Tenn vs So Carolina | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tenn vs So Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Couple thoughts---first, Tennessee just needs to get rid of Holly. It's so bad that I'm cheering against the Vols in hopes that her plummeting will for sure mean she is out next year. This team has 4 players who were top 6 recruits and several other McDonald All Americans. Russell looks like a big post who is soft with no real skill or ability inside, Wilson completely outplayed her. DeShields gets visibly frustrated, makes a few good passes during the game but will take every shot lot (good or bad.) She elevates as well as anyone in college basketball but is not cohesive with her teammates. Nared has moments where she looks solid and then will have moments where she looks completely lost on the court. All three point guards are so streaky, Graves is solid but underutilized. Crazy to think she was ranked a top player in a top loaded 2012 class alongside Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Tuck and Loyd. She looked like she might be the best of the bunch at this point 3 years ago, but she hasn't improved at all.

Tennessee had a GREAT shot to win this game with the lead in the 3rd quarter. SC got some momentum and Holly never called a timeout to break it. Poor game management until the very end when the game was over.

A'ja Wilson is outstanding, she really outplayed both UT bigs and was able to utilize her quickness and ability to finish and bang inside. She's much more aggressive than she was as a freshman. Still confused as to how people think she has guard skills or would ever play out of the PF or Center spot in college, but she is developing into one of the nation's elite power forwards and would be my pick for SEC POY.

Who is going to play point guard for USC next year? Cuevas plays with energy but is just flat out bad 65% of the time. She was terrible tonight, every time she touched the ball it was a turnover or bad decision. With a lineup of Gray/Davis/Coates/Wilson, whoever is running the show will have a ridiculous array of weapons to choose from next year. It's not Cuevas unless she completely renovates her game, but who is it then?

Lastly, there's no way SC should be rated above Notre Dame. Did anyone watch ND this weekend? They murdered a good Miami team and have so many weapons to choose from. SC grinds out wins but I think ND is a solid 10-12 points better than SC this season.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I don't usually weigh in on Tenn WCB...but, this time I can't help it. 1. First and foremost...Holly looks like a coach who has lost control. She isn't controlling this team...if she is they aren't listening. 2. Mercedes Russell is a 6'6" player who came in with a lot of hype...she played USA basketball and she was supposed to be the next great center for TN. She has definitely underperformed. 3. The players in the post game presser...God Bless their little hearts but, they seem like players in denial to me. Going on about all they need is to believe in themselves, and always beating themselves, it wasn't like they were really putting it all out there (well why not...it goes to having "heart") and finally referencing the 10 loss team that won a championship. 4. Their 3 point shooting is almost non-existent and it is killing the bigs allowing teams to clog the middle. 5. Diamond is a great talent but her shot selection is not that good and she does very little to make those around her better. 6. Graves has a lot of heart and is a true warrior. 6. Scoring in the fifties isn't going to get the job done. 7. Having more turnovers than made baskets is a very telling statistic. 8. They were lucky Coates and Mitchell had an off night. 9. If they can't win in their own gym it won't get any easier on a neutral court and they better pray they don't get a top seeded team on their home floor early in the tourney...I mean 10 losses and 6 and 6 in the conference isn't going to earn you a high seed. 10. They will need to advance to the finals in their conference tourney in order to get some help with their seeding. 11. TN recruiting hasn't been that good of late so there doesn't seem to be a savior for their declining program in the wings. 12. The Louisville vs South Florida game was a far more entertaining game than this one...some teams are just bad match-ups for each other...I believe this is one of those games...I believe these two teams playing each other spells UGLY.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Couple thoughts---first, Tennessee just needs to get rid of Holly. It's so bad that I'm cheering against the Vols in hopes that her plummeting will for sure mean she is out next year. This team has 4 players who were top 6 recruits and several other McDonald All Americans. Russell looks like a big post who is soft with no real skill or ability inside, Wilson completely outplayed her. DeShields gets visibly frustrated, makes a few good passes during the game but will take every shot lot (good or bad.) She elevates as well as anyone in college basketball but is not cohesive with her teammates. Nared has moments where she looks solid and then will have moments where she looks completely lost on the court. All three point guards are so streaky, Graves is solid but underutilized. Crazy to think she was ranked a top player in a top loaded 2012 class alongside Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Tuck and Loyd. She looked like she might be the best of the bunch at this point 3 years ago, but she hasn't improved at all.

Tennessee had a GREAT shot to win this game with the lead in the 3rd quarter. SC got some momentum and Holly never called a timeout to break it. Poor game management until the very end when the game was over.

A'ja Wilson is outstanding, she really outplayed both UT bigs and was able to utilize her quickness and ability to finish and bang inside. She's much more aggressive than she was as a freshman. Still confused as to how people think she has guard skills or would ever play out of the PF or Center spot in college, but she is developing into one of the nation's elite power forwards and would be my pick for SEC POY.

Who is going to play point guard for USC next year? Cuevas plays with energy but is just flat out bad 65% of the time. She was terrible tonight, every time she touched the ball it was a turnover or bad decision. With a lineup of Gray/Davis/Coates/Wilson, whoever is running the show will have a ridiculous array of weapons to choose from next year. It's not Cuevas unless she completely renovates her game, but who is it then?

Lastly, there's no way SC should be rated above Notre Dame. Did anyone watch ND this weekend? They murdered a good Miami team and have so many weapons to choose from. SC grinds out wins but I think ND is a solid 10-12 points better than SC this season.

Tony if ND is a solid 10-12 point favorite over SC this season and since we played ND without Turner and only won by 10 points and that we only beat South Carolina by 12 with an injured Wilson...that if we play Notre Dame again that they should beat us???

Reaction Score
DD might be the first Div. I WBB player to transfer to 4 schools all 4 years!
NoCar/TN/?Baylor?/?the OSU?/
Or she'll go pro after Junior year?

Reaction Score
As if the Vols situation wasn't enough fun, Diamond's dad has taken to Twitter, including direct tweets at the team's account and Holly's.

https://twitter.com/DelinoDeShields/with_replies

In case he deletes, here are the 4 in order.

@LadyVol_Hoops if Holly don't put @DDDeshields back n the game!!!! What are you doing?

@HollyWarlick trying to beat the best without her best players on the court! #sad

Oh ... Now you put her in!?!?!

@LadyVol_Hoops Good coaching recognize bad coaching!!

I have greatly enjoyed Deshields Sr's twitters. He has made Kaela Davis' mom look like a saint tonight.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Dawn's patience with Cuevas is being tested. We have this saying.. "some nights you get good Bianca, some nights you get bad Bianca". I'm not sure Dawn is going to have the patience to let Bianca play through her mistakes next year... she'll be a junior. Losing Colley hurts here because I think she would've been a great starting PG for next year. We have options here though. Tiffany Davis, who's on a medical redshirt, can play the point. Cliney can also play the point and we have a freshmen point guard coming in (possibly two if Harris commits).

Cuevas is becoming a liability at point. I'm wondering if Dawn molds Cliney into a full time PG. Cliney is an athletic SG, but she has been serviceable at PG this season and she's also a scorer, so we'll no longer be playing 4 against 5 on the offensive end. But if that's not in the cards, Tiffany Davis would make a good starting point guard as well, she's smart and a really good passer and shooter. Davis was a reserve point guard last season. She just hasn't had enough pt to really dent the box score during her career.

I think Dawn goes with Tiffany Davis next season unless Dawn can really break through to Bianca this offseason. Cliney may end up being too valuable at 2 next season. Her game will be a big part of the team going forward. In the end, this is all hypothetical anyway... Dawn uses her PG/SG players interchangeably. If Tiff Mitchell isn't on the floor then we usually rotate our point guards/shooting guards through the 1-2 position.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I watched what parts I could stomach - not a lot! Not surprised at Tenn's difficulties. Was surprised at SCar. They did not look like a top ten team in this game! But I guess they have a history of playing at the level of their opponent and then pulling it out at the end. Except against UConn, of course.
Very ugly game. These kinds of games are what is bad for WCBB. Sad to see a nationally televised game of ranked teams look like this. Hope there were not first-time viewers or they will be last-time viewers. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Having suffered through this game I'm just going to put it out there. The talent level between these too teams is much closer than I thought and indicative of the final score. The difference in the game came down to Wilson being able to elevate her game just enough above all the players in uniform for a South Carolina win. Both teams lacked discipline and cohesion and the players came off like bunch of whining children. The coaches looked worst because instead of correcting the undisciplined play they were yelling at the referees-resulting in some well justified technical fouls. Jamie Nared attempted to throw a post past to Mercedes that missed by several yards-instead of the "my bad" or I'll do better next time she started yelling at Mercedes and then yelled at the coaches for correcting her.

Reaction Score
Skip the bobble heads and hand out the Lysol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Watched So. Carolina several times his year, including last night's Tennessee game and Coates has got to be one of the most overrated supposed all-Americans in D1. Not trying to read into her demeanor but she seems to be very indifferent or almost lazy in her approach to the game. Hard to believe that someone with her size can't dominate on a pretty consistent basis and should be, in my opinion, against the top ranked teams. She seems to turn it on, turn it off at times.

Reaction Score
The "talking suits" rave about SEC WBB as the best in the nation. IMO SEC BB sucks big time! There is no offense, games in the 50's, mediocre defense, no hustle, just all around terrible BB!
So called Star Players are awful, no consistency from game to game.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Couple thoughts---first, Tennessee just needs to get rid of Holly. It's so bad that I'm cheering against the Vols in hopes that her plummeting will for sure mean she is out next year.

Bball - unfortunately you're going to have to cheer extra hard because of the LV's final four games, three are against the easiest cupcakes in the SEC. The other is against Georgia at TBA. Whatever your "hopes" may be, what are your expectations against the Bulldogs?

Reaction Score
The "talking suits" rave about SEC WBB as the best in the nation. IMO SEC BB sucks big time! There is no offense, games in the 50's, mediocre defense, no hustle, just all around terrible BB!
So called Star Players are awful, no consistency from game to game.

Massey rating of conferences
  1. PAC 1.97
  2. SEC 1.91
  3. B12 1.90
  4. BiG 1.88
  5. ACC 1.81
  6. BgE 1.65
  7. AAC 1.61
Sagarin rating of conferences
  1. PAC 84.9
  2. SEC 83.8
  3. BiG 83.3
  4. B12 82.2
  5. ACC 80.6
  6. BgE 77.2
  7. AAC 74.0

Reaction Score
Massey rating of conferences
  1. PAC 1.97
  2. SEC 1.91
  3. B12 1.90
  4. BiG 1.88
  5. ACC 1.81
  6. BgE 1.65
  7. AAC 1.61
Sagarin rating of conferences
  1. PAC 84.9
  2. SEC 83.8
  3. BiG 83.3
  4. B12 82.2
  5. ACC 80.6
  6. BgE 77.2
  7. AAC 74.0

vowelguy- - - Yes I realize they're ranked high, but if you watch the games the end product, highly skilled, well played games are not being played. According to their ranking the best WBB is being played in the SEC & the PAC 12 and IMHO the SEC level of competition/play doesn't compare to that ranking! Last night's game between SoCar & TN didn't live up to it's hypel! Turn overs, sloppy play and "stars" under performing is what I watched!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Mercedes Russell has never been developed. Basic fundamentals aren't there. Diamond was a star at UNC and is lost at Tenn coming off the bench. What does that tell you about Tenn? She tried to turn it up but the rest of the team has no idea what to do. Tenn has to much one on one and the ole school that Pat lived by rebound rebound rebound doesn't work in this era. Holly can not coach in this era. All that talent going down the toilet because it isn't being developed. You think Im wrong..name me one recruit Tenn has coming in in the next 2 years????? Answer none zero nothing all of the above.

SC won by 6 they aint no top 4 team. ND is 2 Ohio St MD and Baylor would be tuff for SC to beat.

The Gamecocks already beat Ohio State.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
OSU is not the same team that So Carolina beat and UConn destroyed. They are playing much better team ball even though Mitchell and Alston are getting their points. They are a dangerous team and I'm not sure So Carolina can score enough points to beat them again.

The Gamecocks already beat Ohio State.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even though the Lady Vols have 6 conference losses they could still end up as one of the Top 4 Seeds and get a 2 round by in the SEC tournament. It will probably come down to tie breaking procedure as to which team is the 4th seed. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Lady Vols in the Championship Game. While unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised to see So Carolina lose the SEC Tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom