at our recent case with Rodney Purvis, other than putting on muscle pretty much no growth in his skill set. I hope Terry can take advantage of his year off

Reaction Score
He's super long and can do more than I expected with the ball in his hands. Far better than all of our wings other than hamilton. Im excited to have him. Id love to say that one year red shirt will definitely clear up his basketball deficiencies but then look at our recent case with Rodney Purvis, other than putting on muscle pretty much no growth in his skill set. I hope Terry can take advantage of his year off

No growth for Purvis? Not sure why you didn't see any considering how the season ended for him? He has things he still needs to improve on no doubt but as the year went on he grew in many areas. Pretty happy he's a Husky.

Reaction Score
Was his role on VCU to just chuck up 3's? He seems so much more effective slashing to the hoop. Definitely has the potential to be something special though.

Reaction Score
No growth for Purvis? Not sure why you didn't see any considering how the season ended for him? He has things he still needs to improve on no doubt but as the year went on he grew in many areas. Pretty happy he's a Husky.

I was talking about his growth during his redshirt year. He had the same problems to start the season at uconn that he had at NC state. I hope Larrier will make better use of his time practicing with the team

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was talking about his growth during his redshirt year. He had the same problems to start the season at uconn that he had at NC state. I hope Larrier will make better use of his time practicing with the team
A year of practice is great but it still is a poor proxy for actual game time. As we saw with Rodney, it took a while to get back into the swing of actual game action. I figure it will probably be similar with Larrier.

Reaction Score
I'm really happy with the direction Rodney is headed in. Whatever injury affected him cleared up second half of season and he became a real force. He's going to have a more balanced attack around him this year and I expect big things. Most likely will be our leading scorer. Larrier is physically gifted and it's up to our staff to develop those gifts. Just cut down mistakes and then expect 5 rebounds and 12 points night in and out. If he improves his shooting he can do a Jeremy Lamb impersonation.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I would like to see KO push Larrier to stop the quick 3's and push him to attack the basket. JC did this with Charlie V. and it eventually led to his becoming a much more impactful player at UConn. Obviously they are different players at different positions. I would have liked to see JC do the same thing more with Rudy Gay who I thought settled for jump shots way too often in college.

Reaction Score
I must say I see much more of a poor man's Rudy Gay here. Clearly not as polished, but IMO he will not be a stretch 4. With Enoch and Diarra coming in, KO seems to be focused on bolstering the front court with actual BIG men. This kid can run, jump, pass and has good form on his shot, even though its rushed and selection is clearly poor. But that will improve and his athleticism just oozes out.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
TCF - awesome job on putting together the Larrier highlights (and Gibbs).

If you find some time and have desire, I would love to see some highlights of Shonn Miller. I'm pretty excited to see him fill an important role next season, but haven't been able to view too many in game highlights of his. I think he will be surprise many. Thanks!

Reaction Score
TCF - awesome job on putting together the Larrier highlights (and Gibbs).

If you find some time and have desire, I would love to see some highlights of Shonn Miller. I'm pretty excited to see him fill an important role next season, but haven't been able to view too many in game highlights of his. I think he will be surprise many. Thanks!

Thank the folks at Michigan for this:

Reaction Score
I didn't have anything to base my expectations on beyond some reports and opinions here but his shot is a good deal worse than I expected but his handle is a lot better.

He seems to fancy himself a sharpshooter but I'm not sure I see it. As many have noted, his shot selection was often questionable but even when he had open looks the ball seems to go up there very hard.

He might be better off playing mid-range and down low. He looked good going to the basket and could elevate above his defender in the lane.

One of my favorite aspects of his game is the ability to grab a rebound and take a least a few dribbles up the court (and often many more) to get the transition game going. Compared to having to wait and hand the ball off to a guard this could be a big plus.

I'm not sure I see great comparisons with Daniels or Hamilton. He can't shoot like Deandre but looks much quicker and more athletic. Deandre seemed to more slide by people whereas Larrier beats them off the dribble or rises above them. Hamilton also seems to have a better shot but Larrier's handle looks a bit better. I'm not sure Larrier is quite the facilitator than Hamilton is. I see more Hamilton than Daniels but I'm not sure either is a great comparison.

He could be a nice trouble-maker as a four with his handle.

Reaction Score
I love how dudes watch one highlight video and know how Larrier should fundamentally change his game.

For one, this was a way more comprehensive highlight video than most. TCF basically included every play Larrier was involved in from a box score standpoint for those games.

Secondly, the stats back up what Peacefrog was saying. He shot 26% from three last year. Changing his shot selection seems like a good thing to do.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I see great comparisons with Daniels or Hamilton. He can't shoot like Deandre but looks much quicker and more athletic.

Well, DeAndre shot 24% on 3s his freshman year to Larrier's 26%, so I would say it's too early to say the kid can't shoot. Plenty of great three-point shooters struggle from deep their freshman year; Giffey did, too, and we all know he's a very good shooter from deep.

Reaction Score
For one, this was a way more comprehensive highlight video than most. TCF basically included every play Larrier was involved in from a box score standpoint for those games.

Secondly, the stats back up what Peacefrog was saying. He shot 26% from three last year. Changing his shot selection seems like a good thing to do.

His suggestion was that Larrier cease to be a perimeter player and work mid-range in. That's a massive change to his game, and there's no highlight video good enough to justify that kind of change.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I love how dudes watch one highlight video and know how Larrier should fundamentally change his game.
To be fair, this isn't really a highlight video. This is more like game film since it includes the ugly bricks (which every player obviously has but aren't shown in highlights).

Reaction Score
His suggestion was that Larrier cease to be a perimeter player and work mid-range in. That's a massive change to his game, and there's no highlight video good enough to justify that kind of change.
Pretty much this.

The 11 games that were available he shot 6/32 from three. I could have made another video from 11 games where he went 22/45 from three.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

It is possible that he could stop the rushed 3's and emphasize getting higher percentage shots without having to give up perimeter shooting entirely.

Reaction Score
Well, DeAndre shot 24% on 3s his freshman year to Larrier's 26%, so I would say it's too early to say the kid can't shoot. Plenty of great three-point shooters struggle from deep their freshman year; Giffey did, too, and we all know he's a very good shooter from deep.

Giffey shot 32% from 3 as a freshman. That's not great, but that's what Calhoun shot as a freshman and everybody thinks he was a marksman that year. DeAndre came in with a better rep as a shooter than Larrier did out of high school, and Larrier shot over twice as many threes as DeAndre did in their respective freshmen years, so his sample size was bigger.

That's really not what he said. He said that he "might be better off playing mid-range and down low". I don't think that means to have Larrier stop taking threes altogether, just to take more shots from other parts of the floor. It's not a stretch to suggest that a 26% three point shooter probably shouldn't take 3 and a half threes a game, and probably shouldn't take
40% more threes than twos.

Reaction Score
I bet that he's shooting better 17 months from now with all that time to work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom