Tentative Big East divisions for football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That ought to sell a bunch of tickets.

Reaction Score
WVU needs to move to the east division. Our division sucks.

Reaction Score
WVU needs to move to the east division. Our division sucks.

Speak for yourself, I'd rather have WVU in the West everyday of the week and twice on Saturdays.

I could live with this proposal. Don't sleep on USF and UCF, both of those programs have the arrow pointed way up. And wait until Miami has the hammer dropped...

It's time to name the UConn/Rutgers game and play it during the last week of the season (regular)...

Reaction Score
Deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hope the orchestra keeps playing.

Not the divisions that matter but the almost total lack of quality FB programs that are in those divisions.

Reaction Score
Deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hope the orchestra keeps playing.

Not the divisions that matter but the almost total lack of quality FB programs that are in those divisions.

Houston, SMU and UCF would all kick Syracuses' teeth in.

In terms of brand recognition, you are correct. In terms of on the field results, you would be incorrect.

Reaction Score
You might prefer keeping WVU out of our division, but having one crap division and one strong one isn't good for a conference championship game. (if there is one, otherwise who cares, I guess)

I was assuming we would play division mates every year and only play the other divisions teams rotationally. We need to bring the better names to The Rent to build excitement.

Reaction Score

In terms of brand recognition, you are correct. In terms of on the field results, you would be incorrect.

Brand recognition is exactly what I was talking about. Go throught the real BCS conferences. In each one you can list two, three or four teams that are the power teams and are expected to do well every year. Example, Big12, Texas and Oklahoma; name schools that people think have quality programs most years.

Whether the new members would beat Syracuse or Pitt or anyone else is irrelevant, what matters is if they are 'name' schools that people would watch on TV. Look at the game between Ohio State and Nebraska as an example. Quality match up between an old and new member of the B1G. Somehow I don't think that SMU-UConn would be in the same class.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Houston, SMU and UCF are as big of a brand in Florida and Texas as SU is in New York or any market.

Reaction Score
Next question to answer: Eight or nine conference games per year?

Reaction Score
Big East divisions for football:

East: Uconn, Rutgers, USF
West WVU, Cincy, Lou

I'm sorry, but the situation is that bad right now. BE Football schools need another conference earthquake to find a better home.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big East divisions for football:

East: Uconn, Rutgers, USF
West WVU, Cincy, Lou

I'm sorry, but the situation is that bad right now. BE Football schools need another conference earthquake to find a better home.

Your basketball coach just left for Navy. Now buzz off.

Reaction Score
Brand recognition is exactly what I was talking about. Go throught the real BCS conferences. In each one you can list two, three or four teams that are the power teams and are expected to do well every year. Example, Big12, Texas and Oklahoma; name schools that people think have quality programs most years.

Whether the new members would beat Syracuse or Pitt or anyone else is irrelevant, what matters is if they are 'name' schools that people would watch on TV. Look at the game between Ohio State and Nebraska as an example. Quality match up between an old and new member of the B1G. Somehow I don't think that SMU-UConn would be in the same class.

You don't say? Really? Here I was thinking that UConn, who is less than a decade on the D1 scene, carried the same cache as Ohio State and Nebraska.

Silly me, thanks for the heads up.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Next question to answer: Eight or nine conference games per year?

It depends. Will the extra game be against BCS conference teams or non-BCS conference teams? That's the answer to your question. Syracuse or Buffalo? Pitt or Temple? Baylor or Ohio?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
WVU si gone. To the B12 if Missouri leaps or to the SEC.

The only possible upside here for UConn is FSU going to the SEC and Missouri staying put. Then Flipper can vote down UConn and propose Rutgers and the B12 says "what the hell" and adds Lousville and WVU. Then UConn rules the remainders.

Reaction Score
Please. Penn State hoops is a disaster and no one in his or her right mind would want to coach there. Anyway, this is FB football board so take your shots in that direction.

Reaction Score
No way these divisions could work. How would Navy play Air Force every year in this configuration? They going to abandon the Commander-In-Chief Trophy?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The initial discussion of a twelve member football conference was encouraging but the cryptic rumblings have been a bit disherening. It sounds as if the idea is to get to fourteen with two all sports additions and four football only (my guess is that the plan is for the three service academies and one of Boise St or an upgraded Nova) members. It appears that the only chance Houston or SMU have is if other all sports members leave the BE, allowing for further additions without surpassing eight other sports members who happen to play football in the BE.

I do have one question on Boise St, with the way things appear now, would they really be better served leaving the MWC for the BE? I imagine the possibility exists that before long the MWC with Boise St remaining could have exactly the same BCS access as the BE with Boise St joining. I'm n ot sure their accepting an invitation is a slam dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom