Temple Post game thoughts | The Boneyard

Temple Post game thoughts

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
1. If Lou and CW shoot decently, UCONN scores over a hundred.

2. 24 and 9 for Crystal Dangerfield is terrific. O turnovers is ridiculous. The full court layup to end the half makes the season highlight tape.

3. Unusual to see the team get beat down the floor in transition as often as it happened today.

4. Need DavidNaples to determine if ONO's free throw attempts for the minutes she has played is some kind of record. 11 today in less than 15 minutes.

5. Basketball has probably always come easy for CW. You can see that she is stressed. She works too hard and is too talented for this funk to last.

6. Winning, no one getting hurt and everybody getting a little bit of time trumps any negatives.

7. Teams are crowding Lou before she uses her dribble then collapse on her once she penetrates. She's adjusted to everything else, she'll figure this out.

8. Understandable but weird seeing Crystal Dangerfield shoot the technicals.

9. Is it my imagination or does this team get fewer looks in transition than in past years.

10. 16-1, #2 in the nation, heading home and don't have to be coached by Holly Warlick. Life is good in Husky land.

Reaction Score
4. Need DavidNaples to determine if ONO's free throw attempts for the minutes she has played is some kind of record. 11 today in less than 15 minutes.

She must shoot better than 5 for 11, 45% does not cut it

Reaction Score

the fact that she usually misses the first foul shot badly and then often makes the second one clearly says it's more of a concentration issue then a physical one..................she's still got the jitters and hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game...............she'll figure it out.............she actually has pretty good touch for a big, I would be surprised if she shot less then 70% from the line in the next three years

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Would've been 4-11 if she hadn't gotten a second chance on that lane violation.

No real sugar coating it, her FTs are a hot mess. Time for her coaches to earn their pay with her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn appears to be suffering from a virus known as the Shooters Flu. It’s been making its way through the team pretty much throughout the month of January. Last game everyone on the team had it except for Megan. Today Pheesa & Crystal showed signs of recovery, but Megan had a bit of a relapse joining Lou & Christyn.

As Victor64 points out, a little better shooting and UConn puts up triple digits, winning by 30+. So this shooting flu that the Huskies are suffering from is a glass half empty or half full dilemma.

If everyone on the Huskies shoots the ball like we know they’re capable of, they can defeat anyone in the country. But if 3-4 starters are laying bricks, upcoming games vs Louisville & SC could be problematic.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm actually more concerned about the defense than the offense. I don't have the stats handy, but I'm just accustomed to seeing UConn opponents commit more turnovers and struggle more to score than they are this year. Shooting slumps will happen, but the defense should not be slumping.

Reaction Score

2. 24 and 9 for Crystal Dangerfield is terrific. O turnovers is ridiculous. The full court layup to end the half makes the season highlight tape.

3. Unusual to see the team get beat down the floor in transition as often as it happened today.

5. Basketball has probably always come easy for CW. You can see that she is stressed. She works too hard and is too talented for this funk to last.

6. Winning, no one getting hurt and everybody getting a little bit of time trumps any negatives.

7. Teams are crowding Lou before she uses her dribble then collapse on her once she penetrates. She's adjusted to everything else, she'll figure this out.

9. Is it my imagination or does this team get fewer looks in transition than in past years.

10. 16-1, #2 in the nation, heading home and don't have to be coached by Holly Warlick. Life is good in Husky land.
It's hard to believe 10 points were made and Pheesa having 30pts, 12rebs, 5ast weren't even mentioned. This is what some of us reference when we say proper recognition is rarely given to her. She's about to score 2,000 points and have 1,000 rebounds (barring injury).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Tulane - Good defense, meh offense
Temple - Good offense, meh defense

Maybe next game they'll put it all together.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Would've been 4-11 if she hadn't gotten a second chance on that lane violation.

No real sugar coating it, her FTs are a hot mess. Time for her coaches to earn their pay with her.

How do we know the coaches have or have not addressed her foul shooting?

Reaction Score

#3 Because their shooting has been inconsistent, they're trying to get more people on the offensive boards and it leaves them vulnerable in transition with only 1 or 2 guards back and 3 trapped inside.
#7 Coaches know UConn isn't passing as well as in the past and the way to clog their offense is have someone in her face. Forces others to make plays which is a problem against good teams.
#9 They do get fewer points in transition. With more rebounders in the past they were able to release at least 1 guard, for instance Nurse, to basket hang for layups. Now they need everybody going to the defensive board.

Reaction Score
the fact that she usually misses the first foul shot badly and then often makes the second one clearly says it's more of a concentration issue then a physical one...she's still got the jitters and hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game.....she'll figure it out...she actually has pretty good touch for a big, I would be surprised if she shot less then 70% from the line in the next three years
I think she could do with some upperclassmen coaching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the fact that she usually misses the first foul shot badly and then often makes the second one clearly says it's more of a concentration issue then a physical one...she's still got the jitters and hasn't adjusted to the speed of the college game.....she'll figure it out...she actually has pretty good touch for a big, I would be surprised if she shot less then 70% from the line in the next three years
Olivia IS learning and well. The free throws don't bother me. What's important is she is drawing them rather than creating them. She holds her own under the basket, not perfect---but how many actual non clean up minutes has she played? You have been right about her since the start---a talent with intelligence.

Reaction Score
If Lou is going to continue to handle the ball as much as she has she's going to have to learn how to protect the ball. She tends to play straight up where her defender and the double team have easy access to swatting the ball away from her. The shooting will straighten itself out in time..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would bet FT shooting is not Genos list of top 3 concerns for Ono.
Maybe but it should be near the top for her. Easy way to inflate the stat line and get more playing time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I didn't really mean it that literally.

Good. The comment seemed out of character for you. I know, its hard to get "humor" and the like on a post.

Reaction Score
Liv’s FT shooting form is actually pretty good. She just needs to shoot a couple thousand FT’s in practice and she’ll get better at it.
You were right about the rugged games from here on out..
On shooting 1000's of FT? Geno --has often spoken of that one: Why shoot 1000's it only repeats bad shooting.(per Geno)
Olivia is actually a good FT shooter--she normally drills ONE cleanly. Confidence is the common issue with her CW, Coombs etc--more time, more games and she'll be good to go. This year??
My take is she played a very good game for a Frosh Big--she's no Tina, no Steff, no Stewie--if we wait her name may be among them. She drew 11 fouls (or more) and she had what 2 fouls?? That's success. Success does not come as a boy cutting a tree next day George Washington--that took 50 year--ONO will be OLIVIA Nelson Ododa this year..

Reaction Score

Box score shows she played 16 minutes today however she did attempt 11 free throws in just 13 minutes vs Seton Hall (Box Score).

Reaction Score
Maybe but it should be near the top for her. Easy way to inflate the stat line and get more playing time.

No the way to get more playing time is to play great defense and rebound and try to score when you can.

Yes she needs to get better at FTs, but Shooting 100% on FTs does you no good if you stink at everything else and aren’t good enough to play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In his on court interview Geno said the travel had made the week hard or words to that effect and getting home would be good for the team. They've had tough road stints, but I didn't think this was one.

Reaction Score
I would bet FT shooting is not Genos list of top 3 concerns for Ono.
She has the range she has the mechanics, a great eye--confidence? I'm more than pleased with her outing today--good defense, helped on offense, didn't screw up much, drew more fouls than she created--that is huge. ONO and Geno had a very successful day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom