Teaira McCowan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Teaira McCowan

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
:eek: I guess in some circles 7 of 99 votes might be considered "high praise".
View attachment 45783

Being voted for ROY is different than being spoken about in high praise. And back to the Fowles comparison, if you look at Fowles votes for ROY, she likely got zero, which McCowan will do better than.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Being voted for ROY is different than being spoken about in high praise. And back to the Fowles comparison, if you look at Fowles votes for ROY, she likely got zero, which McCowan will do better than.
I see that at least part of your disrespect is the result of lack of information: Candace Parker was named unanimous rookie of the year in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised to see the vote also being unanimous this year for Napheesa.
Fowles was sidelined for half of her rookie season due to injury. In her time on the court, she averaged 10.5 points and 7.5 rebounds, which would have placed her third and second, respectively among rookies. Upon her return from injury Fowles was named Rookie of the Month for September. In her 17 games, she posted six double-doubles, which was the fifth-most in the league. As I have mentioned previously, had Jessica Shepard not gotten hurt McCowan's would not be in the conversation for ROY.
In order for Big T to do better than Fowles she has to win a least 1 Rookie of the month award- she's running out of time!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I see that at least part of your disrespect is the result of lack of information: Candace Parker was named unanimous rookie of the year in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised to see the vote also being unanimous this year for Napheesa.
Is the Boneyard the official electorate?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
2006-Had Fowles/Augustus and were a #1 seed that eeked into the Final Four over a good Stanford team.

IIRC that was the game where Stanford's game winning shot on a drive and kick was waived off on what seemed like a VERY questionable offensive foul call.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Pure urban legend that McCowan can take and consistently make a 10 foot shot much less a 15 footer.
Regarding "can't teach size" a few years back there were similar proclamation about the #2 overall pick (Aliana Coates) having a WNBA frame and the size to dominate. Amazing that this thread and the biggin up of MCowan came after a game in which her team lost to the NY Liberty. Just in case anyone is wondering who is keeping McCowan from greatness or starting, it is 35 years old Candice Dupree and Natalie Achonwa. The Fever should start McCowan and have her realize all this potential instead of having Candice log 30 minutes per night.

I have no comment on 10-footers. I never said she "consistently make(s)" the 15-footer. But I'll say this: I've seeh probably 20-30 MSST games over the past couple of years. I've seen her make probably a half-dozen foul-line shots. I don't think I've seen her take more than ten. So from a small sample size, she shoots pretty well. In order to consistently take and make a mid-range shot, she'd have to consistently play out there, which she hasn't done. From what I've seen (myself, no urban legend), she can make the 15-footer when she's out there.

And with respect to Coates: She's way bigger than Coates. I first appreciated how big she is when I saw her next to Mercedes Russel. Her listed height and weight are pretty close to Russel's, but McCowan's shoulders, arms, and legs are noticeably bigger than Russel's.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1. Very first video when you search her name on youtube. 25 second mark:

You must not have seen much of Mississippi State this last year. She can hit the midrange shot and did on numerous occasions. Not urban legend.

2. Im not sure anyone ever used the phrase "cant teach size" with Coates. And comparing her to Coates makes zero sense. She's 6-3. McCowan is 6-7. McCowan has already made a much greater impact that Coates has in her 2 years. And no one thought Coates would dominate.

3. McCowan has been talked about with high praise on this board all WNBA season, particularly in the WNBA thread and ROY thread. Suggest you read those.

4. Everyone (on multiple boards) has criticized Pokey for not starting McCowan.

5. And while it isnt a perfect comparison but a MUCH better one than Coates, I'll point out that Fowles in her last 8 games is averaging 11.4 points and 7.1 rebounds while her team has gone 3-5. Big T during that stretch has averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds (on 56.6% shooting no less) with a 3-5 record.

Still disrespectful?

Thanks. I didn't see your post when I submitted mine (i. e., posted before reading the rest of the thread).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
IIRC that was the game where Stanford's game winning shot on a drive and kick was waived off on what seemed like a VERY questionable offensive foul call.
Yup. Watching it back, definitely looked like she was moving. (1:43:23 mark)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yup. Watching it back, definitely looked like she was moving. (1:43:23 mark)

That was close for sure, but it seems like Augustus jumped into her path and didn't necessarily beat her to the spot. Oh well. Stanford started a streak of Final 4 appearances the next year.

Reaction Score
10C5A4BA-7A3A-4639-8074-5E3EDFA2B58D.jpeg

Reaction Score
I guess they adjusted her rebounds up to 19 after that graphic was made.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think @azfan is an Arike fan based on the posts he or she has made.

Reaction Score
I think @azfan is an Arike fan based on the posts he or she has made.
I'm a fan of women's basketball. First and foremost I'm a fan of the ASU Lady Sun Devils. They should be very strong this year very guard heavy and those guards do know how to pass the ball. Second I'm a huge fan of the UConn Huskies admire the program and the philosophy that Geno Auriemma has developed. I'm a fan of the Phoenix Mercury and of course DT. Finally I'm a fan of women's basketball in general really admire the performance of the 3 top line rookies this year.

Reaction Score

McCowan’s 19 boards eclipsed her own Indiana rookie record and were the second-highest figure in Fever history. She moved into 10th place on the Fever’s single-season rebounding list with 245 for the season. With five games remaining, she needs 32 boards to break the club’s rookie rebounding mark of 276, established by Tamika Catchings in 2002.

Heady company indeed.

Reaction Score
McCowan has a double double at halftime as the Fever are humiliating the Aces. With 12 points and 11 rebounds McCowan also dropped a nice dime for those who like to see that part of her game expanded.

McCowan ends the domination of the listless Aces with 24 points, 17 rebounds and 5 blocks in a superlative performance.

Any chance this gets attention of ROY voters?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
McCowan has a double double at halftime as the Fever are humiliating the Aces. With 12 points and 11 rebounds McCowan also dropped a nice dime for those who like to see that part of her game expanded.
McCowan ends the domination of the listless Aces with 24 points, 17 rebounds and 5 blocks in a superlative performance.
Any chance this gets attention of ROY voters?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom