Taurean Thompson schedules visit to Seton Hall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taurean Thompson schedules visit to Seton Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
out of all those names, thompson still sounds like the best option at the 4. right? and i'm sure he + ollie realize that. If ollie is going into the season excited/relying on facey to absorb millers minutes, god help him. the 4 position is a big question mark imo, brimah +enoch +facey are all offensively challenge energy bigs who should be filling the center slot by "committee", not be spoon fed frontcourt minutes. Thompson could walk into a similar role that adams did for the backcourt, 20-25 mpg off bat.
Disagree on SE being offensively challenged. He can go with either hand on post moves and also can go to 10 feet on occasion. Now defense is his issue for staying on the court. Now both AB and KF I agree have offensive limits and that is looking like our starting 4-5. Ugh! That is ugly for Offense!

Reaction Score
Please no more comments and statements about playing time for Big T, our front court is obviously thin especially since Brimah possible leaving and Durham probably red shirting.

Stop with the playing time.

If I were a big I would believe the situation at Uconn would be a great opportunity to show the world my skills.

Maybe he just didn't feel a strong connection here, which is fine.

Like I said before, Ollie will do something magical to fulfill these 3 open scholarships. Love Ollie and have great faith in him, big T is missing out if anything, if he chooses to go to Seton Hall or Cuse.
I wouldn't call our front court slim in pickings. Maybe at the center position if AB doesn't come back. We have are at least 2 deep at the 3 and 4. It might not be great talent but it is decent.

Now our back court depth is the scarier propisition for me especially if RP leaves and AG has recurring shoulder issues. We would just have one guard. We need at least 2 more guards during the spring for me to feel safe. UCONN is best when we have good guards and some depth there.

Reaction Score
So there is plenty of playing time based upon some scenario you just made up?
So there is plenty of playing time based upon some scenario you just made up?
Hopefully Brimah stays and if he does considering he is prone to foul trouble if we get 30 mins out of him a game I will be estatic.

Facey hasn't showed that he can stay on the floor and play major mins at this level through his first 3 years so I am not sure why he would all of sudden do it his senior year?

Enoch I hope is the next big that is going to be a real good husky, but again I am hoping and that is not a given.

I will truly be shocked to see Durham even be a contributior this season because of the ACL tear, I believe he has he most upside out of all the bigs we have.

So with all that being said, I see if you are a top big man recruit I would believe that you would think you have a great opportunity right off the bat to get playing time and as a sophomore you have a great shot to be a starter.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call our front court slim in pickings. Maybe at the center position if AB doesn't come back. We have are at least 2 deep at the 3 and 4. It might not be great talent but it is decent.

Now our back court depth is the scarier propisition for me especially if RP leaves and AG has recurring shoulder issues. We would just have one guard. We need at least 2 more guards during the spring for me to feel safe. UCONN is best when we have good guards and some depth there.
Backcourt is a different conversation.

If your point is you think Vital is more valuable as a recruit for this upcoming year than Thompson I think your dead wrong.

Reaction Score
out of all those names, thompson still sounds like the best option at the 4. right? and i'm sure he + ollie realize that. If ollie is going into the season excited/relying on facey to absorb millers minutes, god help him. the 4 position is a big question mark imo, brimah +enoch +facey are all offensively challenge energy bigs who should be filling the center slot by "committee", not be spoon fed frontcourt minutes. Thompson could walk into a similar role that adams did for the backcourt, 20-25 mpg off bat.
I'm not sure how you can project minutes like that when history shows his court time will be directly tied to his ability to pick up our defensive schemes, and there is no way to know how good/bad he will be in that area.

Reaction Score
Backcourt is a different conversation.

If your point is you think Vital is more valuable as a recruit for this upcoming year than Thompson I think your dead wrong.
I'm not saying he will have more impact but I'm saying we have more pressing needs at the guard position right now. I do agree we need to address both as I'm having nightmares of seeing a starting lineup with AB and KF in it. Just worried that RP might leave which will make it very pressing need to get a guard in it. Even it he is just decent talent at this level. I would love to have Thompson but I haven't seen or heard anything that he is leaning our way at this point. I think we might have to reach out to the grad transfers or JUCO route for our answer of a rebounding and offensive PF.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If you or your 'source' is wrong, you can just claim recruiting is fluid and that things are subject to change.
I said we're not out of it. Just not as confident in him as Vital. I can say with 95% confidence Vital is a husky, and if I'm wrong, I'll still be able to sleep at night.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
At PF we have:

Facey
Diarra
Durham

Which doesn't include Jackson who may be a stretch 4. Plus Enoch. That's a logjam for min if I've ever seen one.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he will have more impact but I'm saying we have more pressing needs at the guard position right now. I do agree we need to address both as I'm having nightmares of seeing a starting lineup with AB and KF in it. Just worried that RP might leave which will make it very pressing need to get a guard in it. Even it he is just decent talent at this level. I would love to have Thompson but I haven't seen or heard anything that he is leaning our way at this point. I think we might have to reach out to the grad transfers or JUCO route for our answer of a rebounding and offensive PF.
Fair enough.

I believe in Mr. Ollie, he will make something happen.

Just feel so fortunate to be able to have such a great coach after replacing a legendary coach, it rarely ever happens in any sport, can't name more than a couple of scenarios that it has ever happened.

Almost always the coach replacing the legendary coach horrifically fails.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Brimah stays and if he does considering he is prone to foul trouble if we get 30 mins out of him a game I will be estatic.

Facey hasn't showed that he can stay on the floor and play major mins at this level through his first 3 years so I am not sure why he would all of sudden do it his senior year?

Enoch I hope is the next big that is going to be a real good husky, but again I am hoping and that is not a given.

I will truly be shocked to see Durham even be a contributior this season because of the ACL tear, I believe he has he most upside out of all the bigs we have.

So with all that being said, I see if you are a top big man recruit I would believe that you would think you have a great opportunity right off the bat to get playing time and as a sophomore you have a great shot to be a starter.
I look at this guy as an Enoch level recruit based upon his similar rankings. He would have a chance to play big minutes if he came in and was able to grasp our team defense at a higher level than most big men ranked in his range. If he doesn't do that, he will be behind Brimah, Facey, and Enoch in the rotation, fighting for minutes with Diarra and Durham(who still has a decent chance of playing despite the fact you would be shocked). It's easy for me to see how a recruit would think he could get more immediate playing time somewhere else.

Reaction Score
At PF we have:

Facey
Diarra
Durham

Which doesn't include Jackson who may be a stretch 4. Plus Enoch. That's a logjam for min if I've ever seen one.
Facey has never solidified the 4 position as a Husky, has had numerous opportunities, but has never locked it down.

Diarra is freshman and Thompson is rated higher and just had a better game than Diarra not to say that means a lot, but if I were a recruit I would think this is great opportunity to play and get mins my freshman year.

Durham according to reports has a good shot to be a redshirt so it's very hard to even put him in the mix.

So I don't see much of a log jam.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN pulled out on Vann, so must be a reason it was done. Recruiting Thompson is recently new, and the kid did not decide yet. So not disappointed here.
It's because hamidou is going to commit. Dropping him to the 15 slot for his class as is the way for recent Uconn commits

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Facey has never solidified the 4 position as a Husky, has had numerous opportunities, but has never locked it down.

Diarra is freshman and Thompson is rated higher and just had a better game than Diarra not to say that means a lot, but if I were a recruit I would think this is great opportunity to play and get mins my freshman year.

Durham according to reports has a good shot to be a redshirt so it's very hard to even put him in the mix.

So I don't see much of a log jam.

Durham may redshirt, but it's far from a given. You also didn't mention Jackson, who is going to play the 4. So that's at least 3 other players, maybe 4, that he's going to have to compete with for minutes. If he was a top-10 player, I would agree that he shouldn't be worried, because that talent level is likely going to get the most minutes, but if he's ranked in the 70s? Chances are he doesn't see more than 10-15 minutes a night.

I never thought this kid was a great fit based on what we have coming in. I'll take him if he wants to come here, but if he did I guarantee at least one frontcourt player would be transferring in 2017. I'm much more hopeful for Vital and maybe another guard.

Reaction Score
Really happy to hear this, last report I read was diff.

Hopefully he is 100 percent and be a really important factor for next season, on tape he looks really good.

Reaction Score
Durham may redshirt, but it's far from a given. You also didn't mention Jackson, who is going to play the 4. So that's at least 3 other players, maybe 4, that he's going to have to compete with for minutes. If he was a top-10 player, I would agree that he shouldn't be worried, because that talent level is likely going to get the most minutes, but if he's ranked in the 70s? Chances are he doesn't see more than 10-15 minutes a night.

I never thought this kid was a great fit based on what we have coming in. I'll take him if he wants to come here, but if he did I guarantee at least one frontcourt player would be transferring in 2017. I'm much more hopeful for Vital and maybe another guard.
Fair enough, I think Big T is gonna be a very good college player and I am worried about the Facey/Diarra combo and if Brimah leaves we are in big trouble.

To each his own.

Would love to see Jackson at the 4 like you said.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Fair enough, I think Big T is gonna be a very good college player and I am worried about the Facey/Diarra combo and if Brimah leaves we are in big trouble.

To each his own.

Would love to see Jackson at the 4 like you said.

I just don't see Brimah as a factor. Outside of Enoch and maybe Durham, nobody else on the team has the size to legitimately play the Center position. 6'9" skinny guys don't usually fare well at the 5.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Brimah as a factor. Outside of Enoch and maybe Durham, nobody else on the team has the size to legitimately play the Center position. 6'9" skinny guys don't usually fare well at the 5.
If Brimah leaves, we are going to need all hands on deck, the only player we have that fits the 5 is Enoch and I don't believe he even play 10 mins a game this year although do like his toughness and body, think he will be pretty good, but to ask him to play 30+ mins a game would be tough.

Brimah leaves, we will probably see all different combos at the 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
I agree in the sense there could be times where they have Jackson and Larrier on as 3&4.

We definitely could use another guard whether it's Vital or a grad player.

At PF we have:

Facey
Diarra
Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom