Tennessee (13) @ Georgia - 1/13/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee (13) @ Georgia - 1/13/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't like this logic. We don't know how well those schools recruited her. Maybe they should have done a better job? She's just a kid trying to make the best decision for her. And for all we know Tennessee still is where she feels most comfortable on and off the court.

Oregon St. was in her final 4, I don't know about Oregon. It's just a little jab because so many players have left Oregon to play at Tennessee, and now both UO and OSU are better than UT.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The VolNation thread should be particularly enjoyable this time if viewed sequentially since TN starts out with a lead so lots of happiness :):):) to begin followed by a growing wave of disbelief :eek::eek::eek:
and then anger :mad::mad::mad: and then Head bangHead bangHead bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The VolNation thread should be particularly enjoyable this time if viewed sequentially since TN starts out with a lead so lots of happiness :):):) to begin followed by a growing wave of disbelief :eek::eek::eek:
and then anger :mad::mad::mad: and then Head bangHead bangHead bang
I think LV fans are experiencing the five stages of grief:

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Reaction Score
When we play them next season, our team will not be as strong as they are now. I don't like it. Why could we not play them when we could beat them by 60 pts?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
When we play them next season, our team will not be as strong as they are now. I don't like it. Why could we not play them when we could beat them by 60 pts?
Seriously, LSU embarrassed USF by like 40. I don't want to even think about next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Taking quick bets: How many new "Fire Holly" on VolNation will be started in the wake of this loss?
It's a treat going over there. They are mystified how the AD and administration CAN'T fire her. Funny thing is, Holly isn't going anywhere. She's recruiting better than ever and Holly has been to the elite 8 three times, Sweet 16 once, and bowed out in the round of 32 twice. For 99% of the programs out there, that would be tremendous. I get it's not for Tennessee fans, but they are solid results.

BTW Pat's last 4 seasons - lost in 1st round, 2 elite 8's, 1 sweet 16. Really no better than Holly.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UT has talent but they find a way to lose! Easy to blame the coach but the players bear the majority of responsibility, they are the ones shooting the ball!
They aren’t shooting in rhythm and are being forced to shoot from spots they don’t want to shoot from. A good coach would show them how to read the defense, set screens, or do passing drills to show the players viable options

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I used to worry about that too but consider this...

We will start Dangerfield, Williams, Walker, ONO, and probably Griffin (but maybe one of the other reserves will step up). No matter how much talent Tennessee has, they are terrible in the half court, run almost no offense, and rely on O-boards, or 1 on 1 play mostly. There's also always the chance UCONN gets a foreign kid, JUCO or graduate transfer, or something to help next season too. Don't despair!!

Reaction Score
It's a treat going over there. They are mystified how the AD and administration CAN'T fire her. Funny thing is, Holly isn't going anywhere. She's recruiting better than ever and Holly has been to the elite 8 three times, Sweet 16 once, and bowed out in the round of 32 twice. For 99% of the programs out there, that would be tremendous. I get it's not for Tennessee fans, but they are solid results.

BTW Pat's last 4 seasons - lost in 1st round, 2 elite 8's, 1 sweet 16. Really no better than Holly.

Holly's Last Three Full Seasons 67-34
SEC RECORD 29-19
2 Second Round loses in last two seasons
Before the last three season LV lost 20 SEC GAMES from 2005-2015

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does Tennessee even deserved to be ranked at this point? If they didn't have the name on the jersey, would they be ranked?

How far will they fall after 3 straight losses? It better be fairly steep. Other than a win at Texas (who also isn't living up to expectations) there really is not much on their resume.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How far will they fall after 3 straight losses? It better be fairly steep. Other than a win at Texas (who also isn't living up to expectations) there really is not much on their resume.
Well, they only fell 3 spots after the loss to Missouri. So at that rate, #19?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Pat had two years of 34-3 and 32-3 with #1 seeds during that stretch while facing one of the toughest schedules in the country. Much different quality of season compared to Holly's Elite 8 in 2016 (22-14, 7 seed) or her results the past several years where shes scheduled cupcakes in nonconference, the team doesnt compete for the SEC title and bows out early. 2012 I'd also consider a Holly season more than Pat considering Holly was the one leading the team and taking on more responsibility. Very different results from Pat unless you cherry pick results.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Honestly I hope this team tanks the rest of the year. That's the only way we have a chance to get Holly out. If we pull out these close games her record looks better and shes more likely to continue coaching. Tennessee doesnt have a shot at the Final Four as long as she is coaching....I would much rather sacrifice one season so we can get someone who actually knows how to coach.

The big issue is her teams always look dreadful on both ends of the court and players regress under her guidance. Players stand around and aren't held accountable for taking plays off or being lazy. Her teams are not enjoyable to watch and every year she takes a group of talented players and drives the season into the ground.

Literally any coach will be able to land good players at Tennessee....the school sells itself for women's basketball. Get someone who can coach and the results and recruits will follow.

Reaction Score
I always enjoy her insights into the LV's trials and tribulations. I thought she may surface with some info after they blew a 17 point lead today to Georgia
and losing their 3rd straight game.

The fans are on Holly again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Honestly I hope this team tanks the rest of the year. That's the only way we have a chance to get Holly out. If we pull out these close games her record looks better and shes more likely to continue coaching. Tennessee doesnt have a shot at the Final Four as long as she is coaching....I would much rather sacrifice one season so we can get someone who actually knows how to coach.

The big issue is her teams always look dreadful on both ends of the court and players regress under her guidance. Players stand around and aren't held accountable for taking plays off or being lazy. Her teams are not enjoyable to watch and every year she takes a group of talented players and drives the season into the ground.

Literally any coach will be able to land good players at Tennessee....the school sells itself for women's basketball. Get someone who can coach and the results and recruits will follow.
I appreciate your candor and recognize that many LV fans feel as you do. In a strange way, the real dilemma for Phil Fulmer and UT athletics is Pat’s legacy. Clearly Pat is revered in Knoxville, and her last major act as HC of the LV’s was to see to it that HW, her top Assistant and friend assumed the HC job. Any decision to remove HW is, in a way, a rejection of Pat’s last wishes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Any decision to remove HW is, in a way, a rejection of Pat’s last wishes.

I think coaches shouldn't necessarily be trusted to hand pick their replacement. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But that decision really should be made by an AD or some other administrator at the school.

Anyway following a coaching legend is nearly an impossible task. Sometimes it takes a couple hires to get it right. Sometimes it seems like you never can find a worthy successor (UCLA men and Oregon St. men are a couple that come to mind; John Wooden and Ralph Miller aren't walking thru that door, but neither can seem to find the right guy).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I always enjoy her insights into the LV's trials and tribulations. I thought she may surface with some info after they blew a 17 point lead today to Georgia
and losing their 3rd straight game.

The fans are on Holly again.

Where ever she is, I hope it is far away from sharp objects.

Reaction Score
I recorded this game, but stop watching after the 1st half. Such poor basketball (by both teams).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom