Tennessee Basketball Player Jaime Nared on Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Basketball Player Jaime Nared on Geno

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She actually says she was sitting next to Brooke McCarty and she was going on and on saying "He's so dope". Nared was just agreeing with her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While it is fun to comment on this because it is specifically TN and Uconn, it is a fairly standard narrative coming out of any USA trials or team situation with players being exposed to very good coaches from other programs. And it does not necessarily reflect on their own coaches, but on the positive effects of being exposed to other systems and other methods and thought processes. It is why most graduate programs prefer to take students from other undergraduate schools, and why there is a huge industry devoted to workshops and professional training outside of the employer workplace.

Not saying that Geno is not a very special person and coach, just that we shouldn't get too carried away. I was impressed with Nared this past year, so something has gone well with her years at TN.

Thanks Uc for tipping the scales and providing a little "balance" to this thread. Your observation of this narrative is quite plausible. A observation from a different viewpoint that I'll sheepishly admit I did not think of. With that said, I guess we can give Ms. Nared the benefit of the doubt here. So glad you're a regular contributor to the yard, in that you keep the yard in balance and an even keel. For what it's worth, I too was impressed with Nared's overall play and production last season.

Reaction Score
We all know the coaching situation at Tennessee..... Holly is challenged in the ways of coaching.....

I like Nared and I like her game.... seems like a great person..... if she can move ahead through getting some pointers from Geno and others all power to her.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She actually says she was sitting next to Brooke McCarty and she was going on and on saying "He's so dope". Nared was just agreeing with her.

Nope Jordy ... she says she is sitting next to Brooke "and I was like he's so cool and he's so dope". I suspect she is getting some ribbing in Orange country.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nope Jordy ... she says she is sitting next to Brooke "and I was like he's so cool and he's so dope". I suspect she is getting some ribbing in Orange country.
On another listen, yeah, you're right.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"He apparently is telling her how to improve her game that she hasn't heard from someone else ... like Holly". Good observation SVCBeercats. Nared has been on campus in Knoxville for 3 years. Is it possible that she has not heard this kind of talk from any of her coaches up to now? Hummmm. Is it possible the gap between Geno and Holly is wider than is perceived? :rolleyes:
It is wider than the space time continuum.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what are they suppose to say... "Tennessee coaches suck, I should've went to UConn"?

Reaction Score
We all know the coaching situation at Tennessee..... Holly is challenged in the ways of coaching.....

I like Nared and I like her game.... seems like a great person..... if she can move ahead through getting some pointers from Geno and others all power to her.....

Who wouldn't be...

taking the reins from the only coach to really challenge Geno.

Right now there's Geno and his coaching staff...

then all of WCBB.

Reaction Score
It's truly amazing how little the world of WBB have no understanding of how great Geno Auriemma, the BB coach, really is!

They know! They are afraid to acknowledge it! To acknowledge it means, to them, that Geno truly is the greatest WBB coach and that makes their coach look insignificant (but only to them). Most Uconn fans respect all Div 1 WBB coach, well almost all.

Reaction Score
This is interesting. She is learning how to become a better basketball player listening to Geno. He apparently is telling her how to improve her game that she hasn't heard from someone else ... like Holly. What is funny is her realization and apparent amazement at Geno's knowledge of basketball. Girl! Eleven NCAA championships should have been a really big clue! Kids are too funny!

Once again I met three Vol fans, at a Virginia flea market, all decked out in their Vols Fans shirts--husband, wife, 17 year old daughter. I began by calling them the "Evil Empire"--and got blank stares.
Then I went into the virtues of Ms's Nared and Russell and more blank stares. So I said they play Women's BB for the Vols. They politely explained to me --Football was there thing. I'm not sure they even knew Pat Summitt coached there. I suppose the same is true of Uconn Football or Mens' Basketball fans-not knowing Collier or KLS.

Reaction Score
Who wouldn't be...

taking the reins from the only coach to really challenge Geno.

Right now there's Geno and his coaching staff...

then all of WCBB.

I'm a very long Uconn WBB fan---the last tw0 phrases are not entirely correct.
USC, Stanford, and Miss St went to the same place last year as Geno did--and 2 of them went one step further. As of now there is a Womens College National Champion and it isn't Geno's team.
Wouldn't you think the coach and staff --and then all of WCBB --would be sitting on the top of the WCBB world right now??
Of course we Uconn WCBB fans know the potential for this coming season. But I choose to let Dawn, Aja and company enjoy what they have earned.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed by Miss Nared's statement, and the clarity and dignity with which she expressed herself. She seems to me to be a kindred spirit to Napheesa.

I can also find some affinity to her initial extended reaction to Geno. I moved to Connecticut in 2004, having previously followed the WCBB team from a considerable distance. I had heard Geno being interviewed after games for brief moments, but I had never heard him talk about the team at any length.

When I moved to Connecticut and listened to The Geno Auriemma Show on CPTV, my immediate reaction to that extended interview was that he sounded far more like a professor than a basketball coach. Every thought and phrase was original and clearly his own; he did not speak in cliches like most coaches in most sports. (The only other sports figure in whom I noticed the same characteristic was Chris Evert -- from the time she came on the scene at age 16 or so, every word she said was clearly her own and represented her own original thinking.)

I think that even if Jamie Nared had been coached by Muffitt or Jeff or Tara or even Doug Bruno, she might well have had the same reaction to hearing Geno speak at length about basketball and college life for the first time. Granted, Holly (more than any of those coaches) seems to speak only in cliches, at least in public. But even so, listening to Geno is a unique experience compared to almost any other coach, at any level or in any sport.

I have a stash of Geno shows. I recorded some on tape and converted them to CD. I watched the Geno show, and often called in to ask him questions---(me) why did you keep KML a frosh in the game against ND, you knew Muffet would go after her, she was a liability--his answer --who could I put in her place (me-any one). He got a bit warm under the collar (Muffet will always trap the frosh in tight games-always , even Moriah) I have watched the CPTV Geno shows --more for his sometimes stupid comments, and for his often funny reparte' and less for his professorship commentary.
those old Geno Show CD's --they hold up even today --his views on kids have modified-but his views on BB seem constant

Reaction Score
While it is fun to comment on this because it is specifically TN and Uconn, it is a fairly standard narrative coming out of any USA trials or team situation with players being exposed to very good coaches from other programs. And it does not necessarily reflect on their own coaches, but on the positive effects of being exposed to other systems and other methods and thought processes. It is why most graduate programs prefer to take students from other undergraduate schools, and why there is a huge industry devoted to workshops and professional training outside of the employer workplace.

Not saying that Geno is not a very special person and coach, just that we shouldn't get too carried away
. I was impressed with Nared this past year, so something has gone well with her years at TN.

Geno is a successful coach, very successful---but by his own admission--Winning in WCBB is more the players than the coach--Recruiting top players he says is the key to winning.
I agree, if we heap too much on the shoulder of a human, when that god falls --it isn't always nice.
In the past when Geno has had "average " teams --he received some nasty commentary.

Reaction Score
what are they suppose to say... "Tennessee coaches suck, I should've went to UConn"?
Since the grammar is wrong, it isn't what the Vol fans are supposed to say, but it is most likely what they would say, if they said it.:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Since the grammar is wrong, it isn't what the Vol fans are supposed to say, but it is most likely what they would say, if they said it.:)

The thread" Over There" on Nared's statement rapidly devolved into the usual libelous slurs about Geno. If they didn't have that they'd have nothing at all, or so it would seem.

Reaction Score
The thread" Over There" on Nared's statement rapidly devolved into the usual libelous slurs about Geno. If they didn't have that they'd have nothing at all, or so it would seem.

A handful of Volnationals are abusive to Geno. Rest are very comfortable with the abuse.
Boneyard rules are preventing me from comparing it to recent political events.

Reaction Score
Yes true Vol Nation will always resort to the unkind and sometimes over the line vile comments about Geno..... but it is OK..... they will not change there..... and if it is possible to say... it actually has improved slightly there with respect to the nature of comments on our coach in recent years.....

Bottom line is Jaime Nared had a brief good coaching interaction and experience with Geno, and I am glad for that.... Nared is quite a player..... and from what I have seen in her tenure in Knoxville.... a consistent performer..... I hope she has a good year for them.

Reaction Score
Not only that, they quickly twisted Nared's praise of Geno as a ploy to get herself playing time in the U23 tournament. Everyone knows in Vol land that the flattery would work on narcissistic Geno to get Nared into the line up. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, many Lady Vol fans who post on their message boards are having trouble coming to grips with the fact that Pat Summitt is gone and that their top reputation has been long surpassed by UCONN, Geno & staff, and several other WBB programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom