Temple Game Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Temple Game Thread

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
You have to do some of that because if you don't, they sniff out every screen pass just by seeing that he's in the lineup. Some plays set up other plays. We still need to have a better OLine push, and that play will pay off. They're getting there...
Astute comment by one of the smarter folks here....see how happy I am?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dude, I know....love your observations.

Thanks, brotha. And I was definitely kidding. My douchyness doesn't reach that level... :cool:

Reaction Score
Think about the time we burned doing it though....made a difference in the end.
Yes it did burn some time but if you're going to run it up the middle give it to Bryant to run or Nate. Newsome up the middle for one or two yards scares me with the defense knowing they have to get the ball back.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Yes it did burn some time but if you're going to run it up the middle give it to Bryant to run or Nate. Newsome up the middle for one or two yards scares me with the defense knowing they have to get the ball back.
Hey, I agree to some extent....but it did make a difference today....because the D stood strong a few times.

Reaction Score
You have to do some of that because if you don't, they sniff out every screen pass just by seeing that he's in the lineup. Some plays set up other plays. We still need to have a better OLine push, and that play will pay off. They're getting there...
Not saying don't that, saying don't do that with Newsome, give it to Hopkins or Mensah, or even Bryant. Newsome for one or two yards just to kill the clock is a much bigger fumble risk, IMO. Especially with the defense knowing they have to get the ball back somehow.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not saying don't that, saying don't do that with Newsome, give it to Hopkins or Mensah, or even Bryant. Newsome for one or two yards just to kill the clock is a much bigger fumble risk, IMO.

If you don't do it with Newsome while Newsome is on the field, then it is a two-back set and the defense knows it's a run.

If you don't do it with Newsome and Newsome is NOT on the field, then when Newsome comes back on the field, you know it's a screen pass.

You just can't do that. You just can't let the defense know exactly what you are going to do and expect to be successful. Trust in Lashlee. He's done nothing to this point to cause you not to trust him...

Reaction Score
If you don't do it with Newsome while Newsome is on the field, then it is a two-back set and the defense knows it's a run.

If you don't do it with Newsome and Newsome is NOT on the field, then when Newsome comes back on the field, you know it's a screen pass.

You just can't do that. You just can't let the defense know exactly what you are going to do and expect to be successful. Trust in Lashlee. He's done nothing to this point to cause you not to trust him...
But why have him run up the middle???? I mean a kid his size is going no where and could easily get stripped. If you need to give the ball to Newsome have the lineman pull so he can run right or left. Like I said, if you're trying to kill the clock with runs up the middle, Hopkins, Mensah, even the QB.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
But why have him run up the middle???? I mean a kid his size is going no where and could easily get stripped. If you need to give the ball to Newsome have the lineman pull so he can run right or left. Like I said, if you're trying to kill the clock with runs up the middle, Hopkins, Mensah, even the QB.
Attention Coach Lashlee. He has a point. We can still kill clock and gain yards.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But why have him run up the middle???? I mean a kid his size is going no where and could easily get stripped. If you need to give the ball to Newsome have the lineman pull so he can run right or left.

He can cut to the outside, but he's not really the type of back that is going to hit the outside with speed. He's more shifty than he is fast. The designated plays to the outside for Newsome seem to develop slowly. As the OLine improves, those runs are going to pay off. He hit a couple of them for 5 - 7 yards (I'll have to look up the exact numbers), and he averaged over 3 per carry today. It's not like the plays were busts...

Reaction Score
Just beating Temple is a good feeling
The defense did look better in spots but this laying off the receivers and giving 10 yard pass gains is getting real old
The offense was good up until the 4th qtr
Don't understand the running Newsome into the line
This is a start and it may be a confidence builder for many players - it's the coaches that have to make adjustments

I could not agree more. The defense laying off receivers is really getting real old.
Newsome, with his quickness and quick hands should be in the slot, not running up the middle.

Much better tackling
Offensive line still needs work but their was a little bit of spark.

Randy ball - earlier stages.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Prevent D and run clock offense are two things I don’t understand. Especially prevent D. What exactly is it designed to prevent? Prevent a defensive stop? YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME

Reaction Score
I could not agree more. The defense laying off receivers is really getting real old.
Newsome, with his quickness and quick hands should be in the slot, not running up the middle.

Much better tackling
Offensive line still needs work but their was a little bit of spark.

Randy ball - earlier stages.

You have to figure they are not playing press coverage because the talent and experience is just not there.

I'm thinking that big, big plays would be the norm if they played man coverage.

Reaction Score
Winning is fun. I think they had their pride tested after Memphis put up 70 on them and it was a good sign they responded well.

Of course getting win #2, and seeing 3 other winnable games coming up, makes the decision to reschedule USF and move up another winnable game ECU look incredibly misguided.

Reaction Score
He can cut to the outside, but he's not really the type of back that is going to hit the outside with speed. He's more shifty than he is fast. The designated plays to the outside for Newsome seem to develop slowly. As the OLine improves, those runs are going to pay off. He hit a couple of them for 5 - 7 yards (I'll have to look up the exact numbers), and he averaged over 3 per carry today. It's not like the plays were busts...
Maybe earlier in the game, but not when the defense knows we need to kill the clock. Using Newsome to run up the gut was risky and gained little, what saved us was the encroachment call on the defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom