Tara, Walz, Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tara, Walz, Geno

Reaction Score
As a big UCONN fan and supporter, I just wonder about the player development part of the program. With CoVID and the competition becoming so fierce, I hope this is not getting lost.
I am really high on all the assistants and the guards seem to love Morgan, but I am not sure LIv and Chrsityn got much better after 4 years. Maybe LIv learned to shoot that line drive side of the foul line shot - and christyn became a better defender ? But I am not sure. KLS seemed to get mentally down too much in her career and carried over to the WNBA.
The mantra was come to “UCONN” and you will become the best player you can be. Hope we get back to those fundamentals
Hope Aubrey does not go 4 years and never improves her pull up and offensive game.
This staff is capable of anything if it becomes a priority.

That definitely is NOT the mantra. Ask Tina Charles. This thread needs to be put to bed!

Reaction Score
Threads like this make me question what I'm doing w/my life.

Why does Geno's send off to the seniors need to be overtly public for him to be deemed a caring and respectable coach? None of us has any idea what goes on when there are no cameras. If any of you do I'd love to hear it. If he was so bad at this why do his former players love him? Why do his former players come back? Why?

Kara Wolters is paid by SNY to be objective the SAME way Rebecca Lobo is paid by ESPN to be objective. Yes, deep down they're part of the Husky family, but on camera they are paid to do a job. And they both do it well.

This forum, at times, looks for any crack in any open door to criticize (yes you're allowed to do so) Geno and the program.

Reaction Score
After Louisville's loss to SC, I saw Walz embracing and comforting Engstler, and in the Presser gave her a heartfelt sendoff. I've never seen this side of him before, and must admit to a better appreciation and understanding of his success.

Tara is Tara - one of the all-time greats - and after the loss in which her team played well below potential, and in no small part due to UConn defense, she gave a shout-out to her graduating seniors, especially to Lexie Hull who had uncharacteristically low scoring success and more turnovers. I believe she said she wouldn't trade Lexie for any other player anywhere!

Geno, without a doubt in my mind the GOAT, came a distant 3rd among the three in his post SC Presser. I don't recall hearing any sendoff for Evina, Christyn, or Liv. If for no other reason, he surely knows they have WBB and other pro BB expectations. What positive words did he say for their futures? If I missed it, I'll be ready to apologize. No, I haven't won 11 championships, but as reasonably knowledgeable about human nature, I can't see how this helps future recruiting. While I read CW saying Geno "broke her" (not sure of the context), that surely doesn't help.

Add to it Kara Walters critique, as discussed in another thread, and regardless how right her views might be, how is it helpful to UConn WBB? This is unexpectedly disappointing!
Per your observation, if you personally did not see any sort of embracing, comforting, shout out to outgoing seniors and any sendoff for Evina, Christyn and Liv that is telling you everything you need to know about Geno? If you're reading these coaches based on post game pressers you're missing out on so much more.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I don't doubt Geno loves his girls and they him. I was focusing on EW, CW, ONO's futures, which after a less than spectacular performance might surely benefit from a public as opposed to a private testimonial. I guess we'll have to wait and see after the WNBA draft.
You and I seem to use different logical filters. Allow me to illustrate.

“[…] which after a less than spectacular performance might surely benefit from a public as opposed to a private testimonial.”

The very public performance was no doubt seen by WNBA and other professional teams' decision makers. EV was visibly playing hurt. Geno told us that Liv was playing hurt. If there were mitigating factors for CW's performance, I trust Geno would have let us know.

You think sweet words of endorsement from Geno would change
perceptions? He relied on these three all season. Is that not a very public endorsement?

“I guess we'll have to wait and see after the WNBA draft.”

You have set up a thoroughly bogus scenario, unsupported by any facts, in which something Geno did or didn't do, might or might not have said, will be—within the confines of your own head—a causative factor in the draft outcome for these three fine young women. To quote my British spouse, when faced with such utter nonsense, “Bollocks!”

Reaction Score

Why does Geno's send off to the seniors need to be overtly public for him to be deemed a caring and respectable coach? None of us has any idea what goes on when there are no cameras. If any of you do I'd love to hear it. If he was so bad at this why do his former players love him? Why do his former players come back? Why?

Kara Wolters is paid by SNY to be objective the SAME way Rebecca Lobo is paid by ESPN to be objective. Yes, deep down they're part of the Husky family, but on camera they are paid to do a job. And they both do it well.

This forum, at times, looks for any crack in any open door to criticize (yes you're allowed to do so) Geno and the program.
I always love to know why someone dislikes a post. I think when you press the dislike button it should force you to state why. JMO

Reaction Score

Very simple, publicly when the cameras are rolling is when high school potential recruits and their parents get impressions which impact recruiting. And recruiting is as critical as ever.
It is exasperating to have one's motives doubted. I love Geno (and Chris Dailey) and all he/they has accomplished. FYI - When making a contribution to UConn WBB I wrote to Geno (and have indicated on the BY) that a high point for me was watching his remarks after Stewie's last championship game pointing to the alums in the stands and they blowing kisses at him.

Reaction Score
You and I seem to use different logical filters. Allow me to illustrate.

“[…] which after a less than spectacular performance might surely benefit from a public as opposed to a private testimonial.”

The very public performance was no doubt seen by WNBA and other professional teams' decision makers. EV was visibly playing hurt. Geno told us that Liv was playing hurt. If there were mitigating factors for CW's performance, I trust Geno would have let us know.

You think sweet words of endorsement from Geno would change
perceptions? He relied on these three all season. Is that not a very public endorsement?
I believe in logic, so if he relied on these 3 all season, why not say something publicly after their last game performance and end on a positive note?
“I guess we'll have to wait and see after the WNBA draft.”

You have set up a thoroughly bogus scenario, unsupported by any facts, in which something Geno did or didn't do, might or might not have said, will be—within the confines of your own head—a causative factor in the draft outcome for these three fine young women. To quote my British spouse, when faced with such utter nonsense, “Bollocks!”
You sort of have me there, I should not have linked to the WNBA draft. As for your British spouse, feel free to share with her that I spent 6 of the most miserable years of my life in an English boarding school! :)

Reaction Score
Personally I hate watching any losing team's press conference and rarely watch any of them. The losing players, some only teenagers, are forced to sit on a dais with red eyes and choke out what went wrong. The coach, OK. He's paid to do it. To me, it seems almost cruel to have them sit there on national television while there're asked inane questions like, "what will the locker room be like?"

JBK

Reaction Score
UConn has made it to 14 consecutive final fours. Talk about a spoiled fan base.
Yup.
The fans ???? Ask the players and Geno if they are pleased with 2nd place ...
No way - their greatness has made us all spoiled and would love to keep it that way

Reaction Score
I always love to know why someone dislikes a post. I think when you press the dislike button it should force you to state why. JMO
Amen to that!!! I get a fair amount of dislikes, which is more than fine because I am opinionated, but never an explanation or counter argument/position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup.
The fans ???? Ask the players and Geno if they are pleased with 2nd place ...
No way - their greatness has made us all spoiled and would love to keep it that way
UConn has been dominate for years. Now it’s South Carolina’s turn to carry the mantel for WCBB. More of the good players are going to other programs which is good for the sport. Hopefully it will become more like the mens game where more teams have a chance to win the championship every year and there are more upsets.

Reaction Score
...but it's ok if the "likes" do not come with an explanation?
I assume “likes“ are an acknowledgement of sorts of agreement.
Dislikes, on the other hand, I interpret as reflections of disagreement which could be for various unknown reasons. So being privy to those reasons could lead to some “mature, respectful” discussion of legitimate differences of opinion. I have strong opinions and share them, that does not mean that I don’t respect others having differing thoughts.

Reaction Score
Recently a close friend of mine lost a championship chess match in Chicago, and I laughed. Does this make me a bad person too? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
B&C

Reaction Score
I never explain my dislikes cause my mouth gets me in a lot of trouble but o find it funny when I give a dislike the petty people that will give me several dislikes just cause their nose is bent out of shape.of course several of those people have me on ignore now

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I never explain my dislikes cause my mouth gets me in a lot of trouble but o find it funny when I give a dislike the petty people that will give me several dislikes just cause their nose is bent out of shape.of course several of those people have me on ignore now
It would be a boring world indeed if everyone agreed all the time

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Huh?
Someone likes what you have posted = they agree with your statement(s)

Somebody gives your comment a dislike = The reader disagrees with what you have written.

Most people, it seems, reserve dislikes for strenuous disagreement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom