Taliek Brown Influence | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown Influence

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Have seen a complete 180 turnaround in Gaffney's play. Towards the beginning of the season he looked like he didn't belong on the floor and has now become somewhat of a game changing player. Taliek is probably the best pass first PG in UConn history. I would have to say it looks like he has had a profound effect on our young point guard. Anyone agree?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I can't say who gets the credit, but I have seen improvement from the beginning of the season. Would like to see him work on his handle as I get a little anxious when he's dribbling against the press, but he has shown much more poise. Shows a good looking shot at times as well.

Reaction Score
Have seen a complete 180 turnaround in Gaffney's play. Towards the beginning of the season he looked like he didn't belong on the floor and has now become somewhat of a game changing player. Taliek is probably the best pass first PG in UConn history. I would have to say it looks like he has had a profound effect on our young point guard. Anyone agree?

For my money, the best pass first PG in recent memory was Marcus Williams, but Taliek was such such a steady leader out there on the floor and a flat out winner. If nothing else, that’s what I want to see passed down to Gaffney.

Reaction Score
I believe Gaffney's recent success is twofold

1) As fans I feel we sometimes forget an 18-year old is transitioning from high school to big-time (not sure everyone will agree the AAC is high level, but above mid-major for sure) basketball and these kids need time to adjust. Not every player will step onto campus and perform at an all-league level like we wish them to. His foot injury in the summer also seemed to hamper his confidence early on in the season. The kid needed some time and experience
2) Hurley making the decision to limit 'Rique's minutes and increase Gaffney's with the idea that it will benefit Gaffney's progression and ultimately the program's.

#airwhaley

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
For my money, the best pass first PG in recent memory was Marcus Williams, but Taliek was such such a steady leader out there on the floor and a flat out winner. If nothing else, that’s what I want to see passed down to Gaffney.
Yup always thought of Taliek as the epitome of "getting the job done." Feel like he would be a great role model to learn under.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I can't say who gets the credit, but I have seen improvement from the beginning of the season. Would like to see him work on his handle as I get a little anxious when he's dribbling against the press, but he has shown much more poise. Shows a good looking shot at times as well.
He does make me nervous as well but it's interesting because he has such a great assist to turnover ratio.

C

Chief00

Chief said months ago that dude could play. We have been very competitive with Gaffney running the show. Chief’s opinion is he is still just scratching the surface of how good he’s going to be and his contribution to a winning formula.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Chief said months ago that dude could play. We have been very competitive with Gaffney running the show. Chief’s opinion is he is still just scratching the surface of how good he’s going to be and his contribution to a winning formula.
Hope you are right chief. Really think you have been on to something though. His ceiling looks really high at this point

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Once he starts scoring he’s going to be a big problem. I think he had 2k points in HS.
He shows flashes of brilliance at times that really look like he could become a big time scorer.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He does make me nervous as well but it's interesting because he has such a great assist to turnover ratio.
Early on he would dribble himself into trouble. That has gotten much better. He would also dribble too much instead of getting us into the offense. That has also gotten much better. But against the press, it was the behind the back dribble that seemed forced/awkward and that gave me the most agita. I do see some nice passes getting made at times. With all that said, I do expect good things from him for years to come. No worries.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Early on he would dribble himself into trouble. That has gotten much better. He would also dribble too much instead of getting us into the offense. That has also gotten much better. But against the press, it was the behind the back dribble that seemed forced/awkward and that gave me the most agita. I do see some nice passes getting made at times. With all that said, I do expect good things from him for years to come. No worries.
Yup he's shown pieces of brilliance in all aspects of his game. Those will continue to shine brighter as he gets older. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch this guy progress.

Reaction Score

Without question. Marcus is horrifically underrated as a PG here. He was as talented as anyone we've ever had. I'm legit shocked he didn't become Jason Kidd'ish in the pros.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Without question. Marcus is horrifically underrated as a PG here. He was as talented as anyone we've ever had. I'm legit shocked he didn't become Jason Kidd'ish in the pros.
Talented as he may be. FRom a pure winning standpoint. I would way rather have taliek Manning a team with championship expectations. I think he will begin to work wonders with our young pgs as well

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Taliek was great as pass-first PG. But he didn't become one until his senior year.

Reaction Score
Marcus should've had a better nba career but Kidd was always a whole different beast. More athleticism, defense, stronger, harder worker. Kidd was a bulldog and one of the best ever at the point.

Shame is if Marcus just had a good shooting guard/combo to play with his last year at UConn he would've won it all.

Reaction Score
He is getting better steadily...I just hate when he dribbles with his back to the defender. So hard to see the court or make a play that way. I'm sure he won't be doing that next season.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Doron

Reaction Score
His passing and sense for the pace of the game is fantastic. Better imo than most any guard we've had in years.

Needs to work on his handles, shooting, and get bigger. He does any 2/3 of those and he's a starting caliber player.

Last 8 games Gaffney has averaged:

6.4PPG
2.1 RPG
3.9 AST
1.4 TO
1.1 STL

29% from the field
26% from deep

28 minutes per game.

He shoots the ball even slightly BELOW average and he's a 10PPG scorer next year.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom