Tennesse vs South Carolina | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennesse vs South Carolina

Reaction Score
SC was up by 16. Literally nobody to blame but themselves. Dawn doesn’t seem like a very good coach based on what I saw, which is surprising.
She's won a natty (although I am confident she would not have beaten UCONN if little Ms. Williams had not sent us packing that year). There are only 6 coaches currently coaching who can say that. She's perhaps not the best Xs and Os coach, but she coached her team to a finals win and that has to count for something!

Reaction Score
Frankly all of the teams in the top 10 are highly flawed. UConn however showed how glaring SCar's flaws are. Their guards are small and they are shoot first guards. The problem then is they're poor outside shooters and the entire team are average passers at that. They don't see the floor well except for driving lanes.

This goes back to Dawn. She recruited athletes, and although they can play a transition game, when good teams shut down their transition baskets they're just average in the half court. Don't get me wrong, they're a very talented team, and they're better than they showed tonight. But talent alone doesn't win championships. This team has the most dominant post in WCBB and tonight she had 12 shots. Cooke, again, had a whopping 22, and she made 6. Once again this team had a miserable 11 assists on 26 made baskets. Henderson had 6 of them. That's not a formula for championship basketball. Period.

I said this at the beginning of the season, and I'm sure every SCar fan is going to disagree with me, but Cooke is pretty much the same guard I saw at the U 16 America's, the U17 World's and the U19 World's. If she doesn't have her shot, if she isn't coming down on the break, she's not going to contribute much. Dawn's forward crew is very good indeed, and they play hard, tough defense, but they can't dribble the ball over the half court and set themselves up for the shot. Henderson is a fine talent with good speed and she's full of grit. She plays tough defense as well, and is the far better passer than Cooke, but she too is undersized, and taller teams, UConn included take advantage of that.

Now, if people look back they'll see I've always been very complimentary of Dawn and was pleased that she recruits well. I was one of those that wanted a real rivalry with UConn because I see it as good for basketball. But Dawn plays a simple up tempo offense: grab the rebound, pass it to the guards, run to the basket. When that fails dump it inside or drive the lane. When one commentator said UConn has less talent than SCar but executed better in their win, my response was, what offense is there that Dawn has to execute? I think Dawn has failed in two aspects so far. First, she's failed to recognize that she needs to recruit guards that can pass and she needs a selfless team that knows how to move the ball. Second, she needs to surround a dominant post with shooters. She has done neither.
I've said this a few times: SC guards are not facilitators and often they are TO machines. Cooke is over-rated..High volume, low return player. Will have the great game every now and again. They aren't good at perimeter defense either. The neglect they have for Boston is criminal. If anybody has 22 shots in a game, it should be Boston.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Davis called “soft” by her coach at halftime.

Staley says her pg struggles playing 40 minutes.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Talk about top teams in WCBB this season. I hear alot about SC and Stanford and both had big leads and lost them. If Im not mistaken both were 20+ pt turn arounds. Both have alot of bigs and it still comes down to guards. UConn and LVille have good guards and have go to players. Neither SC or Stanford have them. They do have bigs who can score however guards run the show. Tenn last nite had Burrell and Davis show up and dominate each half. Both we Tenns go to players. That was the difference.

Reaction Score
I remember UConn once had a big lead over Notre Dame at half time in the FF and blew it; does that make Geno a bad coach? At one time I disliked Dawn and now I don't, she's a very good coach with moxie. In addition I like the respect SC fans have for UConn and the game of BB. I graduated from UConn, retired to FL and now moving to North Myrtle Beach, SC so SC will be my 2nd favorite team. I hope to meet some SC fans there.

Reaction Score
After watching several of SC and Boston's games a month ago, I posted that while Boston should be the most dominate player in women's basketball, she appeared slower than she should be. When I questioned her conditioning, SC fans came out of nowhere to defend her. While I still question Boston's conditioning, Dawn's current offensive system is hard to understand. Passes to Boston appear random - sometimes she gets the ball in her sweet spot, sometimes when doubled and no shot available. Boston often can shoot over a smaller defender but passes ball back out. If Boston stays near basket, great chance for offensive rebounds but she often wanders to key. This is a great team, one I don't underestimate, and doubt we will see the same inconsistent schemes in playoffs.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dawns team loses two top 20 games and suddenly she's a terrible coach. Has everyone forgotten that uconn nearly lost 3 games in the past month?

The optimum word in your statement is "nearly." UConn didn't lose those games.

SC is flawed like many teams, UConn included. Is Dawn a terrible coach? - no. A great coach? - no.

Reaction Score
Frankly all of the teams in the top 10 are highly flawed. UConn however showed how glaring SCar's flaws are. Their guards are small and they are shoot first guards. The problem then is they're poor outside shooters and the entire team are average passers at that. They don't see the floor well except for driving lanes.

This goes back to Dawn. She recruited athletes, and although they can play a transition game, when good teams shut down their transition baskets they're just average in the half court. Don't get me wrong, they're a very talented team, and they're better than they showed tonight. But talent alone doesn't win championships. This team has the most dominant post in WCBB and tonight she had 12 shots. Cooke, again, had a whopping 22, and she made 6. Once again this team had a miserable 11 assists on 26 made baskets. Henderson had 6 of them. That's not a formula for championship basketball. Period.

I said this at the beginning of the season, and I'm sure every SCar fan is going to disagree with me, but Cooke is pretty much the same guard I saw at the U 16 America's, the U17 World's and the U19 World's. If she doesn't have her shot, if she isn't coming down on the break, she's not going to contribute much. Dawn's forward crew is very good indeed, and they play hard, tough defense, but they can't dribble the ball over the half court and set themselves up for the shot. Henderson is a fine talent with good speed and she's full of grit. She plays tough defense as well, and is the far better passer than Cooke, but she too is undersized, and taller teams, UConn included take advantage of that.

Now, if people look back they'll see I've always been very complimentary of Dawn and was pleased that she recruits well. I was one of those that wanted a real rivalry with UConn because I see it as good for basketball. But Dawn plays a simple up tempo offense: grab the rebound, pass it to the guards, run to the basket. When that fails dump it inside or drive the lane. When one commentator said UConn has less talent than SCar but executed better in their win, my response was, what offense is there that Dawn has to execute? I think Dawn has failed in two aspects so far. First, she's failed to recognize that she needs to recruit guards that can pass and she needs a selfless team that knows how to move the ball. Second, she needs to surround a dominant post with shooters. She has done neither.
Spot on! This SC team with Boston is very much like the early Aja Wilson teams that were missing savvy guards who could shoot. It took transfers to fix that deficit.

Reaction Score
She's won a natty (although I am confident she would not have beaten UCONN if little Ms. Williams had not sent us packing that year). There are only 6 coaches currently coaching who can say that. She's perhaps not the best Xs and Os coach, but she coached her team to a finals win and that has to count for something!

Agree, but didn't show last night.

Reaction Score
Trade off is that the win over SC does not look as impressive.
I put in other threads that I felt SC wasn’t as good as everyone felt. They can’t shoot....period. They are athletic and play defense, but if Dawn has a knock down shooter in her class next year.... watch out. But as of now, we will beat them anytime we meet them this year. The only team that can beat us because of personnel, is Stanford. Whoever is on their game if we meet will win because it’s a toss up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Watched this game at well As the Louisville game and caught some of the North Carolina state game as well
I think it’s safe to say there’s no great or dominant team this year and that the tournament is truly wide-open

if UConn can and at least shoot the ball reasonably well I do like their chances
I commented in another post that (IMO) there are no dominant teams this year. There are 4-7 teams that can get hot during the tournament, and play exceptional basketball for 6 games, especially if the ball bounces their way a couple of times. I agree with you that if UConn can play the rest of the season as they did against St. John’s, they have as good a chance as anyone else.

Last year we lost 3 games because we couldn’t score. This year we lost to Arkansas because we couldn’t stop them from scoring. We can’t allow a team to score 90 points and expect to win. We have to be able to get stops at crucial points in the game.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I put in other threads that I felt SC wasn’t as good as everyone felt. They can’t shoot....period. They are athletic and play defense, but if Dawn has a knock down shooter in her class next year.... watch out. But as of now, we will beat them anytime we meet them this year. The only team that can beat us because of personnel, is Stanford. Whoever is on their game if we meet will win because it’s a toss up.
Stanford is a tough out this year. Not a team you want on your side of the bracket. You have to play your A game against them. They’re not going to beat themselves. Sure, they have warts like every other team. Like UConn, they are a team no one looks forward to playing, especially late in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just

1) SC hubris bites them in the tushy and
2) Dawn might be a wee bit overrated as a bench coach.

I've been surprised at how she Staley seems to have failed to fully integrate Boston into her offense. Boston should be getting touches on virtually every possession in order to force the defense to key on her. But Boston seems to be an afterthought in the offense. Yes, she gets points in the teens. But she should be getting far more. She is clearly the best post player in the country. I suspect that Coach Geno would have used Boston in such a way to make her, and the rest of the offense, unstoppable. Clear difference in styles and effectiveness.

Reaction Score
Stanford is a tough out this year. Not a team you want on your side of the bracket. You have to play your A game against them. They’re not going to beat themselves.
Stanford has given up big leads multiple times and tend to go into a 1v1 stagnant offense at times. They are flawed like everyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom