TENN - AUBURN SEC Tourney | Page 4 | The Boneyard

TENN - AUBURN SEC Tourney

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I just saw this comment by CHW on the post game

"Warlick 'exhausted' after exciting victory vs. Auburn" which really struck my funny bone.

The IND coach after their 4OT game was very composed and did not act like a teenager on a sugar high as she tries to figure out how
to get her team prepared for MD (a 6:30 game).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was speaking of Rennia Davis.

I thought that may be the case. She is the most impressive of the rookie class, I agree and she may well develop into a top player but "superstar" ?. That 3pt shot was a miracle after all as she admitted in the post game interview. I actually thought the most impressive players were Meme Jackson who seems to have had a rebirth and a surprisingly engaged Mercedes Russell who played like a 6' 6" player getting her nose dirty and dominating on the boards. I do hope Nared's injury is not too severe and she can play out her senior season.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I have news for you. Superstars are not made against a 10 seed in the first round of a conference tournament. Nor are superstars made by lucky banked-in 3-pointers.
I refer to her overall game and talent. She had 16 points this game. She can and will be better player next year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I thought that may be the case. She is the most impressive of the rookie class, I agree and she may well develop into a top player but "superstar" ?. That 3pt shot was a miracle after all as she admitted in the post game interview. I actually thought the most impressive players were Meme Jackson who seems to have had a rebirth and a surprisingly engaged Mercedes Russell who played like a 6' 6" player getting her nose dirty and dominating on the boards. I do hope Nared's injury is not too severe and she can play out her senior season.
Yes I sure hope regardless of how the SECT plays out. She will at least be able to play in NCAAT.

Reaction Score
Was Russell engaged when she barely touched the ball in the 2nd half engaged would be clearing space and demanding the ball and dominate like she should

Reaction Score
I love hating on Tennessee just as much as the next guy, but their resume (which is what matters for seeding) is clearly top 16. "Eye test" is just a convenient cover word for people to inject their personal bias at the expense of objective analysis.

Feel free to shun the RPI, but Tennessee is also 11th in Massey and 10th in Sagarin.
I'm injecting my personal bias, wasn't trying to inject a convenient word. I stated it was "my opinion". I stand by my view.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh when the announcers said that Auburn had gotten over the fear of seeing Tennessee on the uniform, as it's something players feel when playing a stories program like UConn or Tennessee. Does Tennessee on the uniform strike fear into the heart of any opposing players anymore? Are there any college players old enough to remember?

If I was speaking on behalf of UConn, I would be offended that Tenn and UConn were mentioned in the same breath. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was Russell engaged when she barely touched the ball in the 2nd half engaged would be clearing space and demanding the ball and dominate like she should

That was my sense although I admit, I was switching between this game and the 4OT IND/MSU game which dominated my time over the TN / Auburn game in the second half.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone know about Jaimie Nared? She was in the corridor getting her knee worked on during the 4th period and stood to watch the last 5 minutes from the tunnel
After seeing Nared fall and from her reaction afterwards, her injury has all the indications of a hip pointer. In all likelihood, it will be considerably more painful today than it was last night. Hip pointers can be extremely debilitating as recovery can be very slow, taking several weeks or more to heel. I would not be surprised if Nared is done for the SEC tournament, and her status for the NCAA's could be doubtful.

While the Lady Vols are not expected to go deep into the tournament, without their best player, it's hard to see them going very far at all.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
SC played Tennessee twice without Wilson. Now Tennessee may have to play SC without Nared. If Wilson plays, I can't see Tennessee winning a third time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, it both Nared and Wilson are out, who wins?. I think TN can handle Nared's loss better than SC can handle Wilson's.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
th
Brilliant move. Surely check ,if not checkmate!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
That's the advantage in stinking to high heaven. It sets the bar really low for the following year.
Like a dead skunk in the middle of the road? ;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have news for you. Superstars are not made against a 10 seed in the first round of a conference tournament. Nor are superstars made by lucky banked-in 3-pointers.
Especially if there is no defender within 6 feet of you when they catch the ball...
I like how the announcer stated that Davis showed no emotion when the shot went in, well her posturing was good enough.

Reaction Score
I was speaking of Rennia Davis.
I'm glad you clarified that. Considering the same was said of Simmons, Graves, DeShields, etc., it could have been almost anyone in orange.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Vols shot 20-24 FT; Tigers shot 4-5. Quite a significant disparity. Auburn is a very physical defensive team, but really?:rolleyes:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
She was engaged because of all the free throws she got to shoot...why work hard if the refs are constantly handing you the ball. The disparity in fouls was outrageous to me. I know this happens for UConn, but that is because we actually know how to play defense and not foul, which is not the case for most other teams...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Vols shot 20-24 FT; Tigers shot 4-5. Quite a significant disparity. Auburn is a very physical defensive team, but really?:rolleyes:
Sorry @Bama fan, I was typing the exact same thing when you posted your comment...:eek:

Reaction Score
Phil Fulmer (our new AD) is a classic “good ole boy.” He has had a long term friendship, first with Pat, but also with Holly. As long as the team performs reasonably in the conference, wins 20 or so games, and makes a Sweet 16/Elite 8 appearance regularly, I think she stays in place for the remaining two years of her contract. Fulmer attends our games and openly expresses support for Holly and her team but, frankly, his main focus right now is on reviving the football program. I can tell you we have a lot of disappointed/unhappy fans here in K-town. Stay tuned!

Thank you for your take on it.... Not to pretend to be the all knowing one, but that is what I thought..... I know Fulmer places a high stock on loyalty, and of course being a Vol being part and parcel of that.... I hope for your sake Fulmer conducts a thorough search when the time comes.... Watching CHW these last few years makes one appreciate Pat all the more.... her extreme will to win.... and her love for her players while at the same time pushing them to performance levels they themselves did not think were possible.... I think Holly is too accepting of what her kids want to give her.... if players did not go all out for Pat, they would be on the bench. Hope you do well today vs Gamecocks.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom