Teaira McCowan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Teaira McCowan

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So please explain how being labeled a, "Poor Man's Sylvia Fowles" when looking at McCowan's WNBA outlook can be considered "disrespectful"?
Just so others who might be interested can catch up your disrespect of Sylvia did not start today. It started before McCowan had even completed her college career. I've been watching basketball a very long time, as have you, I'm sure. How someone can watch Sylvia Fowles play and then watch McCowan play and conclude that the two player are comparable, even given some slight of hand or the most optimistic growth projections on the part of McCowan defines explanation-but I'll try.

You are a TN fan, back in the day Big Sylvia did y'all dirty- like this. Don't ever expect y'all to give her any props.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just so others who might be interested can catch up your disrespect of Sylvia did not start today. It started before McCowan had even completed her college career. I've been watching basketball a very long time, as have you, I'm sure. How someone can watch Sylvia Fowles play and then watch McCowan play and conclude that the two player are comparable, even given some slight of hand or the most optimistic growth projections on the part of McCowan defines explanation-but I'll try.

You are a TN fan, back in the day Big Sylvia did y'all dirty- like this. Don't ever expect y'all to give her any props.

Fowles is a stud and a better overall athlete than McCowan. No one is questioning that. McCowan is a force inside though and being compared as a poor man's Sylvia Fowles is pretty accurate IMO. The stats from their rookie seasons reflect that they've had incredibly similar rookie seasons.

Big T hasnt touched the surface of her potential yet and will improve with better coaching in the future. She's never going to be fast running the floor but she's already as good a rebounder as anyone in the WNBA and her offense has rapidly improved over the past few years. If she keeps improving she's going to be an All Star and dominant low post player. Basically a poor man's Sylvia Fowles.

Reaction Score
I will never forget the NCAA regional in Tina Charles' sophomore year when Sylvia Fowles- well, to say she dominated her would be an understatement. Fowles clobbered Tina under the basket. That spurred Charles to improve to AA form the next two years.

But Fowles has been one of the world's best centers for many years. Just amazing. Felt horrible for UConn when Fowles and her LSU team beat us, but we lost to a team with one of the all-time greats.

Reaction Score
I will never forget the NCAA regional in Tina Charles' sophomore year when Sylvia Fowles- well, to say she dominated her would be an understatement. Fowles clobbered Tina under the basket. That spurred Charles to improve to AA form the next two years.

But Fowles has been one of the world's best centers for many years. Just amazing. Felt horrible for UConn when Fowles and her LSU team beat us, but we lost to a team with one of the all-time greats.

Sometimes I'll watch old games, I but its incredible to watch those young ladies then and where they are now. I miss those days with Augustus and Fowles in the PMAC. the facilities were always packed because they were such joys to watch. I was watching some old LSU clips on youtube today when I saw Fowles pop up in this thread. I was really enjoying this one especially against Baylor :) and Kim's face afterwards lol

If the two programs played these days, we would get clobbered though :D

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Sometimes I'll watch old games, I but its incredible to watch those young ladies then and where they are now. I miss those days with Augustus and Fowles in the PMAC. the facilities were always packed because they were such joys to watch. I was watching some old LSU clips on youtube today when I saw Fowles pop up in this thread. I was really enjoying this one especially against Baylor :) and Kim's face afterwards lol

If the two programs played these days, we would get clobbered though :D

Augustus was an absolute stud in college. Arguably the biggest missed recruit Pat ever had, as it came down to UT and LSU. Each of Pat's teams from 03-06 likely would've been title favorites with Seimone in the lineup.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Count me in as one who thinks McCowan will be great. Her improvement in college was impressive. Many point to her progress from freshman to junior year, but between junior and senior years, she scored as many points on 100 fewer shots. She also didn't foul out once her senior year. She also hits the 15-footer pretty well, she just doesn't hang out in the high post that often.

During the W season she's also made great progress. Fouls are down, rebounds are up. Blocks are down, too, though, but that may indicate that opponents are avoiding going at her.

As the saying goes, you can't teach size. She just takes up so much space, she's so strong, and she's (despite what some say) in great shape. Her skills are improving at a significant rate. She also has a great demeanor -- she's got some fire, but she doesn't let it turn into a chip on a shoulder.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure it was Seimone's soph year, LSU ended up winning the West Regional that was held in Seattle on campus at UW that year. I attended those games. Agreed, she was a stud. I don't think Fowles was there yet. Seems like I would've remembered seeing her play. They beat Georgia, it was an SEC party in Seattle.

Reaction Score
Augustus was an absolute stud in college. Arguably the biggest missed recruit Pat ever had, as it came down to UT and LSU. Each of Pat's teams from 03-06 likely would've been title favorites with Seimone in the lineup.

Luckily she was from BR which was a huge advantage for us. Although Pokey Chatman was a phenomenal recruiter. She certainly had some weak spots as a coach but she recruited well. Its unfortunate to see what transpired because they had a really good thing going with all those final four appearances. Ever since that scandal the program has not been the same again (rarely top 25 anymore). Van simply could not get it done, he recruited well but the results were mediocre. Nikki outside her first couple years has done absolutely nothing. I will treasure those memories because players like Fowles and Augustus just don't grow on trees.

I am hoping we can get back there again (final fours). I remember when Geno came to LSU and kicked our butts the other year he even said that you can't even compare the program today to back then, and in large part because of the lack of quality players. The truth hurts but hey you have to acknowledge it.

Back on topic, I think McCowan will continue to grow with more experience. She certainly isn't the athlete Fowles was but she has tremendous upside. You cannot teach size and the toughness that McCowan brings. Looking forward to watching her continue to grow.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Luckily she was from BR which was a huge advantage for us. Although Pokey Chatman was a phenomenal recruiter. She certainly had some weak spots as a coach but she recruited well. Its unfortunate to see what transpired because they had a really good thing going with all those final four appearances. Ever since that scandal the program has not been the same again (rarely top 25 anymore). Van simply could not get it done, he recruited well but the results were mediocre. Nikki outside her first couple years has done absolutely nothing. I will treasure those memories because players like Fowles and Augustus just don't grow on trees.
My heart still aches for how such a very promising young coaching tenure at LSU came to such an unceremonious abrupt halt. Pokey did have a great thing going, a fantastic recruiter. Keeping Seimone at home and out of Pat's greedy clutches was a coup, but even before Seimone and Fowles, another LSU great who was an absolute delight to watch was Marie Ferdinand. I'm fairly certain that was also during Pokey's tenure as assistant, and likely her recruit.

Reaction Score
My heart still aches for how such a very promising young coaching tenure at LSU came to such an unceremonious abrupt halt. Pokey did have a great thing going, a fantastic recruiter. Keeping Seimone at home and out of Pat's greedy clutches was a coup, but even before Seimone and Fowles, another LSU great who was an absolute delight to watch was Marie Ferdinand. I'm fairly certain that was also during Pokey's tenure as assistant, and likely her recruit.

Pokey was actually Ferdinand's main recruiter. Gunter delegated a lot over her final years at LSU. Around 2000, she let Pokey run a lot more of the show, especially with the recruiting. Pokey was named the associate HC. 3-4 years later, LSU made an elite 8 and a final four before Gunter stepped down due to health problems. LSU went on to make a bunch of final 4s in a row before the scandal broke out. Van rode the wave for one year before it crashed.

She had some major connections in the Miami area, which Ferdinand and Fowles were at if I'm not mistaken. Miami area had some crazy some talent over the years.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Pokey was actually Ferdinand's main recruiter. Gunter delegated a lot over her final years at LSU. Around 2000, she let Pokey run a lot more of the show, especially with the recruiting. Pokey was named the associate HC. 3-4 years later, LSU made an elite 8 and a final four before Gunter stepped down due to health problems. LSU went on to make a bunch of final 4s in a row before the scandal broke out. Van rode the wave for one year before it crashed.

She had some major connections in the Miami area, which Ferdinand and Fowles were at if I'm not mistaken. Miami area had some crazy some talent over the years.

Ferdinand was a stud. LSU had some really potent teams back in the day. Obviously the "glory era" was from 2005-2008 when they had several championship caliber teams but couldn't get the job done:
2004-lost on last minute bucket to Tennessee
2005-#1 overall seed, lost a 15? point lead in the semis to eventual champion, Baylor. Lineup had POY Augustus, Fowles and Temeka Johnson

2006-Had Fowles/Augustus and were a #1 seed that eeked into the Final Four over a good Stanford team. Got throttled by Duke in the Final Four.

2007-Was the Fowles show and she dominated the regional finals vs. UCONN. Got throttled in the Final Four to a hot Rutgers team.

2008-Made the Final Four once again, lost on a last second putback by Tennessee's Alexis Hornbuckle. Tennessee went on to handily beat Stanford. IIRC, LSU graduated all notable players after that year besides Hightower and it was downhill after that.

Going forward I think LSU is in a tough spot since Mississippi State and Baylor have emerged as elite programs and both can compete regionally for recruits. A lot can change but I don't see LSU becoming an elite team anytime soon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Count me in as one who thinks McCowan will be great. Her improvement in college was impressive. Many point to her progress from freshman to junior year, but between junior and senior years, she scored as many points on 100 fewer shots. She also didn't foul out once her senior year. She also hits the 15-footer pretty well, she just doesn't hang out in the high post that often.
During the W season she's also made great progress. Fouls are down, rebounds are up. Blocks are down, too, though, but that may indicate that opponents are avoiding going at her.
As the saying goes, you can't teach size. She just takes up so much space, she's so strong, and she's (despite what some say) in great shape. Her skills are improving at a significant rate. She also has a great demeanor -- she's got some fire, but she doesn't let it turn into a chip on a shoulder.
Pure urban legend that McCowan can take and consistently make a 10 foot shot much less a 15 footer.
Regarding "can't teach size" a few years back there were similar proclamation about the #2 overall pick (Aliana Coates) having a WNBA frame and the size to dominate. Amazing that this thread and the biggin up of MCowan came after a game in which her team lost to the NY Liberty. Just in case anyone is wondering who is keeping McCowan from greatness or starting, it is 35 years old Candice Dupree and Natalie Achonwa. The Fever should start McCowan and have her realize all this potential instead of having Candice log 30 minutes per night.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Pure urban legend that McCowan can take and consistently make a 10 foot shot much less a 15 footer.
Regarding "can't teach size" a few years back there were similar proclamation about the #2 overall pick (Aliana Coates) having a WNBA frame and the size to dominate. Amazing that this thread and the biggin up of MCowan came after a game in which her team lost to the NY Liberty. Just in case anyone is wondering who is keeping McCowan from greatness or starting, it is 35 years old Candice Dupree and Natalie Achonwa. The Fever should start McCowan and have her realize all this potential instead of having Candice log 30 minutes per night.

1. Very first video when you search her name on youtube. 25 second mark:

You must not have seen much of Mississippi State this last year. She can hit the midrange shot and did on numerous occasions. Not urban legend.

2. Im not sure anyone ever used the phrase "cant teach size" with Coates. And comparing her to Coates makes zero sense. She's 6-3. McCowan is 6-7. McCowan has already made a much greater impact that Coates has in her 2 years. And no one thought Coates would dominate.

3. McCowan has been talked about with high praise on this board all WNBA season, particularly in the WNBA thread and ROY thread. Suggest you read those.

4. Everyone (on multiple boards) has criticized Pokey for not starting McCowan.

5. And while it isnt a perfect comparison but a MUCH better one than Coates, I'll point out that Fowles in her last 8 games is averaging 11.4 points and 7.1 rebounds while her team has gone 3-5. Big T during that stretch has averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds (on 56.6% shooting no less) with a 3-5 record.

Still disrespectful?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I love that video. That's one of my favorite fan-made videos of State with some sick music. That Oregon game was real fun. Should prove how difficult it is to play in Starkville.

Teaira McCowan is good. Screw that randomly brought up outlier assists stat I don't care about.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I love that video. That's one of my favorite fan-made videos of State with some sick music. That Oregon game was real fun. Should prove how difficult it is to play in Starkville.

Teaira McCowan is good. Screw that randomly brought up outlier assists stat I don't care about.
One game doesn't prove much other than what happened in that one game.

Or alternatively, maybe Mizzou proved how easy it is to play in Starkville.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
One game doesn't prove much other than what happened in that one game.

Or alternatively, maybe Mizzou proved how easy it is to play in Starkville.

Is there any way I can make a lazy statement on this forum without you trying to prove some point back to me?

Reaction Score
2004-lost on last minute bucket to Tennessee
2005-#1 overall seed, lost a 15? point lead in the semis to eventual champion, Baylor. Lineup had POY Augustus, Fowles and Temeka Johnson

2006-Had Fowles/Augustus and were a #1 seed that eeked into the Final Four over a good Stanford team. Got throttled by Duke in the Final Four.

2007-Was the Fowles show and she dominated the regional finals vs. UCONN. Got throttled in the Final Four to a hot Rutgers team.

2008-Made the Final Four once again, lost on a last second putback by Tennessee's Alexis Hornbuckle. Tennessee went on to handily beat Stanford. IIRC, LSU graduated all notable players after that year besides Hightower and it was downhill after that.

Man this is depressing to relive being so close lol

We seemed to lack that killer instinct once we hit the final four. I really thought that was one of our best chances in 2005 but we screwed it up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2. Im not sure anyone ever used the phrase "cant teach size" with Coates. And comparing her to Coates makes zero sense. She's 6-3. McCowan is 6-7. McCowan has already made a much greater impact that Coates has in her 2 years. And no one thought Coates would dominate.

Coates isn't a truly horrible pick but out of all of the first rounders I see her as the likely first one out. It's true you can't teach size but that's always seemed to be her most proficient skill, being tall and in the way and she's not going to be able to rely on that anymore.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
4. Everyone (on multiple boards) has criticized Pokey for not starting McCowan.
Everyone doesn't count. Pokey is coaching a professional team where her job depends on winning. If she though starting McCowan would help her win games then McCowan would be starting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
3. McCowan has been talked about with high praise on this board all WNBA season, particularly in the WNBA thread and ROY thread. Suggest you read those.
:eek: I guess in some circles 7 of 99 votes might be considered "high praise".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
5. And while it isnt a perfect comparison but a MUCH better one than Coates, I'll point out that Fowles in her last 8 games is averaging 11.4 points and 7.1 rebounds while her team has gone 3-5. Big T during that stretch has averaged 12.5 points and 9.4 rebounds (on 56.6% shooting no less) with a 3-5 record.
Convenient that you should mention the Fever's last 8 games and not the 4 prior to that which were all loses & games in which McCowan started. Pokey is clearly not as inept as you would have us believe. Pokey is smart enough to know that when McCowan starts the Fever's chances of winning go down.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Like i said, comparing McCowan to Coates makes zero sense. And no one thought she would be a dominant player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom