Tennessee Is On A Roll... | The Boneyard

Tennessee Is On A Roll...

Reaction Score
they are now 7-0. Kudos to them and their new coach. I'm guessing their AD is a happy camper also. So, what I'm thinking here is that their game on Jan 23 at the XL is going to be a lot more funner than I had originally thought. Theoretically, they could potentially be 18-0 by the time they...well, you know! ;) :eek: :) :D

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1575235048153.png

Uh, forgive me for raining on their parade, but they've done this each of the past few years. Run out to an early undefeated record, sending their delusional fanbase into a tizzy of optimism, only to have it all crash down on them in January and February.

And besides, who have they beaten? The worst Notre Dame team since shoulder pads were in style? Beating up on the Little Sisters of the Hapless and Hopeless isn't much.

Reaction Score
View attachment 48721

Uh, forgive me for raining on their parade, but they've done this each of the past few years. Run out to an early undefeated record, sending their delusional fanbase into a tizzy of optimism, only to have it all crash down on them in January and February.

And besides, who have they beaten? The worst Notre Dame team since shoulder pads were in style? Beating up on the Little Sisters of the Hapless and Hopeless isn't much.
The post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and humorous. I was not really singing their praises. Apologies for raising your blood pressure a bit.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and humorous. I was not really singing their praises. Apologies for raising your blood pressure a bit.
All good. We were saying the same thing in different ways. I just like to get my talking points in :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Still, they're clearly better...
Even if beating up the Air Force doesn't mean much...

What does matter is the emergence of Rae Burrell.
After a spell in the dog house.
She could be the real McCoy

Reaction Score
The game will be all the more bitter because Tennessee was Tennessee and shafted the transfer to UConn, and did so out of spite, it would seem.

Though Tennessee is used to underperforming for years, this time they have a new coach. That coach left a program that is arguably a Top 25 team in its own right.

Wonder how those athletes feel about their coach's having abandoned them?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The Mighty Lady Vols have squeaked by East Tennessee State (2-6), and rolled over the following perennial powerhouses-

Central Arkansas (2-4)
TN State (1-5)
Stetson (3-4)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (0-5)
Air Force (1-7)

image.jpeg

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I honestly have no idea how good TN is, or is not. ND is getting better, but when TN beat them, the Irish were not a good team. The LV’s OOC schedule includes more cupcakes than you find at a school bake sale. They play a badly underachieving TX in a week in Knoxville. There are only 2 tests on TN’s OOC schedule: Stanford & UConn. Until I see how the LV’s do against the Cardinal & Huskies, as well as against their SEC schedule, I plan to reserve judgment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll confess, it may just be my west coast bias, but prior to seeing that list, you could have legitimately stumped me if you'd asked me whether 3 or 4 of those names were real schools or fake ones. P5 powerhouses they are not.
It’s funny, but a few days ago I made the same comment in reference to the California Baptist Lancers, a school I had never even heard of, that went toe to toe with a pretty decent school from Palo Alto.....;)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It’s funny, but a few days ago I made the same comment in reference to the California Baptist Lancers, a school I had never even heard of, that went toe to toe with a pretty decent school from Palo Alto.....;)
You do realize we didn't schedule them ourselves, right? That was in a tournament...

Reaction Score
View attachment 48721

"....Little Sisters of the Hapless and Hopeless.. " ROTFLMAO you owe me a new laptop :D

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
they are now 7-0. Kudos to them and their new coach. I'm guessing their AD is a happy camper also. So, what I'm thinking here is that their game on Jan 23 at the XL is going to be a lot more funner than I had originally thought. Theoretically, they could potentially be 18-0 by the time they...well, you know! ;) :eek: :) :D
TN SOS =341 Yuch

Reaction Score
I had to go look for myself on Tenn SOS Rankings. Per WarrenNolan.com, these are all Div1 teams that have the word Tenn in their names and their ranking, as of this morning 12-04-2019.

Tenn-Martin #8
Middle Tenn #55
Tenn St #249
East Tenn St #286
Tenn Tech #316
Tenn #347 :eek:

The LadyVols did get a boost in their SOS by playing East Tenn St and Tenn St. :D

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this was Holly’s scheduling. Coach Harper addressed her philosophy for scheduling in out of conference play during the post game press conference and stated she prefers to have her players thrown into a “gauntlet” in November/December as to prepare them for conference and postseason play. I expect her future schedules will be much tougher than this years. I, for one, do not think we should be ranked yet. They’re showing signs of improvement but until they start playing better teams, rankings should be withheld.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this was Holly’s scheduling. Coach Harper addressed her philosophy for scheduling in out of conference play during the post game press conference and stated she prefers to have her players thrown into a “gauntlet” in November/December as to prepare them for conference and postseason play. I expect her future schedules will be much tougher than this years. I, for one, do not think we should be ranked yet. They’re showing signs of improvement but until they start playing better teams, rankings should be withheld.
Agree that KJH inherited this schedule from HW. As for whether or not future LV schedules will be much tougher, that remains to be seen, and I think will be dependent, in large measure, on just how well the LV’s do this season, next season and in seasons to come.

If the LV’s hold their own vs Stanford & UConn, end up in the top third of the SEC and make it into the Big Dance, then I think an upgrade in their schedule is likely. On the other hand, if the LV’s fall badly to Stanford & UConn and end up in the middle of the pack or below in the SEC, I don’t expect KJH will be in any hurry to upgrade TN’s SOS.

Reaction Score
I am rapidly becoming fan of Coach Harper, and I sincerely hope that her efforts to revive the former glory of UT women's basketball bear fruit. I'm certainly aware of the fact that this is an unpopular position on our forum, but I think the bases underpinning that unpopularity are rooted in ancient history, and overlook the salutary effects such a resurrection would have on the game we love. If it is indeed Coach Harper's intention to upgrade her team's schedule going forward, I applaud such a move, and believe I understand the factors that shape her attitude.

While it is my good fortune to divide time between residences in Connecticut and in the Deep South, I was raised, and spent my entire professional life, in the latter area. Specifically, as a sports fan, what this means is that I, like Coach Harper, was "brought up" in the SEC. I know that many folks will vigorously contest this view, but those of us who grew up observing sports in that part of the country entertain a different perspective, as compared with most folk, about what the term "strength of schedule" means, or ought to mean. Because football, in that part of the country, constitutes the national religion, this view is especially applicable to that sport, but extends to others as well. The regular season in most sports tends to be much more entertaining than in many other conferences because, week in and week out, teams are engaged in one "holy war" after another, a more imposing gauntlet than other fans around the country can possibly imagine. As a country girl from Sparta, Tennessee, Kellie's attitudes were inevitably shaped by these experiences.

Simply put, if Coach Harper does, in fact, not only have the Lady Vols on a roll, but is intent upon a schedule upgrade in the process, I say kudos to her...bring it on!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The SOS for Kellie's old job is 117. Two points higher than Stanford. About 230 points higher than Holly's schedule. UConn is 65

Reaction Score
Yes schedule has been soft,.... Would like to see the attitude "anyone, anywhere, anytime".... but as mentioned here it was Hollys schedule

We shall see over course of the season how they stand up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom