Tennessee (13) @ Georgia - 1/13/19 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee (13) @ Georgia - 1/13/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Assistants do not always make good coaches. They have different skill requirements. The same applies to players in respect to coaching. While Pat was with out a doubt a really good coach, she was from a different era. The level of coaching in WCBB has really improved. I believe even Pat would have a hard time keeping pace.

Although that is a good foun You could learn an effective system by being part of a successful, which is what assistants and former players used to rely on when they became coaches. Tyler Phommachanh be successful today it takes more than just knowing how to run a system with talented players. I believe that Pat might have appointed Holly because she knew that Holly would keep running the system she believed in. Holly does not have the personality to run a system geared to Pats. Besides even Pat running her system would not be that successful any more the way the game is played today. The game has changed and the level of womens coaching has improved to the degree that to keep pace would have required her to adapt as well. . Yet I doubt that change was ever her strong suit.

Reaction Score
I don't like this logic. We don't know how well those schools recruited her. Maybe they should have done a better job? She's just a kid trying to make the best decision for her. And for all we know Tennessee still is where she feels most comfortable on and off the court.
Evina was recruited heavily in the state of Oregon. Jamie Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Evina apparently saw something in University of Tennessee.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Evina was recruited heavily in the state of Oregon. Jamie Nared, Mercedes Russell, and Evina apparently saw something in University of Tennessee.
Clearly the water in the state of Oregon needs to be tested for brain-affecting toxins.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Did the Lady Vols set a FG to PF ratio record?

23/20

If that stat troubles the mind, try Fouls to Field goals at ~87%.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Funny you should say that...this past summer, Salem, OR, the city where Evina Westbrook grew up, had a public water issue for a month because of toxins in the water from algae.
See?! It all makes sense now!

Plebe

Reaction Score
OK, I still have it, I'll watch the 3rd quarter.
It was pretty fun. They had Teresa Edwards (former Georgia great) guest commentating. The denizens of VolNation didn't really appreciated the one-sided commentary that resulted.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
OK, I still have it, I'll watch the 3rd quarter.
How could you not enjoy watching the Lady Vols play so poorly? Now I have trouble watching UConn when they play like they did early in the game today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I appreciate your candor and recognize that many LV fans feel as you do. In a strange way, the real dilemma for Phil Fulmer and UT athletics is Pat’s legacy. Clearly Pat is revered in Knoxville, and her last major act as HC of the LV’s was to see to it that HW, her top Assistant and friend assumed the HC job. Any decision to remove HW is, in a way, a rejection of Pat’s last wishes.

I'll respectfully say that I don't think anyone sees it that way. Pat gave Holly a great opportunity to take over as Tennessee's head coach, and Holly has had 7 (really 8 if you count 2012) years to prove her ability to lead this program. During this time, she's proven to be incapable of fulfilling this role at an acceptable level. Pat wouldn't want the powerhouse she built from scratch to be completely destroyed and forgotten about. Pat was a fierce competitor and the last thing she'd want is for her friendship with Holly to be the reason why Tennessee disappears into oblivion. Tennessee's status as a top competitor in women's basketball is gone, attendance is steadily declining and the program's overall relevance is quickly disappearing. It's time to move on and let someone else have a shot at putting this program back on the map.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It was pretty fun. They had Teresa Edwards (former Georgia great) guest commentating. The denizens of VolNation didn't really appreciated the one-sided commentary that resulted.

I thought she was great--seemed like a humble easy going person. Enjoyed her commentary. She was clearly rooting for Georgia but she was a former star there that they talked with for 10-15 minutes so she shouldn't be held accountable to be neutral like a Doris Burke or Rebecca Lobo should be. I also don't think she made any biased statements other than that she was rooting for UGA.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Does Tennessee even deserved to be ranked at this point? If they didn't have the name on the jersey, would they be ranked?

I don't think so, or if we do it's between 22-25. The only good win is over Texas, and they've lost to 2 unranked teams.

It's funny how scheduling a weak non-conference usually comes back to bite teams in the butt. You look at a team like South Carolina who struggled through a very good non-conference schedule and looked dead in the water, now they're likely going to challenge for the conference title. Compare that Tennessee who scheduled cupcakes and rose up to a top 10 ranking, but now it's clear they are not prepared to compete in SEC play. Exact same thing happened last year for the LVs.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't think so, or if we do it's between 22-25. The only good win is over Texas, and they've lost to 2 unranked teams.

It's funny how scheduling a weak non-conference usually comes back to bite teams in the butt. You look at a team like South Carolina who struggled through a very good non-conference schedule and looked dead in the water, now they're likely going to challenge for the conference title. Compare that Tennessee who scheduled cupcakes and rose up to a top 10 ranking, but now it's clear they are not prepared to compete in SEC play. Exact same thing happened last year for the LVs.
Tennessee will not drop out of the rankings, partly because several teams below them also lost to unranked teams (#22 Florida State to Clemson, #25 Indiana to Ohio State, and #24 Cal to Arizona).

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Im not making this up. Tennessee's next game is against unranked bama, who've beaten them the last 4 games in a row..alabama has been unranked in each of those losses..things will get super interesting if they lose to bama once again..

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Tennessee will not drop out of the rankings, partly because several teams below them also lost to unranked teams (#22 Florida State to Clemson, #25 Indiana to Ohio State, and #24 Cal to Arizona).

If they lose to bammer, thatll prolly do it

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Anyhow, congrats to georgia..they adjusted, started hitting shots and made one heck of a comeback win..the georgia coach was also very prego..she had to be super excited about the win and that baby was prolly kicking hard

Reaction Score
All in all, its sad to see a once proud program fall on hard times. Especially for the fans that have been steeped in having high expectations. Especially since it does not seemed to be caused by a decline in their draw in recruiting. One can only wonder when the recruiting will finally feel the effects of the present won loss records. No program can continue to live entirely on reputation forever.

Reaction Score
A little visualization of how TN fans are reacting. My personal favorite is the ' dumpster fire'

espnW on Twitter

Why not? Little-known fact: The “dumpster” was invented in Knoxville in 1935 by local Knoxville entrepreneur and mayor, George Roby Dempster. Dempster marketed his invention as the “Dempster-Dumpster.” So we know a lot about “dumpster fires” here in Knoxville. I just don’t like to see our team start one! Seriously, we will have a much more mature and talented team next year. How much better? We’ll just have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
Why not? Little-known fact: The “dumpster” was invented in Knoxville in 1935 by local Knoxville entrepreneur and mayor, George Roby Dempster. Dempster marketed his invention as the “Dempster-Dumpster.” So we know a lot about “dumpster fires” here in Knoxville. I just don’t like to see our team start one! Seriously, we will have a much more mature and talented team next year. How much better? We’ll just have to wait and see.

oh you make me laugh.... ya hope LVs can get back some respectability this year.... win over alabama would be a good start..... i think they have a winning streak vs Tenn.... it should stop this week

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One of the reasons Tennessee lost was scoring balance - or should I say lack of balance. Westbrook had 23 points. Next in line was Green with 7. A one woman show in scoring is not going to get you far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom