Terry Larrier transferring | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You got to hand it to Shaka, he convinced some pretty nice recruits to head to VCU even though the entire world knew he'd bounce to the best opportunity that came up in the next year or two.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ben Ashauer ‏@BenAshauer 22m22 minutes ago
Rumor is that Terry Larrier, arguably our best player, is leaving VCU for personal/family matters...dang.

This is just a fan, but if the personal/family justification is accurate, that means going back close to home. Larrier is from the Bronx. St. Johns?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
You may have nailed it. I can't confirm, but it looked like Glen Miller was showing the kid around the Co-op/South side of gampel area when I walked past them. Looking at pictures of Larrier, it definitely could have been him.
giphy.gif

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You may have nailed it. I can't confirm, but it looked like Glen Miller was showing the kid around the Co-op/South side of gampel area when I walked past them. Looking at pictures of Larrier, it definitely could have been him.
If true, and that's an If the size of Texas, and Larrier Transfers to UConn, KO just mic dropped all the recruiting haters.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
@DistrictBaller: It makes me smile wide to see that VCU has beaten out UConn for primary recruiting targets 2 years in a row with Terry Larrier & Tevin Mack.

Lol this VCU account should retract this.

And yeah don't get excited because I'm not sure it was even Larrier.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If true, and that's an If the size of Texas, and Larrier Transfers to UConn, KO just mic dropped all the recruiting haters.

Ah, no.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ah, no.
Can you be more specific as to which part of my post you are smugly closing down? Would that be Larrier transferring to UConn? Or my read on it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can you be more specific as to which part of my post you are smugly closing down? Would that be Larrier transferring to UConn? Or my read on it.

Your read on it is ridiculous.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Your read on it is ridiculous.
I'm rolling it into an assumption around a Miller, Gibbs, Larrier spring pull, which I would say is just about as good as can be expected given the misses people have been laying at his feet.

Reaction Score

Have to be fair here. Using Larrier as a hypothetical example, he wouldn't even be considering coming to UConn if Shaka were still at VCU. Gibbs wouldn't be considering UConn if Seton Hall weren't a train wreck. Miller wouldn't be here if the Ivy League didn't have an antiquated rule.

So the influx of potential talent is more about getting lucky with guys leaving other programs that they initially chose over UConn. It doesn't matter in terms of what the roster looks like as a whole, but getting guys on the bounce-back isn't as sustainable as getting them straight out of high school. Especially if the grad transfer rule goes away.

Reaction Score
I'm rolling it into an assumption around a Miller, Gibbs, Larrier spring pull, which I would say is just about as good as can be expected given the misses people have been laying at his feet.
Slow down, brother.

Reaction Score
Have to be fair here. Using Larrier as a hypothetical example, he wouldn't even be considering coming to UConn if Shaka were still at VCU. Gibbs wouldn't be considering UConn if Seton Hall weren't a train wreck. Miller wouldn't be here if the Ivy League didn't have an antiquated rule.

So the influx of potential talent is more about getting lucky with guys leaving other programs that they initially chose over UConn. It doesn't matter in terms of what the roster looks like as a whole, but getting guys on the bounce-back isn't as sustainable as getting them straight out of high school. Especially if the grad transfer rule goes away.

How many points do you get to start the game with because you write in the scorebook that your team was recruited in a "sustainable way?" Seriously, get TF out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Assuming that we're going to get two players that we do not currently have, trying to make a living off of other programs' misfortune is not a sound long-term strategy.

The fifth-year players are nice band-aids to cover the failings of the recruiting trail, but it really just kicks the problem down the road by a year.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

I suppose, but I'd rather have Ollie swing for the fences and show an ability to find solutions on the fly then play it safe and miss out on an elite guy or two.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Miller/Gibbs/Larrier ends up being what we get this spring, then that's extremely fortuitous. But KO will not get respect until he has what's considered a strong early signing period, i.e. not letting next year's Clarke/Mack/Jones get away.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Assuming that we're going to get two players that we do not currently have, trying to make a living off of other programs' misfortune is not a sound long-term strategy.

The fifth-year players are nice band-aids to cover the failings of the recruiting trail, but it really just kicks the problem down the road by a year.

Sure, but if you work under the assumption that we've got some key pieces in place, namely Brimah, Purvis and Hamilton and you want to make a run at it in 15/16, don't you swing for the ready made players at your positions of need with the mindset that if you don't get the 1 and done frosh, you get the 1 and done senior?

Reaction Score

Doesn't recruiting a top-10 player also just "kick the problem down the road by a year?" If they're going to eliminate the grad transfer exemption, that's one thing, but it's not like players are going to just stop transferring. If things go down this way (and again, that's a big if), that's five desirable players that other programs would have wanted badly that we get to fill five open scholarships. That's what all recruiting is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom