????? Televised Game ????? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

????? Televised Game ?????

Reaction Score
I remember earlier that someone here brought up the idea of a VPN. These systems apparently do end-runs around sites that prevent our watching them (eg, SNY). According to my research today, I understand that anyone can access anything w/out interference by signing up for VPN service (cost=$12/mo., first month up to 6 months free). That includes SNY (I checked).
Too good to be true? Worth a try?
Have you tried it? I believe by going through a vpn, it hides the ip address, which indicates where you are located?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The Quinnipiac game is going to be on Flosports, a streaming service that is a subscription service with no apparent free trial. The game against the Maine/Mississippi State winner will be on one of the ESPN stations.
I believe that this information is in a different thread.
Schedule for Mohegan Sun Bubble games

"Flosports"? This stuff kills me. These streaming services are popping up like weeds. Like people are going to subscribe to watch one game (And they will probably broadcast 1 UCONN game per year). Who made this crazy deal? UCONN or the Big East?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
"Flosports"? This stuff kills me. These streaming services are popping up like weeds. Like people are going to subscribe to watch one game (And they will probably broadcast 1 UCONN game per year). Who made this crazy deal? UCONN or the Big East?
I would like to know if SNY made the deal with Fox Sports but didn't include any means for out of market fans to have access to their games. If SNY\Fox Sports made the deal with Flosports, why wouldn't Fox Sports have the game on one of their own channels instead? Could be because they are committed to NCAA Football or one of the soccer league games.
Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Have you tried it? I believe by going through a vpn, it hides the ip address, which indicates where you are located?
A VPN essentially hides your real IP address and replaces it with one found in the area you are trying to look like you are in (the real process is a bit more complex but that is the simplified version). The stated rationalization for this is to protect your identity when online because your IP address can be used to identify the service provider you use and through them you from the bad folks online. Being able to then access programming in that new area is just "unintended" benefits.

Reaction Score
A VPN essentially hides your real IP address and replaces it with one found in the area you are trying to look like you are in (the real process is a bit more complex but that is the simplified version). The stated rationalization for this is to protect your identity when online because your IP address can be used to identify the service provider you use and through them you from the bad folks online. Being able to then access programming in that new area is just "unintended" benefits.
Thanks

Reaction Score
A VPN is useless, you need to have a subscription to SNY via your streaming or cable provider to watch SNY on the NBC Sports app.

Reaction Score
Yes you have to be able to actually get SNY to watch it. One way is the NBC Sports app. Not the only way of course. Many basic TV packages provide SNY. A VPN can make you appear to be within their non-blackout area however as if you are traveling.

Reaction Score
This is why I haven't jumped on the cord cutting train. What I want is the ability to subscribe to any individual channel no matter where I am located in the country. Media, whether it be TV, movies, and music, makes it very hard for their (potential) customers for some reason.

Reaction Score
Since I jumped to cutting the cord the price and options of the available services have changed exponentially - to the point that they are no longer a good choice in some ways. I went with HULU which as of yesterday just jumped their cost $10/month and is now close to what I was paying before. You try to get specialized plans and then they add things you don't want and kick up the charge. Cable didn't learn and apparently passed that stupidity to streaming services. Some people want movies. Some want sports. Good luck finding what you want.

Reaction Score

This has NOTHING to do with the Big East or Fox Sports! Fox Sports ONLY owns the rights to Big East conference games.

Reaction Score
Yes you have to be able to actually get SNY to watch it. One way is the NBC Sports app. Not the only way of course. Many basic TV packages provide SNY. A VPN can make you appear to be within their non-blackout area however as if you are traveling.

I gotcha, I misunderstood your previous post regarding using VPNs.

Reaction Score
Since I jumped to cutting the cord the price and options of the available services have changed exponentially - to the point that they are no longer a good choice in some ways. I went with HULU which as of yesterday just jumped their cost $10/month and is now close to what I was paying before. You try to get specialized plans and then they add things you don't want and kick up the charge. Cable didn't learn and apparently passed that stupidity to streaming services. Some people want movies. Some want sports. Good luck finding what you want.

Yeah bummer on HULU TV, I also got their price increase email yesterday. Now seems like HULU TV and YouTube TV are playing "leapfrog" with each other...oh yeah, watch me I'll match your monthly price.

I cancelled YouTube TV not too long ago when they raised their price. Now I have already cancelled HULU TV, for the same price I'll go back to YouTube TV.

If there's any positive from these streaming live TV services, no one or two year subscription. Cancel anytime and look for another live streaming service of preferences.

Reaction Score
A VPN is useless, you need to have a subscription to SNY via your streaming or cable provider to watch SNY on the NBC Sports app.
But if you are out of market SNY is not always available, so by logging in to the streaming service through a vpn server local to the SNY network you may be able to view it. Have not tried it yet, but that is how I understand it works?

Reaction Score
But if you are out of market SNY is not always available, so by logging in to the streaming service through a vpn server local to the SNY network you may be able to view it. Have not tried it yet, but that is how I understand it works?

IMO what @soxfan23 has stated is true. My 2 cents on this. If you are outside the market area of SNY and wanted to...let's say get on board one of these live streaming services that do carry SNY. I believe it is at this time for the VPN. before you create an account set the VPN for NY City or tri-state area server and sign up...then you should be good to go. If anyone has a difference of opinion please share.

Reaction Score
IMO what @soxfan23 has stated is true. My 2 cents on this. If you are outside the market area of SNY and wanted to...let's say get on board one of these live streaming services that do carry SNY. I believe it is at this time for the VPN. before you create an account set the VPN for NY City or tri-state area server and sign up...then you should be good to go. If anyone has a difference of opinion please share.
I believe it’s the opposite. If you’re outside the SNY area then you should have no trouble streaming SNY if you have a service that offers it, or if the SNY games are offered on ESPN3 or whatever it's called now (provided you are paying for ESPN in your basic cable package).

The problem is if you are IN the SNY area but are not paying for SNY through your cable service. To incentivize you to subscribe, SNY will not allow streaming in their service area, as this would just enable you to circumvent subscribing to a cable service that carries SNY. A VPN would make your device appear to have an IP address outside the SNY area, so streaming within the SNY area (circumventing) would be available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to know if SNY made the deal with Fox Sports but didn't include any means for out of market fans to have access to their games. If SNY\Fox Sports made the deal with Flosports, why wouldn't Fox Sports have the game on one of their own channels instead? Could be because they are committed to NCAA Football or one of the soccer league games.
Time will tell.
I believe that the SNY\Fox Sports deal is only for Big East Conference games.

Reaction Score

No, I haven't tried it myself. I hoped there was a pioneer poster here who had used a vpn in the past and gained access to SNY. The purpose of vpn is privacy and security, but it does theoretically make available anything that is being blocked, not including sites that require payments to watch (eg. HBO, etc.). If I can find a vpn with no up-front charge (ie, free week or more), I'll feel safe trying it.
I read that Hulu and YouTube Live carry SNY, and both offer a 7 day free exploration. You might use one or both of these to watch games on dates for which no coverage is otherwise available. (?)
Do any of you access SNY with a streaming service?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, I haven't tried it myself. I hoped there was a pioneer poster here who had used a vpn in the past and gained access to SNY. The purpose of vpn is privacy and security, but it does theoretically make available anything that is being blocked, not including sites that require payments to watch (eg. HBO, etc.). If I can find a vpn with no up-front charge (ie, free week or more), I'll feel safe trying it.
I read that Hulu and YouTube Live carry SNY, and both offer a 7 day free exploration. You might use one or both of these to watch games on dates for which no coverage is otherwise available. (?)

Yes, I'm in CT so both YouTube TV and HULU TV offer SNY...I have been watching SNY for the last few years now since I cut the cord from Comcast.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
For a number of years I received SNY on Direct TV, it was only offered on the most expensive package, which cost us over $250.00 a month. I tried to get them to pull out SNY and offer it as a stand alone. No deal, we no longer pay for the package, so like a lot of you I scramble for coverage.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I remember earlier that someone here brought up the idea of a VPN. These systems apparently do end-runs around sites that prevent our watching them (eg, SNY). According to my research today, I understand that anyone can access anything w/out interference by signing up for VPN service (cost=$12/mo., first month up to 6 months free). That includes SNY (I checked).
Too good to be true? Worth a try?

We have a "Roku" box and the "Hulu Live" app that has CBS Sports Network, ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 & 2, NBCSN among others.

Also have a SBC with "Kodi" installed and the ESPN app which has ESPN3. (Requires our internet provider info)

There is a FloSports app for ROKU. Think I'm going to pass on FloSports. Hopefully UConn is at the very least a part owner of the broadcast and have rights the show their games and I'll watch through youtube or the web browser, both are apps on our smartTV.

Would really like to watch SNY's pre & post game shows. Thinking that the smartdnsproxy with their VPN service looking out from NY, and putting a NY zip code in my smartTV might get SNY listed in my TV's TVGuide.
Smart DNS Proxy #free, Unblock US & Global Websites #smartdns #usproxy

They do have a trial so if I can't get SNY I could cancel.

Reaction Score
For a number of years I received SNY on Direct TV, it was only offered on the most expensive package, which cost us over $250.00 a month. I tried to get them to pull out SNY and offer it as a stand alone. No deal, we no longer pay for the package, so like a lot of you I scramble for coverage.
I believe the Sports Pak offered by DirecTV contains SNY. I have been getting the SNY broadcasts for years this way. Cost approx. $15.99 per month.

Reaction Score

Yeah. Here in Maryland Verizon only includes SNY in its priciest package. $50/mo. more to get SNY. Crazy.

Reaction Score
I'm in CT and my wife is addicted to Frontier (doesn't carry SNY) :(:eek:. With my apologies and thanks:

1. Can I stream SNY for games and the analysis live while keeping Frontier as my cable provider? Sorry, but I'm not savvy with all the different streaming technology options and products that have been discussed in this thread. Suggestions?

2. As I understand it conference games (away only?) may be on FS1 or 2 (which I have). Is this true?

3. I'm so glad fans have UConn replays as backup. Does anyone know if replays can be sent from my Mac to a smart Sony TV (or accessed directly by the TV?) while maintaining good picture quality using, for example, an HDMI cable or a wireless signal to the smartTV?

Guidance is greatly appreciated! TY!!

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I believe the Sports Pak offered by DirecTV contains SNY. I have been getting the SNY broadcasts for years this way. Cost approx. $15.99 per month.
When I had DirecTV, I did add on the Sports Pak just to have SNY, but only during the WBB season. At the time it was easy to add and remove the package and was a bit cheaper. No idea if this is still true as I ditched DirecTV a few years ago. Oh, one other thing about DirecTV, they offered a couple of channels that were totally in 4K resolution and actually saw a UConn WBB game in 4K (I believe it might have been Kia's "home" game).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom