Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert

Reaction Score
Weren't we on Rivals at that point? 2001 or so.
There was a guy named Toby Wes who blasted him along with many others. It was relentless. He was a top ranked player in HS who never made an All America team in college. He did get a degree, won a title and played ball around the world for a few years. Pretty good life over all I would say.

Reaction Score
Taliek was a pure jumper away from an entirely different career. I bet he thinks about that almost daily and wonders why he didn’t just learn to shoot. For some guys it’s a mental thing I guess.

He was a good player, tough, strong as an ox and relentless all game long. He is an awesome resource for our guards because he reached the mountain top yet faced so much adversity. He’s seen it all in a UConn uniform.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Taliek was also tough as nails. This is a group made of nice kids, Hurley wants them to show more toughness, Taliek is the perfect guy to teach that to the guards.
But he had to learn when to defer and when to drive. He is the perfect guy to mentor Gilbert.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, he only took 1.3 attempts per game less his senior year, compared to the first three years. So not a huge variation. And that was partially a result of having so much developed firepower.
Not from the 3 point line. It was a massive reduction and the team was better for it. And I'm sure it was a result of the coach telling him to cut the crap.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not from the 3 point line. It was a massive reduction and the team was better for it. And I'm sure it was a result of the coach telling him to cut the crap.

Taliek barely took any 3s in his entire career (75 total). He averaged .6 per game his entire career, never taking more than one per game.

He went from taking .6 per game as a junior to .1 per game as a senior. That's one less 3pt shot every two games.

Idk for certain, but he might have taken less 3pters than any guard who played reasonable minutes in Calhoun's tenure.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There was a guy named Toby Wes who blasted him along with many others. It was relentless. He was a top ranked player in HS who never made an All America team in college. He did get a degree, won a title and played ball around the world for a few years. Pretty good life over all I would say.
It was brutal. On par with Jerome Dyson. The treatment of CV is mild by comparison.

He played through turf toe and the murder of his best friend one year but the Boneyard jumped all over him for his play.

The tough as nails guys that JC valued are the type of players posters in the forum are most uncomfortable with as a general rule. The "out of control" play is focused by our lenses. To be clear I'm not supporting out of control play. Those players would have been better/be better if they could eliminate that type of play. I just think that in general people in this forum, past and present, are the type of people who value/insist on controlled behavior and as a result we over emphasize the problem.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He went from taking .6 per game as a junior to .1 per game as a senior.
That's a 600% reduction isn't it? That's not nothing considering he only made 1 each year.

Reaction Score
The Taliek bashing was definitely excessive. He was thrust into heavy minutes as a freshman on a bad team but still had 5 APG. He played great D, had a 2.1-1 assist to turnover ratio for his career and led his teams to a 103-35 record vs super tough Big East competition. His career culminated in a national championship. He was an offensively challenged player who couldn’t shoot but was a warrior and a winner. I’m so happy he’s back where he belongs, we were lucky to have him as a player and are lucky to have him back in the program.

Reaction Score
He went from taking .6 per game as a junior to .1 per game as a senior. That's one less 3pt shot every two games.
In fairness to him, the 03-04 team had about 75 guys who were solid 3-point shooters, they didn't need Taliek to do that. He was the team's best ballhandler in transition and in half-court situations and was needed to be the leader in that role.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's a 600% reduction isn't it? That's not nothing considering he only made 1 each year.

% reduction isn't exactly useful the smaller sample you get. We're talking about a handful of shots over a larger number of games. In other words, these weren't outcome affecting numbers.

Reality, 1) Taliek just started being smarter with the ball. Learned how to use change of speed and hesitation, to avoid driving directly into the trees. 2) the players around him got better and better -- probably the biggest thing.

His A/T ratio is an important difference imo. He went from 1.5, to 2.0 to 2.7. In addition, he almost doubled his rebounding numbers Jr to Sr year.

Reaction Score
It was brutal. On par with Jerome Dyson. The treatment of CV is mild by comparison.

He played through turf toe and the murder of his best friend one year but the Boneyard jumped all over him for his play.

The tough as nails guys that JC valued are the type of players posters in the forum are most uncomfortable with as a general rule. The "out of control" play is focused by our lenses. To be clear I'm not supporting out of control play. Those players would have been better/be better if they could eliminate that type of play. I just think that in general people in this forum, past and present, are the type of people who value/insist on controlled behavior and as a result we over emphasize the problem.

Funny you bring up Dyson. I got to see him play a lot, both in a UConn uniform and at the Greater Hartford Pro Am. Great athlete, always played hard. I liked him. But he was missing that "winning" quality of some sort, even in the Pro Am setting. For example, he may score 42 points and have 6 dunks, but at crunch time he gets stripped driving the lane and then on the next possession he misses a three and his team loses by 2 or 3.

I think people felt a similar way about AG and/or CV when they would hoist up a long, quick three or drive into the trees regularly. Fortunately AG and CV both seem to "get it" now and are playing really well by playing within themselves. As nice a progression to see as it was with Adams right out of the gate this season.

Reaction Score
There’s a level of accountability now that wasn’t there previously. The past few years, players could take ill advised shots without being accountable. As we saw last game, when DH immediately re-inserted the starters, guys will be held accountable for poor play. DH overtly had AG’s back after the Xavier game, but I suspect he was on him behind the scenes. There doesn’t seem to be any coincidence why AG and CV are starting to play within their abilities.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Funny you bring up Dyson. I got to see him play a lot, both in a UConn uniform and at the Greater Hartford Pro Am. Great athlete, always played hard. I liked him. But he was missing that "winning" quality of some sort, even in the Pro Am setting. For example, he may score 42 points and have 6 dunks, but at crunch time he gets stripped driving the lane and then on the next possession he misses a three and his team loses by 2 or 3.

I think people felt a similar way about AG and/or CV when they would hoist up a long, quick three or drive into the trees regularly. Fortunately AG and CV both seem to "get it" now and are playing really well by playing within themselves. As nice a progression to see as it was with Adams right out of the gate this season.
It’s always a matter of perspective. How much weight do we assign individual events relative to a set of events.

For instance in that Pro Am game what would be the outcome if JD doesn’t play in those games? How much would the absence of his contributions matter? Could they have been made up by other players?

I get upset when I see a quick shot or a drive that gets blocked. I also consider the number of plays that CV and Al do that puts the team in a position to win. In CV’s case the number of contributions far outweighs his negative plays imo. And he makes many of the plays I feel he shouldn’t be making. How do I know this. Because of the number of times I shout for him to not take them only to be proven wrong. So I’m not unbiased in the heat of the moment.

I‘ve been wanting to point out that this is really the first year Al is the primary player playing point. Last year Jalen played the majority of minutes at that position or Al felt the need to defer to him. It’s hard to factor this in considering how long he’s been in the program and I know some people, seeing this statement, will feel I’m making excuses for the kid. Nonetheless for me it’s a factor.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There’s a level of accountability now that wasn’t there previously. The past few years, players could take ill advised shots without being accountable. As we saw last game, when DH immediately re-inserted the starters, guys will be held accountable for poor play. DH overtly had AG’s back after the Xavier game, but I suspect he was on him behind the scenes. There doesn’t seem to be any coincidence why AG and CV are starting to play within their abilities.
Part of the non accountability was due to no alternative options and no depth.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Your memory is faulty, Taliek had better height and great upper body strength that allowed him to absorb contact and finish well around the rim. Outside shooting was his Achilles heel but going to the rim was not a problem,
To my memory, some of the strongest negative criticism came when he would go right into the lane and not go up or through, but instead kind of dead end there. True, he was not small and lost, and he did not go for circus shots that had no chance, but he could get seemingly clogged in the middle. The upper body strength, yes. And, as the season closed he was a notably more reliable free throw shooter.

I think people felt a similar way about AG and/or CV [as with Dyson] when they would hoist up a long, quick three or drive into the trees regularly. Fortunately AG and CV both seem to "get it" now and are playing really well by playing within themselves. As nice a progression to see as it was with Adams right out of the gate this season.
Dyson's Senior year had brutal moments some of which were his own doing, and some because he was asked to do too much without the same level of talent as the year before. This has stayed with me.

I feared that Boat might suffer a similar fate, and that he might get mercilessly trashed. On balance, I think posters here recognized that he couldn't be superhuman, and he didn't look as bad when he couldn't pull it off.

I had similar thoughts last year with Jalen. Mixed results, but I still had, "Please don't become Jerome" thoughts.

Up through Xavier, the discussion here was tilting that way regarding CV and Al. I am very thankful to be watching the supporting cast growing up around them; hearing a head coach offer strong defense of his players and clear full-staff coaching to noticeably address weaknesses; and, most importantly, winning, which soothes the savage impulse in some of us.

Reaction Score
Part of the non accountability was due to no alternative options and no depth.
I think that was definitely the case last year. I was going to add that caveat regarding last season because Hurley really didn’t have other options.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think that was definitely the case last year. I was going to add that caveat regarding last season because Hurley really didn’t have other options.
It was obvious to me what you intended but stated it just in case it wasn’t obvious to others.

Reaction Score
It was obvious to me what you intended but stated it just in case it wasn’t obvious to others.
Also, the first handful of games, he wasn't finishing at all and missing half of his free throws. Last year, AG was finishing around the rim at a higher rate than early this year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
To my memory, some of the strongest negative criticism came when he would go right into the lane and not go up or through, but instead kind of dead end there. True, he was not small and lost, and he did not go for circus shots that had no chance, but he could get seemingly clogged in the middle. The upper body strength, yes. And, as the season closed he was a notably more reliable free throw shooter.

Dyson's Senior year had brutal moments some of which were his own doing, and some because he was asked to do too much without the same level of talent as the year before. This has stayed with me.

I feared that Boat might suffer a similar fate, and that he might get mercilessly trashed. On balance, I think posters here recognized that he couldn't be superhuman, and he didn't look as bad when he couldn't pull it off.

I had similar thoughts last year with Jalen. Mixed results, but I still had, "Please don't become Jerome" thoughts.

Up through Xavier, the discussion here was tilting that way regarding CV and Al. I am very thankful to be watching the supporting cast growing up around them; hearing a head coach offer strong defense of his players and clear full-staff coaching to noticeably address weaknesses; and, most importantly, winning, which soothes the savage impulse in some of us.

Boat got a pass because he's universally acknowledged as being a massive part of banner #4.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Boat got a pass because he's universally acknowledged as being a massive part of banner #4.
And because he didn't have a Boat of his covering his back.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
As I remember, Talik had a propensity, like the Roadrunner-Coyote cartoons, to charge the basket and disappear in the dust cloud of bigs. Like AG.
Three on one team: Ricky M., KEA, Rash Jones. One of the most memorable moments for me, homeboy Rash tripping up Langdon when the buzzer sounded and we won the Duke Invitational. Never gets old:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom