Taliek Brown Influence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown Influence

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Which is why he always caught so much crap - fans were uncomfortable with the fact he wasn't a shooter - fans were brutal
Kathy I think this is the first time you came to my side on one of these. Deepest thanks

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just be thankful UConn beat Duke in 2004, Taliek's entire career would be looked at differently had we not made that comeback.
Or if Marcus Williams hadn't flunked off the team.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Without question. Marcus is horrifically underrated as a PG here. He was as talented as anyone we've ever had. I'm legit shocked he didn't become Jason Kidd'ish in the pros.
That was all about work ethic. He thought he could skate by on talent alone.

Reaction Score
Without question. Marcus is horrifically underrated as a PG here. He was as talented as anyone we've ever had. I'm legit shocked he didn't become Jason Kidd'ish in the pros.
Add Doron to that list as well!

Reaction Score
Or if Marcus Williams hadn't flunked off the team.
BS - as a freshman Taliek averaged almost 6 assists a game - he was a true pass first point guard - he was a great coach on he floor. Senior year he averaged 6.5- Wiliams was averaging under 5.- they would have been what Jim loved - 2 point guards playing side by side. A freshman Marcus would not have replaced a Senior Taliek.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The first pass first PG in the Calhoun era was KO. He did not have a good shot but played D and ran the team. Sheffer was a PG who could really pass but he played off the ball a lot(with KO). Taliek was another KO but an uglier shot. Marcus Williams could shoot but was a flashy passer but he wasn't what anyone would call a lock down defender. All the other PG were really offensive minded and got theirs while the team got theirs- KEA, Kemba, Shabazz, Jalen, etc.

Reaction Score
The first pass first PG in the Calhoun era was KO. He did not have a good shot but played D and ran the team. Sheffer was a PG who could really pass but he played off the ball a lot(with KO). Taliek was another KO but an uglier shot. Marcus Williams could shoot but was a flashy passer but he wasn't what anyone would call a lock down defender. All the other PG were really offensive minded and got theirs while the team got theirs- KEA, Kemba, Shabazz, Jalen, etc.
Not to nit pick but Tate George was actually JCs first pass first PG. He didn’t have much of an outside stroke his first couple seasons and averaged like 6 assists as a freshman. He was 6’5” so he could see over defenses better than others we’ve had.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Marcus should've had a better nba career but Kidd was always a whole different beast. More athleticism, defense, stronger, harder worker. Kidd was a bulldog and one of the best ever at the point.

Shame is if Marcus just had a good shooting guard/combo to play with his last year at UConn he would've won it all.
Also ate himself out of the league to some extent

First class court vision and ability to deliver the ball tho no doubt

Reaction Score
The one thing we haven’t seen from Gaffney yet is a quick first step breaking down his defender in a half court set. It’s mostly East-West movement with him. If he can improve his handle and first step a bit, he’ll be really dangerous.

Reaction Score
Marcus should've had a better nba career but Kidd was always a whole different beast. More athleticism, defense, stronger, harder worker. Kidd was a bulldog and one of the best ever at the point.

Shame is if Marcus just had a good shooting guard/combo to play with his last year at UConn he would've won it all.

Hence the 'ish. I was fairly certain that Marcus would be in the vicinity stat-wise to KIdd - a guy who would be a perennial 14 and 10 guy at the PG spot. Marcus was that good as a passer.

Reaction Score
Talented as he may be. FRom a pure winning standpoint. I would way rather have taliek Manning a team with championship expectations. I think he will begin to work wonders with our young pgs as well

Eh... We'll agree to disagree on that one. Marcus was significantly more talented than Taliek and was the victim of being on a very soft team that just could not figure it out. Marcus was the one guy during our post-season struggles in 2006 who showed up all four games.

13 and 11 vs George Mason
26 and 8 vs Washington
20 and 8 vs. Kentucky
21 and 8 vs. Albany

I don't think Taliek makes that 2006 team any better, personally. You put Marcus on the 04 team and I think we would be even better.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Look for a dramatic sophomore jump for both him and Bouk. I expect the difference to be dramatic.

Reaction Score
Eh... We'll agree to disagree on that one. Marcus was significantly more talented than Taliek and was the victim of being on a very soft team that just could not figure it out. Marcus was the one guy during our post-season struggles in 2006 who showed up all four games.

13 and 11 vs George Mason
26 and 8 vs Washington
20 and 8 vs. Kentucky
21 and 8 vs. Albany

I don't think Taliek makes that 2006 team any better, personally. You put Marcus on the 04 team and I think we would be even better.
Soft? The 2006 team gets on because it lost to G Mason but they went 30-4. Yeah they should have won but I don't consider Adrien or Boone soft.

edit love the profanity filter changes to #2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A freshman Marcus would not have replaced a Senior Taliek.
Maybe, maybe not. But Marcus was outplaying Taliek before he was suspended. He forced Taliek to up his game which he did as a senior.

Reaction Score
Soft? The 2006 team gets # 2 on because it lost to G Mason but they went 30-4. Yeah they should have won but I don't consider Adrien or Boone soft.

edit love the profanity filter changes to #2

haha to #2... Adrien was the toughest kid on the team by far. I'm sorry, but I do consider Josh soft. Especially his junior year. That was a "fragile" team and they never developed any real killer instinct and just kind of floated through the season. I do consider them soft as a whole. They were physically and athletically superior to every team they played the entire year and were down to a 16 seed with ten minutes to go. We were lucky to get through Washington in the Sweet 16 and were outplayed by George Mason. As far as I'm concerned, they do deserve to get #2'd on.

I'd throw the 95-96 team as being soft, too. Just my $0.02

Reaction Score
One other thing that Taliek had going for him, was he was physically strong so he couldn't get pushed around underneath and he could defend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom