TENN - AUBURN SEC Tourney | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TENN - AUBURN SEC Tourney

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That doesn't mean anything. Vertgio is a funny thing that usually doesn't go away that fast. They better be real sure she's OK because risking it.
Yes her health is the most important thing.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has been shameful for some time now.... it continues to amaze me..... Auburn brings to the battle some hard working scrappy but not talented players.... Unique Thompson was #74 in her class.... Jessica Jones was #92.... everyone else was an also ran.....

They lose to Missouri.... who can boast of only one top 100 player on their entire roster....

I think it is fair to say that the Lady Vols have neither the coaching nor the grit to go deep into the tournament.... it has been many years since they have mattered.... television tries to prop them up.... but the South Carolinas the Mississippi States the LSUs and the Missouris are blowing past them even in their own conference.... even though their roster is full of all star talent..... but all stars in high school does not mean all stars in Knoxville.... not trying to bust on them.... they are just a sorry exhibition of basketball

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I had to laugh when the announcers said that Auburn had gotten over the fear of seeing Tennessee on the uniform, as it's something players feel when playing a stories program like UConn or Tennessee. Does Tennessee on the uniform strike fear into the heart of any opposing players anymore? Are there any college players old enough to remember?

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Tennessee vs Auburn game, and how is that Tennessee (7 seed in SEC Tournament) is a TOP 16 seed?

Tenn has wins over Marquette, Texas, Stanford, Georgia, Texas A&M, and a Wilson-less SC (2x). They have 1 bad loss: Alabama.

If you can find 16 teams with a stronger resume than that, I'd love to hear them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tennessee doing everything they can to make a dreadful Auburn team look like they belong in the top 10... Auburn is 14-14 overall and was 5-11 in their league.
Seriously, I don't care what the scoreboard said at the end of the game, Tennessee gets a big fat L for being a bunch of lollygaggers.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This year is already better than last year. I sure hope Nared is alright.
That's the advantage in stinking to high heaven. It sets the bar really low for the following year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Dawn confirmed its hour to hour. Says A'ja will have to be full go in shoot around to be cleared.
I swear, if A'ja doesn't play tomorrow and SC loses to TN for the 3rd time, they are dead to me :mad:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Anyone know about Jaimie Nared? She was in the corridor getting her knee worked on during the 4th period and stood to watch the last 5 minutes from the tunnel

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Did anyone else hear the announcer say that no team pressures the ball like Auburn, "they just swarm at you". They must not know about the UConn/USF game:confused:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Thanks Orangutan

Reaction Score
I swear, if A'ja doesn't play tomorrow and SC loses to TN for the 3rd time, they are dead to me :mad:

There hopefuls she plays. She was running up and down at practice and shooting so that's a good sign.

Reaction Score
no matter how tough Auburns defense was.... it is fair to say that at conference record 5-11, they should have been beaten handily by Tennessee....

When is last time you saw Lady Vols play with toughness and will to win? The bar is too low for them.

Reaction Score
The No. 7 SEC Tournament seed for Tennessee is a bit misleading. The regular season was unusually tight with Nos. 2. and 3. (South Carolina and Georgia) finishing at 11-4 and Tennessee at No. 4 in the regular season at 10-5. Missouri, Tamu, and LSU (Nos. 5., 6., and 7.) also finished at 10-5). If Tennessee had not lost to Alabama we would have jumped South Carolina and Georgia (both of whom we beat in the regular season), giving Tennessee a second place finish in both the regular season AND the tournament. That’s how tight numbers 2. through 7. were.
SEC Regular season standings:
2018 SEC Women's Basketball Standings

Plebe

Reaction Score
The No. 7 SEC Tournament seed for Tennessee is a bit misleading. The regular season was unusually tight with Nos. 2. and 3. (South Carolina and Georgia) finishing at 11-4 and Tennessee at No. 4 in the regular season at 10-5. Missouri, Tamu, and LSU (Nos. 5., 6., and 7.) also finished at 10-5). If Tennessee had not lost to Alabama we would have jumped South Carolina and Georgia (both of whom we beat in the regular season), giving Tennessee a second place finish in both the regular season AND the tournament. That’s how tight numbers 2. through 7. were.

I’ll say it’s misleading. Today they played like they should have been seeded 9 or 10.

Reaction Score
But you did lose to Alabama - FOUR straight times, so it's hard to say it was a fluke. $%^&*##?????

How can you lose to Alabama and feel you deserve any higher seed?

Reaction Score
Tenn has wins over Marquette, Texas, Stanford, Georgia, Texas A&M, and a Wilson-less SC (2x). They have 1 bad loss: Alabama.

If you can find 16 teams with a stronger resume than that, I'd love to hear them.
6 of those teams are in the PAC12, 6 or more in the SEC, 6 or more in the ACC, UCONN, Baylor, that's 18 right there without trying. I don't buy into the RPI, it is supremely flawed system to define a team's "resume". My statement is point-in-time, based upon the "eye test", "smell test", whatever you want to call it--OK, my opinion. Right now, Tennessee is not a TOP 16 team. I believe that will become abundantly clear to everyone, if not already, come NCAA Tournament time.

Plebe

Reaction Score
6 of those teams are in the PAC12, 6 or more in the SEC, 6 or more in the ACC, UCONN, Baylor, that's 18 right there without trying. I don't buy into the RPI, it is supremely flawed system to define a team's "resume". My statement is point-in-time, based upon the "eye test", "smell test", whatever you want to call it--OK, my opinion. Right now, Tennessee is not a TOP 16 team. I believe that will become abundantly clear to everyone, if not already, come NCAA Tournament time.
I love hating on Tennessee just as much as the next guy, but their resume (which is what matters for seeding) is clearly top 16. "Eye test" is just a convenient cover word for people to inject their personal bias at the expense of objective analysis.

Feel free to shun the RPI, but Tennessee is also 11th in Massey and 10th in Sagarin.

Reaction Score

Oh Volup1 yes you are right.... misleading... Tenn could have been higher... it was close those positions.... but you also got fortunate with Wilson gone for both games....

I have just not seen tight, low turnover, hustle basketball from Lady Vols in a long time.... I presume even fan like you must be frustrated......

What do you think about the athletic dept? Will they pay attention to WCBB, or is it all hands on deck for football?

Reaction Score
Oh Volup1 yes you are right.... misleading... Tenn could have been higher... it was close those positions.... but you also got fortunate with Wilson gone for both games....

I have just not seen tight, low turnover, hustle basketball from Lady Vols in a long time.... I presume even fan like you must be frustrated.

What do you think about the athletic dept? Will they pay attention to WCBB, or is it all hands on deck for football?

Phil Fulmer (our new AD) is a classic “good ole boy.” He has had a long term friendship, first with Pat, but also with Holly. As long as the team performs reasonably in the conference, wins 20 or so games, and makes a Sweet 16/Elite 8 appearance regularly, I think she stays in place for the remaining two years of her contract. Fulmer attends our games and openly expresses support for Holly and her team but, frankly, his main focus right now is on reviving the football program. I can tell you we have a lot of disappointed/unhappy fans here in K-town. Stay tuned!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Putting it very simply, Tenn has ALOT of talent and is able to play with the elite and be respectable. IMHO they play to the level of the competition and when they NEED to play well during a game with lesser talent, they may not be able to pull it together, thereby getting beat by Alabama etc. They seem to "get up" for the better teams and look pretty good. They're still young women (and I emphasize young) and will "get away" with what ever the coach let's them get away with. Holly does NOT demand much at all and then can't figure out why they get beat by lesser teams. You can see it in her (Holly's) post pressers. She can't figure it out either. She knows what talent she has on her team and has no clue how to get them to play to their ability. As has been voiced by others, I hope Holly continues to coach for many years. I'm loving it.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee may have found its next superstar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom