OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

Reaction Score
We leave Saturday for Acadia, then Portland.

Once my wife comes out of her school year coma, she starts scheduling us for music festivals.
Nice, we’re heading to Acadia on Saturday too. Already hit Killington VT for mtb/camping, and have a few more trips planned up to Kingdom Trails VT for some biking and beveraging.

I’ve seen some discussion of teacher pay in this thread. Most of our staff is maxing out just north of $100k (lots of MA + 6 years). I don’t hate that, but what kind of stinks is that just as most of my 50-something corporate friends are really starting to make money and inflation is high, we’re getting 1.125% raises. My purchasing power is well below that of a few years ago. I’m eager to see some contracts demand decent raises, or go to arbitration to get them. I’ve not been involved in contract negotiations, but hopefully contracts are being compared to other workers with similar degrees, not just other districts that have been happy with the small raises.

To those who just got AP scores today, I hope they brought happiness.

Reaction Score
Lol, I hear ya. Was just pointing out some of the absurd salary scales in Westchester.

You’d actually be surprised the number of teachers in my district that are all working towards MA+60 credits to max out the scale. Very affordable, but certainly time consuming, options to get there for us since we don’t need to be working towards an additional degree for the credits to be approved. I’ve worked my way up to MA+30 in the last 2 years for probably less than $5k. Heck, I’m taking a 3 credit asynchronous online course through Idaho St Univ. for $165 next month.
My fiancée is in the middle of that now (in Rockland, not Westchester) and seems like it's at least 75% of teachers who are doing it. Working on her MA+15 now and her admin certification. Will definitely pay off in the long run but is just so time consuming

Reaction Score
Nice, we’re heading to Acadia on Saturday too. Already hit Killington VT for mtb/camping, and have a few more trips planned up to Kingdom Trails VT for some biking and beveraging.

I’ve seen some discussion of teacher pay in this thread. Most of our staff is maxing out just north of $100k (lots of MA + 6 years). I don’t hate that, but what kind of stinks is that just as most of my 50-something corporate friends are really starting to make money and inflation is high, we’re getting 1.125% raises. My purchasing power is well below that of a few years ago. I’m eager to see some contracts demand decent raises, or go to arbitration to get them. I’ve not been involved in contract negotiations, but hopefully contracts are being compared to other workers with similar degrees, not just other districts that have been happy with the small raises.

To those who just got AP scores today, I hope they brought happiness.

Fwiw... have done contract negotiations in my old districts. NO ONE wants arbitration. It's expensive and you end up getting a fraction of what you want.

My understanding is that the last 2 years, most districts have had some pretty successful negotiations. Teacher shortages are giving the unions some leverage. Got myself a nice 5k pay bump at Step 13 here.

Reaction Score
For teachers working abroad and other teachers thinking about it, be careful with the schools you pick, it can be a minefield. I am in a tough position where they have refused my summer pay. It didn't stop there because now they are refusing to write me a recommendation letter after I worked with them for 3.5 years because I've been fighting for my summer pay.

I already had my vacation planned and paid for so, despite having less savings than I anticipated, I am taking the vacation and going to enjoy it no matter what. But this September will be tough. A badly run international school can really hurt teachers in various ways. After about two weeks of back and forth with admin I recovered some of what I deserved but I am still out 2500 euros and a recommendation letter, which really stinks.

Reaction Score
@Dove and @twiceahusky when you're up in Acadia I highly recommend Bar Harbor Lobster Bakes. Just three miles north of downtown, so the crowds are smaller, and you have an incredible view of Frenchman Bay. Great, simply prepared food and awesome staff.
Fwiw... have done contract negotiations in my old districts. NO ONE wants arbitration. It's expensive and you end up getting a fraction of what you want.

My understanding is that the last 2 years, most districts have had some pretty successful negotiations. Teacher shortages are giving the unions some leverage. Got myself a nice 5k pay bump at Step 13 here.
That's one benefit of teaching in private schools, contract negotiations have way less red tape: just book an appointment with the Head of School and talk it over.

Of course, the pay is less than most public schools in the area, though (I make about 10k less than my respective step in a system like Stamford, but more than Westport, which is a surprisingly low paying district comparative to their wealth.

Reaction Score
Of course, the pay is less than most public schools in the area, though (I make about 10k less than my respective step in a system like Stamford, but more than Westport, which is a surprisingly low paying district comparative to their wealth.

There are always some rich districts that have crappy pay scales. I'm assuming they figure they'll get by on reputation and staff not wanting to leave because they have tenure.

Something else people don't consider is the rich districts will rarely bump you up a step when you're hired. One of the things they do in the budgeting process is decide what their average step hire needs to be. (Ie. We need to hire an average of step 3 across the district or else our bottom line goes into the red. So they save the high-step hires for SPED, math, science) In those districts, if you're supposed to be on step 6... you're being hired on step 6. In my district right now, we're hiring brand new SPED, science, math teachers on step 4+ just to get them in the door and try to keep them a few years. Even then, a lot of our new teachers are leaving for a huge pay decrease.

I started my career in one of those rich districts with low pay and got something like an 8k pay raise to go work in the hood. I absolutely hated working in that rich district--I will never go back to a wealthy school system if I can help it (though I did just apply to Farmington... so I'm a liar). The entitlement, helicopter parents... ugh. I can deal with any kid--rich or poor--screaming profanities in my face or vaping in the bathroom or whatever. I can't do the "my father is an attorney!" crap. It's not fair to them, but I have little patience for exceptionally privileged people crying foul, so I need to a void those environments.

Anyways... 2 years later, I apply for a dean of students job in my current district.... no admin cert is required, but they really wanted it because you have to do suspensions. Figured it was worth the shot and admin anyways. 30 minutes later, they call me offering sixth-year, step 13 to work as an instructional coach. Wasn't even the job I applied for and I got a 30k pay raise. And ironically, by November they have me moonlighting as a dean anyways because they don't have enough admin to do all the suspensions and restorative justice stuff.

Reaction Score
For teachers working abroad and other teachers thinking about it, be careful with the schools you pick, it can be a minefield. I am in a tough position where they have refused my summer pay. It didn't stop there because now they are refusing to write me a recommendation letter after I worked with them for 3.5 years because I've been fighting for my summer pay.

I already had my vacation planned and paid for so, despite having less savings than I anticipated, I am taking the vacation and going to enjoy it no matter what. But this September will be tough. A badly run international school can really hurt teachers in various ways. After about two weeks of back and forth with admin I recovered some of what I deserved but I am still out 2500 euros and a recommendation letter, which really stinks.

You were in the Balkans, if I remember?

Reaction Score
I mowed the front and back lawn this morning and almost died of heat exhaustion - GO SUMMER
Come On Please GIF by NBA

Reaction Score
I’m a speech therapist but have only worked in hospitals; however, surely there’s always opportunity to switch things up and start with kids. All this talk of vacations and doing nothing for 12 weeks at a time sounds amazing. Also my cousin is a teacher, went to Switzerland over spring break, and is now on a multi-week trip through Italy.

Do your respective speech therapists seem happy doing what they do in CT?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@Dove and @twiceahusky when you're up in Acadia I highly recommend Bar Harbor Lobster Bakes. Just three miles north of downtown, so the crowds are smaller, and you have an incredible view of Frenchman Bay. Great, simply prepared food and awesome staff.

That's one benefit of teaching in private schools, contract negotiations have way less red tape: just book an appointment with the Head of School and talk it over.

Will check out this Bakes joint today.

Reaction Score
Will check out this Bakes joint today.
How'd you like it?

I was back two weeks ago, kids were back on Tuesday. Nice start to the year and we head off to an annual two-night camping trip (in cabins) this week.

Usually the trip is a C+ to B experience, depending on the kids, but we'll be going in the thick of the heat wave. Thankfully, it looks like where we'll be will be a little drier and cooler at night than here in CT, but still it's going to be ripe.

Reaction Score
How'd you like it?

I was back two weeks ago, kids were back on Tuesday. Nice start to the year and we head off to an annual two-night camping trip (in cabins) this week.

Usually the trip is a C+ to B experience, depending on the kids, but we'll be going in the thick of the heat wave. Thankfully, it looks like where we'll be will be a little drier and cooler at night than here in CT, but still it's going to be ripe.

You're a braver man than me. I tapped out on overnight field trips a while ago.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How'd you like it?

Had chowder and lobster Mac and cheese. Will return!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How'd you like it?

My wife just got through first week of kids. As expected, each night was coma-inducing. Prior to kids arriving, many teachers quit.

Here we go!

Reaction Score
Prior to kids arriving, many teachers quit.

Unfortunately pretty much par for the course outside of the best districts. There's not much incentive for new teachers to stick around working in the hood like I do.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow is my first day back with students. It’s also my older son’s first day of kindergarten and my younger sons first ever day of day care. Usually I’m a little nervous for my first day back with students but it’s not even on my mind this year.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow is my first day back with students. It’s also my older son’s first day of kindergarten and my younger sons first ever day of day care. Usually I’m a little nervous for my first day back with students but it’s not even on my mind this year.
Well, you made it through on the first one... My wife pretty much retired from the work force when our first got to about 3 weeks of day care....about 29 years ago. Good luck!

Reaction Score
Today will be the first day with YONDR pounches, I guess that like 10-20 schools in MA are the pilot program. Phones go in the pouch and it LOCKS when they walk in the building - unlocks when they walk out of the building at 2.

Magical.

In theory.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm curious if emotional support animals are a thing yet in any of your schools?

Reaction Score
I'm curious if emotional support animals are a thing yet in any of your schools?

If anyone needs an emotional support animal, it's me. Have you met these kids?

(And as far as I understand only actually service dogs are allowed if part of an IEP, no emotional support ferrets)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom