Temple Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Temple Game Thread

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
SC does not have the quickness that Temple has and they don't move the ball as well as Temple was moving the ball in the second half. The sky is not falling.
And Geno doesn't like Dawn as much as he likes Tonya.

Reaction Score
But UConn just never permits the other team to "get hot" for an entire half. The team adjusts and shuts them down. This never happens. I wonder whether this is a multi-year record of points scored against UConn in a half.

Temple had a 12-game winning streak before South Florida, which it lost by 4 points. And now this strong performance against UConn. I think this Temple team is getting much better.

I might pick this team for an upset or two. Don't be surprised to see them in the Sweet Sixteen.
This isn't unprecedented. I remember Dayton shot well from three and was quite competitive in the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago. Yes, Temple scored a lot of points in the second half.

I'm sure the defensive issues will be addressed moving forward. Temple has quickness and they run a coherent offense so I agree with you that they should make some noise in the tournament, especially if they can put two good halves together.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think we should discount the return of Crystal in helping that 2nd half burst by Temple. For all the good progress she's made running the offense her defense still lags behind. It seemed like a few of those open threes may have been at her expense. Plus (Despite practice) she may need a game or two to shake off the rust. Also throw in Molly and Kyla for a few minutes and it doesn't shock me the defense slacked off in the 2nd half. And again Temple loosened up because they were getting blown out. It's easier to shoot when the stakes are no longer as high. Geno doesn't sound too bummed out talking at his PC right now.

Reaction Score
upload_2017-2-1_21-13-25.png

upload_2017-2-1_21-20-17.png

Reaction Score
This isn't unprecedented. I remember Dayton shot well from three and was quite competitive in the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago. Yes, Temple scored a lot of points in the second half.

I'm sure the defensive issues will be addressed moving forward. Temple has quickness and they run a coherent offense so I agree with you that they should make some noise in the tournament, especially if they can put two good halves together.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/ncaar3.html

Back in March, 2015, Dayton only scored 44 points in the first half. In the second half, UConn adjusted, and they only scored 26 in the second half.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
First and far most, Welcome back Crystal!!
Good game Huskies!! Temple is a good team, so I expected them to fight. Saniya confidence is really growing. Great win #96!!

Reaction Score
Loved the game -- love this team!! Now Danger is coming back. Love it.

The 1st half -- I was in complete awe. I mean awe. The 2nd half I liked to see Gabby trying to knock down outside shots. Same with Collier. I happen to think when you completely overwhelm an opponent by playing one way - pound it inside. In the 2nd half they were able to comfortably try to work on other things.

As for the rebounding-- no big deal. We complain about the team getting potentially worn down. A game like this in which we got wiped on the boards-- was it "taxing" on this team? Nah.

These are 20 yo kids and they are a small team. They aren't pros. I couldn't be happier how this team continues to play. And it's good to see we get whooped on some things - especially rebounding. Because once we get in the NCAA's -- it's going to happen. If this team was perfect throughout their conference in every phase all year-- hwo could they "peak" come March? More likely we'd have a false sense of security

I do wonder though- I tend to think a team like Fla State will be very tough on us vs a random size team. But more will be known after the USC game. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me?! Temple out rebounded UConn 42-30!! And Temple pulled down 26 offensive rebounds! Wow! And 11 3's for Temple?

What the heck was going on in that second half? Did Temple figure something out about UConn's defense?
Without being confrontive, did you actually watch the game? Temple was jacking up 3s from half court. Not sustainable and not an issue for UConn to worry about.

Reaction Score
1st half... A+
2nd half... D+

Say what you will about how hard Temple played, but we lost the 2nd half by 6. That's an entire 20 minutes of basketball. Believe me I realize we were up big time at the half, but just like Geno was not happy with how we played in the first half last game, he should be very displeased with our entire 2nd half tonight. It's good that we haven't peaked yet, that's for sure! ;)
??? Temple got hot and their subs played better than ours. Other than that, one of better games UConn has played this year. 1st half was best I have seen this year.

Reaction Score
Baylor scored 50 points against UConn in their victory in February 2013. But Temple scored one more.

I've gone back to the 2005/2006 season, and I have yet to find any game in which UConn's opponent scored as many points as Temple did tonight. The Baylor game four years ago was the closest.

This was unprecedented.

Reaction Score
Without being confrontive, did you actually watch the game? Temple was jacking up 3s from half court. Not sustainable and not an issue for UConn to worry about.

Yes, I watched the game. And no team has done this in many years. I looked up the stats. It didn't look "sustainable," but they did sustain it for an entire half.

Reaction Score
At the start of the 4th quarter, SNY did an extended shot of a trainer wiping/cleaning Butts' butt #JerseyHumor

I was hoping the commentator would say that but alas......

Reaction Score
But UConn just never permits the other team to "get hot" for an entire half. The team adjusts and shuts them down. This never happens. I wonder whether this is a multi-year record of points scored against UConn in a half.

Temple had a 12-game winning streak before South Florida, which it lost by 4 points. And now this strong performance against UConn. I think this Temple team is getting much better.

I might pick this team for an upset or two. Don't be surprised to see them in the Sweet Sixteen.

Were you the poster worrying about our post players in 2018-2019 season and beyond?

Did you really say on another post that Dayton "only scored 44 points in the 1st half?" Only? Are you kidding? 44 points isn't a lot? And isn't a half of scoring 44 vs UCONN -- a good half of shooting night? Dayton shot 51% from the floor and 7-10 from 3 pt range.

Last year ND shot tremeondous vs UCONN and even more efficient in the 2nd half:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/120515.html#GAME.BX2

And DePaul last year shot super vs UCONN in the 1st half:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/120215.html

And the 2nd half vs USF in 2014-2015- they were darn hot too
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/15wbb10.html

-- Yes UCONN does permit other teams to go hot for an entire half. They aren't machines. They are still young players. Not pros.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

If they can't beat USF at home, who are they going to beat in the NCAA Tournament to reach the Sweet Sixteen?

Reaction Score
I thought that Katie Lou played as well in the first half as she ever has. It was just different. Didn't stand behind the arc and wave, but attacked inside, over and over again. She needs to do a lot more of that. Not only is she as good in there as anyone else on the team but it even opens up her outside game because they can never be sure she'll stay there. She hasn't had that much practice on that part of her game at this level so she can only get better and better. I've been waiting, hoping to see this.
I seem to remember someone else who came on like this in their sophomore year. In fact I think they were roommates.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And Geno doesn't like Dawn as much as he likes Tonya.
How've you been UC? Haven't heard much from you in some. Everything OK with you in the land of palm trees, god's waiting rooms and bikini's?

Reaction Score
I thought that Katie Lou played as well in the first half as she ever has. It was just different. Didn't stand behind the arc and wave, but attacked inside, over and over again. She needs to do a lot more of that. Not only is she as good in there as anyone else on the team but it even opens up her outside game because they can never be sure she'll stay there. She hasn't had that much practice on that part of her game at this level so she can only get better and better. I've been waiting, hoping to see this.
I seem to remember someone else who came on like this in their sophomore year. In fact I think they were roommates.

IMO -- No she doesn't. She needs to do both. She is shooting a tremendous 46% from 3. Her shot is fantastic to watch whether it be from 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
Were you the poster worrying about our post players in 2018-2019 season and beyond?

Did you really say on another post that Dayton "only scored 44 points in the 1st half?" Only? Are you kidding? 44 points isn't a lot? And isn't a half of scoring 44 vs UCONN -- a good half of shooting night? Dayton shot 51% from the floor and 7-10 from 3 pt range.

Last year ND shot tremeondous vs UCONN and even more efficient in the 2nd half:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/120515.html#GAME.BX2

And DePaul last year shot super vs UCONN in the 1st half:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/120215.html

And the 2nd half vs USF in 2014-2015- they were darn hot too
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/15wbb10.html

-- Yes UCONN does permit other teams to go hot for an entire half. They aren't machines. They are still young players. Not pros.

Oh come on!

Simple fact that Temple scored more points in this game than any team has scored against UConn for over a decade. And I stopped searching after the 2004 season. Not condemning UConn. Just pointing out that this is pretty extraordinary. Only Baylor has come close, scoring 50 points in a half in a win against UConn four years ago. So Temple's performance for a half was amazing.

Understood?

Retract your claws.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom