OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

Reaction Score
Did you have pretend to like the coffee?
Lol I had worked at other independent coffee shops previously with much better coffee. Starbucks paid better and had benefits.

Reaction Score
I wanted to share here, I'll try to keep it brief but I'm coaching hoops again, middle school in my district.

Background, my 3rd district in 4 years - through no fault of my own. Amongst 35 laid off in a CT district budget disaster, did a year in an urban school in MA and with my resume became a free agent and became able to choose my destination essentially at that point. I picked a nice small district in MA, 20 minute commute - I drive around a lake at sunrise every day. So, I finally found my spot there.

I hadn't coached hoops in the past 2 years, and in doing that my name is cold and especially out here in MA no one knows who I am. The varsity coach @ the high school where I work who I've become friendly with asked me if I'd coach the middle school team. He was super respectful like, I know you've coached high school before and some guys could care less about middle school, but if you're interested I'll get it for you.

I figured if I ever really want to coach at the varsity level again, really make another 10-15 year run somewhere. I'm gonna have to prove it doing something like that, because no one cares if you're an AAU coach.

I have coached for 15 years. Mostly high school, varsity, varsity assistant, and a unique co-coaching situation with my mentor after he had stroke. Coached a kid 15 years ago who ended up going D-1 and plays in Europe. Through the 15 years probably had double digit kids who played D-3. Coached a group from 6th - 12th grade who had more State tournament success than any group in school history. Coached a game @ Mohegan Sun. Two straight conference championship games (lost both unfortunately) since Covid. I understand, this is the equivalent of saying that I had a hot girlfriend at camp last summer. I am proud of those things. They're cool, they're not amazing, I've done some cool stuff but I do not think I'm Coach K or anything. I am just one of a million basketball coaches who thinks he teaches it the right way (we all do don't we?)

My point with that is, I don't think I'm cocky I just think I am super confident with how I approach teaching the game. I am content in my professional situation, home life is great, my wife is all for this. I'm just gonna go absolutely 150% all in to this middle school thing. Gonna teach Pack Line defense 70% of the practice, 10% dribbling drills, 10% shooting - they need to shoot every day, focused shooting, and teach them either a simple Flex or a motion the other 10%.

Part of my philosophy is that Shell Drill literally teaches you the game of basketball. Following those rules, and creating those defensive instincts day in and day out, almost making it muscle memory or rote memory leads to a confident approach - often easy layups, fast breaks and open shots. Once those shots start to go in, and the offense seems "easy" - you have the confidence to use those skills you've been working on. You start to see that 10-12 foot jumper go through, a few layups.. Now you're moving off the ball, got a little extra burst because the blood is flowing. It all connects.

I'm curious to see what others think about that 70/10/10/10 percentage split I mentioned.

So yeah, in short, there's four 7th graders who could be DAMN good high school players, a few 8th graders who might have something, so why the hell not. I'm not gonna half ass this, I'm just gonna teach teach teach teach, not fall into the trap of trying to be the smartest guy in the roon with 20 plays that the kids don't even understand.

I haven't cared about coaching in a while, I really thought I was done. This could easily blow up in my face by game 4 if some parent doesn't think their kid is playing enough and that crap takes over. I am just praying for a chance to do this and keep that messy crap to a minimum.

Thank you for reading my rant, I apologize.

Reaction Score
I wanted to share here, I'll try to keep it brief but I'm coaching hoops again, middle school in my district.

Background, my 3rd district in 4 years - through no fault of my own. Amongst 35 laid off in a CT district budget disaster, did a year in an urban school in MA and with my resume became a free agent and became able to choose my destination essentially at that point. I picked a nice small district in MA, 20 minute commute - I drive around a lake at sunrise every day. So, I finally found my spot there.

I hadn't coached hoops in the past 2 years, and in doing that my name is cold and especially out here in MA no one knows who I am. The varsity coach @ the high school where I work who I've become friendly with asked me if I'd coach the middle school team. He was super respectful like, I know you've coached high school before and some guys could care less about middle school, but if you're interested I'll get it for you.

I figured if I ever really want to coach at the varsity level again, really make another 10-15 year run somewhere. I'm gonna have to prove it doing something like that, because no one cares if you're an AAU coach.

I have coached for 15 years. Mostly high school, varsity, varsity assistant, and a unique co-coaching situation with my mentor after he had stroke. Coached a kid 15 years ago who ended up going D-1 and plays in Europe. Through the 15 years probably had double digit kids who played D-3. Coached a group from 6th - 12th grade who had more State tournament success than any group in school history. Coached a game @ Mohegan Sun. Two straight conference championship games (lost both unfortunately) since Covid. I understand, this is the equivalent of saying that I had a hot girlfriend at camp last summer. I am proud of those things. They're cool, they're not amazing, I've done some cool stuff but I do not think I'm Coach K or anything. I am just one of a million basketball coaches who thinks he teaches it the right way (we all do don't we?)

My point with that is, I don't think I'm cocky I just think I am super confident with how I approach teaching the game. I am content in my professional situation, home life is great, my wife is all for this. I'm just gonna go absolutely 150% all in to this middle school thing. Gonna teach Pack Line defense 70% of the practice, 10% dribbling drills, 10% shooting - they need to shoot every day, focused shooting, and teach them either a simple Flex or a motion the other 10%.

Part of my philosophy is that Shell Drill literally teaches you the game of basketball. Following those rules, and creating those defensive instincts day in and day out, almost making it muscle memory or rote memory leads to a confident approach - often easy layups, fast breaks and open shots. Once those shots start to go in, and the offense seems "easy" - you have the confidence to use those skills you've been working on. You start to see that 10-12 foot jumper go through, a few layups.. Now you're moving off the ball, got a little extra burst because the blood is flowing. It all connects.

I'm curious to see what others think about that 70/10/10/10 percentage split I mentioned.

So yeah, in short, there's four 7th graders who could be DAMN good high school players, a few 8th graders who might have something, so why the hell not. I'm not gonna half ass this, I'm just gonna teach teach teach teach, not fall into the trap of trying to be the smartest guy in the roon with 20 plays that the kids don't even understand.

I haven't cared about coaching in a while, I really thought I was done. This could easily blow up in my face by game 4 if some parent doesn't think their kid is playing enough and that crap takes over. I am just praying for a chance to do this and keep that messy crap to a minimum.

Your head is in the right place, but you'll probably lose middle schoolers if you're practicing defense 70% of the practice. Unless you're including your small-sided games or scrimmages in that too? I'm imagining a practice of 70% shell drills and kids revolting, lol.

Good thing is you can be practicing your defense while also working on skills.mm full-court dribbling drills, pass and cut... whatever.

MS kids want as much competition as possible. They have the attention soan of stale donuts. Have a winner in shooting drills, defense drills, everything if you want them hooked.

Be prepared for 90% of opponents to play exclusively 2-3 zone and full-court press because they suck at coaching and don't want kids to develop actual skills. I'd prioritize a really basic zone offense over a motion offense if you had to pick one.

Does the high school coach run pack? If they're forcing baseline it might be worth teaching that but otherwise using pack principles.

Reaction Score

I'm now in my tenth? year of middle school coaching at a small international middle school where a small minority of my players play basketball outside of school or watch any basketball, so obviously I have a very different context than you.

That being said, I don't have games until January, so my 50 minute practices, 2x a week are I'd say 50% skill building (including defense), 30% BBIQ (shell drill; motion-ish type movement either 5-out of 4-out; 4-on-3 halfcourt "scrimmages" where the 3 defenders work on help defense and aren't allowed to guard a specific player) and then 20% open scrimmage.

I also talk about non-negotiables: be a good teammate; be prepared; put in a strong effort at all times. I love this, because one of my most "skilled" players is a stare-at-the-ground overdribbler with the worst conditioning on the team and can't play a lick of defense. Softer than Armando Bacot. I've already told him "just to let you know, I'll probably start you, but the way you are playing, I doubt you can handle two or three minutes on the court at a time".

My best non-basketball players are usually the high-IQ soccer players (most of our kids are excellent soccer players) who know how to cut, find open space, and move without the ball without any plays drawn up. They make our motion offense sing. With the way my roster is set up, I'll probably have two of my four knowledgable basketball players on at all times, and then two high-IQ soccer players and then sprinkle in some of the duds (I've got three out of 13) who will only earn playing time if they at least fake that they are trying on defense.

Reaction Score
Your head is in the right place, but you'll probably lose middle schoolers if you're practicing defense 70% of the practice. Unless you're including your small-sided games or scrimmages in that too? I'm imagining a practice of 70% shell drills and kids revolting, lol.

Good thing is you can be practicing your defense while also working on skills.mm full-court dribbling drills, pass and cut... whatever.

MS kids want as much competition as possible. They have the attention soan of stale donuts. Have a winner in shooting drills, defense drills, everything if you want them hooked.

Be prepared for 90% of opponents to play exclusively 2-3 zone and full-court press because they suck at coaching and don't want kids to develop actual skills. I'd prioritize a really basic zone offense over a motion offense if you had to pick one.

Does the high school coach run pack? If they're forcing baseline it might be worth teaching that but otherwise using pack principles.
When I coached girls basketball, the 2-3 was literally all we faced. We needed a press break, a 2-3 offense, and that was about it for the offensive end. It was so easy—even with a mediocre team—to rack up wins teaching tough MTM defense and mixing it up with an occasional 1-3-1 after timeouts because I knew the opposing coaches would have no idea how to run against it.

Reaction Score
My best non-basketball players are usually the high-IQ soccer players (most of our kids are excellent soccer players) who know how to cut, find open space, and move without the ball without any plays drawn up. They make our motion offense sing.
I had a junior come out because her friend begged her. Excellent soccer player. Took her half a season to be a starter. High motor. High intelligence. Very coachable. Low BB skills, but a dog on defense and a very good cutter/passer. I just thought how sad it was that she came to basketball so late. I think she genuinely could have played at college if she got into the sport sooner.

She ended up going to Brown and did a "sport" there: sailing. I think that gives you a sense of the type of students I generally work with. lol

Reaction Score
When I coached girls basketball, the 2-3 was literally all we faced. We needed a press break, a 2-3 offense, and that was about it for the offensive end. It was so easy—even with a mediocre team—to rack up wins teaching tough MTM defense and mixing it up with an occasional 1-3-1 after timeouts because I knew the opposing coaches would have no idea how to run against it.

I really don't know much about the girls game, but for the boys, it's SUCH a disservice to run the 2-3 zone constantly the way they do. By varsity basketball, you have at least 3 guys most years who can penetrate and shoot over a zone. It's helpful in stints, but the teams who use a 2-3 zone as their base defense are getting their asses kicked most nights and just using it to not get blown out.

As a varsity coach, you need as many kids as possible who can help baseline, stunt on the perimeter, communicate switches, hedge, etc. 2-3 extra years of learning those skills in middle school puts them WAY ahead of many of their peers when they reach freshman basketball. It's excruciating trying to teach help defense--what should have been a habit years ago!

My first year coaching JV basketball, I took a group who only one a single game as freshman running a 2-3, and with the exact same kids went something like 13-4. I didn't do a single thing different on offense. I barely ran any plays, just 4-out pass and screen away and a basic zone offense. I told the kids 100% of your playing time is based on how you defend in man-to-man and we practiced defense constantly. They went 19-5 as seniors playing varsity, I believe.

Side note: My zone offense is awesome. If anyone wants me to draw it up, shoot me a DM and I'll send it.

Reaction Score
I had a junior come out because her friend begged her. Excellent soccer player. Took her half a season to be a starter. High motor. High intelligence. Very coachable. Low BB skills, but a dog on defense and a very good cutter/passer. I just thought how sad it was that she came to basketball so late. I think she genuinely could have played at college if she got into the sport sooner.

She ended up going to Brown and did a "sport" there: sailing. I think that gives you a sense of the type of students I generally work with. lol
Honestly, from the sound of it, I wouldn't be surprised if my kids matriculate to your high school after they graduate from eighth grade.

Reaction Score
Honestly, from the sound of it, I wouldn't be surprised if my kids matriculate to your high school after they graduate from eighth grade.
Unlikely simply because I work in the Boston area. But seems like similar demographcs then.

Reaction Score
I really don't know much about the girls game, but for the boys, it's SUCH a disservice to run the 2-3 zone constantly the way they do. By varsity basketball, you have at least 3 guys most years who can penetrate and shoot over a zone. It's helpful in stints, but the teams who use a 2-3 zone as their base defense are getting their asses kicked most nights and just using it to not get blown out.
Yeah, my position was that owe were training them to be the best basketball players they could be—the wins would come later. If you chase the cheap wins with gimmicks, you lose the bigger games. Took a little buy in, but they figured it out.

I haven't coached in a few years (last year was pre-Covid). Our league was pretty bad, so other coaches could get away with some of this stuff. Our best 3pt shooter was shooting like 25%. Most of our perimeter players were hovering around 15-20%. Most didn't have the arm strength to reach the rim without their form breaking down.

But, yeah, I think relying on the zone because you want wins is a huge detriment to the players.

Reaction Score
Yeah, my position was that owe were training them to be the best basketball players they could be—the wins would come later. If you chase the cheap wins with gimmicks, you lose the bigger games. Took a little buy in, but they figured it out.

I haven't coached in a few years (last year was pre-Covid). Our league was pretty bad, so other coaches could get away with some of this stuff. Our best 3pt shooter was shooting like 25%. Most of our perimeter players were hovering around 15-20%. Most didn't have the arm strength to reach the rim without their form breaking down.

But, yeah, I think relying on the zone because you want wins is a huge detriment to the players.

Love it. I'm sure your old players and their coaches appreciate the investment you made.

Reaction Score
Coaching this winter has been an unmitigated disaster...

In MA, if numbers are low at the high school, they are allowed to take 8th graders.

So, my 2 best 8th graders were taken (one of which is 6'2" / 6'3"ish and dunks with ease)... Leaving me with... Not much....

Now, my 2 best 8th graders are about as good as everyone else's 5th or 6th best...

We have lost 2 games by 50, including last night when the coach put his starters back out on the floor with 2 minutes to go and they proceeded to hit a 3 with about 10 seconds left to get it to 50... We can't run an offense, I put in the simplest motion that I used to use like 15 years ago - mess it up every time. Defense is a bit better, but no matter how long we do shell drill, kids still turn their backs on the ball, no help side, no pinching lanes closed.

...all I can do is sit there and take it...

A younger me would have refused to shake the guy's hand last night, or given him the ol' hard handshake and lean in, "never do that to my again my man...." I'm older and wiser, but god this is brutal.

The parents don't complain at all, the 7th grade group is quite talented, but they're just so little. Every team we play is faster, bigger, and stronger. All I can really do is treat it like rec, run hockey shifts and just make sure everyone gets fair time out there.

My basketball ego is nearly completely deflated at this point. I've won conference championships in CT, coached a game at Mohegan Sun, coached D-1s, 2s, and 3s..

This was supposed to be my chance to make my resume current again, then go for HS varsity jobs this summer - but god, I don't even enjoy coaching that much anymore after this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Teachers, just doing some research on our contractual salary vs. inflation. Our purchasing power is sure eroding recently. I'd guess most teachers have similar experiences. As we watch our purchasing power decrease, what are teachers experiencing? Acceptance, lack of awareness, anger? Are new contracts making up for this loss? ... certainly not the two recent ones that I have followed, where anticipated mid 2% raises were celebrated and will likely match future inflation, but will not help gain back lost ground.

For one specific example, the chart below compares the contractual salary in my district vs applying the actual Social Security Administration COLA percent increases over the last decade (they try to account for inflation). I happened to choose top step (13), 6th year, as the information was readily available, and this is a step where a teacher likely could spend the last 20 years or so of their career. I'm not arguing whether or not teachers make too little or too much ... rather my position is that our raises should keep pace with inflation. Surely a defensible position.

1705413029862.png

By the way, I also compared our pay increases to inflation (the Consumer Price Index) and both the Private and Government Employees Cost Indexes (shows percent growth in pay) ... they show very similar results.

Any shared concern out there? I'm interest in others' views here. I certainly respect a lot of the opinions that I've seen from Boneyard teachers.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Teachers, just doing some research on our contractual salary vs. inflation. Our purchasing power is sure eroding recently. I'd guess most teachers have similar experiences. As we watch our purchasing power decrease, what are teachers experiencing? Acceptance, lack of awareness, anger? Are new contracts making up for this loss? ... certainly not the two recent ones that I have followed, where anticipated mid 2% raises were celebrated and will likely match future inflation, but will not help gain back lost ground.

For one specific example, the chart below compares the contractual salary in my district vs applying the actual Social Security Administration COLA percent increases over the last decade (they try to account for inflation). I happened to choose top step (13), 6th year, as the information was readily available, and this is a step where a teacher likely could spend the last 20 years or so of their career. I'm not arguing whether or not teachers make too little or too much ... rather my position is that our raises should keep pace with inflation. Surely a defensible position.

View attachment 95248

By the way, I also compared our pay increases to inflation (the Consumer Price Index) and both the Private and Government Employees Cost Indexes (shows percent growth in pay) ... they show very similar results.

Any shared concern out there? I'm interest in others' views here. I certainly respect a lot of the opinions that I've seen from Boneyard teachers.

6th year is your top step?

Reaction Score

View attachment 95248

Teachers unions are negotiating pretty aggressively right now (not generally in line with inflation, but better than before). I'm 6th-year top step and IIRC our last contract is 3.5% a year increase for 3 years. Purchasing power is definitely decreasing. One of many reasons why people are leaving teaching.

109,000 for 6th year top step is pretty good. Average is around 95-100k outside of FFC.

Reaction Score
I'm in my 16th year teaching with Masters and Dual Credit credentialing from Indiana University in Indiana. I just passed $56,000 this year.

Reaction Score
I'm in my 16th year teaching with Masters and Dual Credit credentialing from Indiana University in Indiana. I just passed $56,000 this year.
Where are you teaching? Sounds like you may be in a very low cost state which doesn't prioritize education.

If that were the pay scale in Connecticut for similar credentials you'd have almost nobody willing to be a teacher.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That is wild. I was making that in year two in East Hartford and that was like 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
Teachers are important and I keep reading about teachers shortages. I am not a teacher but I have frieands that are teachers and retired teachers. I can still remember teachers that had a positive influence on my life so many years ago.

Teachers area penalized by WEP, whereby teachers' SS benefits earned in jobs totally outside of teaching, are reduced, unlike just about for anybody else. Not an incentive to go into teaching.

Below is from an NEA (albeit, a pro teacher source) but I believe is factually accurate (it is my understanding, the mentioned law has bi-partisan support):

"The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) reduces the Social Security benefits of people whose work history includes both jobs covered and not covered by Social Security. That would include educators in states where public employees don’t pay into Social Security who take on part-time or summer jobs to make ends meet.

WEP has done financial harm to generations of retirees. Fortunately, there are members of Congress who understand that educators should keep the retirement security they earned in jobs they held outside of education. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA) introduced the Public Servants Protection and Fairness Act to lessen the impacts of WEP and protect educators. If that bill becomes law, current retirees would receive an extra $150 a month and future retirees would gain an extra $75 a month, on average"

Reaction Score
Where are you teaching? Sounds like you may be in a very low cost state which doesn't prioritize education.

If that were the pay scale in Connecticut for similar credentials you'd have almost nobody willing to be a teacher.

I am in upstate Indiana. Near Notre Dame. I started teaching in 2008 for about $36,000. So in 16 years of teaching I only have received $20,000 in additional teacher pay.

Yes Indiana doesn't value education. We have vouchers for private schools and in 2012 they devalued raises for teachers. Basically bringing the whole payscale down. Unless you were top at that time, you are getting screwed every additional year you teach.

Reaction Score
Teachers are important and I keep reading about teachers shortages. I am not a teacher but I have frieands that are teachers and retired teachers. I can still remember teachers that had a positive influence on my life so many years ago.

Teachers area penalized by WEP, whereby teachers' SS benefits earned in jobs totally outside of teaching, are reduced, unlike just about for anybody else. Not an incentive to go into teaching.

Below is from an NEA (albeit, a pro teacher source) but I believe is factually accurate (it is my understanding, the mentioned law has bi-partisan support):

"The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) reduces the Social Security benefits of people whose work history includes both jobs covered and not covered by Social Security. That would include educators in states where public employees don’t pay into Social Security who take on part-time or summer jobs to make ends meet.

WEP has done financial harm to generations of retirees. Fortunately, there are members of Congress who understand that educators should keep the retirement security they earned in jobs they held outside of education. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA) introduced the Public Servants Protection and Fairness Act to lessen the impacts of WEP and protect educators. If that bill becomes law, current retirees would receive an extra $150 a month and future retirees would gain an extra $75 a month, on average"

Teachers in CT don't collect any social security assuming you stay for a career. Other states are a bit more generous iirc. IMO in CT it's not a disincentive though. Our retirement system for teaching is solid if you put in 30 years. If you're under 20, it's crap.

I'm not convinced SS will look very good when I retire, so I'm not really complaining. I'll collect 70% of my pay with COLA for life assuming my wife doesn't off me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is wild. I was making that in year two in East Hartford and that was like 10 years ago.

I make more than my in-laws in NC combined and they have 6 and 28 years experience.

Yes... he is 50 and she's 26. Yes... he was her HS physics teacher. Bit of an awkward wedding. I really should write a story like August about this one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll collect 70% of my pay with COLA for life assuming my wife doesn't off me.
I think that's excellent. What's the retirement age you are basing that on? How many years in the system?

Reaction Score
Wife is in education -- I really don't know how teachers put up with everything involved with teaching -- most notably dealing with 20-25 kids everyday for 7+ hours. Add in all the curriculum nonsense/constant changes -- e.g. all the elements that are outside of the core subjects.... education is in a bad spot -- just too many people trying to pull educators in too many directions. Good luck .

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m in admin now (not evil I promise!) and our contract is up this year. Interested to see how salary looks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom