Taliek Brown Influence | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown Influence

C

Chief00

The one thing we haven’t seen from Gaffney yet is a quick first step breaking down his defender in a half court set. It’s mostly East-West movement with him. If he can improve his handle and first step a bit, he’ll be really dangerous.
Chief thinks Gaffney is the type of guy his shooting must come first, then the quick step after a subtle fake.

Reaction Score
For my money, the best pass first PG in recent memory was Marcus Williams, but Taliek was such such a steady leader out there on the floor and a flat out winner. If nothing else, that’s what I want to see passed down to Gaffney.
Taliek evolved and improvedbut if memory serves he didn’t look as good as Gaffney does freshman year, and seeing where Taliek ended up that bodes well for Gaffney.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
His passing and sense for the pace of the game is fantastic. Better imo than most any guard we've had in years.

Needs to work on his handles, shooting, and get bigger. He does any 2/3 of those and he's a starting caliber player.

Last 8 games Gaffney has averaged:

6.4PPG
2.1 RPG
3.9 AST
1.4 TO
1.1 STL

29% from the field
26% from deep

28 minutes per game.

He shoots the ball even slightly BELOW average and he's a 10PPG scorer next year.
Yup right on some things you can teach and some you can't. His shooting and handles will continue to improve. Guy is going to be a lot of fun to watch progress.

Reaction Score
Yup right on some things you can teach and some you can't. His shooting and handles will continue to improve. Guy is going to be a lot of fun to watch progress.

And the things are really hard to teach he's great at. IQ, feel for the game, passing ability. You really can't COACH that like you can ballhandling and shooting

Reaction Score
Taliek evolved and improvedbut if memory serves he didn’t look as good as Gaffney does freshman year, and seeing where Taliek ended up that bodes well for Gaffney.
Taliek's stats were actually a little better
Taliek FG 43% Gaffney 32%
2P 45% 37%
3P 25% 27%
Assists 4.9. 2.1
Rebounds 2.5. 1.2
Pts. 8.1. 3.7
SOS. 5.43. 5.30

C

Chief00

His passing and sense for the pace of the game is fantastic. Better imo than most any guard we've had in years.

Needs to work on his handles, shooting, and get bigger. He does any 2/3 of those and he's a starting caliber player.

Last 8 games Gaffney has averaged:

6.4PPG
2.1 RPG
3.9 AST
1.4 TO
1.1 STL

29% from the field
26% from deep

28 minutes per game.

He shoots the ball even slightly BELOW average and he's a 10PPG scorer next year.

I don‘t think he is an inherently poor shooter. I think if he puts the time in, this metric will improve.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
But Taliek's limitations early in his career were never about being timid or hesitant -- more of a bull in the china shop situation. Gaffney on the other hand often seems very hesitant to make a move, and by the time he commits to that move, the door is closing.

C

Chief00

But Taliek's limitations early in his career were never about being timid or hesitant -- more of a bull in the china shop situation. Gaffney on the other hand often seems very hesitant to make a move, and by the time he commits to that move, the door is closing.
Agree, and shooting stroke wise, I think Gaffney will be fine with some work. Taliek started with bad form.

Reaction Score
For my money, the best pass first PG in recent memory was Marcus Williams, but Taliek was such such a steady leader out there on the floor and a flat out winner. If nothing else, that’s what I want to see passed down to Gaffney.
UConn's been fortunate to have some great passing PGs. Agree MW was excellent, averaging 7 assists per game. Doron Sheffer was a great passer too (6 apg).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Eh... We'll agree to disagree on that one. Marcus was significantly more talented than Taliek and was the victim of being on a very soft team that just could not figure it out. Marcus was the one guy during our post-season struggles in 2006 who showed up all four games.

13 and 11 vs George Mason
26 and 8 vs Washington
20 and 8 vs. Kentucky
21 and 8 vs. Albany

I don't think Taliek makes that 2006 team any better, personally. You put Marcus on the 04 team and I think we would be even better.

The 2006 team had 99 problems, but Marcus Williams ain't one. Without him, we lose to Albany.

He was a much better passer than Taliek. And a better scorer. (Not as good a defender.) He was a 1st Round NBA pick for a reason.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
UConn's been fortunate to have some great passing PGs. Agree MW was excellent, averaging 7 assists per game. Doron Sheffer was a great passer too (6 apg).

For his career, yeah. But he averaged 7.8 apg as a SO and 8.6 as a JR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom