Tennessee @ Mississippi St (6) - 2/10/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Based on what? Losing to a top 5 team?
Ah, because the announcers stated that Charlie said before the game that if they got trounced then they would not be in his brackets. Oh, maybe they didn't get trounced. My bad, my opinion is that they were.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
All these comments about how well they played for three quarters. The game has four quarters. The fact that Tennessee stayed close for three quarters is more an indictment of MSST than UT playing well. They struggled with a UT team that was playing without it's best player. If MSST had played a zone, UT probably would never have been close. MSST did not look like a number one team today but they may be better than number six.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can’t copy a tweet on my iPad but here’s Creme’ opinion on Tennessee from about an hour ago-

Tennessee is out for now. But, the Lady Vols certainly aren't out of this completely. Remember, it's a numbers game. There has to be 32 at-large teams and the word "deserve" is always relative to the rest of the landscape.

Reaction Score
That is fine with me. I would prefer that UConn make the Final Four before it has to enter the sequoia forest (Baylor and Mississippi State).
I would prefer Mississippi State make the Final Four before facing either of those teams but I really hope we see a Big Tee vs Brown matchup!

Reaction Score
All these comments about how well they played for three quarters. The game has four quarters. The fact that Tennessee stayed close for three quarters is more an indictment of MSST than UT playing well. They struggled with a UT team that was playing without it's best player. If MSST had played a zone, UT probably would never have been close. MSST did not look like a number one team today but they may be better than number six.
Problem is at a given point in time Oregon looks like a number 1 team, Baylor looks like a number 1 team, ND looks like a number 1 team, UConn looks like a number 1 team , Louisville looks like a number 1 team, and MSST looks like a number 1 team. Really hard to pick between those teams, hopefully the tournament games will answer that for us!

Reaction Score
I didn't see the came, but I read the thread and the play-by-play. Was there a reason that Mississippi State left their starters in through the 4th quarter? Was it because their other players are not good enough to keep a 20 point lead or did they just want to throttle Tennessee?

Reaction Score
Big T was Vic's last sub with about one minute to play. Most of the bench came in with 4 minutes to play.
BTW, AEH didn't play in the second half until the last four minutes. I believe she started in the first half. I don't know if she was totally responsible for Rennia Davis' 18 points in the first half, but her defense could have been an issue.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Problem is at a given point in time Oregon looks like a number 1 team, Baylor looks like a number 1 team, ND looks like a number 1 team, UConn looks like a number 1 team , Louisville looks like a number 1 team, and MSST looks like a number 1 team. Really hard to pick between those teams, hopefully the tournament games will answer that for us!
I agree. The job Schaefer has done with the talent he has had the last three years is amazing to me. He has proven to be a great coach. The job Warlick has done with the talent she has and has had is also amazing. It's the opposite of what Schaefer has done.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the came, but I read the thread and the play-by-play. Was there a reason that Mississippi State left their starters in through the 4th quarter? Was it because their other players are not good enough to keep a 20 point lead or did they just want to throttle Tennessee?
Vic answered this in a earlier presser, he said he wanted to keep his starters in shape in case they needed to play large minutes during big games. Notice, MSST brings in sub throughout the game. If you look at average minutes played in a game you will see MSST starters are lower than most of the other top teams and we use our bench every game and not just when the game is already decided.

Reaction Score
I was at the Hump and watched in person. It wasn’t the best effort by MSU but I will take it. TN is better than their record and Westbrook would have helped but there was no doubt who was better today.
I watched game on TV and I thought it was one of our best efforts. UT players are talented and I expected a tough game. In my opinion, the game was not a blowout early because UT was hitting “prayer” shots, those shots usually do not drop and eventually luck loses out to talent. I never had any doubt who was the superior team and to me that was evident from the getgo. MSST is gelling and we will be a real threat come tournament time!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I thought Tennessee actually played quite well through 3 quarters and the wheels fell off in the 4th. Davis can be extremely good, just wish she played with that intensity more often. Mississippi State played well and Big T just worked her butt off. The guard play for MSU is among the best in the country. Holmes and Danberry are so steady.

Tennessee has a huge stretch coming up against A&M, SC, and Mizzou. 2-1 and they're back in the tournament hunt, 1-2 and they're on the outside still, 0-3 and theyre going to need a couple of big wins in the SEC tournament to have a shot. They *should* beat Ole Miss, Vandy and Auburn. If they lose any of those itll really hurt their chances.

Holly scheduling all of those cupcakes in nom conference did her team no favor despite creating a good record to start the year.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Give UT some credit. They played well for three quarters w/o their best player.
The fourth quarter, though, wow, we just took it to another level. I know part of that was the LV’s were tired but still that was tremendous 10 minutes of basketball by State.
Can’t really worry about seeding. As Al Davis used to say “just win baby”. The rest will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
All this talk i see about how well Tennessee did .... considering they were close as late as the 3rd quarter and were without their best player....

For my voice, I have never seen in Holly's tenure the Lady Vols play a solid 40 minutes.... NEVER. They go in spurts they go with a lot of one on one.... dribble dribble shoot..... I question their conditioning.

It is not OK to claim victory if you are close in 3rd quarter.... and then just tank the 4th quarter....

When i think of Westbrook not playing.... i think of 2 things.... one is from last years tournament... when there was shot of Notre Dame bench.... and 4 of their best players out of action due to ACLs.

And of course I think of 6 McDonald's All Americans minus 1 equals 5 that LVs had to play with. Mississippi State has NONE. In fact they lost 4 starters from last year's team.... Tennessee should be putting the Bulldogs away... at least being competitive with them... but of course they are not. More amazingly... nobody EXPECTS them to compete with MSU.

Tuff times Too bad

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Rocky-YOU ARE NOT NICE! That was so painful to listen to and watch. Every time she looks like she's about to cry. The good news is for "every loss, the team is getting smarter" so at this point they must all turning into Marie Curie's with IQ's north of 180. Now VolNation is worried that the NCAAs will not occur and wonder if they would accept a WNIT bid...and to think, today isn't even my birthday.:cool:

Reaction Score
That was the LV's worst SEC loss EVER. Not bad for a school that had never beaten them until 3-4 years ago.

Reaction Score
True, but they did play very well and exceeded expectations.

The game where they were down by ~20 to Stetson (but won) was a terrible outing. This was not.

I don't know about playing very well, after all they did lose by 28 points. The LadyVols issues have always been in these two stats, 9 assists on 25 (yesterdays game) made shots and 18 TO. Passing? forget about it! for the most part player bringing up the ball will shoot first and pass second.

Reaction Score
I agree. The job Schaefer has done with the talent he has had the last three years is amazing to me. He has proven to be a great coach. The job Warlick has done with the talent she has and has had is also amazing. It's the opposite of what Schaefer has done.
Would agree with kudos for his coaching....although I'll reserve any superlatives like "amazing" or "great" until I see a bit more without 6'7" McCowan in the middle. As we continue to learn, "time will tell." As many on the Boneyard are starting to admit, height is, in many cases, an equalizer.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know about playing very well, after all they did lose by 28 points. The LadyVols issues have always been in these two stats, 9 assists on 25 (yesterdays game) made shots and 18 TO. Passing? forget about it! for the most part player bringing up the ball will shoot first and pass second.
So I did some digging on the stats to see how Tenn ranks and here’s a cursory look:
Massey has Offense 20; Defense 132, schedule 46, rank 41
In the SEC,
Tennessee is 2nd in scoring
1st in rebounds per game
9th in Assists/Turnovers in the SEC and 131 overall in NCAA.
Tenn commits the 4th most personal fouls in the SEC
Tenn currently sits 10th in the standings.
Offensively, the LV seems to be ok but the sign of a young or undisciplined team is Turnovers and fouls, both of which the LV have in spades.
If this team had a different name on its jersey, I am Not sure they would get ANY discussion of a bid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom