Terry Larrier Injury | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Rumors swirling that he may have torn his ACL. If so, that is horrible news, especially for a guy that sat out all of last year and seemed destined to be a first round pick.

If it is an ACL tear, he would qualify for a medical redshirt to save this year of eligibility. It would also officially put us into "transition year" mode (if we weren't already). This would also give Vance the opportunity to emerge.

I don't want to speculate, but based on what KO said to Underwood after the game, the rumors swirling and the nature of the injury (non-contact knee injury), I think this is a real possibility.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Where are you hearing these rumors? They called it a sprain on the game.

Reaction Score
I'd love to be hopeful that it isn't serious but non contact injuries rarely are. Positive spin is he's back next year and the frosh get more minutes to grow into Uconn players.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He was not able to bear any weight on his left leg when he came up the floor, but I didn't see the mechanism of injury or what yeh trainer was doing for him because he was under the Ok State basket and then my view was blocked by their huddle.
Most patients that I have had with ACL tears were able to bear weight afterwards, even if it was somewhat painful

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If you watch the slow motion replay from behind, he clearly goes to explode off of his left knee and immediately afterwards while in midair you see the knee "pop" kind of like a rubber band would when stretched too far, all without contact from a defender which is the most telling sign. When I saw it the first thing I thought was an ACL tear. I was skeptical when Bilas said a sprain at the half so I hope he's right but it really did not look good at all.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you watch the slow motion replay from behind, he clearly goes to explode off of his left knee and immediately after while in midair you see the knee "pop" kind of like a rubber band would when stretched too far, all without contact from a defender which is the most telling sign. When I saw it the first thing I thought was an ACL tear. I was skeptical when Bilas said a sprain at the half so I hope he's right but it really did not look good at all.

On the bright side (what little bright side exists anyway), it's early enough that he could conceivably be granted a sixth year of eligibility if he requires it, no?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
On the bright side (what little bright side exists anyway), it's early enough that he could conceivably be granted a sixth year of eligibility if he requires it, no?
He would be, but being away from your competition for 2 years really puts a damper on a guy's development, especially one who is already raw as a 3rd year college player.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He would be, but being away from your competition for 2 years really puts a damper on a guy's development, especially one who is already raw as a 3rd year college player.

Agreed. Development aside though, Larrier seems/seemed to be a level ahead of everyone else on the team up to this point though. Now that he's out, I have no idea who will be able to rebound consistently.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If he does have a season-ending injury, a medical hardship waiver is almost a certainty - he's well inside the 30% games played limit.

Reaction Score
I was in the second row right behind the basket -- his reaction was that of someone who new they just did something really bad.

Reaction Score
He's already used a redshirt year tho. He would come back next season as a Junior.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He's already used a redshirt year tho. He would come back next season as a Junior.

A medical hardship waiver may be able to give him a third shot at his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Rumors swirling that he may have torn his ACL. If so, that is horrible news, especially for a guy that sat out all of last year and seemed destined to be a first round pick.

If it is an ACL tear, he would qualify for a medical redshirt to save this year of eligibility. It would also officially put us into "transition year" mode (if we weren't already). This would also give Vance the opportunity to emerge.

I don't want to speculate, but based on what KO said to Underwood after the game, the rumors swirling and the nature of the injury (non-contact knee injury), I think this is a real possibility.
This hurts my heart for so many reasons....

Reaction Score
That game had so many up and downs and twists at such a demanding ugly pace, it was like coming out of a Seattle Seahawk game without any major injuries was a victory.

Prayers this is not serious...that was a heartfelt pep talk he gave walking off the court...

Reaction Score

No contact. They said Dyson, had a bruise. Turned out to be an MCL. I think TL tore his ACL.

Reaction Score
A medical hardship waiver may be able to give him a third shot at his sophomore year.

I don't think so. You have 5 years to play 4. If you get injured for two full seasons they give you a sixth.

Reaction Score
If you watch the slow motion replay from behind, he clearly goes to explode off of his left knee and immediately afterwards while in midair you see the knee "pop" kind of like a rubber band would when stretched too far, all without contact from a defender which is the most telling sign. When I saw it the first thing I thought was an ACL tear. I was skeptical when Bilas said a sprain at the half so I hope he's right but it really did not look good at all.
I mean a tear is basically a bad sprain so I wouldn't be skeptical. Until we hear otherwise, let's just be conservative in our freak-out and hope it was just a sprain. Does a tear typically result in just some ice? Don't guys typically not return to the bench in any capacity immediately after tearing an ACL? I get that we are in Maui and may not necessarily have all the diagnostic tools available right now but the response to the injury doesn't make it seem too serious.

But what do I know

Reaction Score
I mean a tear is basically a bad sprain so I wouldn't be skeptical. Until we hear otherwise, let's just be conservative in our freak-out and hope it was just a sprain. Does a tear typically result in just some ice? Don't guys typically not return to the bench in any capacity immediately after tearing an ACL? I get that we are in Maui and may not necessarily have all the diagnostic tools available right now but the response to the injury doesn't make it seem too serious.

But what do I know

lol cause Maui is like being in a 3rd world country for medicine. I am guessing the hospital there has everything most hospitals have. Surely people sometimes blow their knee out in Hawaii

Reaction Score
I don't think so. You have 5 years to play 4. If you get injured for two full seasons they give you a sixth.

This is correct.

"An application for an extension of his five-year clock is much rarer and more difficult to attain. For an extension request to be successful, the institution requesting it on behalf of the studentathlete must prove that the student-athlete was deprived of more than one season of competition for reasons beyond his or her control. For example, a student-athlete could have been forced to withdraw from school for two years to help support his family or to care for an ailing parent. More commonly, the basis for an extension request is incapacitating injury. In cases of injury, the institution must show that the student-athlete suffered injuries or illnesses that prevented him or her from competing for two seasons."

BUConn10

Reaction Score

But what do I know
By definition yes, but when you can physically see it "pop" like that, it's often a bad sign. The pop usually is a result of a full tear since the whole ligament just gave away. I hope I'm 100% wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom