Tennessee (merged threads) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Tennessee (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The take away from the Tulane game and a comparison to TN is not in the shooting numbers. Everyone (even UCONN) misses shots. What was remarkable for UCONN and something TN is not capable off is 5 turnovers for the game and 1 in the first half. Lady Vols average 17 turnovers per game.

Although UConn is certainly capable of also having a bad day on the turnover section of the stat sheet, I think the key here is the juxtaposition of the two numbers. UConn, on the same day that they just couldn't shoot the whole first quarter, also buckled down and only had one turnover for the whole half. They didn't fall apart and let the poor shooting go to their heads; they actually tightened up their performance in other parts of the game. It was actually Tulane who kept dribbling the ball off their foot. A less disciplined team would have collapsed and let the situation snowball with more turnovers and bad plays than average, not fewer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No AD would permit the coach to return after a disaster like this season. Wharlick will leave soon after the season ends. Without a strong group of recruits to suggest that next season will be better, or even different, from this season, there is no reason to continue betting on Pat's successor. This is Wharlick's fourth full season as head coach, following three decades as Pat's top assistant. This season is not a learning season. The school expected continued excellence; instead, they've experienced the worst season in Tennessee BB's history. They are going with someone else for 16/17.
I agree, in theory. In practice, I think a few factors will lead to Holly's return. I think though the university is rightly proud of the program under Summitt, they are first and foremost a football school. Holly's teams losing is probably less of an issue for them than they would be in Connecticut. Holly still has a large buyout left on her contract. If I am correct that the Vol athletic department and administration really isn't troubled by the current struggles of the Lady Vols, they won't invest seven figures to try and correct it. Lastly with the string of sexual harassment cases the university is facing, they probably will be inclined to give Holly the benefit of the doubt at least through next year. That's a good thing in my opinion, but probably not if you are a Lady Vol fan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the Alabama game, but from what I read and heard, Tennessee just missed a ton of easy and makeable shots. Kinda like what UConn did in the 1st quarter against Tulane, except Tennessee did it for most of the game.

I don't get the impression that they're intentionally losing the games. I just think they're so horribly unconfident at this point, and just not engaged and not connected with each other. Their defense hasn't been all that bad, really, but their rebounding is nowhere near where it should be, and their offense is just the poster child of dysfuctionality.

So yes, I concur. Tennessee could certainly take a loss to Tulane, which is IMO a better team than Arkansas, LSU and Bama.
I agree that Tulane is a better team than Arkansas, LSU, and Bama, you can add Ole Miss to that starement. Tulane defeated both LSU and Ole Miss this season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Although UConn is certainly capable of also having a bad day on the turnover section of the stat sheet, I think the key here is the juxtaposition of the two numbers. UConn, on the same day that they just couldn't shoot the whole first quarter, also buckled down and only had one turnover for the whole half. They didn't fall apart and let the poor shooting go to their heads; they actually tightened up their performance in other parts of the game. It was actually Tulane who kept dribbling the ball off their foot. A elss disciplined team would have collapsed and let the situation snowball with more turnovers and bad plays than average, not fewer.
I wholeheartedly agree... this is what I think is Tn's problem, but with the talent they have they shouldn't have lost even if they're "off a little"

Reaction Score
The biggest problem both the Tenn team and their coach share is the weight of the LV history. When DD transfered in she was treated like the prodigal daughter returning home to lead her team to glory. Wildly optimistic expectations, when they go unmet, lead to frustration and anger.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Very good article. Writer makes some accurate points. Only quibble I have is his comment, "Historically, Tennessee is still the most prestigious program." I'm not buying that.
Well, if you mean ANCIENT history---

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Diamond and Cooper looking pretty good against Georgia. Georgia is married to a "former" South Carolina asst. coach, who left the Gamecocks to be closer to his wife. being engrossed with coach a top team wouldnt be healthy for his marriage.

Reaction Score
Georgia played man to man instead of going zone against Tennessee and this being Senior Day is most likely the reason for this victory. This game is confirmation bias for the Tenn fans that believe Holly should just let Diamond do her thing. IMO, this game is no more than fools gold for those that believe Tennessee should just let Diamond do her thing.

Reaction Score
Barbie was the teams leading rebounder and Engram was 3rd. Neither played. Today Tenn had as nearly many offensive rebounds (20) as Georgia had defensively (24).

From what ESPN says, Tenn will play S Carolina if they win their first game in the SEC tournament. I seriously doubt they will out-rebound the Gamecocks

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know, I know...Diamond is a volume shooter
But: The little of the game I watched.
I saw Diamond do a little back and forth move a la Maya (heresy)
And swish the jumper.
Of course her next shot was a poorly conceived, out-of-range air ball
Fortunately, offensively boarded.
But, surely, Geno would have found a way to educate her into winning BB

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Georgia was pretty awful, although missing Barbie and Engram was certainly a factor. Just couldn't figure out what the Georgia PG was trying to accomplish, particularly in the 1st quarter, when she seemed determined to dribble over to the sideline and getting herself trapped. I thought after the first few times she might realize that was not a very good idea.

If I'm not mistaken, based on the SEC tiebreaker rules, Tennessee may have managed to sneak into 7th place in the SEC which means they get Arkansas in the 2nd round.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, based on the SEC tiebreaker rules, Tennessee may have managed to sneak into 7th place in the SEC which means they get Arkansas in the 2nd round.

That is a really big deal for Tennessee. Most importantly, it means they would avoid a quarterfinal matchup against South Carolina. If they can get past Arkansas, then they'll play Texas A&M in the quarters instead. It's actually not at all hard to envision Tennessee getting to the final.

Missouri, conversely, blew a chance to control its own destiny, in terms of avoiding an SC quarterfinal. Mizzou lost at home today to Vanderbilt. Ouch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is a really big deal for Tennessee. Most importantly, it means they would avoid a quarterfinal matchup against South Carolina. If they can get past Arkansas, then they'll play Texas A&M in the quarters instead. It's actually not at all hard to envision Tennessee getting to the final.

Missouri, conversely, blew a chance to control its own destiny, in terms of avoiding an SC quarterfinal. Mizzou lost at home today to Vanderbilt. Ouch.

It's also not that hard to envision Tennessee losing the the 1st round.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's also not that hard to envision Tennessee losing the the 1st round.

This team is like a box of chocolates. Rather bitter chocolate, perhaps.

GG

Reaction Score
Although I thought that the Tennessee fans were going overboard in protecting their complete demise after one loss to Alabama, I find it mind boggling that some of the Tennessee fans are now predicting a final four appearance after one win over a team like Georgia. Interesting.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They really are quite unpredictable.
If their Micky-D All-Stars get some swag back after their disastrous season
They could be a handful
But remember...Silly Georgia insisted on man-to-man
When everyone knows that any zone confounds UTenn

Reaction Score
Holly should stick to that starting 5, If Diamond hits her first shot she has a good game, if she misses the pouting begins and it's all over.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
They really are quite unpredictable.
If their Micky-D All-Stars get some swag back after their disastrous season
They could be a handful

UGA is not a good zone team. They almost exclusively play man to man.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UGA is not a good zone team. They almost exclusively play man to man.
Yup - the 'we do one thing, and we do it pretty poorly' philosophy of coaching! :eek::rolleyes:

It really does amaze me on two counts:
1. Teams that do get to scout their opponents can look at any film of TN and not see that they can play very well against a man defense because they have athletic guards and wings that can drive but not consistently hit jump shots. And then they insist on playing exclusively man defense - Oregon State and I think Missouri both took this approach and lost on their home courts. I think it was the MissSt game where they waited to get down by 13 before finally deciding that maybe a zone would be a good idea, and came back to win in the fourth.

2. That TN which has seen a steady diet of zone defense has apparently not spent any practice time trying to learn how to play effective offense against a zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom