Te'a Cooper Verbal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Te'a Cooper Verbal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can you explain these two statements: "There are a lot of equally talented coaches but no one is recruiting at Geno's level " which seems to indicate that UConn is on top because they're getting the best players and " I do think Geno is the top coach right now" which seems to indicate that UConn is on top because Geno is the top coach and they may or may not have the top talent. To me, they are inconsistent.

I guess I'm wishy washy. Sorry for the confusion. I believe other coaches are at the level Geno is in terms of knowing what it takes to get to that top level. Muffet, Tara, and Jeff Walz come to mind. However, Geno is the best by way of the most success and that is where my statement from recruiting being the biggest separation point. I believe Jeff could have won if you flipped the players on the court in 2013 is an example. Yes, Geno gets those players to that level but the amount of players that are already at the top level coming in or within the first two years is a result of getting classes with multiple top 5 talents. But that is part of being a great coach... getting top recruits. I am not saying any of this to downplay UConn's success. I was a fan of WCBB before I was a fan of any one team and have maintained a close following of teams like UConn, Stanford, LaTech, and ODU since the early 90's so my opinions do not come from combativeness, they come from interest.

Reaction Score
To clarify, I do realize Muffet, Tara, and Jeff have not got to that top spot in some time but I do believe their coaching talent is there... they just don't have the overall talent to match. Also, to clarify, Pat is the best coach I have ever seen in WCBB and Geno is the best to others. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong but we have both been blessed with legendary coaches.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno isn't just flapping his gums... his track record (current and past) speaks for itself. If a player want to learn from the best of the these days... Geno is the man, I like Jeff as well!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If he stays healthy, Geno will own every record in Mens and Womens BB. Texas LaTech Tenn all had their run however what Geno has done no other coach has come close to. Recruiting is part of it and perhaps other coaches with the same players could make a run but making a run and to continually improve and break his own records is off the charts. I remember when Geno had TASS and coaches said he would never be able to duplicate that and he continues to beat his best. Pat had her day but thats over with. Proof of Genos greatness is teams like Duke and Stanford with all their talent and they havent won a NC. In many cases theyve had more talent then Geno. Tenn has had alot of talent and in many cases out talented their opponets but you could see the game passing Pat by when she lost to teams far less talented and that trend continues. The most memorable and what opened many eyes was Ball St.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
To clarify, I do realize Muffet, Tara, and Jeff have not got to that top spot in some time but I do believe their coaching talent is there... they just don't have the overall talent to match. Also, to clarify, Pat is the best coach I have ever seen in WCBB and Geno is the best to others. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong but we have both been blessed with legendary coaches.
Clearly, it is not or else they would have the same players and success. Coaching as defined in Geno's success is more than practice coaching, it is more than game coaching, it is more than recruiting, it is more than scouting and game planning, it is more than motivational psychology, it is all these and more. It includes organizational skills, it includes management skills, it includes bringing the right people together in staff, it includes public relations, it includes networking, it includes building a brand, it includes institutional politics, it includes schmoozing alumni and fans, it includes media skills, it includes social psychology and it is more than all of this, too.

No one does ALL of this better than Geno/CD. That may be the most important thing in all of what makes Geno the greatest coach. He realized from the beginning or stumbled into it and quickly realized the importance of someone who was the Yin to his Yang. He understood he had limits and found the perfect complementing personality to his own in CD.

No one is as great a coach as Geno because no one has brought the totality of coaching a major college team and program together as consistently as he has and that is why he is the best without argument. Many others have many parts of the puzzle of coaching and are excellent coaches but don't for a moment think any of them are the whole package like Geno is and has assembled. As the saying goes they are playing checkers while he has been playing chess. 9-0 in NC games. One behind Wooden and like Wooden without a loss and one win more than Pat without her 5 losses. Plus the future looks very blue and now Geno and UCONN have upped the ante with the new practice facility. As much as anything coaching is about having a vision and the will to fulfill. Reference my signature line.

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
But that is part of being a great coach... getting top recruits. I am not saying any of this to downplay UConn's success.
It feels like you are, and the background of your home board is a ball and chain on your ankle when you make this argument.

What if I said most of Ms. Summitt's national championships were because she had the best players in a couple of specific time frames, and that's the only thing that really set her apart from several other outstanding coaches?

Would you readily accept that my motive was just elucidation, or would you feel like I was trying to tear her down?

And then suppose I came from a place that routinely claimed she achieved that only real difference by cheating. Would that make you just a tad more suspicious of my motive?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tennessee was 16th in points scored per possession and 26th in points allowed per possession. So comparatively, their offense was better than their defense last year. (on edit) BTW. UConn was first in each category.
If you look at Tennessee's schedule last year, Meighan Simmons was the leading scorer against the better teams, with a few exceptions. Simmons shot 41.6% for the year, which should come as a surprise to her detractors, and she's the one that led the team in scoring vs:

Virginia
Vandy (x2)
Notre Dame
Florida
Texas A&M
LSU
Kentucky (1 of 2 games)
Maryland

If you look at the Tenn site, Simmons was leading scorer or tied high scorer in only 3 of 18 games in the first half of the year, then 11 of 19 games for the remainder of the season. She and Isabelle Harrison appeared to be the go to players down the stretch and now Simmons is gone. Holly Warlick had better come up with a more refined offense than "give the ball to Meighan or Izzy and let them create something".

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
IMO...Tenn is still the cream of the crop in fan support NATIONWIDE, despite not being in a FF or NC game in 6 years...I'm sure people all over the country love UCONN as well but come on..Tenn is America's team lol...like DD said "Theyre the gold bearer of WCB"...but hasn't went to a FF in 6 years :cool:

Like the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you look at Tennessee's schedule last year, Meighan Simmons was the leading scorer against the better teams, with a few exceptions. Simmons shot 41.6% for the year, which should come as a surprise to her detractors, and she's the one that led the team in scoring vs:

Virginia
Vandy (x2)
Notre Dame
Florida
Texas A&M
LSU
Kentucky (1 of 2 games)
Maryland

If you look at the Tenn site, Simmons was leading scorer or tied high scorer in only 3 of 18 games in the first half of the year, then 11 of 19 games for the remainder of the season. She and Isabelle Harrison appeared to be the go to players for most of the year and now Simmons is gone. Holly Warlick had better come up with a more refined offense than "give the ball to Meighan or Izzy and let them create something".

I agree with your analysis of Tennessee's offense. It was especially true in the Maryland game.
It's much more difficult analyzing defensive deficiencies. While rebounding can be quantified, it's difficult to quantify other defensive deficiencies, especially on an individual basis. On a team basis, we have a result, Tennessee was 26th in points allowed per possession.
Was this a result of individual defense deficiencies or a lack of a cohesive team defensive concept ? Or a combination of both ? Using the Maryland game again as an example, I think it was the lack of a good team defensive concept.
Because UConn played in the AAC, a not so strong conference, I calculated their ppp (points per possession), offensively and defensively, for their games played against only top 20 teams (at the time the game was played). in both the regular and post season combined.
In both the regular and post season games, UConn was 1.05 - 0.77 against top 20 teams.
Against all opponents UConn was 1.16 - 0.67
Tennessee was 1.04 - 0.83
Notre Dame was 1.13 - 0.81
There are, generally, around 75 possessions a game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit an analogy of sorts.

The acclaimed Civil War historian (honored often by Pulitzer et al), Bruce Catton, could turn a phrase or capture the very essence of a major issue succinctly. He once summarized the difference betwwen the two illustrious combatants in that great conflict:

"Lee was the last of the great ancient generals. Grant was the first great modern general."

Is there some similarity between Pat and Geno?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clearly, it is not or else they would have the same players and success. Coaching as defined in Geno's success is more than practice coaching, it is more than game coaching, it is more than recruiting, it is more than scouting and game planning, it is more than motivational psychology, it is all these and more. It includes organizational skills, it includes management skills, it includes bringing the right people together in staff, it includes public relations, it includes networking, it includes building a brand, it includes institutional politics, it includes schmoozing alumni and fans, it includes media skills, it includes social psychology and it is more than all of this, too.

No one does all of this better than Geno/CD. That may be the most important thing in all of what makes Geno the greatest coach. He realized from the beginning or stumbled into it and quickly realized the importance of someone who was the Yin to his Yang. He understood he had limits and found the perfect complementing personality to his own in CD.

No one is as great a coach as Geno because no one has brought the totality of coaching a major college team and program together as consistently as he has and that is why he is the best without argument. Many others have many parts of the puzzle of coaching and are excellent coaches but don't for a moment think any of them are the whole package like Geno is and has assembled. As the saying goes they are playing checkers while he has been playing chess. 9-0 in NC games. One behind Wooden and like Wooden without a loss and one win more than Pat without her 5 losses. Plus the future looks very blue and now Geno and UCONN have upped the ante with the new practice facility. As much as anything coaching is about having a vision and the will to fulfill. Reference my signature line.
You really nailed it Ice. Several coaches can compete with Geno in a few of his skills you mentioned, but no one can match him when all of the factors are considered.

Reaction Score
Like Tenn
It feels like you are, and the background of your home board is a ball and chain on your ankle when you make this argument.

What if I said most of Ms. Summitt's national championships were because she had the best players in a couple of specific time frames, and that's the only thing that really set her apart from several other outstanding coaches?

Would you readily accept that my motive was just elucidation, or would you feel like I was trying to tear her down?

And then suppose I came from a place that routinely claimed she achieved that only real difference by cheating. Would that make you just a tad more suspicious of my motive?
If you said that about Ms. Summit i would 100% agree..The team that has the best all-around players....wins the NC...exception: TexasA&M! Like Greg Popavich said "Its not my coaching...its the players I have. I put my best 5 on the court and their basketball instincts take over. Give the credit to my players, not me"

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
C'mon now. You cannot say 1 without the other. It is a combination. Pop and his players make a great combination, not all players can play for Pop, just as not all players can play for Geno. They are both great, great coaches and stand above.

Reaction Score
Good for MS Cooper...........Hopefully, TENN gets a few more players around her.........

Reaction Score

Here is the biggest difference between the words I am saying and the words some of you are saying... I believe my words are an opinion and you believe your words are fact. This is a UConn board so I expect the opinions to be in UConn's favor (duh) but I do not come here proclaiming what I write is the absolute truth for everyone. I believe what I believe about what separates programs in WCBB because of the way I have seen things happen for 25 years now, not because I dislike UConn. Like some Tennessee fans, few of you could use some humility, even on your own message board. Most of you are very pleasant to engage in conversation and that is why I visit the board every once in a while but sheesh... Icebear, I understand your opinion... its the same one I have of Pat and her numbers, stories, and supporters give me every bit of reason to believe that just as much as you believe it about Geno. That is all, I digress.

Reaction Score
Here is the biggest difference between the words I am saying and the words some of you are saying... I believe my words are an opinion and you believe your words are fact. This is a UConn board so I expect the opinions to be in UConn's favor (duh) but I do not come here proclaiming what I write is the absolute truth for everyone. I believe what I believe about what separates programs in WCBB because of the way I have seen things happen for 25 years now, not because I dislike UConn. Like some Tennessee fans, few of you could use some humility, even on your own message board. Most of you are very pleasant to engage in conversation and that is why I visit the board every once in a while but sheesh... Icebear, I understand your opinion... its the same one I have of Pat and her numbers, stories, and supporters give me every bit of reason to believe that just as much as you believe it about Geno. That is all, I digress.

12c25a4ecd5a8972cd8bfbe3192c4d42995682f6fa8f1e659965b7f10a032265.jpg

Reaction Score
I always enjoy hearing the opinions of our UT visitors here, including TP3..... and as mentioned before I have had very good interaction with them at the games.... most of that pre-series CXL in 07..... everyone is entitled to their opinion..... I think from UConn standpoint, of course this will always, by definition, be a partisan posting board, but with a little more time, Geno and staff will build up UC credentials to such a degree that boneyarders will not feel the need to defend our record.... as the numbers grow, UConn domination will speak for itself.

Of course, from UT point of view .... there will always be a fly in the ointment with UC's record..... there is a lot of venom on The Summit.... which is why I do not visit there.... now that their numbers have been supplanted by UC, it is now "yeah but we did everything with class" or Geno is 1. cheater 2. recipient of best players 3. overly arrogant..... all this is best left to totally ignore. ...... what they say there in not proven. At all. So I try to let it be as the song says.

I am grateful that our forum here, though partisan of course, is not hypersensitive and over the top. I love getting the opinions of not only our UT friends, but also our visitors from other programs also..... especially those programs who are without a developed fan board.....

Reaction Score
Good for MS Cooper......Hopefully, TENN gets a few more players around her....

Someone actually responding to the title of the thread.

How the heck did that happen? :confused:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry, wasn't trying to insult. I just think given the players involved. JPM and GG both underachieved (for the grand prize).

No offense taken, none at all.

Reaction Score
If you want to be the best, you have to SEE the best ! I harken back to the Notre Dame championship game when Doris Burke said that every coach in America should just go watch UCONN practice. If I was a head WBB coach I would feel I was cheating my team if I did not go see UCONN practice.

Geno always figures out a way to beat you. The record speaks for itself, 9 & 0 in all championship games. Last year it was our defense that was the difference, and I think will this year. Look what we did to a scoring machine like ND in the Nat Championship. Our inside D is the finest I have ever seen at UCONN. I think it will be just as good this year, if not better with Stewie back, and Kiah playing better than she ever has.

Tell me, what team can go through 6 games of NCAA Playoffs with 6 players ? UCONN did and won, easily. We are the most well-conditioned team in WCBB, and are taught to play defense with our feet, and to not foul.

The Nat. Campionship game against ND just made me remember why I started following UCONN WBB since their first one. You watch UCONN'S passing ability, and unselfishness and it just brings a smile to your face.
Why can't other teams play the same way ? I don't have the answer, but I can say there is only one UCONN,
and they are the best thing going in WCBB !

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the "humble" beginnings......which makes these accomplishments all the more impressive.

Geno took over a program that had NOTHING in the way of tradition, location, conference affiliation, facilities, returning players, recruiting net, etc., compared to the existing powers in the women's game. He started at the bottom of the ladder and in short order, took an doormat program and elevated it to it's first Final Four with a roster full of the nationally unheralded. Therefore, after recruiting for basically one complete rotation, UCONN went from women's basketball afterthought to women's basketball power program. With his 30th season upcoming, barring some unforeseen circumstance, UCONN is on target for another FF and possibly favorites to win a 10th championship. An absolutely remarkable and unprecedented two and a half decades, with far more talent in the game over that span than in the 70s and 80s.

Until the break up of the Big East, UConn managed this success in one of the toughest conferences in America, often with four teams (ND, Louisville, Rutgers, UCONN) consistently parked in the top 5 at one time, or another, with a number of other schools occasionally fielding highly competitive squads. Additionally, UCONN's OC schedule has always been at, or near the top as well, so it isn't as if this historic run is against a cabal of cupcakes.

No coaching staff in the women's game has come close to the 25 year run Geno and CD are enjoying.....with no end in sight. Not Pat, not Tara, not Muffet, not Leon, not C-Viv, not anyone.......

The top coach in the history of the game has proven himself over 3 decades, as the historical record does not lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom