Tentative Big East divisions for football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tentative Big East divisions for football

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The initial discussion of a twelve member football conference was encouraging but the cryptic rumblings have been a bit disherening. It sounds as if the idea is to get to fourteen with two all sports additions and four football only (my guess is that the plan is for the three service academies and one of Boise St or an upgraded Nova) members. It appears that the only chance Houston or SMU have is if other all sports members leave the BE, allowing for further additions without surpassing eight other sports members who happen to play football in the BE.

I do have one question on Boise St, with the way things appear now, would they really be better served leaving the MWC for the BE? I imagine the possibility exists that before long the MWC with Boise St remaining could have exactly the same BCS access as the BE with Boise St joining. I'm n ot sure their accepting an invitation is a slam dunk.

What cryptic rumblings? Army is an adamant "no" to an invitation. They want nothing to do with another conference by all accounts and their public statements. Nova is clearly not part of the initial 12, but could be there if the league expanded to 14 theoretically, although everything Nova does when it comes to upgrading their program feels like going through the motions without concrete actions. I think it is much less than 50/50 that Villanova ever upgrades.

Reaction Score
I would much rather be in a 10 team league playing all these schools annually:

RU, WVU, UL, UC, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU (Alternatively substitute Navy, for Texas schools)

than the proposed 12 team league where we are stuck with Temple and would play WVU, UC, UL only every other year.

F

fortebleedsblue

I would much rather be in a 10 team league playing all these schools annually:

RU, WVU, UL, UC, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU (Alternatively substitute Navy, for Texas schools)

than the proposed 12 team league where we are stuck with Temple and would play WVU, UC, UL only every other year.

If this is the best that the 'leaders' in Providence can do then I have lost all faith in this league. Talk about setting the bar low and settling. I can understand why some homers in here are ok with this as they would be excited if CCSU joined the league. But in reality this is a terrible situation for UConn. Think about both home and away games: start off with a Rhode Island type then Temple, possible nova if navy doesn't join, UCF, USF and RU. I can't see that generating much excitement. ESPN isn't going to want to pick up UConn vs. Temple/UCF/Nova games, especially at small empty stadiums like temple n nova, unless they on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

I can see it now ...

HCPP: Son, come play at UConn where you can play in one of the most balanced league divisions in the country.

Recruit: Well I want to play big time football against well known programs in exciting atmospheres on national TV. (Translation I want exposure) I haven't had the chance to catch a UConn game yet.

HCPP: We just played on ESPN Friday night

Recruit: I had a high school game then ...

HCPP: Well .. uh well .. we have great academics though.... its not all about football son.

Recruit: I have BC, Cuse, Penn State and Pitt all knocking on my door telling me I can get both a great education AND play teams like Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami and Georgia Tech ....

HCPP: But we have basketball.... and Temple just joined!!!!

Recruit: Thanks coach, but I want to play football

HCPP: : patented blank stare::

Reaction Score
Every program in the country who is either in the BE, or not in a BCS conference, must realize the need to come together into a conference organized under the BE banner, to preserve or achieve, the BCS status. That means BSU, Houston, SMU, UCF. If the BE leadership is not trying to make this happen, then they really are brain dead, and we really are facked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom