Temple Over DePaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple Over DePaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You don't have to imagine it. It happened once, at least for a half, in a national championship game, to a team with Maya Moore and Tina Charles. Twelve points in the first half! I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, they recovered in the second half, and went on to win.
I thought of that. I haven't re-watched that game recently, but even in the first half, I don't remember them missing layups. Stanford was playing very good defense, and they were missing contested shots that they would usually make, but not layups (as I recall). In that respect, it was not like DePaul last night.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what sooo good about Doug, friends with Geno? What has he won, refresh my memory if he has

Reaction Score
they were missing contested shots that they would usually make, but not layups (as I recall). In that respect, it was not like DePaul last night.

You could be right. I don't want to watch it again. At least not the first half.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
what sooo good about Doug, friends with Geno? What has he won, refresh my memory if he has
Actually, you are of course correct, sort of. 600+ games over a longish career. Presumably a couple of C-USA championships - they were the one of the powers during their days there. NCAA invites and generally fairly early exits. Oh, and lost to Vivian for her 800th win - extremely complementary of her post game.

Doug is one of the really good guys in WBB - a DePaul lifer who has lead the WBCA, and a genuinely good coach. Sweet 16's are not out of reach, but if he hasn't gotten further thus far, I don't really expect him to going forward. The issues, ultimately, are probably conference and DePaul, which isn't going to appeal to everyone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But who have they beat besides Syracuse ? They were run out of the gym by UCONN and Baylor.... they shouldnt be ranked at this point.

Their win over Syracuse is a better win than quite a few of the "ranked" teams have.

There are more than a few top-25 teams that UConn and Baylor are capable of running out of the gym.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Excellent win for Temple. Hope this helps vault them to a higher level of recruiting and results! To Tonya!

Side note - at the end of the game, Tonya was sort of yelling at one of her players as they were proceeding to the handshake line, and she literally blew past Doug while he was trying to chat with, and congratulate, her. Anyone else catch that? I wonder what got her so fired up...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the game

Temple was making three's, DePaul wasn't
DePaul got a lot of their first half points from unopposed layups after sharp passes to cutters
That was less available in the 2nd half and their long range game deserted them.

Good coaching by Tanya kept her team together and focused at what they do well.
Another UConn Alum doing great work.

She beat one of the masters with seemingly less talent but more coherent play.

Agree with everything you said. To your points:
Notes:
DePaul outscored Temple in the paint 38-16 which included a 24-6 edge in the first half.(italics are mine)
• DePaul was just 3-of-26 from 3-point range… its 11.5 percent from behind the arc was a season-low.
• Temple had a season-best 11 3-pointers… previous-best was nine which it did twice.

Only one DePaul player hit a three pointer! Coach Bruno started Kelly Campbell, a frosh from NJ's state champions, who usually has a steady three-point stroke, but beginners nerves got the best of her in this game.

Good adjustment by Coach Tanya for sure. Good defense by Temple. But DePaul certainly added to their demise with the shooting display. That should/needs to get better. Campell is a fine player and will get better.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Excellent win for Temple. Hope this helps vault them to a higher level of recruiting and results! To Tonya!

Side note - at the end of the game, Tonya was sort of yelling at one of her players as they were proceeding to the handshake line, and she literally blew past Doug while he was trying to chat with, and congratulate, her. Anyone else catch that? I wonder what got her so fired up...
I saw that, rewinded the tape and couldn't figure out cause DePaul had the ball last and it wasn't a last shot attempt. Went back to Temples last possession, they had to shoot cause of the shot clock. I didn't catch the problem

Reaction Score
Besides Tonya, Temple has an assistant coach you may have heard of: Willnet Crockett.
Willnett! I remember Geno calling her the laziest human he'd ever met. So glad that she survived the trauma.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Willnett! I remember Geno calling her the laziest human he'd ever met. So glad that she survived the trauma.
She only played well in moments when the team really really needed her :cool:, otherwise she figured the other girls deserved to have the accolades. She had some monster moments like in that game against TX in the NCAAs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It was refreshing to see our own (AAC) conference member win a game, especially against a ranked opponent. Too bad it had to happen to Bruno, we like him. If the AAC is to ever begin to change the perception of WCBB about the legitimacy and competitiveness of the conference, its teams are going to have to start winning their OOC games.

Aside from UConn, other teams (conferences) still view the AAC as a 3rd tier conference, comprised of nothing more than mid-majors, most of whom can't play a .500 or better schedule each year. When I check the scores each day in WCBB, I see too many AAC teams losing games they should not be losing, especially when the other team is of equal talent and strength. This needs to change.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It was refreshing to see our own (AAC) conference member win a game, especially against a ranked opponent. Too bad it had to happen to Bruno, we like him. If the AAC is to ever begin to change the perception of WCBB about the legitimacy and competitiveness of the conference, its teams are going to have to start winning their OOC games.

Aside from UConn, other teams (conferences) still view the AAC as a 3rd tier conference, comprised of nothing more than mid-majors, most of whom can't play a .500 or better schedule each year. When I check the scores each day in WCBB, I see too many AAC teams losing games they should not be losing, especially when the other team is of equal talent and strength. This needs to change.
It is changing slowly - this year more teams are winning OOC games that they were losing last year. It is incremental, but the overall trend is in the right direction.

Reaction Score
She was a gamer, not a practicer.
Practice??
upload_2016-12-16_19-19-37.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Temple played us tough last year and trailed by only 40-30 at halftime. We won by 25 following a dominant 4th quarter. We need to be up for them!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I thought of that. I haven't re-watched that game recently, but even in the first half, I don't remember them missing layups. Stanford was playing very good defense, and they were missing contested shots that they would usually make, but not layups (as I recall). In that respect, it was not like DePaul last night.

I do recall what seemed like a shocking loss to Villanova somewhere around 2000 (perhaps during the Big East tournament?) when UConn missed bunny after bunny, many of them put-backs by, I think, Swin Cash, and Villanova couldn't miss. It was insanely frustrating.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do recall what seemed like a shocking loss to Villanova somewhere around 2000 (perhaps during the Big East tournament?) when UConn missed bunny after bunny, many of them put-backs by, I think, Swin Cash, and Villanova couldn't miss. It was insanely frustrating.
The famous one is the BE tournament ending to the seventy game win streak in 2003. But when Villanova has reasonable talent they can be a pain in the because they are infinitely patient on offense - not dissimilar to the great Princeton teams under Pete Carril - every top ranked team's nightmare NCAA tournament bracket opponent - they might lose but it would be a 36-34 final score that was like having 5 teeth pulled. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom