OT: - Tell me about Charlotte | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tell me about Charlotte

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IMG_0606.jpeg

Reaction Score
I might have to move here when I retire :) Golf year round? Oh yeah ....

Reaction Score
Downsides to North Carolina in general
Traffic
Rednecks
Non alum tar heel fans
Flies
The food
The primary schools
The word kin is in the marriage certificates
Blazing hot summers
Duke
Guns allowed in bars and playgrounds
Springtime pollen storms
Hurricanes (not nhl)

Pluses
Pro sports in Charlotte and raleigh
Asheville and the coast
Pretty much the “South’s California
Weed will be legal
Growing
Great colleges
Taxes low for now
BBQ (Still think any non denominational recipe is best)
Bearing unc
NC state fans are actually pretty enjoyable
Kemba was here
Jlamb was here
Jeff adrien was here
I think jake was here
Emeka started this place
Was Dyson here?
Cam rocks head rags
Snow shuts the state down at 1-2” once or twice a year
Weed will be legal
Beating duke
Even closer to Charleston Atlanta savannah and Florida
Usually pretty temperate on Halloween turkey day and Xmas ( sorry not much snow)
You put Weed will be legal in your Pluses twice. Coincidence? I think not.

The "Guns allowed in bars and playgrounds" reminded me of a funny story. A neighbor moved down to Charlotte for his job and bought a house in Rock Hill, SC. A couple months after they moved down there his son was playing soccer and they're watching the game. A father pulls up in a big pick up truck with an ATV in the back because he was coming back from hunting and was decked out in his hunting gear. Another dad comes over to talk and they whip out a couple shot guns from the cab of the truck and start pointing them in the air and toward the soccer field checking out how the guns feel and how the scopes look. My ex-neighbor said nobody even flinched at that sight. Imagine that happening up here in New England? People would be calling the police and the FBI. He said it was a big culture shock moving down there.

Reaction Score

The "Guns allowed in bars and playgrounds" reminded me of a funny story. A neighbor moved down to Charlotte for his job and bought a house in Rock Hill, SC. A couple months after they moved down there his son was playing soccer and they're watching the game. A father pulls up in a big pick up truck with an ATV in the back because he was coming back from hunting and was decked out in his hunting gear. Another dad comes over to talk and they whip out a couple shot guns from the cab of the truck and start pointing them in the air and toward the soccer field checking out how the guns feel and how the scopes look. My ex-neighbor said nobody even flinched at that sight. Imagine that happening up here in New England? People would be calling the police and the FBI. He said it was a big culture shock moving down there.
I’d say something to those dopes. It’s fricking rule 1 of Guns 101 that, regardless of what you’re doing, you never point the barrel in the direction of anyone, loaded or otherwise. With my theoretical kid on the field? Oh HELL no.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Something similar happened recently in CT. Some dude bought a gun and was sighting it in and shooting some target practice right by some rec fields.

Reaction Score
Just an update - turns out the job is in Raleigh area. Why did I go to Charlotte to interview? Who knows. But Raleigh is better, right?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Just an update - turns out the job is in Raleigh area. Why did I go to Charlotte to interview? Who knows. But Raleigh is better, right?
No

Reaction Score

No. Not necessarily worse either but certainly different. It's in the Research Triangle and you've got all the big-time universities but there is not as much to do/see. Charlotte is more angled toward the financial industry versus research/technology and is simply a much bigger city with all that entails. Both are nice places to live. Having been here for nine years now I would choose the Charlotte area personally but Raleigh is pretty good too.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
No. Not necessarily worse either but certainly different. It's in the Research Triangle and you've got all the big-time universities but there is not as much to do/see. Charlotte is more angled toward the financial industry versus research/technology and is simply a much bigger city with all that entails. Both are nice places to live. Having been here for nine years now I would choose the Charlotte area personally but Raleigh is pretty good too.
Agree although neither is as nice as the Asheville area.:cool:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would say many of the same general themes apply and it’s a great area to start a family.

Reaction Score

Raleigh is more of what I would call a “suburban city.” Not many high rises, a lot of very nice surrounding communities...especially for families, and really good schools and universities. Honestly, Raleigh is pretty amazing, but people prefer Charlotte because it’s a massive financial industries city, the pro sports teams, and the vibrant uptown Charlotte life.

Also, they’re only 2.5 hours away from each other. I visit Raleigh semi often and always really enjoy myself...please reach out if you wanna talk about it more. I’ve been here for 7 years and have lived in Charlotte, Wilmington, and briefly in Raleigh

Reaction Score
Agree although neither is as nice as the Asheville area.:cool:

I might not argue that personally. Equally good craft beer scene, less crowded and aesthetically more pleasing and more outdoorsy. Asheville is limited compared to Charlotte in some other ways in terms of big city amenities however and you get a bit of winter up there. Plus I could do without the homeless meth-heads wandering around and bathing in the public fountains.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I might not argue that personally. Equally good craft beer scene, less crowded and aesthetically more pleasing and more outdoorsy. Asheville is limited compared to Charlotte in some other ways in terms of big city amenities however and you get a bit of winter up there. Plus I could do without the homeless meth-heads wandering around and bathing in the public fountains.
Some winter is a good compromise between Goshen, Ct and HHI, SC. We had a fourteen inch storm week after I moved and an eleven inch this past winter (compared to Raleigh’s fourteen). The snow from those storms lasted a little. Main roads were plowed quickly. Never had more than three plus inch storms and the smaller are gone in three days or less.

The benefit is the cooler summers than the Piedmont particularly in the evening.

City is becoming gentrified. Those @August_West wannabes are on the way to having to become less visible like Charlotte.

City is good for construction, health care, professionals, real estate. Overweighted in tourist jobs. Per capita U.S. leader in craft beers. Music scene is vibrant. One third the number of listed musicians but less than 1/10 the population of Nashville.

A young family will have more opportunity in Charlotte or The Triangle without a doubt. Living in the triangle would offer me an opportunity to go to a hockey game wearing a Whalers shirt and holding a sign telling Karponas he could kiss my big fat behind.

Reaction Score
Yes, comfortable summer evenings would be nice. We had 2" of snow this past winter in Charlotte and schools were closed for a week.

Reaction Score
Some winter is a good compromise between Goshen, Ct and HHI, SC. We had a fourteen inch storm week after I moved and an eleven inch this past winter (compared to Raleigh’s fourteen). The snow from those storms lasted a little. Main roads were plowed quickly. Never had more than three plus inch storms and the smaller are gone in three days or less.

The benefit is the cooler summers than the Piedmont particularly in the evening.

City is becoming gentrified. Those @August_West wannabes are on the way to having to become less visible like Charlotte.

City is good for construction, health care, professionals, real estate. Overweighted in tourist jobs. Per capita U.S. leader in craft beers. Music scene is vibrant. One third the number of listed musicians but less than 1/10 the population of Nashville.

A young family will have more opportunity in Charlotte or The Triangle without a doubt. Living in the triangle would offer me an opportunity to go to a hockey game wearing a Whalers shirt and holding a sign telling Karponas he could kiss my big fat behind.
Yes but there is no Ivan Lendl down there...
p_0300_15_B8_012_o2.jpg

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If only he could sell his $20 million dollar estate, he'd be out of Goshen too.
Followed me down to HHI. Goshen to HHI! Finally parting ways as he's heading to Vero Beach. Never had to worry about selling multi million dollar estates.

Outside of the abysmal winters loved my time in Goshen. Perfect area to go to my many favorite hiking trails with my dog. Was wonderful when I wanted to unwind from work. We would walk for miles and more likely encounter wildlife than human beings. Went to HHI for wifey. She loves the beach. I love the mountains. When she had her fill and offered to move to higher ground there wasn't a wasted instant looking for a landing place. Asheville is NW corner of CT with more amenities and much better weather. Also more people but the surrounding area is sparsely populated. Are you still planning to head to NC? If so good luck.

Reaction Score
I’ll throw my 2 cents in. Originally from CT, moved to Charlotte in 2013. It’s a great, fun, clean city and for the most part very safe. Lots to do here and great cities, mountains and beaches within a few hours drive. Airport really close to uptown, like a $12 uber. I’d certainly give it a shot. Charlotte does have a ton of transplants from the Northeast, Ohio, etc. so it doesn’t feel like you’re living in as much of an old south type environment as a new upcoming city. Lots of good southern food (although you’ll realize things like top notch pizza you take for granted in CT).

If you’re looking for places to live, I’d consider that if you drive out of Charlotte, it can get very country and southern - quick, of course depending on where you choose. Some places are really nice and upcoming, but I find that Gastonia for instance has a very different culture than Charlotte. @HooperScooper story about the shotguns doesn’t surprise me in Rock Hill SC but would not fly in Charlotte, even though they’re pretty close.

If you’re renting for 6mo to a year I’d recommend living in Charlotte and getting a feel for the area first before buying. I’m 29 and love the areas surrounding uptown such as Plaza Midwood, south end and Noda. I’ve seen lots of good suggestions already - if you’re commuting to Gastonia and trying to keep it shorter, uptown has great access to I-85 or I’d look into Ballantyne/south Charlotte to start. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I'm from Connecticut I live in Washington DC but I work in Charlotte on average 8 -10 days a month. Here's my take: Charlotte is better than Connecticut enough said! But much of this depends on what you are looking for in a city and what type of hobbies/activities your interest in

Reaction Score
Everyone here seems to love Charlotte. I never lived there so can't speak to it but this thread reminded me of a good friend of mine who moved there several years back and absolutely hated it. He's pretty outspoken about how much he hated it and warns others to avoid the place.

Reaction Score
Everyone here seems to love Charlotte. I never lived there so can't speak to it but this thread reminded me of a good friend of mine who moved there several years back and absolutely hated it. He's pretty outspoken about how much he hated it and warns others to avoid the place.

This might have something to do with it? Really fast growing and much has changed since my first trip to the area in the early 90's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom