Temple Post game thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple Post game thoughts

Reaction Score
In his on court interview Geno said the travel had made the week hard or words to that effect and getting home would be good for the team. They've had tough road stints, but I didn't think this was one.
Uconn had a small team run the legs of Uconn tired and played tough 1/2 court defense, had quick hands, weren't afraid to foul to stop scoring (european tactic) against Uconn. One or 3 of their players were pretty talented offensively, their ability to see the court was evident. This wasn't the OLD Temple--

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No the way to get more playing time is to play great defense and rebound and try to score when you can.

Yes she needs to get better at FTs, but Shooting 100% on FTs does you no good if you stink at everything else and aren’t good enough to play.
Fair enough. I think she lacks the muscle mass to bang with other bigs. I'm not sure their is much she can do about that right now, except to keep chugging.

Reaction Score
I'm not Geno's greatest supporter, unfortunately, I believe he is ONLY human with the warts and foibles of all of us. Nowhere near perfect.
Having said that: I am pleased with the way he is handling this adversity and it is just that. He is bringing Frosh along, Sophs along, reteaching Juniors, and working with 3 very tried Starters. Tired wears on a person mentally and physically. Geno, with what he is working with and the louzy time frame is doing more than well---
If you are willing to cheer him in the good time why not stand with him in these less than perfect time? When he does well and not win by 50--isn't it a win just the same? Ragged play is not always dictated by Geno sometimes other teams play pretty rugged defense and shoot well at home?
This is the time to Cheer him--not jeer him.. He needs the BY help.

Reaction Score
Olivia IS learning and well. The free throws don't bother me. What's important is she is drawing them rather than creating them. She holds her own under the basket, not perfect---but how many actual non clean up minutes has she played? You have been right about her since the start---a talent with intelligence.

watching her high school videos she actually has a number of good offensive moves including a nice mid range jump shot..................we have only seen a small portion of what she has to offer offensively.............

Reaction Score
4. Need DavidNaples to determine if ONO's free throw attempts for the minutes she has played is some kind of record. 11 today in less than 15 minutes.

She must shoot better than 5 for 11, 45% does not cut it
For a superstar, she looks close to hopeless at the free throw line. She has thrown up air balls and once hit the backboard about 18 clean inches to the right of the rim. Maybe she needs glasses? I guess she has not yet grown into her body. Good too see her get extensive court time, though.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I didn't really mean it that literally.
You have reached a dangerously high plateau when fellow posters begin to believe that you mean what you write! Hope you can maintain your balance! ;)

Reaction Score
I am sure that when he gets around to it, Kib will award Badass honors to Napheesa for this game, and I agree with him in advance. But what I left the game feeling best about, unlike many, is that, little by little, Olivia is responding to good coaching in tangible ways. At this point, I am indifferent to her inconsistent free throw shooting. She's a very raw talent, and a lot of the observable deficiencies will work themselves out in time. What pleases me is that unlike early in the season, when timidity was plaguing her performance, she is beginning to play up to her size, beginning to get more aggressive rebounding, playing with her hands held high on both ends. She started the season like a tall player who played small, shooting from chest level instead of using her natural height advantage. It has not, and will not, change all at once, but I see multiple signs that the coaching staff is succeeding with her. She may never become the physical presence that Tina Charles became, but we all remember what a timid and unaggressive "sweetheart" Tina was before the staff turned her into a beast for her Junior and Senior years. I'm beginning to see signs that we may be lucky enough to see a similar arc of development for ONO!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I think she lacks the muscle mass to bang with other bigs. I'm not sure their is much she can do about that right now, except to keep chugging.
The banging with the bigs will tire her legs and, yes, affect her free throw shooting. As Olde Coach documented so well years ago, good free throw shooting starts in the legs

I couldn’t be happier for Liv. Work on the game and the free throws will come

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For a superstar, she looks close to hopeless at the free throw line. She has thrown up air balls and once hit the backboard about 18 clean inches to the right of the rim. Maybe she needs glasses? I guess she has not yet grown into her body. Good too see her get extensive court time, though.
She is not a superstar. Where did that come from? She is a freshman learning the UConn system and once she learns it she will more than likely become a superstar. How much her free throw shooting improves remains to be seen but I believe it will be a lot better than it is now.

Reaction Score
You were right about the rugged games from here on out..
On shooting 1000's of FT? Geno --has often spoken of that one: Why shoot 1000's it only repeats bad shooting.(per Geno)
Olivia is actually a good FT shooter--she normally drills ONE cleanly. Confidence is the common issue with her CW, Coombs etc--more time, more games and she'll be good to go. This year??
My take is she played a very good game for a Frosh Big--she's no Tina, no Steff, no Stewie--if we wait her name may be among them. She drew 11 fouls (or more) and she had what 2 fouls?? That's success. Success does not come as a boy cutting a tree next day George Washington--that took 50 year--ONO will be OLIVIA Nelson Ododa this year..
Let's not forget history.... TCharles spent 2 years in the dog house and Stef could barely run the floor her freshman year without needing an inhaler. They didn't start the amazing players they became.....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Temple has a lot of good basketball players. Can't imagine why their record this year is so bad.
I'm losing count of the number of times this season I've had the exact same thought about UConn's opponent.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I've seen airballs before, but hers is the only free throw I've ever seen that drew no iron by going wide right and hitting the backboard (that wasn't missed purposely).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
In his on court interview Geno said the travel had made the week hard or words to that effect and getting home would be good for the team. They've had tough road stints, but I didn't think this was one.
It's the jet lag and missing their friends. Add to that New Orleans and Philly and the lousy food:confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe 10 points were made and Pheesa having 30pts, 12rebs, 5ast weren't even mentioned. This is what some of us reference when we say proper recognition is rarely given to her. She's about to score 2,000 points and have 1,000 rebounds (barring injury).
If fairness, some of us, even when pointing out that recognition have also commented that Pheesa has a no fuss, effortless, quite efficiency to her game. It's been like that for 4 years now and was also that way in her Sophomore AA season.

It is precisely because you have to look at the numbers because so much of Collier's game is understated, quiet, & efficient. When Gabby soars for a rebound or KLS splashes a three ball you remember it because it momentarily takes your breath away. Collier is capable of taking your breath away but mostly she beats you and hardly cracks a smile or breaks a sweat. Collier is the Easy Button of WCBB.

Reaction Score
I've seen airballs before, but hers is the only free throw I've ever seen that drew no iron by going wide right and hitting the backboard (that wasn't missed purposely).

The problem with intelligent players like Olivia is they OVER think everything and doesn't just go with the flow. She's a very talented, intelligent, young woman--I won't fret if she misses the rim--look at Dangers shot from the 3 --missed everything from her normal range--defecation occurs.
Olivia was recruited as a Number One recruit--that ain't chicken soup.
Every game she playes she gets better at understanding the Div one game--she knows WBB, she's a number one, so she has to learn the Geno/Div one game. Patience ---you'll love what you see.

Reaction Score
The banging with the bigs will tire her legs and, yes, affect her free throw shooting. As Olde Coach documented so well years ago, good free throw shooting starts in the legs

I couldn’t be happier for Liv. Work on the game and the free throws will come
Good over all shooting begins with the legs----tired legs miss the rim, usually short shots.
Patience--and well all be thrilled.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Without the "normal" of school and hotels "at home" I guess "on the road" has become a wearying blur to our team. I hope Geno will work hard in the future to avoid the travel burdens of this past semester.

Reaction Score
Good over all shooting begins with the legs----tired legs miss the rim, usually short shots.
Patience--and well all be thrilled.
I understand. But it is a bit difficult to see why Olivia should have tired legs. She is young and athletic. She has been working out like mad ( I'm sure ) in UCONN's program.....to build strength and conditioning. Her playing time is minimal. From whence comes the wear and tear? I agree, however, that she will be great someday. But foul shooting should surface as an early ability. I think it is more nerves. She is not yet comfortable in the spotlight? Hard to believe given her HS accolades.

Reaction Score
the fact that she usually misses the first foul shot badly and then often makes the second one clearly says it's more of a concentration issue then a physical one...she's still got the jitters and hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game.....she'll figure it out...she actually has pretty good touch for a big, I would be surprised if she shot less then 70% from the line in the next three years
Agreed. The fact that she's completely missed the rim a couple of times sounds like the Heebie jeebies. The fact that she collects 11 free throws in such a short time is the overriding factor and also ensures she'll get plenty of game time practice shooting free throws

Reaction Score
Agreed. The fact that she's completely missed the rim a couple of times sounds like the Heebie jeebies. The fact that she collects 11 free throws in such a short time is the overriding factor and also ensures she'll get plenty of game time practice shooting free throws

having a real low post presence that gets easy baskets and attracts fouls can't be underestimated...............ONO is a major part of the future at UConn

Reaction Score
Olivia IS learning and well. The free throws don't bother me. What's important is she is drawing them rather than creating them. She holds her own under the basket, not perfect---but how many actual non clean up minutes has she played? You have been right about her since the start---a talent with intelligence.
Wonder who is the "Big" coach this year, CD? Predict big time career for ONO but don't understand why she typically boxes out and plays defense solely with her arms. Understand she is relatively thin, but most centers use their legs and core to move the opposition. Refs don't see it and usually more effective.

Reaction Score
watching her high school videos she actually has a number of good offensive moves including a nice mid range jump shot...we have only seen a small portion of what she has to offer offensively...
Agree. If she would gain confidence with one good move under the basket, could likely score an extra 4-8 points a game (more if that foul shot would go in).

Reaction Score
Technical terms blow my mind. However, I believe you are right she does exhibit all the symptoms of "Heebie-Jeebies"
I understand. But it is a bit difficult to see why Olivia should have tired legs. She is young and athletic. She has been working out like mad ( I'm sure ) in UCONN's program.....to build strength and conditioning. Her playing time is minimal. From whence comes the wear and tear? I agree, however, that she will be great someday. But foul shooting should surface as an early ability. I think it is more nerves. She is not yet comfortable in the spotlight? Hard to believe given her HS accolades.
As long as ONO keeps collecting more fouls than she commits is a big asset. She (ONO) is moving a lot on offense and defense--too much I would think, that's tiring. I'd like to see her do the Stokes defense and guard the basket on defense, less movement, less tiring. She seems to wander too far afield--maybe it's Geno's defensive plan????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom