Terrapins WBB 2021-22 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Terrapins WBB 2021-22

Reaction Score
So, the University of Maryland gave Brenda an extension. Really.

I wish Brenda would have a better rapport with her players than the AD of the university.

Did I read the announcement correctly? It's extended to 2029?

Reaction Score
The Mystics sign Katie Benzan to a training camp deal. I always thought her 3 pt shooting could help a WNBA team. She is also one tough player on the court, plays good defense against opponents her size. The trouble was that with Maryland’s switching defenses, she often ended up guarding much taller players which was a liability. Hopefully, she can overcome that if she makes the team. Good luck Katie.

Reaction Score
Has Frese ever commented on the transfer situation in this manner before? I don't recall her being this direct in past but I could have missed it.

Reaction Score
Huge topic on the Terps board. She really opened up about the transfers without naming anyone in particular.
They were a really fun team to watch in 20-21. I thought the article was interesting and well written. I hope they can find a big.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well this is the only time I have seen her quasi- comment on transfers.
I get each student can have their own reasons but the shear volume of top talent that comes in, plays for a year or 2 and leaves is mind boggling. No other program has had this level of turnover.

That begs the question of how she recruits, what she says or promises, what is the culture and what kind of players is she actually recruiting?
Yet, Maryland AD just extended her contract so he must be satisfied with this constant turnover and turmoil. Eventually, as they say, water seeks its own level and Brenda will not have the success she was fortunate to enjoy. I do not see a Big 10 title in her near future with this group left and what the other schools have.

Reaction Score
Well this is the only time I have seen her quasi- comment on transfers.
I get each student can have their own reasons but the shear volume of top talent that comes in, plays for a year or 2 and leaves is mind boggling. No other program has had this level of turnover.

That begs the question of how she recruits, what she says or promises, what is the culture and what kind of players is she actually recruiting?
Yet, Maryland AD just extended her contract so he must be satisfied with this constant turnover and turmoil. Eventually, as they say, water seeks its own level and Brenda will not have the success she was fortunate to enjoy. I do not see a Big 10 title in her near future with this group left and what the other schools have.
At least she had Ashley for three years.

Transfers can be a weird thing. Look at Syracuse last season. Notre Dame bench players this season. When you're dealing with teenagers, anything can happen.

As someone mentioned in the Terps thread, the only three college All Americans (has to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. no honorable mentions) that has placed their name in the transfer portal were all Terps. Lexie Brown, Ashley Owusu and Angel Reese.

Reaction Score
At least she had Ashley for three years.

Transfers can be a weird thing. Look at Syracuse last season. Notre Dame bench players this season. When you're dealing with teenagers, anything can happen.

As someone mentioned in the Terps thread, the only three college All Americans (has to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. no honorable mentions) that has placed their name in the transfer portal were all Terps. Lexie Brown, Ashley Owusu and Angel Reese.
And she lost Shakira Austin a couple of years ago who just went #3 in the draft.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And she lost Shakira Austin a couple of years ago who just went #3 in the draft.
Plus Mikesell who has been phenomenal at Ohio State (granted, this is school #3 for her). And Cloud who has been a phenomenal pro.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Plus Mikesell who has been phenomenal at Ohio State (granted, this is school #3 for her). And Cloud who has been a phenomenal pro.
Destiny Slocum, Jen Staiti….

As I said, something is wrong on how Brenda is recruiting to have that many high profile players leave year after year after year….

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Destiny Slocum, Jen Staiti….

As I said, something is wrong on how Brenda is recruiting to have that many high profile players leave year after year after year….
I dont think it's her recruiting as much as it has to do with her program or the way she coaches. It's interesting because she's a heck of a coach (1 title, 3 Final Fours, has dominated Big Ten, players consistently improve under her tutelage) but her star players frequently transfer out which doesn't happen at other top programs.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Obviously, every transfer has their own reasons and circumstances and not to pick up my sword and shield for Frese and Maryland, but, Slocum and Mikesell both transferred twice. So, not sure Freese is the (for lack of a better word) issue there.

Austin transferred because she wasn't interested in playing as a back to basket player. She felt she "had a ceiling at Maryland". Even her dad was surprised by her transfer. That may be a "recruiting/style of play issue". So, equal blame to Frese and Austin for that.

Cloud, I believe, transferred to be "Closer to family and home" (Only two hours but maybe that's more of a missing the specific city she lived in) and for "more in-game playing time" but she wasn't even top guard in her Maryland recruiting class [Laurin Mincy] and was in the ranked like 96th in her class by Hoopgurlz. So, not sure she's at the same level as Reese and Owusu of star players.

I also believe Lexie Brown's biggest motivation for transferring was she wanted to play closer to home and Maryland had just left the ACC for the Big10 [2014] so her Freshman season she was still an ACC schedule but her sophomore season her destinations were a bit different haha. She has said nothing but positive things about her experience at College Park. "I loved Maryland. just needed a change" was a tweet she posted 4/5/20. Granted, that doesn't explicitly say she loved the coaching staff but...look where she went at that time. (also, all of Brown's former Georgia Ice AAU top rated teammates transferred during college. Diamond DeShields, Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis)

Staiti also said she wanted to be closer to home. Staiti also wasn't a star during her time at Maryland. She was also part of a 5 player recruiting class, which we all know how that goes.

I'm sure we'll never know the real reasons for the above players or even Reese and Owusu, but it was kind of clear the Owusu wasn't happy this season...Reese always seemed engaged and excited when playing so it's kind of a shock to me she is leaving but maybe it all multi-faceted. Maybe there are non-basketball related reasons too. Maybe it's Frese's inflexibility in adjusting her teams style of play for players strengths? (I think of Stanford changing away from their triangle offense when they became more guard heavy). Maybe the vibes were just off :rolleyes:?

Okay, putting down my Terrapin sword and shield...

Reaction Score

One of the most difficult seasons in Brenda's career.
Thanks for sharing this link with us. I am a huge Coach Frese fan. I think that she is among the top ten coaches in WBB. Coaches know when players are bought in or not. Like Coach said in the article, when you are trying to coach effort, it is never a good sign. I wish the transfer the best and the incoming players noting but the best. For Coach Frese, never lose your passion for coaching.

Reaction Score
Interesting that in her latest workout Angel Reese has Maryland gear on. May mean nothing. Personally, I think she is going to withdraw her name from the transfer portal IF the Terps can land a couple of bigs. It appears on the surface that they are having the hardest time signing one though. We're hoping for Ebo who is from the DC area.

Reaction Score
Interesting that in her latest workout Angel Reese has Maryland gear on. May mean nothing. Personally, I think she is going to withdraw her name from the transfer portal IF the Terps can land a couple of bigs. It appears on the surface that they are having the hardest time signing one though. We're hoping for Ebo who is from the DC area.

Has there been much talk about Ebo visiting the campus?

Reaction Score

Terps home and away schedule. Play Iowa, tOSU and Nebraska twice, Indiana on the road. With UConn, South Carolina, Baylor (road) and the ACC game on the road, the Terps are primed to have their first double digit loss season since 2009-10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom