Tennessee (merged threads) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tennessee (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was extremely impressed with Carter's demeanor and thoughtfulness. I think she should be signed up by ESPN, or at least get a tryout, if she has any interest.
Unfortunately she's only a Junior so she'll get plenty of practice if Holly remains the coach and the team keeps playing like this.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Unfortunately she's only a Junior so she'll get plenty of practice if Holly remains the coach and the team keeps playing like this.

she's a redshirt, so she will have the option to leave after the season (betting she won't leave, but just sayin')

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Per VolNation:

Holly Warlick asked point blank on postgame show whether the team has quit on her: "It would appear tonight it did."

Reaction Score
Per VolNation:

Holly Warlick asked point blank on postgame show whether the team has quit on her: "It would appear tonight it did."

Yikes.. oh how the mighty have fallen..

we spend 8 pages of responses on this thread talking about...

I kinda feel sorry for this team... The Lady Vols should be a staple of Women's CBB.. I sure as heck hope we remain at or near or on top when Geno moves on... never like to see a quality program go thru stuff like this...

Reaction Score
In the ongoing saga, "As the Vols Turn." Will the coach be fired? Which players will transfer? Which players' scholarships will not be renewed? In which early round of the NCAA tournament will the Vols lose?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Will they get even one recruit to come for next year?....like sands thru the hour glass, so passes the season of the Vols....

Reaction Score

Thanks for posting the player's post game interview. For the second interview in a row, I have been really impressed by Andraya Carter. She seems honest and articulate, and tries her best to answer the questions that are posed. I hope that she enjoys success in her life after basketball.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One bit of sad fallout from the demise of the LadyVols has been the disappearance of a few very fine visiting posters (Tenn. supporters) from the Boneyard. Always polite and informative, their comments gradually morphed from pride and optimism to faint hope to wishful thinking to disappointment to despair.

Then, POOF! Gone.:(

Reaction Score
A nice post from LVNation:
Head on correct. Geno, Pat, and even this ol coach wouldn't let our players control anything. Nor the parents.

I tell my parents from the gitgo... "You can't affect how much i play your child, but you can affect how much I don't"

When you have an alpha like DD, she has to have an alpha leading her. and she IS NOT UNIQUE!

Look at what Geno gets out of those kids. Better yet, let's take female coaching alpha's: McGraw, Vanderveer, Summit... You rarely see these women lose composure, ergo, you rarely see the team lose its composure.

Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes sad my friend. Unlike you I get no satisfaction watching a thoroughbred die while lying down. Unlike you I regret the problems I see with dwindling viewership in WBB. Unlike you I remember the time when UConn and UT lifted WBB into our national consciousness making the WNBA possible. Unlike you I see where UConn's dominance without a true rival has coincided with that eroding viewership. Unlike you I would LOVE to see UConn and UT play again for the championship. I remember the hoopla, the enmity, the ESPN coverage, the water cooler discussions. This would only help what is clearly a flagging industry in this country. I want to see these deserving women athletes centerstage again, on the SportsCenter's again. I want these WNBA salaries increased 10 fold. Yes, as a UConn fan I would love to see the Husky's CRUSH these guys in the finals again. And again. Nothing would please me more. Wouldn't you like to see these things?
NO! Not compared to seeing TN die a humiliating death. No sadness in TN's lot this year. Only Joy!!! Pure, pure joy.

ap-quick-hits-the-99ers.jpg

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Creme: "[L]osses in their next two games would give the Lady Vols no chance of reaching the NCAA tournament."

Wow, "no chance"! More than a backtrack, this is kind of like a UTurn followed by immediately hightailing it in the opposite direction.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A nice post from LVNation:
Head on correct. Geno, Pat, and even this ol coach wouldn't let our players control anything. Nor the parents.

I tell my parents from the gitgo... "You can't affect how much i play your child, but you can affect how much I don't"

When you have an alpha like DD, she has to have an alpha leading her. and she IS NOT UNIQUE!

Look at what Geno gets out of those kids. Better yet, let's take female coaching alpha's: McGraw, Vanderveer, Summit... You rarely see these women lose composure, ergo, you rarely see the team lose its composure.
Yes, I liked that post also.

He is right regarding Pat Summitt. If she had this Tennessee team when she had her full faculties, it would be a Top 10 team and possibly a Final Four team, despite her limitations as an offensive coach. She might not have installed a highly efficient offense (most likely the opposite), but she would have gotten every player on the team to compete to her utmost ability for 40 minutes every game, and to play as a team without individual agendas. Diamond either would have played in a way that helped the team, or she would not have played at all.

If Tennessee's players had competed and played together, and avoided the late-game meltdowns, they could probably have won about 10 of the games that they lost. Even without a competent offense.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
NO! Not compared to seeing TN die a humiliating death. No sadness in TN's lot this year. Only Joy!!! Pure, pure joy.
I agree, no sadness. For me personally, it's more amusement than joy, but let's not split hairs.

Reaction Score
No big revelation here---The players are obviously in an unhappy place. I see lots of resentment. Graves and Carter do not have the team's ear. Graves looks too depressed to overcome the situation. Carter has the most spunk and spine, IMHO, but not the gravitas to lead the way. I would not be surprised if Tennessee loses the last game(s) of the regular season and the first SEC playoff game---just to end the misery and to whack the coach/school (for reasons that are unknown to most, if not all of us.) Crème just told them if they lose those two---then they are OUT! Relief is around the corner for this group.

Reaction Score
I'm an old union guy and this looks and feels for all the world like a work slowdown or perhaps stoppage. Perhaps the young women know nothing will change if they keep limping along and they have decided to just blow the whole damn thing up?

No way. I hope this is just a failed attempt at humor. I despise Tennessee as much as any Husky fan, but the suggestion that those young ladies would intentionally sabotage this historically terrible season, for any reason including wanting to see their coach run out of Knoxville, is really despicable.

While Holly may very well have lost control of her team; the frustrated players have no sense of how to run offense; and their "star" Diamond Deshields constantly pouts, plays selfishly, and has failed to live up to her overblown hype, it is quite another thing to suggest the players are of such low character that they would purposely play poorly and try to "blow up" a once-great program. That's scurrilous and completely off-the-wall. (Unless you have evidence, which I surely doubt.)

In my wildest nightmare, I could never see myself defending anything about the Tennessee program or its players. So this is a first for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One bit of sad fallout from the demise of the LadyVols has been the disappearance of a few very fine visiting posters (Tenn. supporters) from the Boneyard. Always polite and informative, their comments gradually morphed from pride and optimism to faint hope to wishful thinking to disappointment to despair.

Not a surprise. They also disappear about the same time UConn wins a championship. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is ludicrous. Looking at their sched. TENN has had ONE quality win IMO (Oregon St #7). Other than that it's been a disaster. The Strength of schedule argument is a joke. Again are they going to allow 9 SEC teams in the tournament? It seems they would have to, to justify allowing TENN a spot. Hey if they sweep through the SEC Tourney they're in but we all know that's not going to happen.
You know, Milford and I went over it and they actually have more quality wins than that. I know it seems to defy logic but...

They beat Syracuse, who was ranked at the time and is again, beat Chattanooga, Oregon State, Missouri who was #20 at the time, and Auburn (who will make the NCAA's). Don't get me wrong - I throw up in my mouth a little bit thinking that with 12 losses they can still make the tourney. Even if they lose to Georgia, a win in the SEC should get them in. Beat Georgia, another NCAA team, and that will be 6 good wins. AS much as I'd rather see Temple in, name the "good" wins they have. They simply don't play a hard enough schedule to justify putting them in over Tenn, even tho 12 or 13 losses is mind blowing.

Reaction Score
But seriously folks. After Holly "steps down" and a nation wide search begins for a dynamic coach to right the ship is completed, who do you think will land the job?

Reaction Score
But seriously folks. After Holly "steps down" and a nation wide search begins for a dynamic coach to right the ship is completed, who do you think will land the job?
Stephanie White should be at the top of everyone's list. If I were TENN or Duke, I'd have called her yesterday.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jim Foster-he's already in the state,@ TN Chattanooga has coached in SEC @Vanderbilt)=recruiting contacts and has experience running a program in P5 conference-(Ohio State).

Reaction Score

Good point Kibitzer..... I miss them too.... they added perspective and flavor to the mix here..... I cannot blame them though given the free fall down there..... wherever you are former LV BY posters, hope you all are well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom