Tennesse vs South Carolina | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tennesse vs South Carolina

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
A few observations about the game that I not seen previously mentioned. Jordan Horston was removed from the starting for this came and came of the bench probably because she played so poorly in the prior game against TA&M where she totaled 2 points. Clearly this lit a fire in Horston as she played very motivated from the jump and especially down the stretch. Good for her and very brave of Kellie to make this move.
Boston made her last FG of the game at the 7:02 of the 4Q which put SC up by 3. From that point to the end of the game she had 1 FG attempt and was noticeably out of gas.
Pet Peeve: Dawn Staley skilled fully play the refs during this game. With TN up by 3 points and TN possession Dawn Twice made 3 consecutive subs (one at a time) and none of which were at the scorer's table prior to the officials being ready to inbound the ball. This allowed Dawn to see how TN was set up to break the press and to make switches to get in favorable SC match ups. The result was two consecutive turnovers for TN. I don't know why these refs were so tolerant of Dawn making these subs. At one point Dawn even had 6 players on the floor and took her time deciding who needed to come off as the refs were waiting. Unless the rule has changed a player needs to be at scorer's table prior to the ball being ready for play to be allowed to enter the game.
I generally do not comment on other teams or their players’ flaws because I only watch them when they are playing UConn, but your comment about Boston also jumped right out at me previously. She appeared to be gassed towards the end of our game, remarkably so. If we are in a close game again with SC at the end, I will again like our chances.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So South Carolina goes on the road and blows one against a well-coached and improving Tennessee. What does that say about SC? About the same thing that the UConn loss at Arkansas said about UConn...not a lot

Sump'ting though...I daresay, it will knock them out of 2nd in the polls...
down to 4th or 5th.

Reaction Score
I generally do not comment on other teams or their players’ flaws because I only watch them when they are playing UConn, but your comment about Boston also jumped right out at me previously. She appeared to be gassed towards the end of our game, remarkably so. If we are in a close game again with SC at the end, I will again like our chances.
Yes I saw that as well, when Dawn pulled her in the fourth she was standing with assistant coach(?) and you could tell she was breathing really hard. Imagine if her conditioning was better, man.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
A few observations about the game that I not seen previously mentioned. Jordan Horston was removed from the starting for this came and came of the bench probably because she played so poorly in the prior game against TA&M where she totaled 2 points. Clearly this lit a fire in Horston as she played very motivated from the jump and especially down the stretch. Good for her and very brave of Kellie to make this move.
Boston made her last FG of the game at the 7:02 of the 4Q which put SC up by 3. From that point to the end of the game she had 1 FG attempt and was noticeably out of gas.
Pet Peeve: Dawn Staley skillfully play the refs during this game. With TN up by 3 points and TN possession Dawn Twice made 3 consecutive subs (one at a time) and none of which were at the scorer's table prior to the officials being ready to inbound the ball. This allowed Dawn to see how TN was set up to break the press and to make switches to get in favorable SC match ups. The result was two consecutive turnovers for TN. I don't know why these refs were so tolerant of Dawn making these subs. At one point Dawn even had 6 players on the floor and took her time deciding who needed to come off as the refs were waiting. Unless the rule has changed a player needs to be at scorer's table prior to the ball being ready for play to be allowed to enter the game.

Damn, that's an awfully good observation on your part and some high end coaching by Dawn (even if she shouldn't have been able to get away with it).

So how does a coach who is that tuned in to the details of the game let her dominant post player get left so few opportunities to score especially at the end of the game? Does she have a flaw that an Associate HC like CD could correct? Or does she just need more time to learn the nuances?

Reaction Score
I just take a certain pleasure in seeing Dawn Staley lose. She yaps at the ref for every little call. Her teams beat the snot out of their opponents with glee. But heaven forbid you look sidewise at her girls. She is just unpleasant.
Hate to call out a coach but I couldn't agree more. She is a yapper. I wasn't rooting for The Vols as much as I was rooting for Coach Harper and against South Carolina/not USC.

Reaction Score
I've been surprised at how she Staley seems to have failed to fully integrate Boston into her offense. Boston should be getting touches on virtually every possession in order to force the defense to key on her. But Boston seems to be an afterthought in the offense. Yes, she gets points in the teens. But she should be getting far more. She is clearly the best post player in the country. I suspect that Coach Geno would have used Boston in such a way to make her, and the rest of the offense, unstoppable. Clear difference in styles and effectiveness.
Dawn suggested that her guards had a problem getting the ball to Boston in the 2nd half so perhaps part of that was Boston (or any post player) presenting herself and going to get the ball not allowing the ball to come to them. I see her with her hands on hips a lot - high school coach would tell their team to go after her when you see that. She does put up numbers but I'd give her 15 and 15 every night and move on and let the rest of the team beat me, if they could...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Sump'ting though...I daresay, it will knock them out of 2nd in the polls...
down to 4th or 5th.
Strange, ESPN personality {Charlie, you know who} stated that SC should still be a number 1 seed. I can think of at least 5-6 teams that would find this Ludacris. Three losses while other teams with less have a legitimate beef with Charlies ascertain. Charlie may turn out to be correct, but there are still games to be played and other top teams need another loss while SC needs to run the table for Charlie to be correct. Just my opinion.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I gotta tell ya SC lost because Davis went off. Burrell carried them in the first qtr. Then leading up to half time Tenn cut the lead. Davis got going and SC didnt adjust and that was the ball game. Both teams do not have good guard play. Tenn has Burrell and Davis when she gets going thats it. Both games depend on rebounding and fast breaks and getting the ball down low to the bigs. To win a NC you need a big or 2 in the middle, good guards good defense and a go to player. UConn has the most to gain over the next couple of weeks because of their youth that has potential and Geno has brought out alot of that potential, and will continue to bring it out. Many other teams dont have players who's potential can be brought out as much as UConns. We all know UConn has great young players who are getting better and will continue to get better. Right now with tournament time so close, we are what we are and Geno will go with it. We have 5 starters 2 players coming off the bench and Anna when she is better. Saylor MIr and Paith are next and that will happen only if we have a big lead, injuries, or foul trouble. We are at the finish line this crazy season and we are what we are and we need to tweak the weaknesses and play, just play. We have shown guts, relentlessness and energy. Thats what will win us a NC and if things get tight we've got Paige and as good as Stanford, LVille TAM SC and UCLA are they dont have what we have. Barring injuries foul trouble and a complete collapse we dont loose for the rest of this season and the nex 4 seasons. We will break alot of records comin up.

Reaction Score
Just

1) SC hubris bites them in the tushy and
2) Dawn might be a wee bit overrated as a bench coach.
What worries me is she is the National coach, she better listen to her assistants, about offense or she might not want to come back from Japan.

Reaction Score
That's why they lost that exhibition to Oregon last year. Need to have the right players and healthy.
No, they lose exhibition games because they never have their full team available for them. And the top players play limited minutes while the coaches assess backups and rookies for the future.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So South Carolina goes on the road and blows one against a well-coached and improving Tennessee. What does that say about SC? About the same thing that the UConn loss at Arkansas said about UConn...not a lot. I get a kick out of the fact that as deep as Tennessee hatred runs on our forum, for a lot of folks it now seems to be replaced by Dawn hatred. This is particularly ironic because Dawn is, in so many ways, a female version of Geno! Folks just don't like such brash personality traits when they're exhibited by the female persuasion! As always, the double standard prevails!!
I'm a Dawn fan so it somewhat of pains me to say this. But aside from their brashness and their Philly background these two people have little in common. Dawn does not have Geno's ability for insightful quips. She doesn't have his sense of humor. They don't have the same mannerisms on the sidelines (or anywhere else for that matter), they don't try to intimidate the refs the same way, and they aren't as brutally honest about how their teams played in postgame. I have no problem whatsoever with Dawn raising a winners banner for last years team. Geno would never do that. They don't run the same type of offense, and aside from Asia they rarely chase the same recruits. They don't like the same music, watch the same TV, drink the same wines (if Dawn even drinks), have the same type of friends, or eat the same kind of food. I understand your sentiment, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Reaction Score
We beat Tenn. with Paige shooting terrible...
Paige is awesome. At TN, Rae Burrell and others guarded Paige very closely. Burrell's D has something to do with normally good shooting guards having off nights. Dungee didn't score as many points as usual against TN.

Reaction Score
I put in other threads that I felt SC wasn’t as good as everyone felt. They can’t shoot....period. They are athletic and play defense, but if Dawn has a knock down shooter in her class next year.... watch out. But as of now, we will beat them anytime we meet them this year. The only team that can beat us because of personnel, is Stanford. Whoever is on their game if we meet will win because it’s a toss up.
SC is really just a pumped up Arizona team. They both are poor shooting teams that rely on their defense to hold the other team’s scoring down enough to allow them to win in spite of their lackluster offense. Of course, Boston is a huge difference but as several posters have pointed out, she is clearly not being used to her optimal level.

Reaction Score
I dont want to see SC again - worst case would be in the Finals. Therefore, hope SC keeps their #2 ranking. I think they are the worst matchup by far for UConn with Boston & their size depth, as well as experience. Not sure what Dawn was doing in the game, but she should have been feeding Boston a lot more in the post. I dont think she'll make the same mistake.

Reaction Score
I dont want to see SC again - worst case would be in the Finals. Therefore, hope SC keeps their #2 ranking. I think they are the worst matchup by far for UConn with Boston & their size depth, as well as experience. Not sure what Dawn was doing in the game, but she should have been feeding Boston a lot more in the post. I dont think she'll make the same mistake.
Probably don't want to see any SEC teams. Get off to a slow start or poor shooting night and any one of Tennessee, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Arkansas could end our time in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I've been surprised at how she Staley seems to have failed to fully integrate Boston into her offense. Boston should be getting touches on virtually every possession in order to force the defense to key on her. But Boston seems to be an afterthought in the offense. Yes, she gets points in the teens. But she should be getting far more. She is clearly the best post player in the country. I suspect that Coach Geno would have used Boston in such a way to make her, and the rest of the offense, unstoppable. Clear difference in styles and effectiveness.
I think Boston among other things is out of shape.... I never have seen a player breathe so labored.... and also so many pictures focusing on her seeming winded..... much like Kashkiduwa and Suarez on Lady Vols they all have to get in better shape come tournament time

Reaction Score
Spurts of ineptitude on South Carolina offense.... it is mystifying that Dawn hasn't found an alternative answer

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
SC lost to us because they had no one to contain Paige.
SC lost to UT because they had no one to contain Rennia
Evidently they are lacking an on ball lock down defender.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Probably don't want to see any SEC teams. Get off to a slow start or poor shooting night and any one of Tennessee, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Arkansas could end our time in the tourney.
If you want to be the best you must beat the best, whoever they may be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom