Tenn loses to worst of SEC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tenn loses to worst of SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do not care how Tennessee’s loss affects Connecticut, the upcoming game will take care of itself. The NCAA tournament seeding will take care of itself. All I care about is that Tennessee lost to as lowly an SEC team as can be. I take pleasure in the pain of the sanctimonious volunteer fanbase - which is rather hateful toward the UCONN program and fan base. EVERY Tennessee loss is a good loss in my book.
if Tennesse beats UConn you may remember the loss to Auburn, but it won't even be a distant memory to their fan base........

Reaction Score
Who you callin old?

By BY WCBB standards I’m quite young! I’m not even eligible for social security.
My H. S. Latin teacher, would enjoy this conversation! " I came, I saw,
I conquered " has been freely rendered as " a piece of cake". Plutarch
reported (somewhere) that Julius Caesar uttered this phrase in his
reporting his victory in 47 B.C. over Pharnaces, king of Pontus.
So , to continue... , was the UCONN victory over DePaul a
demonstration: Q.E.D. ?? or would you prefer:Q.E.F ?? Vade in Pace!
Zarathustra

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tennessee is an interesting team. playing very much according to the Book of Pat: defense and rebounding. This team lacks the elite (offensive) talent that Pat's team typically had but it's a team that is very difficult to score against in the half-court and often dominates the boards at both ends. Back in the day Chris Dailey would often say that Tennessee's first shot on offense wouldn't beat you, it was the second or third shot off of offensive rebounds that would beat you. That is true of this year's version of the Vols.

Burrell is the best offensive player but she still doesn't look like right after missing games for an injury. She looks fine physically but she's struggling to find chemistry on the court with Horston. Fixing that will be important for a team that can sometimes be challenged to score. Horston is still an enigma. It's been said on some broadcasts that this has been a breakout season for her which I suppose is true. Her FGA and scoring have increased. Part of that is necessity given the absence of Burrell; she's taking a lot more shots than in the previous 2 seasons when Rennia Davis led the way. Horston's shooting %s this year (37/25) match her career numbers. Her turnover issues haven't really improved and her assist numbers are down. She is a tremendous rebounder and has shown the ability to make big shots late in games.

Should be a fun one next Sunday.

Reaction Score
In TN's defense, this is their first game after losing Green to an injury, and we know how that goes.
ON Volnation it was said that the players were emotional over the loss of Green, a backup post.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee beats UConn? DePaul had a better chance.
I certainly hope you're right, but the Tennesse team I've seen so far this year (Auburn game aside) is a far more resilient team than the ones Holly coached that would fold like a cheap suit...........I expect a very competitive game but certainly wouldn't complain about a decisive UConn win.....

Reaction Score
Who? Really who?
I'm not sure if you all are minimizing the loss of Green, but it's a significant one. She was the only proven backup for Tamari Key. Green was quite productive in her minutes on offense and defense, and allowed Key to either get some rest or weather out some foul trouble. Now that's gone, and there's only an undersized freshman and a non-Div1 caliber upperclassman to back her up. Key cannot come out of the game without there being a huge hit to post productivity on both ends of the court. She was much more tentative on defense last night, and that was probably the easiest that any team has scored inside vs. Tennessee all season. I figure she will find that balance at some point so she can continue to anchor the Tennessee defense without putting herself at risk for foul trouble.

Tennessee still should have beaten Auburn, but the loss of Green will make things more difficult for Tennessee down the stretch.

Reaction Score
hey injuries are part of the game.... to state the obvious..... we have 4 losses this season..... have you seen our injuries? we will not pout though..... we have games to play!!!! Yes Green is a backup post player.... doesnt even start.... the fact that her absence is potential crippler to the LV fortunes is .... or should be an overstatement.....

earlier this season, I saw Mizzou beat South Carolina without its best player and leading scorer Blackwell.... Didnt see any fright in their eyes....

going into our matchup.... no green oh well no paige oh well we will still play the game

Reaction Score
ON Volnation it was said that the players were emotional over the loss of Green, a backup post.
In all fairness...she's their friend and not a backup post. Having said that...when they were winning, they weren't emotional regarding Rae? TN has been walking a fine line all year and they would never admit it, but they overlooked Auburn.

Reaction Score
hey injuries are part of the game.... to state the obvious..... we have 4 losses this season..... have you seen our injuries? we will not pout though..... we have games to play!!!! Yes Green is a backup post player.... doesnt even start.... the fact that her absence is potential crippler to the LV fortunes is .... or should be an overstatement.....

earlier this season, I saw Mizzou beat South Carolina without its best player and leading scorer Blackwell.... Didnt see any fright in their eyes....

going into our matchup.... no green oh well no paige oh well we will still play the game
Look back at posts here and you'll see quite a few posters talking about how much the loss of Griffin (a backup, doesn't even start) hurt them vs. SC. After the GA Tech game, same was said about Muhl (a backup, doesn't even start). Maybe those were overstatements as well?

The Tenn-UConn game is a week away. Hopefully there will be no new injuries for either team and both will be ready to play the game with the players they have available. May the best team win.

Reaction Score
Look back at posts here and you'll see quite a few posters talking about how much the loss of Griffin (a backup, doesn't even start) hurt them vs. SC. After the GA Tech game, same was said about Muhl (a backup, doesn't even start). Maybe those were overstatements as well?

The Tenn-UConn game is a week away. Hopefully there will be no new injuries for either team and both will be ready to play the game with the players they have available. May the best team win.
Point taken. @amb3096 , if you’re a Vol fan, you are a rarity. Common sense and living in todays basketball world not yesteryear.

Reaction Score

yeah maybe fair..... but cutting to the chase, Lady Vol nation is good at looking for reasons they do not win....

and then amplify and accentuate those reasons.....

a lot of talk ALWAYS about the officiating, or injuries or any number of other excuses.

Just my experience as an observer

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is more amazing every day that Uconn had a decade long run without losing to an unranked team - most top 10 WCBB teams are just happy if they get through a single season without losing to one. 8 of the top 12 ranked teams have already lost to an unranked team this year.

Oh and those 2 Uconn losses are now ranked 14 and 19, similar to the previous unranked winning team - St Johns in 2012 which was ranked #14 by the end of 2012.
OT but this post got me thinking ... (dangerous I know!)

On top of the unranked streak, Uconn also had a streak of not losing to a team ranked outside the AP top 10 that started after the St. Johns lost on 2/18/2012 and lasted until last year's loss to #19 Arkansas 1/28/2021. We compounded that black mark by losing to #11 Arizona in the final four. Twenty one days short of nine years. Pretty cool, and no one noticed it.

Reaction Score

Of course Muhl has started every game at Uconn that she has not been injured for but obviously she has replaced Williams and Ono as the favorite player to be “hated” on by all the omniscient armchair coaches.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
yeah maybe fair..... but cutting to the chase, Lady Vol nation is good at looking for reasons they do not win....

and then amplify and accentuate those reasons.....

a lot of talk ALWAYS about the officiating, or injuries or any number of other excuses.

Just my experience as an observer
We did/do the same after a loss, especially the complaining about refs. We even complain about the refs when we win. VolNation is a mirror to the Boneyard. We just like the blue better than orange.

I’m not sure why you’re going after @amb3096 . There are many LV fans that support their team but are, at the same time, realists and this poster is one. I’d rather not chase him off, please

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Continue? It was 1 game. They’re still a top 5/6 team , and will be favored against UConn.
Maybe/maybe not. Tennessee still has Arkansas and @ Florida left before the Huskies. They could very well lose both. It’s basically a UConn home game, and I’d be willing to bet Evina will be ready to go. The last two games vs Tennessee she has been very good. Along with the return of Fudd and my personal pick for FOY, Caroline Ducharme..it will be an uphill climb for Tennessee. Also, Massey has UCONN favored to win…

It’s also not been just one game. Tennessee has started out slow against a number of teams and have had to fight their way back.

My prediction, and you can take this with a grain of salt, is that Tennessee will struggle against UConn early and get down at least 10-15 points by halftime. I can see Tennessee cutting the lead back down to single digits, but in the end just to much offense from UConn.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We did/do the same after a loss, especially the complaining about refs. We even complain about the refs when we win. VolNation is a mirror to the Boneyard. We just like the blue better than orange.
The outsized outrage over Aneesah Morrow in the post-DePaul discussion really drove home this point for me. Some went so far as to call her a "dirty" player—a true insult to the actual dirty players we all know, who shall remain unnamed.

There are a number of constants on the Boneyard, but none are constant than the complaints over allegedly unfair officiating.

Reaction Score
Maybe/maybe not. Tennessee still has Arkansas and @ Florida left before the Huskies. They could very well lose both. It’s basically a UConn home game, and I’d be willing to bet Evina will be ready to go. The last two games vs Tennessee she has been very good. Along with the return of Fudd and my personal pick for FOY, Caroline Ducharme..it will be an uphill climb for Tennessee. Also, Massey has UCONN favored to win…

It’s also not been just one game. Tennessee has started out slow against a number of teams and have had to fight their way back.

My prediction, and you can take this with a grain of salt, is that Tennessee will struggle against UConn early and get down at least 10-15 points by halftime. I can see Tennessee cutting the lead back down to single digits, but in the end just to much offense from UConn.

IMO, the game comes down to if Key can stay on the court for 30+ minutes, if UConn can hit their threes, and if Tennessee can keep their TOs under control. UConn cannot stay with Tennessee on the boards, and Tennessee (Auburn notwithstanding) makes it very hard to score on anything other than fast breaks (where limiting TOs is key). If Key is patrolling the paint and UConn isn't able to get good looks at the three, you will have a hard time scoring against their halfcourt defense, and you won't get a lot of 2nd chance opportunities.

If Key gets in foul trouble early, then yes...I don't think Tennessee will be able to slow down UConn's offense and won't be able to put points on the board themselves. My prediction is that Tennessee will win a close game, but they are going to be pretty evenly matched and I wouldn't be surprised if it went either way. The ARkansas game will be good preparation for them because they have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as UConn.

Reaction Score
I think that Green is a much bigger loss to Tennessee than statistics show. I watched several Tennessee games in which Key was in foul trouble. Green would come in and settle the team down. She always seemed to have an immediate effect on team chemistry and came up with timely rebounds or points. She seemed to bring confidence and relieve panic.

I recall the 101st game of UCONN's 111 game win streak. Kia Nurse had aggravated a sprained ankle in the win over South Carolina and was out. We stlll had Collier, KLS, Gabby, Saniya, and Crystal, but struggled to beat Tulane, surviving a last second shot to tie the game. It takes some time to make up for the loss of a key player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom