Tarin Smith takes the stairs. | The Boneyard

Tarin Smith takes the stairs.

pj

Reaction Score
Nice handle. Looks great. If CV had a handle like that, he might actually have a chance at the NBA.

Reaction Score
Good stuff Tarin. Guards need a tight handle and his looks good. Man has veteran status, work ethic, competitive mentality. Hurleys know this player; they know he's going to bring the effort. Looking forward to seeing him play.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Abnormally stiff lower body when shooting. I didn't take the time to pinpoint but its odd.

Looks like an athlete though, should make a good physical defender for us this year. Id think hes a step above anderson this year.
Yea he is a little stiff in general. But his handle is extremely tight and he's a well above average passer, the Dukes used him as their primary ball handler and play caller when he was on the floor. He is very much a true PG, I think he was 2nd on their team in assists last year and led the team the year before, which is something that we desperately need.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yea he is a little stiff in general. But his handle is extremely tight and he's a well above average passer, the Dukes used him as their primary ball handler and play caller when he was on the floor. He is very much a true PG, I think he was 2nd on their team in assists last year and led the team the year before, which is something that we desperately need.

Jalen Adams is our point guard.

Reaction Score

He averaged 3 assists per 40 at Duquesne. He's not a point guard. He's also not that good of a shooter, probably because of that stiffness, and being more athletic than competition growing up.

If I were Hurley, I'd be using this guy as an intense defender, and a long outlet option in transition as much as possible. Like Anderson, but not being forced to play outside his comfort zone. I don't see him being terribly effective in the half court, unless it's as a cutter.

I also don't see how you can say he has a good handle on that video. Have you watched more? I coach bad high schoolers who can handle as well as he did in that video. Have you seen much Duquesne/Nebraska film?

Reaction Score
New workout video just posted.

This kid is Antwoine Anderson 2.0. We need Jalen to take the next step and the team will be fine.

We need a serious talent upgrade.

Adams, CV, Polley, Carlton, Sid and Rique that’s the core we need to step up.

Reaction Score
Can I finally admit I take the escalator when I see one? Moving walkways, too.
I walk whilst using the escalators and moving walkways.
C3hG9FgW8AEUPFD.jpg

pj

Reaction Score
He averaged 3 assists per 40 at Duquesne. He's not a point guard. He's also not that good of a shooter, probably because of that stiffness, and being more athletic than competition growing up.

If I were Hurley, I'd be using this guy as an intense defender, and a long outlet option in transition as much as possible. Like Anderson, but not being forced to play outside his comfort zone. I don't see him being terribly effective in the half court, unless it's as a cutter.

I also don't see how you can say he has a good handle on that video. Have you watched more? I coach bad high schoolers who can handle as well as he did in that video. Have you seen much Duquesne/Nebraska film?

No, he averaged 4.5 assists per 40 minutes at Duquesne. 3.2 assists per game in 28.5 mpg. A/TO was 1.5.

For comparison, Jalen averaged 4.9 assists per 40 minutes, A/TO 1.6. Antwoine Anderson averaged 2.5 assists per 40 minutes, A/TO 1.27.

So Tarin is a lot closer to Jalen than to Antwoine Anderson.

pj

Reaction Score
Reminds me a bit of a football card I saw recently.

CV can shoot but his A/TO ratio is less than one and his handle is too loose to create space for himself or his passes. If he could dribble better it would get him better shots and better passing angles and give him a chance to develop (or demonstrate) some point guard/combo guard skills.

Love CV's character, but just compare his workout videos from last summer to Tarin's, there's a big difference in his dribbling and it has consequences in games.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
CV can shoot but his A/TO ratio is less than one and his handle is too loose to create space for himself or his passes. If he could dribble better it would get him better shots and better passing angles and give him a chance to develop (or demonstrate) some point guard/combo guard skills.

Love CV's character, but just compare his workout videos from last summer to Tarin's, there's a big difference in his dribbling and it has consequences in games.
However true or not, what made you think it was overall helpful to add an uncomplimentary comment on CV to your complimentary assessment of Tarin Smith?

Reaction Score
Don't like the way he looks on the three dunks. Poor control of the ball with one hand. He might have small hands or a weak grip. This can cause major problems on drives against teams with a good interior defense. Vital is better, there r reasons why Smith is not a starter man on a A10 team

Reaction Score
Seriously.

The Ollieisms were "trying too hard" cringey when he first started. They were cute in the brief period we were winning. They were embarrassing to infuriating ever since.
Especially since we heard many stories about Ollie not following his expressions with his own work ethic or lack thereof.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom