Tennessee Basketball Player Jaime Nared on Geno | The Boneyard

Tennessee Basketball Player Jaime Nared on Geno

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is interesting. She is learning how to become a better basketball player listening to Geno. He apparently is telling her how to improve her game that she hasn't heard from someone else ... like Holly. What is funny is her realization and apparent amazement at Geno's knowledge of basketball. Girl! Eleven NCAA championships should have been a really big clue! Kids are too funny!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is interesting. She is learning how to become a better basketball player listening to Geno. He apparently is telling her how to improve her game that she hasn't heard from someone else ... like Holly. What is funny is her realization and apparent amazement at Geno's knowledge of basketball. Girl! Eleven NCAA championships should have been a really big clue! Kids are too funny!

"He apparently is telling her how to improve her game that she hasn't heard from someone else ... like Holly". Good observation SVCBeercats. Nared has been on campus in Knoxville for 3 years. Is it possible that she has not heard this kind of talk from any of her coaches up to now? Hummmm. Is it possible the gap between Geno and Holly is wider than is perceived? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
"He apparently is telling her how to improve her game that she hasn't heard from someone else ... like Holly". Good observation SVCBeercats. Nared has been on campus in Knoxville for 3 years. Is it possible that she has not heard this kind of talk from any of her coaches up to now? Hummmm. Is it possible the gap between Geno and Holly is wider than is perceived? :rolleyes:
I've always been of the opinion that the gap couldn't get any wider.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The video was posted in another thread, but it deserves its own little theater. I've listen/watched several times because it tickled me so much. I suspect Jaime said what she said in part to tweak the haters, but mostly because she feels it has been an eye opening experience to have the benefit of Geno's teaching and philosophy. There is a disarming awe struck nature to her delivery. Heck, I'd talk to this old guy for hours!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While it is fun to comment on this because it is specifically TN and Uconn, it is a fairly standard narrative coming out of any USA trials or team situation with players being exposed to very good coaches from other programs. And it does not necessarily reflect on their own coaches, but on the positive effects of being exposed to other systems and other methods and thought processes. It is why most graduate programs prefer to take students from other undergraduate schools, and why there is a huge industry devoted to workshops and professional training outside of the employer workplace.

Not saying that Geno is not a very special person and coach, just that we shouldn't get too carried away. I was impressed with Nared this past year, so something has gone well with her years at TN.

Reaction Score
Sort of like Brittney Griner after her Olympic experience: you could read between the lines (and it wasn't subtle) that she had wished she had gone to UConn.

Funny business, coaching. You're measured by and rewarded for your winning. But to win consistently, you've got to be a great teacher. A coach interested only in winning shouldn't want to help players on other teams. But a teacher wants everyone to improve all the time. UcMiami is (as usual) right that a lot of coaches freely teach players on other teams. But Geno is one of the very, very greatest teachers of any subject, anywhere, anytime I've ever known of.

Reaction Score
Just fun watching this kid talk about all she was getting from talking with Geno and -- here's the punch line, folks -- being amazed that he had anything to teach her.
I mean, the guy has won a championship or two, right? He's had a couple or three players go to the pros, right? He's done a decent job coaching the Olympians, right? And this kid is amazed? Really?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The thing I found most interesting was her "awe-struckness" at how much knowledge he had and how he communicated it to the players. It's pretty clear she's never heard anything like that before from her orange coaching staff... If that isn't a great testimonial for top level kids considering UCONN vs. other programs, I don't know what is...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has a way of making converts. This photo always tickles me.

Angel Loves Geno.jpg

Reaction Score
She'd like to sit and talk to Geno for hours. That could probably be arranged.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That was really the first time. That she has been around Geno. Jamie has improved a lot since entering Tennessee. Last year she hit some big shots. The shot to beat ND. Had some big games scored 30 points career high at Mississippi State. Leadd the SEC in free throw percentage 87.6 tied 17 national. I think she will take the things she heard from Geno and use them to improve her game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno has a way of making converts. This photo always tickles me.

View attachment 24003

During the entire course of any game, Angel's expression seldom changes (Like Clyde Fraizer and Larry Bird), even after a big basket. So the fact that she is smiling is noteworthy. A picture is worth a thousand words. This one says she's become a Geno Disciple, and has bought in completely. When was the last time you saw McCaughtry jump on any coach's back? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The biggest difference imo with coaches is when you come to UConn to play basketball Geno's approach is to teach personal growth with a emphasis on basketball. I learned a long time ago from a man who changed my life. He taught me personal growth. How to think, how to act, what to say, when to keep your mouth shut, how to compete respectfully, how to build your mind and conscience and he changed my life. I only wish I had met him sooner in my life but I am a better person because of him. This is the major difference being a basketball coach. Most coaches teach basketball, Geno builds players from inside out and it never leaves them. Some people think they can and some people think they cant and theyre both right.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Now wait a second...there are a bunch of really smart people who believe that you can't add to infinity

Believe or know? Well, I did not say add to it. I said it could be larger as in another larger infinite set. It has been proved not all infinite sets are the same size. Cantor was very candid on this point. "Strange but True: Infinity Comes in Different Sizes If you were counting on infinity being absolute, your number's up"
Strange but True: Infinity Comes in Different Sizes

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was very impressed by Miss Nared's statement, and the clarity and dignity with which she expressed herself. She seems to me to be a kindred spirit to Napheesa.

I can also find some affinity to her initial extended reaction to Geno. I moved to Connecticut in 2004, having previously followed the WCBB team from a considerable distance. I had heard Geno being interviewed after games for brief moments, but I had never heard him talk about the team at any length.

When I moved to Connecticut and listened to The Geno Auriemma Show on CPTV, my immediate reaction to that extended interview was that he sounded far more like a professor than a basketball coach. Every thought and phrase was original and clearly his own; he did not speak in cliches like most coaches in most sports. (The only other sports figure in whom I noticed the same characteristic was Chris Evert -- from the time she came on the scene at age 16 or so, every word she said was clearly her own and represented her own original thinking.)

I think that even if Jamie Nared had been coached by Muffitt or Jeff or Tara or even Doug Bruno, she might well have had the same reaction to hearing Geno speak at length about basketball and college life for the first time. Granted, Holly (more than any of those coaches) seems to speak only in cliches, at least in public. But even so, listening to Geno is a unique experience compared to almost any other coach, at any level or in any sport.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The biggest difference imo with coaches is when you come to UConn to play basketball Geno's approach is to teach personal growth with a emphasis on basketball. I learned a long time ago from a man who changed my life. He taught me personal growth. How to think, how to act, what to say, when to keep your mouth shut, how to compete respectfully, how to build your mind and conscience and he changed my life. I only wish I had met him sooner in my life but I am a better person because of him. This is the major difference being a basketball coach. Most coaches teach basketball, Geno builds players from inside out and it never leaves them. Some people think they can and some people think they cant and theyre both right.
nice to see you TonyC... now only if @Kibitzer would chime in, my summer would be great

Reaction Score
Angel McCoughtry So respects Geno Auriemma that when she played on the USA team she completely changed her personality, so as not to give USA BB a reason to cut her!
Every time she has spoken about Geno has been with reverence!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom