Tara, Walz, Geno | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tara, Walz, Geno

Reaction Score
Recently a close friend of mine lost a championship chess match in Chicago, and I laughed. Does this make me a bad person too? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
B&C
Perhaps not, but it does make others wonder why you would laugh at the misfortune of a close friend?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Back to the original subject, another thing to consider is that Walz is quite a bit younger than Geno (and Tara). I remember 25 years ago talking to a teacher who was of the opinion that you should never say that someone is wrong (she'd recently been at a training session where that had been said). Including in subjects like math. The suggestion was that a person/student wasn't wrong, just maybe had an interesting take..

This was around the same time Walz was cutting his teeth as a coach, but almost two decades after Geno had begun coaching. In addition to Jeff seeming to have a more euthymic personality, he also learned methods when societal norms had evolved to be much more positive than than when Geno was learning. Also recall Geno 20 years ago; his approach has mellowed quite a bit, but still has a long way to go before he reaches Walz territory.

Reaction Score
After Louisville's loss to SC, I saw Walz embracing and comforting Engstler, and in the Presser gave her a heartfelt sendoff. I've never seen this side of him before, and must admit to a better appreciation and understanding of his success.

Tara is Tara - one of the all-time greats - and after the loss in which her team played well below potential, and in no small part due to UConn defense, she gave a shout-out to her graduating seniors, especially to Lexie Hull who had uncharacteristically low scoring success and more turnovers. I believe she said she wouldn't trade Lexie for any other player anywhere!

Geno, without a doubt in my mind the GOAT, came a distant 3rd among the three in his post SC Presser. I don't recall hearing any sendoff for Evina, Christyn, or Liv. If for no other reason, he surely knows they have WBB and other pro BB expectations. What positive words did he say for their futures? If I missed it, I'll be ready to apologize. No, I haven't won 11 championships, but as reasonably knowledgeable about human nature, I can't see how this helps future recruiting. While I read CW saying Geno "broke her" (not sure of the context), that surely doesn't help.

Add to it Kara Walters critique, as discussed in another thread, and regardless how right her views might be, how is it helpful to UConn WBB? This is unexpectedly disappointing!
I think we are viewing Kara Wolters critique through todays politically correct lens. 10 years ago nobody would have blinked an eye. We are entirely to sensitive today any kind of criticism not allowed. It borders on rediculous you can't please everyone. I appreciate people who say what they feel even if I do not agree.

Reaction Score
Someone likes what you have posted = they agree with your statement(s)

Somebody gives your comment a dislike = The reader disagrees with what you have written.

Most people, it seems, reserve dislikes for strenuous disagreement.
Bollocks.

Reaction Score
Perhaps not, but it does make others wonder why you would laugh at the misfortune of a close friend?
It was sarcasm. Just like many of these post criticizing Geno for not hugging and consoling his players

Reaction Score
I suspect, strongly, that if Geno wanted to be perfectly honest, he would have said something like: these very talented and hard-working players put in every bit of effort they could, but they simply weren't able to give to the team, consistently,
what I thought they were capable of.

That would have been regarded as taking a shot. He was probably too sick to finesse his way around it (probably using self-depreciation) so he just didn't go there

I had resolved not to be in the least bit negative about the farewells, because I love the effort these three put in, the obstacles they overcame and the great performances they gave at times. But if Geno praises every very good UConn player as if they were great, it demeans what he has to say about the giants. And core of the Geno schtick (often not obvious within the blarney) is truth. Sorry.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom