OT: - Tell me about Charlotte | The Boneyard

OT: Tell me about Charlotte

Reaction Score
I've got a job interview in Charlotte (Gastonia) on Monday and I understand a few of you are in that area...Do I want to leave CT for Charlotte (convince me with an argument other than taxes)? Tell me about the area and what makes it great? Where should I look to live if they offer?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We need more context about you before we can give you anything. The story for single 25 year old is different than a 45 year old with a family with kids.

Reaction Score
If you're young and single you might want to consider living in the city otherwise Union County is the fastest growing area with the best schools (Weddington, Marvin, Wesley Chapel, parts of Waxhaw). The problem would be that the stretch of 485 you would drive in order to get to Gastonia will be a bit rough although they are expanding the highway to include an express toll lane which should help. Ballantyne might be worth consideration also.

I sure don't miss the winters down here and you can golf year round if you're hardcore (I'm not). The summers are long, hot and humid. My wife loves the climate and will not agree to ever move back north. Charlotte is a relatively new city and is fairly clean and of manageable size. It has an excellent craft beer scene. Yes, taxes are lower but so is real estate in general. The quality of house I was able to get down here compared to what I had in CT is much better. I like it fine personally but find the Piedmont region of the state to generally lack the character of CT/New England.

Reaction Score
do you want to live in a city of almost 1 million? CT doesnt have any of those

Reaction Score
If you're young and single you might want to consider living in the city otherwise Union County is the fastest growing area with the best schools (Weddington, Marvin, Wesley Chapel, parts of Waxhaw). The problem would be that the stretch of 485 you would drive in order to get to Gastonia will be a bit rough although they are expanding the highway to include an express toll lane which should help. Ballantyne might be worth consideration also.

I sure don't miss the winters down here and you can golf year round if you're hardcore (I'm not). The summers are long, hot and humid. My wife loves the climate and will not agree to ever move back north. Charlotte is a relatively new city and is fairly clean and of manageable size. It has an excellent craft beer scene. Yes, taxes are lower but so is real estate in general. The quality of house I was able to get down here compared to what I had in CT is much better. I like it fine personally but find the Piedmont region of the state to generally lack the character of CT/New England.
Yes to entire first paragraph. I work with contractors and developers in that market and the sky is the limit. And. You get 2 pro sports franchothat can at least take the #2 slot of your favorite teams. If you like racing you’ll be happy as well. Not to mention the occasional tournament round that comes through the region.

Reaction Score
Was a lifetime CT resident until I moved to Charlotte last March and haven’t looked back. Awesome city with tons to do. Cost of living is also of course a major plus. People are flooding to Charlotte and you’ll meet a lot of people from CT/NY/NJ area including a decent amount of UConn alum. The only downside thus far has to do with the rapid growth. Traffic can be pretty awful some days and there’s construction everywhere with the city expanding so quick. Also not sure if you’d be buying or renting but house prices continue to increase, but are still below CT prices. In terms of where to live it depends on your age. If your 20s/30s and going to rent you will want to be Uptown, South End, or maybe Plaza Midwood. If you’re over that, or looking to buy, Southpark, Myers Park, Ballantyne, Lake Norman/Davidson, Lake Wylie (SC), or Fort Mill (SC) would be areas to check. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reaction Score
Was a lifetime CT resident until I moved to Charlotte last March and haven’t looked back. Awesome city with tons to do. Cost of living is also of course a major plus. People are flooding to Charlotte and you’ll meet a lot of people from CT/NY/NJ area including a decent amount of UConn alum. The only downside thus far has to do with the rapid growth. Traffic can be pretty awful some days and there’s construction everywhere with the city expanding so quick. Also not sure if you’d be buying or renting but house prices continue to increase, but are still below CT prices. In terms of where to live it depends on your age. If your 20s/30s and going to rent you will want to be Uptown, South End, or maybe Plaza Midwood. If you’re over that, or looking to buy, Southpark, Myers Park, Ballantyne, Lake Norman/Davidson, Lake Wylie (SC), or Fort Mill (SC) would be areas to check. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Downsides to North Carolina in general
Traffic
Rednecks
Non alum tar heel fans
Flies
The food
The primary schools
The word kin is in the marriage certificates
Blazing hot summers
Duke
Guns allowed in bars and playgrounds
Springtime pollen storms
Hurricanes (not nhl)

Pluses
Pro sports in Charlotte and raleigh
Asheville and the coast
Pretty much the “South’s California
Weed will be legal
Growing
Great colleges
Taxes low for now
BBQ (Still think any non denominational recipe is best)
Bearing unc
NC state fans are actually pretty enjoyable
Kemba was here
Jlamb was here
Jeff adrien was here
I think jake was here
Emeka started this place
Was Dyson here?
Cam rocks head rags
Snow shuts the state down at 1-2” once or twice a year
Weed will be legal
Beating duke
Even closer to Charleston Atlanta savannah and Florida
Usually pretty temperate on Halloween turkey day and Xmas ( sorry not much snow)

Reaction Score
I'm suspect of the city. Can went from getting $200k/yr in college to wearing head scarves in Charlotte.
That’s not just a head scarf bruh that was a straight up bonnet

Like he had mumps in the 30s begging for food

Which my grandfather pulled (faking it) on thanksgiving in Brooklyn

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This place rocks. Seriously its a fantastic city. Clean, everyone is beyond nice, weather is great (but I'd rather be hot than cold), extremely affordable cost of living, professional sports directly in the city (Panthers, Hornets, Knights all in Uptown Charlotte). One major benefit that often gets overlooked is the American Airlines hub at CLT airport. There are direct flights EVERYWHERE, domestic and international. Charlotte metro is ~2.6mm (2/3 the size of the state of CT).

Gastonia is a 20 minute drive from the uptown area. I agree with @polycom that having some additional context (age, interests, family status, budget) would be useful in more specific advice like places to live, things to do, etc. If you're a family man looking for quiet and great value, Gastonia or Belmont would be worth considering living in themselves. Gastonia/Belmont area is roughly 90k in population by themselves.

The craft beer scene is beyond incredible. There are breweries everywhere and they are almost always slammed. The warm weather year round means everyone is always out on the patio socializing. As previously mentioned everyone is nice and friendly, its easy to talk to people here and the work culture is very flexible even in the financial institutions (I work for a Bulge Bracket here).

Charlotte is also great location wise in that its close to a TON of great beaches (Charleston, Kiawah, Savannah, Hilton Head, Wilmington/Wrightsville, etc). No, Myrtle doesn't count as a great beach. Asheville is close by if you're an outdoorsy type.

Shoot me a personal message if you want to grab a beer on Monday after your interview. Happy to walk through more detail in person.

Reaction Score
My in-laws live in Weddington and I spent a decent amount of time in Charlotte and that area is one of my fave places around. If I didn't have such strong CT roots I'd move there in a heartbeat. I cannot comment on most of the specifics as to living there, but it is pretty great to be down there.

Reaction Score
Additional info:
30, married, one infant.
Probably rent for 6-12 before deciding if we love it enough to buy.
Currently commute 45 mins from Torrington to Berlin so I'm looking to cut that time down dramatically.
We like being outdoors. Walking hiking, my kid has tons of energy to expel.
Sister lives in Raleigh
Currently live on about 60k annually - wife stays home. So a younger community for her and the kid to make friends is important.

Reaction Score
Additional info:
30, married, one infant.
Probably rent for 6-12 before deciding if we love it enough to buy.
Currently commute 45 mins from Torrington to Berlin so I'm looking to cut that time down dramatically.
We like being outdoors. Walking hiking, my kid has tons of energy to expel.
Sister lives in Raleigh
Currently live on about 60k annually - wife stays home. So a younger community for her and the kid to make friends is important.
I don't live in Charlotte nor have I been there outside of some layovers at the airport but boy can I tell you It's a paradise compared Torrington. Godspeed Brother

Reaction Score
I don't live in Charlotte nor have I been there outside of some layovers at the airport but boy can I tell you It's a paradise compared Torrington. Godspeed Brother

Thankfully I don't live in Torrington, it's just an easier place to reference.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
I moved to Raleigh 4ish years ago and a lot of the same things here apply to Charlotte.

I bought a house that I couldn’t come close to affording in CT. I pay pennies on the dollar in taxes for it.

There’s people here! And things to do! Events! Too many restaurants to choose from! JOBS! If you’re in a competitive industry, companies are finding it hard to get good talent and are trying whatever they can to get good talent.

Charlotte has a pro football team and currently a semi pro basketball team. I’ve been to a game at each and the venues are right downtown and fun things to do before and after.

Reaction Score
Thanks, this all great information! And I appreciate all the comedic responses! Thanks for the laugh!

Reaction Score
I moved to Raleigh 4ish years ago and a lot of the same things here apply to Charlotte.

I bought a house that I couldn’t come close to affording in CT. I pay pennies on the dollar in taxes for it.

There’s people here! And things to do! Events! Too many restaurants to choose from! JOBS! If you’re in a competitive industry, companies are finding it hard to get good talent and are trying whatever they can to get good talent.

Charlotte has a pro football team and currently a semi pro basketball team. I’ve been to a game at each and the venues are right downtown and fun things to do before and after.
Co-sign after graduation moved to RTP Cary/Apex and it's the place to be. I'd rip Charlotte for a few years with the goal to get to Raleigh area.

Reaction Score
I'm 31 and married with an 18 month old daughter and originally from CT so it seems we're in practically the same situation.

Moved to Charlotte 3 years ago with my wife (then fiance) for her job which is in Gastonia. After coming down for the initial interview we quickly decided that we wanted to no part of actually living in Gastonia and opted for the much larger metropolis of Charlotte instead which is fine because it's literally a 20-minute commute (depending on where in CLT you live).

We love it! We were living in Queens right before moving here and although I adore the bright lights and big city, NYC is an entirely overwhelming place to live and the cost is out of control. In my opinion, CLT is the perfect mix of big city, small town and country living. Literally all three of these things can be found in a 10 mile radius from center city. The downtown area (which is called uptown, don't forget it) is modern, clean and vibrant. After living near Hartford my whole life I had forgotten what it's like to see a city that's actually alive at night. There's a ton of open space and masses of ppl moving here every day which means development in every direction. New skyscrapers and apartment buildings are getting thrown up left and right. The locals (of which there are admittedly few) seem to hate that their smallish southern city is disappearing but I feel it's all for the better.

We rented for 2 years in Southend which is just outside of uptown and is a fantastic neighborhood with lots of young couples and plenty to do. We built a house about a year ago which would've likely cost us $850K+ in parts of CT or NY/NJ area.

Send me a dm if you want to know more! I've got plenty more info if you want it.

Reaction Score
Downsides to North Carolina in general
Traffic
Rednecks
Non alum tar heel fans
Flies
The food
The primary schools
The word kin is in the marriage certificates
Blazing hot summers
Duke
Guns allowed in bars and playgrounds
Springtime pollen storms
Hurricanes (not nhl)

Pluses
Pro sports in Charlotte and raleigh
Asheville and the coast
Pretty much the “South’s California
Weed will be legal
Growing
Great colleges
Taxes low for now
BBQ (Still think any non denominational recipe is best)
Bearing unc
NC state fans are actually pretty enjoyable
Kemba was here
Jlamb was here
Jeff adrien was here
I think jake was here
Emeka started this place
Was Dyson here?
Cam rocks head rags
Snow shuts the state down at 1-2” once or twice a year
Weed will be legal
Beating duke
Even closer to Charleston Atlanta savannah and Florida
Usually pretty temperate on Halloween turkey day and Xmas ( sorry not much snow)

Excellent breakdown!

We had a light dusting and some ice last winter and I think the local schools were closed for nearly a week. It's really quite the sight to see.

Reaction Score
Moved to Charlotte area (Concord) in 2004. I love the area, most of my family moved down soon after. I'm not a huge fan of living directly in the city, I like my quiet. But then again, I'm 41 with a wife, 2 kids and a dog.

Reaction Score
Originally from CT, went to Wake Forest for college, graduated in 2004. Moved to Raleigh after school and lived there until 2008, then moved to Charlotte. So it will be 12 years in Charlotte for me this January.

Love the city. It's grown and changed a ton since 2008. Like many posters have said, they are building like crazy here (mainly condos/apartments). It almost seems like too much too quick, but you have to imagine they do their research in terms of population growth. I've been told the number is around 80 people per day moving to Charlotte (almost 30K per year).

South End is booming...if you're 22-35 and single, awesome place to live. Rent getting very expensive very quick there though. I'm married, no kids, live in Plaza Midwood. Older, sort of "hip" neighborhood just southeast of uptown. House prices getting up there for anything within a few miles of uptown. You can find much cheaper real estate up north (Huntersville/Concord), south (Ft. Mill/Rock Hill, SC), west (Belmont), or east (Matthews/Waxhaw/Monroe).

Panthers/Hornets right uptown is fun, as is the Charlotte Knights (White Sox AAA affiliate...was just opened in 2014 and may be the best minor league stadium in the country). Asheville/Boone about 2 hours away...Charleston about 3, Wilmington/Myrtle area beaches about 3.5-4. Summers are warm and muggy, but you get used to that after a while. Spring and fall are great and you don't need to worry about digging yourself out of the snow in the winter. Get a couple snow "storms" a year but typically no more than a couple inches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom